Options

Achieve your dreams… or post in [chat]?

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    MrMister wrote: »
    Do first responders actually check wallets for medical information cards?

I'm supposed to get one but I'm not sure whether that's real news advice or how helpful they really are (drug info says to get one, but my doc never mentioned it)

I don't know about that, I do know when I was in the ER I had to provide my insurance info before they even started treatment and I was throwing up fucking bile and was cold from shock.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    edited May 2018
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    milski wrote: »
    I may be a bit personally biased because when i went to a career fair at college SpaceX was recruiting and they were incredibly open about the fact that the hours were shit, the pay was shit, and you have to "love Elon Musk" to work there (that's an actual quote). Like... it was honestly sad and I felt bad for the people at the booth, they had less enthusiasm than the randos from small fry operations, and i felt bad for any of my clasmates who took a 20+k paycut to worship some guy who wishes they'd make even less money

I think Dynagrip knows folks who actually work there since he use to work for NASA.

It's possible this isn't all people or that a particularly bad crop got to my college or that things have changed, but it does line up with other stories I've heard about working there so it stuck with me

milski on
    I ate an engineer
  • Options
    TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »
    Trace wrote: »
    BeNarwhal wrote: »
    I think it's probably pretty important to differentiate Musk's accomplishments at SpaceX (which is a private company and also a spaceflight company) and his comparative lack thereof with Tesla (which is a publicly-traded company and is not great so far at being an automotive company)

More specifically, this conference call was about Tesla's underperformance which, as many have pointed out, is something the CEO is responsible for particularly when they're are financially-invested shareholders concerned

It doesn't matter how many rockets SpaceX has landed

It should also be noted that Musk is competing with well established car companies who -really- don't want him all up in their business and his entrance into the field -alone- probably pushed automated cars ahead by 10 years because Ford, GM, and the rest suddenly went "oh shit automation might happen by someone who isn't us" and started dumping money into it.

I don't even really care about the business aspects of this, so that's unfair for me to bring up really. I'm just interested in the science and that someone is spending $$$$ on several really important and interesting projects.

That would be hilarious given how bad Tesla has been about automation.

Is anyone better?

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    I think it's probably pretty important to differentiate Musk's accomplishments at SpaceX (which is a private company and also a spaceflight company) and his comparative lack thereof with Tesla (which is a publicly-traded company and is not great so far at being an automotive company)

More specifically, this conference call was about Tesla's underperformance which, as many have pointed out, is something the CEO is responsible for particularly when they're are financially-invested shareholders concerned

It should also be noted that Musk is competing with well established car companies who -really- don't want him all up in their business and his entrance into the field -alone- probably pushed automated cars ahead by 10 years because Ford, GM, and the rest suddenly went "oh shit automation might happen by someone who isn't us" and started dumping money into it.

I don't even really care about the business aspects of this, so that's unfair for me to bring up really. I'm just interested in the science and that someone is spending $$$$ on several really important and interesting projects.

Is anyone better?

All of them?

• Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    Tesla is skipping to the future what with the employee killing robots

• Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    My apartment has a leak. There's water in an electrical outlet outside the bathroom which we found due to the crackling noises and the wall above the shower is damp and has a little bit of a bulge at the bottom, as if water is collecting behind it. Turned off the breaker last night and noises stopped except for the dripping noise in the ceiling. This morning the dripping has upgraded to a light drizzle sound instead of a slow dripping. Called maintenance last night of course and they're supposed to come out this morning but man I hate that I have to be at work while my apartment is maybe flooding.

So maintenance came by and I talked to them. Apparently the people that live above us fucked with their pipes and caused a leak. Maintenance was like "We fixed the leak, all good" but didn't do anything about our power outlet making crackling noises. They assure me that if there's a risk of fire the breaker would automatically trip and stop, but since the outlet is full of water and making crackling noises I don't know that I believe that? They did say they're going to replace the outlet but I had to return to work so hopefully that's getting done. (When I came back in they had just looked at it and turned the breaker back on, so it was making those crackling noises when I came in to the empty apartment)

But they also said that since the leak is stopped, once the water drains out we should be good, but the area above the shower is still pretty damn and the wall is soft and bulging outwards at the bottom where the wall meets the shower tile at the top of the shower. I hope that makes sense.

Waffles is concerned that if they just let it drain out and that's it that it will mold and be rather unhealthy. I'm concerned the wall is gonna cave in on me in the shower. Are these reasonable concerns that we should fight the apartment to fix?

