Options

Achieve your dreams… or post in [chat]?

• Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    MrMister wrote: »
    Basically, the absolute worst thing that could happen to American corporate governance structure would be if executives somehow got ~even more~ power to tell shareholders to fuck off

Shareholders are the little people!
    It's the exact opposite at the company I work for. Shareholders get special hiring status, and take an active role in governing the company, also running afoul of a shareholder is a good way to end up in the unemployment line.

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Basically, the absolute worst thing that could happen to American corporate governance structure would be if executives somehow got ~even more~ power to tell shareholders to fuck off

Shareholders are mostly other rich people.

~20% may be little people.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    milski wrote: »
    Nova_C wrote: »
    Trace wrote: »
    Eh, long as Musk keeps launching rockets I'm don't care how weird his meetings go or what he does in them.

The entire financial industry controls basically everything, but produces nothing. I would like more people to shut them out like that.
    Except he has a financial and legal obligation to his shareholders and those that invest in his company.

Yep, he totally does.

Just as do most companies.

Which is why short term gains by pillaging a company is so common. And the business dies, and the people lose their jobs, and the financiers who ran the company just move on to the next place to pillage.

But that's not even what's happening here. Musk is selling investors on blatant overpromises of his competency while failing to deliver and (for safety violations at least) actively covering up issues.

This isn't corporate suits asking to loot Tesla, this is corporate suits asking why the fuck Musk keeps making Molyneux level hype promises he can't deliver.

In his defense (A)it's working, and (B) he doesn't give a shit since because he's already a billionaire and (C) refer to A

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    Eh, long as Musk keeps launching rockets I'm don't care how weird his meetings go or what he does in them.

The entire financial industry controls basically everything, but produces nothing. I would like more people to shut them out like that.
    Except he has a financial and legal obligation to his shareholders and those that invest in his company.

Yep, he totally does.

Which is why short term gains by pillaging a company is so common. And the business dies, and the people lose their jobs, and the financiers who ran the company just move on to the next place to pillage.

But that's not even what's happening here. Musk is selling investors on blatant overpromises of his competency while failing to deliver and (for safety violations at least) actively covering up issues.

This isn't corporate suits asking to loot Tesla, this is corporate suits asking why the fuck Musk keeps making Molyneux level hype promises he can't deliver.

I mean.

He's landing rockets. Are some of the things he promises totally goddamn out there. Yeah.

But he's delivering on promises, even if it's not as quick as he says.

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular

Yep, he totally does.

I mean.

He's landing rockets. Are some of the things he promises totally goddamn out there. Yeah.

Promises on timing are promises.

• Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    Doodmann wrote: »

Yep, he totally does.

In his defense (A)it's working, and (B) he doesn't give a shit since because he's already a billionaire and (C) refer to A

I mean, it's working in that up until this point people still had enough faith to fund Tesla, but given the tide is turning on that I'm pretty sure burning institutional investors is a bad plan.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    Like I know by now SpaceX landing -another- rocket isn't news anymore. But it's the biggest goddamn change we've had in the space industry in decades.

Credit where credit is due.

• Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    I took a video last night of the outlet and the noise it was making, then moved the camera over to get audio of the dripping sound in the bathroom.

The maintenance guy told me the outlet should trip the breaker if there's a risk of fire, but there's no buttons on the outlet like it's one of those GFCI outlets, so I think he's wrong about this one?

https://youtu.be/DgtWrr2t7PI

But hey they're fixing this outlet I guess, I'm just worried about the water damage on the wall. I guess if the landlord doesn't wanna fix it we just buy some mold reducing candles for a month or something. Do those exist? Something like that probably exists.

I have a central RCD in the circuit box - that's the standard here - which means that all sockets in the apartment has ground fault protection. That may not be the case where you're at.

That sounds more like electrical noises than dripping to me, but maybe it's tough to tell over a phone video compared to how it is when you're next to it. I feel like if the socket was ground fault protected it should have already tripped the breaker as soon as any water at all entered the socket. If those noises are electrical in origin then your maintenance guy is fairly certainly wrong about the socket being on any RCD protection.

I would probably manually go in the cabinet and trip the breaker for that socket or room just to be sure. I have had fire in a wall due to - weak - current leakage before.

PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    Atomika that video is 12 years old. I agree it's awful, but I don't think it's something he'd say now, so he's learned it was wrong. It's disappointing, I guess, but it doesn't form the entire body of evidence by which I judge his character.

