As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Achieve your dreams… or post in [chat]?

• Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    weekend motherfuckers

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    credeiki wrote: »
    Kamiro wrote: »
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    credeiki I got to play some battletech last night and I am hankering for some right now.

My cent build was super solid.

AC/5 in the arm+2 SRM4s+SRM6. Maxed armor mostly. Was able to always alpha strike. The right positioning is wonky but it is mostly staying around 90-100 m away for max missile+ac damage.

I actually swapped it down to three SRM/4s for another ton of ammo and got an AC/5++ in it before bed. Looking forward to using it more.

I'm really looking forward to playing more tonight/this weekend; I didn't get to yesterday and I am jonesing

I have to go to a wedding instead of playing Battletech. I still need to find a mech that is heavier than 65 tons.

I have two different Orion models :D

I might have to reload an old save cuz I'm broke :(

• Options
    HaphazardHaphazard Registered User regular
    I have a Dragon and a Jeagermech. Both seem kinda underwhelming.
    I have to do something about the Jaeger, it's like a heavy mech built out of paper.

• Options
    and fatherfuckers I don't discriminate

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    credeiki I got to play some battletech last night and I am hankering for some right now.

AC/5 in the arm+2 SRM4s+SRM6. Maxed armor mostly. Was able to always alpha strike. The right positioning is wonky but it is mostly staying around 90-100 m away for max missile+ac damage.

I actually swapped it down to three SRM/4s for another ton of ammo and got an AC/5++ in it before bed. Looking forward to using it more.

I'm really looking forward to playing more tonight/this weekend; I didn't get to yesterday and I am jonesing

I have to go to a wedding instead of playing Battletech. I still need to find a mech that is heavier than 65 tons.

The Orion is one of my favorite mechs. Super versatile. Also one of the mechs I always did well with MWO.

I kind of want to build the most massive missile boat catapult.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    Trace wrote: »
    Doodmann wrote: »
    I don't think Musk is a capitalist scumbag. I think he's just about as far away as you can get from that without entirely leaving his companies.

People under him might be shit, and Musk might not have the same opinion as you and me but I don't think he actively wants to harm his workers or his companies.

*cough* http://nymag.com/selectall/2018/04/tesla-workers-getting-hurt-because-elon-musk-hates-yellow.html

If Musk is running that factory personally, then fine. That's his fault.

Otherwise it's whoever is managing the factory who's dumb enough to take Musk's personal preferences into account for that crap.

When a company is run like a personal fiefdom, that sort of thing is pretty much guaranteed to happen because the boss is the boss.

• Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    milski wrote: »
    Like, fucking shit, that's the kind of thing you'd write into a guy running a 1900s meat packing plant to ensure the viewers know he's eeeeeeeeeviiiiiiiil

Turns out that the moustache twirling villain thing became a stereotype because it's how some people actually act

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    I saw a hornet in my backyard yesterday

Today I pay a man to murder every insect possible

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    Why not use orange if you don't like yellow?

Orange has yellow in it. Disgusting. Let them eat cake.

How about hot pink?

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    Ludious wrote: »
    Patton Oswalt has specifically addressed saying shitty things in the past and pretty much every time he's called out for his words he's pretty apologetic and agrees it was wrong.
    I mean 12 years ago I was 20x worse than Patton so I dunno. There's gotta be a balance for being accountable for your past words and having them held against you forever. Eventually we're gonna have to reconcile this in our digital world

for me pretty much anything is forgivable if the person shows a willingness to understand and change

it's patterns of unrepentant shittiness that should be condemned

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    credeikicredeiki Registered User regular

I keep accidentally coring the big guys. I blame my guy with the AC/20. I have a couple that are at 2/3 salvage. Two of which are the same mech but different variants.

Oh I only ever go for CT except in very specific circumstances.
    Better to do more missions and just slowly accumulate salvage than to risk injuring your guys and getting your mechs worn down in long battles with low% shots aiming to get more items in a matched set. I had to do a lot of missions to accumulate that salvage 1/3 at a time.