The outlet might, if it gets hit badly, say pow and smell burnt but that's in all likelihood the worst that could happen

You should perhaps fight them on the water damage though, that's more worrying than mere fire

They're also seemingly convinced that if the water drains out (Into the carport below our apartment, where it is dripping onto a car with a broken window that is parked there to avoid the rain, whoops) that everything will be fine but I'm pretty sure it'll still be gross and moldy.

I assume when they replace the outlet they'll notice if it's still got water dripping down onto power lines or something. Maybe this is me being too generous.

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    @credeiki I got to play some battletech last night and I am hankering for some right now.

My cent build was super solid.

AC/5 in the arm+2 SRM4s+SRM6. Maxed armor mostly. Was able to always alpha strike. The right positioning is wonky but it is mostly staying around 90-100 m away for max missile+ac damage.

I actually swapped it down to three SRM/4s for another ton of ammo and got an AC/5++ in it before bed. Looking forward to using it more.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    as an employee killing robot

• Options
    TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular

NOTED

• Options
    MrMisterMrMister Jesus dying on the cross in pain? Morally better than us. One has to go "all in".Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »

I'm supposed to get one but I'm not sure whether that's real news advice or how helpful they really are (drug info says to get one, but my doc never mentioned it)

I don't know about that, I do know when I was in the ER I had to provide my insurance info before they even started treatment and I was throwing up fucking bile and was cold from shock.

That is legit crazy, and like, possibly low key against the law

(idk how they determine how emergent is too emergent to dick around with forms)

• Options
    HerrCronHerrCron It that wickedly supports taxation Registered User regular
    I heard we were killing robots

I'm in.

sig.gif
  • Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular

Is anyone better?

For driving, Waymo is way ahead of basically everyone else, last I heard.

For manufacturing, I dunno.

• Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    Its kind of a mercy that employee killing robots both steal your job and life at the same time so you dont have to try and compete in the post automation apocalypse labor force

• Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    edited May 2018

If I get this positon that I interviewed for on short notice yesterday, I will be happy to refer you to another corporation.

I have a bacon press with a wooden handle, is it safe to throw in the oven at 400 degrees? I was going to cook some steaks tonight and leave the press on top of them when they go in.

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited May 2018

Is anyone better?

About driving automation: I think I remember readijg other companies didn't put Tesla's style of automation in card yet because it leads to overconfidence in its safety, not that they can't do it. Everything I have read indicates Waymo and Google's self driving cars are the best right now.

About manufacturing automation: I don't see any other car manufacturer hitting only 40% of their production rate target, half a year after they were supposed to hit 100%, while also doing nonstandard dumb shit like "no yellow" that hurts their safety record, which they cook the books on. So... all of them are better, probably.

milski on
    I ate an engineer
  • Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    a5ehren wrote: »

Is anyone better?

I assume Google is eventually just going to buy Chevy or someone. Why re-invent the part that's already been streamlined over the last 100 years.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular

Depends on the triage nurse/front desk.

Still standing though you are puking? Not going to drop dead right there. Can probably get the information.

Bleeding all over the floor? Yeah you go straight back.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    credeikicredeiki Registered User regular

Bolded is what I heavily agree with, yeah.

Is Musk the greatest guy to be doing this? Obviously no.

But the greater guy ain't doing it yet, so

Yeah, that's how I feel as well. It's really important to drive technology forward and I think it's important enough that I want it to happen even if it comes at a pretty heavy cost.

Of course, what is terrible here is that you definitely could drive technology forward without being a capitalist scumbag, and no one is choosing to do that. However, given the option between progress+scum, and no progress, since those seem to be the only options available, I choose the former. I mean, not that I get to choose; I'm not an investor or a regulator, and the most I could do to affect any of this would be to try to work (or not) for one of these companies, and then do a good job or not.

Steam, LoL: credeiki
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular

A later nurse tried to convince me it was because they were busy and the payment person wasn't, but yeah it stuck out in my mind that I wasn't getting treatment but they sure as fuck made sure I was going to be able to pay.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
  • Options
    navgoosenavgoose Registered User regular
    If the leak was short term and fixed then the water actually does drain out, you shouldn't suddenly have mold issues. Bathroom drywall is supposed to be the mold resistant stuff.

But if your electrical ain't on a GFCI in the bathroom, they might also have skipped the green sheetrock.

• Options
    Doodmann wrote: »

Is anyone better?

I assume Google is eventually just going to buy Chevy or someone. Why re-invent the part that's already been streamlined over the last 100 years.

GM actually has their own fairly decent automation program and some experience with EVs, so they may be OK on their own.

Ford is way behind in automation, so I suspect they'd be the ones on the block if it turns out to be viable at large-scale.

• Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    Patton Oswalt has specifically addressed saying shitty things in the past and pretty much every time he's called out for his words he's pretty apologetic and agrees it was wrong.
    I mean 12 years ago I was 20x worse than Patton so I dunno. There's gotta be a balance for being accountable for your past words and having them held against you forever. Eventually we're gonna have to reconcile this in our digital world

• Options
    credeiki I got to play some battletech last night and I am hankering for some right now.

AC/5 in the arm+2 SRM4s+SRM6. Maxed armor mostly. Was able to always alpha strike. The right positioning is wonky but it is mostly staying around 90-100 m away for max missile+ac damage.

I actually swapped it down to three SRM/4s for another ton of ammo and got an AC/5++ in it before bed. Looking forward to using it more.

I'm really looking forward to playing more tonight/this weekend; I didn't get to yesterday and I am jonesing

• Options

Is anyone better?

GM actually has their own fairly decent automation program and some experience with EVs, so they may be OK on their own.

Ford is way behind in automation, so I suspect they'd be the ones on the block if it turns out to be viable at large-scale.

I kind of figured Ford was too big and too international at this point.

I like to ART
  • Options
    I don't think Musk is a capitalist scumbag. I think he's just about as far away as you can get from that without entirely leaving his companies.

People under him might be shit, and Musk might not have the same opinion as you and me but I don't think he actively wants to harm his workers or his companies.

• Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    Huh.

So turns out that Celine Dion Deadpool thing is real.

I thought that was a May's Bamboozle Day thing.

• Options
    I don't think Musk is a capitalist scumbag. I think he's just about as far away as you can get from that without entirely leaving his companies.

People under him might be shit, and Musk might not have the same opinion as you and me but I don't think he actively wants to harm his workers or his companies.

*cough* http://nymag.com/selectall/2018/04/tesla-workers-getting-hurt-because-elon-musk-hates-yellow.html

I like to ART
  • Options
    BeNarwhalBeNarwhal The Work Left Unfinished Registered User regular

A later nurse tried to convince me it was because they were busy and the payment person wasn't, but yeah it stuck out in my mind that I wasn't getting treatment but they sure as fuck made sure I was going to be able to pay.

Assuming that everyone who requires a nurse's attention is also required to pay, how would it be possible that the nurses were so busy they couldn't adequately render treatment, but the payment people had sufficient time to basically meet you at the door

If nothing else that reeks of, perhaps, mishandled prioritization

• Options
    QanamilQanamil x Registered User regular
    Check out these goofy derby hats:

http://gardenandgun.com/slideshow/50-of-our-favorite-derby-hats/list/

It's like low-stakes Miss Universe dresses and pretty great.

• Options
    Kamiro wrote: »
    credeiki wrote: »
    credeiki I got to play some battletech last night and I am hankering for some right now.

I'm really looking forward to playing more tonight/this weekend; I didn't get to yesterday and I am jonesing

I have to go to a wedding instead of playing Battletech. I still need to find a mech that is heavier than 65 tons.

I have two different Orion models :D

• Options
    BeNarwhalBeNarwhal The Work Left Unfinished Registered User regular
    HerrCron wrote: »
    I heard we were killing robots

I'm in.

Employee, killing robots

• Options
    edited May 2018

Is anyone better?

Ford's market cap is actually a bit smaller than GM's. Both are valued at roughly 7% of Alphabet.

a5ehren on
  • Options

Musk is anti union and unsurprisingly that leads to crazily stupid, unsafe things based on his whims that any union would immediately fix.

https://www.revealnews.org/article/tesla-says-its-factory-is-safer-but-it-left-injuries-off-the-books/

He literally won't let his factory use yellow because he hates the color! People got hurt and his response was to cook the books!

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Why not use orange if you don't like yellow?

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options

Is anyone better?

Ford's market cap is actually a bit smaller than GM's. Both are valued at roughly 5% of Alphabet.

Thanks for reminding me how massive and catastrophic the web2.0 bubble is going to be.

I like to ART
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    Why not use orange if you don't like yellow?

Orange has yellow in it. Disgusting. Let them eat cake.

• Options
    Like, fucking shit, that's the kind of thing you'd write into a guy running a 1900s meat packing plant to ensure the viewers know he's eeeeeeeeeviiiiiiiil

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    daddy's got a beer

daddy's happy

ftOqU21.png
  • Options

*cough* http://nymag.com/selectall/2018/04/tesla-workers-getting-hurt-because-elon-musk-hates-yellow.html

If Musk is running that factory personally, then fine. That's his fault.

Otherwise it's whoever is managing the factory who's dumb enough to take Musk's personal preferences into account for that crap.

This discussion has been closed.