Steam, LoL: credeiki
  • Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    a5ehren wrote: »
    Couscous wrote: »
    BeNarwhal wrote: »
    I think it's probably pretty important to differentiate Musk's accomplishments at SpaceX (which is a private company and also a spaceflight company) and his comparative lack thereof with Tesla (which is a publicly-traded company and is not great so far at being an automotive company)

More specifically, this conference call was about Tesla's underperformance which, as many have pointed out, is something the CEO is responsible for particularly when they're are financially-invested shareholders concerned

It doesn't matter how many rockets SpaceX has landed

It should also be noted that Musk is competing with well established car companies who -really- don't want him all up in their business and his entrance into the field -alone- probably pushed automated cars ahead by 10 years because Ford, GM, and the rest suddenly went "oh shit automation might happen by someone who isn't us" and started dumping money into it.

I don't even really care about the business aspects of this, so that's unfair for me to bring up really. I'm just interested in the science and that someone is spending $$$$ on several really important and interesting projects.

That would be hilarious given how bad Tesla has been about automation.

Is anyone better?

For driving, Waymo is way ahead of basically everyone else, last I heard.

For manufacturing, I dunno.

I assume Google is eventually just going to buy Chevy or someone. Why re-invent the part that's already been streamlined over the last 100 years.

GM actually has their own fairly decent automation program and some experience with EVs, so they may be OK on their own.

Ford is way behind in automation, so I suspect they'd be the ones on the block if it turns out to be viable at large-scale.

I kind of figured Ford was too big and too international at this point.

Ford's market cap is actually a bit smaller than GM's. Both are valued at roughly 5% of Alphabet.

Thanks for reminding me how massive and catastrophic the web2.0 bubble is going to be.

Apple is closing in on a 1T market cap, which I believe would make them the first ever trillion-dollar company.

• Options
    navgoosenavgoose Registered User regular
    Not reporting injuries is of only minor evil-tude.

Firing people for being injured and then rewriting the incident to be their fault is maximum evil.

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    and i know my privilege and all that but we can't live in a world where people are forever condemned for what they've done in the past, regardless of any other circumstances

• Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited May 2018
    I've been trying to paint more of my large collection of D&D minis and people tell me I'm getting better but then I go look at other people's paintjobs and they're sooo gooooooood

fffffffffffffff

I can't paint the rest of the fucking owl

override367 on
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Bogart wrote: »
    American health care, fuck yeah!

Its certainly always stuck out in my mind as the pinnacle of "best healthcare in the world."

It was equally nice years later after my son was born to get a bill addressed to him, billed to an insurance that doesn't exist with a price tag of 10k. GOD BLESS AMERICA!

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited May 2018
    Why not use orange if you don't like yellow?

Orange has yellow in it. Disgusting. Let them eat cake.

How about hot pink?

Not a good safety colour. Pinks and purples, even highly saturated, can look grey to me and I'm only moderately colourblind

Evil Multifarious on
  • Options
    as an employee killing robot

If I get this positon that I interviewed for on short notice yesterday, I will be happy to refer you to another corporation.

I have a bacon press with a wooden handle, is it safe to throw in the oven at 400 degrees? I was going to cook some steaks tonight and leave the press on top of them when they go in.

It might not catch fire

you shouldn't try tho

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    Chanus wrote: »
    and i know my privilege and all that but we can't live in a world where people are forever condemned for what they've done in the past, regardless of any other circumstances

Well, not with that attitude we can't

• Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    I don't think Musk is a capitalist scumbag. I think he's just about as far away as you can get from that without entirely leaving his companies.

People under him might be shit, and Musk might not have the same opinion as you and me but I don't think he actively wants to harm his workers or his companies.

Musk is anti union and unsurprisingly that leads to crazily stupid, unsafe things based on his whims that any union would immediately fix.

https://www.revealnews.org/article/tesla-says-its-factory-is-safer-but-it-left-injuries-off-the-books/

He literally won't let his factory use yellow because he hates the color! People got hurt and his response was to cook the books!

Like everyone with an obscene amount of money, he is indeed actually an ardent capitalist and actually as much of a scumbag as that implies.

The fact that he seems kind of cool from a distance if you squint doesn't mean he's not just another robber baron.

A good tell is if anyone who runs a company is really against the workers unionizing.

Or like if they let a bunch of people get maimed and then tell everyone to keep quiet I guess that also works.

Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    I'm a little bit leery of the "musk doesn't like yellow so there's no yellow" line

not that I discount what the people are saying in that article completely but I'm taking it with a pinch of salt

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular

*cough* http://nymag.com/selectall/2018/04/tesla-workers-getting-hurt-because-elon-musk-hates-yellow.html

Otherwise it's whoever is managing the factory who's dumb enough to take Musk's personal preferences into account for that crap.

In recent interviews, Musk has talked about literally living at the factory to make it run better (in the context of hitting production targets). So yes, he is personally running it.

Even if he wasn't, he's still responsible for how his managers act! If he's promoting people who are going to do dumb, wrong shit because of his aesthetic preferences, or if people he promoted start doing that and he doesn't push back, then he's still culpable. We (well, people, not the government) don't let major banks off the hook for signing up tons of people for fake accounts because their management structure just pressured low level employees to do it in a deniable way. Why should we let Musk get away with things being unsafe just because he rewards people for doing unsafe shit that he likes?

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    what if we hire homeless veterans to stand and wave their arms and yell CAUTION! ¡CUIDADO! at danger areas

everybody wins

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Bogart wrote: »
    American health care, fuck yeah!

My healthcare is totes awesome

• Options
    credeikicredeiki Registered User regular
    Haphazard wrote: »
    I have to do something about the Jaeger, it's like a heavy mech built out of paper.

For a while I was running an AC10 and 2 AC/5s on the Jager, and keeping it at pretty long range, and that was good, except there were only 8 AC10 bullets, which got iffy in long engagements.

Then the AC10 arm got blown off and I decided to just go for 3 AC5s and a bit more ammo, which left me with some weight allowance to increase armor. So now the Jager is tanky and does very reliable solid damage from quite long range.

The Orion is one of my favorite mechs. Super versatile. Also one of the mechs I always did well with MWO.

One of the Orions is just running 2LRM20 and 1LRM15 and it is really fun

also putting someone without multishot in it so you can't split fire, and using it to take out a vehicle. Vehicle dies partway through the first volley and then you send another 40 or so missiles into its exploded chassis for massive overkill. It's really funny to watch

Steam, LoL: credeiki
  • Options
    My wife has professional medical billing experience and was on top of both our insurance companies for the kid's births.

Of course there were billing shennannigans but she quashed them quite effectively.

• Options
    TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular

In recent interviews, Musk has talked about literally living at the factory to make it run better (in the context of hitting production targets). So yes, he is personally running it.

Even if he wasn't, he's still responsible for how his managers act! If he's promoting people who are going to do dumb, wrong shit because of his aesthetic preferences, or if people he promoted start doing that and he doesn't push back, then he's still culpable. We (well, people, not the government) don't let major banks off the hook for signing up tons of people for fake accounts because their management structure just pressured low level employees to do it in a deniable way. Why should we let Musk get away with things being unsafe just because he rewards people for doing unsafe shit that he likes?

-we shouldn't-

There are probably a dozen people between Musk and the actual management of that factory. If he says it in an interview does it make a true or just another hyperbolic statement?

• Options
    TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    Of course the best thing for him to have done was stomp down on that shit and go "my personal preferences don't mean shit when it comes to safety" but hell I'm not taking something he said in a news article as faith.

• Options
    edited May 2018
    but also yes I am totally in camp "it's Musk's personal responsibility"

because of course it is ultimately his responsibility, he's the owner

buck stops exactly there

EDIT: but, of course, an owner isn't omniscient

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    Anything is fashionable on a good looking person.
    rjhg9gipdgci.png

• Options
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    I'm a little bit leery of the "musk doesn't like yellow so there's no yellow" line

not that I discount what the people are saying in that article completely but I'm taking it with a pinch of salt

If it was like, a common but not universal safety practice, or something that would cost money, I'd be a bit leery about that explanation as well. But yellow warnings is literally universal and basically free, so the only reasons for not having yellow are an insane demand from management, or being a fly-by-night hackjob of a facility that never hired any safety consultants or blatantly ignored them. Neither is good.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    It would be hilarious to find out Musk holds certifications on a few of the manufacturing tasks and helps out on the floor when things get bottlenecked/

• Options

For a while I was running an AC10 and 2 AC/5s on the Jager, and keeping it at pretty long range, and that was good, except there were only 8 AC10 bullets, which got iffy in long engagements.

Then the AC10 arm got blown off and I decided to just go for 3 AC5s and a bit more ammo, which left me with some weight allowance to increase armor. So now the Jager is tanky and does very reliable solid damage from quite long range.

One of the Orions is just running 2LRM20 and 1LRM15 and it is really fun

also putting someone without multishot in it so you can't split fire, and using it to take out a vehicle. Vehicle dies partway through the first volley and then you send another 40 or so missiles into its exploded chassis for massive overkill. It's really funny to watch

My current builds (I am still early game):

Shadowhawk-JJ, max armor, LRM10+LRM5, Large Laser
    Centurion-Max armor, AC5++, 3xSRM4
    Jenner-2x ML, JJ, 2x SRM2
    Vindicator-1xPPC, 3xML, 1xSL with JJ and lots of overheating still good though

Also a Blackjack with 2xAC2+2xML with max armor.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    Abdhyius wrote: »

If it was like, a common but not universal safety practice, or something that would cost money, I'd be a bit leery about that explanation as well. But yellow warnings is literally universal and basically free, so the only reasons for not having yellow are an insane demand from management, or being a fly-by-night hackjob of a facility that never hired any safety consultants or blatantly ignored them. Neither is good.

I mean the factory's rebuttal of pictures of things that are yellow is a pretty decent rebuttal that serves to make me think that the complainer is at least a little hyperbolic

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    The Jagermech is an excellent chassis for a heavy 'Mech weapons platform! Both variants can be built into something good. But you need to max out their armor (sort of... when I say "Max out armor", I really mean max out front armor, but you can strip off a ton or two from the rear armor since it's highly unlikely that you will get flanked and cored out if you play well). You get around 23 tons of weapons after maxing out Front armor.

The JM6-A is a missile carrier. You can make it your main missile boat and slap on a pair of LRM 20s and 3 tons of ammo. Or you can dump a bunch of SRM-4s (which saves you on heat compared to SRM-6s), a couple tons of ammo, a pair of Medium Lasers, and heat sinks/jump jets to taste, and make it a formidable mid-range brawler. I'd always fill the support hardpoints, too, with a pair of Small Lasers, since 1 ton = 40 damage, which is a great value proposition.

The JM6-S is a nice Energy Weapon boat and Ballistics platform. I'd put an AC-20 on there with two tons of ammo, and fill up the rest of the tonnage with Medium and Small Lasers to fill up the hardpoints.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    Me af

poo
  • Options

-we shouldn't-

There are probably a dozen people between Musk and the actual management of that factory. If he says it in an interview does it make a true or just another hyperbolic statement?

Unless Tesla has a Google level hyper-vertical structure where people are promoted to basically be the supervisor of a single person in a giant chain, nah, the GM/VP of the Tesla factory is going to be 1-3 rungs down from Tesla and would almost certainly be meeting with him personally. Even if he wasn't "running the factory" when he was staying there, he absolutely would have face-time with the people running it.

Like, this isn't some local grocery store shift superintendent claiming that Warren Buffet personally wrote their safety policy; Musk is absolutely in a position to personally know about the operations of his factory to some extent.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    edited May 2018
    I will hear no criticism of our modern-day Edison.

Laa laa aaaaaaaaaaa can't hear youu

spool32 on
  • Options
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »
    The Jagermech is an excellent chassis for a heavy 'Mech weapons platform! Both variants can be built into something good. But you need to max out their armor (sort of... when I say "Max out armor", I really mean max out front armor, but you can strip off a ton or two from the rear armor since it's highly unlikely that you will get flanked and cored out if you play well). You get around 23 tons of weapons after maxing out Front armor.

The JM6-A is a missile carrier. You can make it your main missile boat and slap on a pair of LRM 20s and 3 tons of ammo. Or you can dump a bunch of SRM-4s (which saves you on heat compared to SRM-6s), a couple tons of ammo, a pair of Medium Lasers, and heat sinks/jump jets to taste, and make it a formidable mid-range brawler. I'd always fill the support hardpoints, too, with a pair of Small Lasers, since 1 ton = 40 damage, which is a great value proposition.

The JM6-S is a nice Energy Weapon boat and Ballistics platform. I'd put an AC-20 on there with two tons of ammo, and fill up the rest of the tonnage with Medium and Small Lasers to fill up the hardpoints.

I miss being able to strip out the insides for ferro fibrous.

My jager in MWO runs two AC/20s.

It was hilarious.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »
    Anything is fashionable on a good looking person.
    rjhg9gipdgci.png

equally even fashionable things look bad on unattractive people :C

rules of life apply, be good looking, dont be not good looking ect

This discussion has been closed.