• Options
    Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    @Donkey Kong okay but what if I found a gif of a man smashing star wars legos with his erect wang dressed as a tie fighter
    would that be an appropriate improvement to may the fourth be with you

• Options
    Couscous wrote: »

Yep, he totally does.

I mean.

Promises on timing are promises.

Call it business then.

Or science.

Not like either choice never goes over budget or over the deadline. Musk has a proven track record, even if he's a bit hyperbolic at times.

• Options
    MrMisterMrMister Jesus dying on the cross in pain? Morally better than us. One has to go "all in".Registered User regular
    Mazzyx wrote: »

50% of families have stocks, directly or indirectly (through e.g. retirement funds), but upon googling the first study I found indicated that you're right about the distribution in value--90% of stock value being owned by the top 10% of families

• Options
    ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    yNueGHJ.jpg

aRkpc.gif
  • Options

50% of families have stocks, directly or indirectly (through e.g. retirement funds), but upon googling the first study I found indicated that you're right about the distribution in value--90% of stock value being owned by the top 10% of families

Yeah it's

not that different from where all the money winds up these days.

• Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    Bogart wrote: »
    Atomika that video is 12 years old. I agree it's awful, but I don't think it's something he'd say now, so he's learned it was wrong. It's disappointing, I guess, but it doesn't form the entire body of evidence by which I judge his character.

that's why i don't like that Everything is archived on the Internet.

I was a petty edgelord ten years ago.

• Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    I just can't even fathom Elon Musk fan worship out of everyone available on the planet to Stan for

• Options
    My apartment has a leak. There's water in an electrical outlet outside the bathroom which we found due to the crackling noises and the wall above the shower is damp and has a little bit of a bulge at the bottom, as if water is collecting behind it. Turned off the breaker last night and noises stopped except for the dripping noise in the ceiling. This morning the dripping has upgraded to a light drizzle sound instead of a slow dripping. Called maintenance last night of course and they're supposed to come out this morning but man I hate that I have to be at work while my apartment is maybe flooding.

So maintenance came by and I talked to them. Apparently the people that live above us fucked with their pipes and caused a leak. Maintenance was like "We fixed the leak, all good" but didn't do anything about our power outlet making crackling noises. They assure me that if there's a risk of fire the breaker would automatically trip and stop, but since the outlet is full of water and making crackling noises I don't know that I believe that? They did say they're going to replace the outlet but I had to return to work so hopefully that's getting done. (When I came back in they had just looked at it and turned the breaker back on, so it was making those crackling noises when I came in to the empty apartment)

But they also said that since the leak is stopped, once the water drains out we should be good, but the area above the shower is still pretty damn and the wall is soft and bulging outwards at the bottom where the wall meets the shower tile at the top of the shower. I hope that makes sense.

Waffles is concerned that if they just let it drain out and that's it that it will mold and be rather unhealthy. I'm concerned the wall is gonna cave in on me in the shower. Are these reasonable concerns that we should fight the apartment to fix?

They're legit wrong.

The breaker should have tripped already, if the noises are from electrical origins the power is still on. If the breaker worked there would not be crackling noises.

• Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    edited May 2018
    Honk wrote: »
    I took a video last night of the outlet and the noise it was making, then moved the camera over to get audio of the dripping sound in the bathroom.

The maintenance guy told me the outlet should trip the breaker if there's a risk of fire, but there's no buttons on the outlet like it's one of those GFCI outlets, so I think he's wrong about this one?

But hey they're fixing this outlet I guess, I'm just worried about the water damage on the wall. I guess if the landlord doesn't wanna fix it we just buy some mold reducing candles for a month or something. Do those exist? Something like that probably exists.

I have a central RCD in the circuit box - that's the standard here - which means that all sockets in the apartment has ground fault protection. That may not be the case where you're at.

That sounds more like electrical noises than dripping to me, but maybe it's tough to tell over a phone video compared to how it is when you're next to it. I feel like if the socket was ground fault protected it should have already tripped the breaker as soon as any water at all entered the socket. If those noises are electrical in origin then your maintenance guy is fairly certainly wrong about the socket being on any RCD protection.

I would probably manually go in the cabinet and trip the breaker for that socket or room just to be sure. I have had fire in a wall due to - weak - current leakage before.

The first part of the video has the crackling noises, the second part of the video is the dripping in the ceiling, hard to see since the lights were out (Loud fan in bathroom automatically if lights are on)

It definitely sounds like electrical noises to me and yeah we manually turned the breaker for that outlet off before bed last night and I turned it off before I came back to work. Kind of annoyed they turned it back on and didn't look at the outlet this morning but then I talked to them again about replacing it. Just concerned they're gonna be all "Oh it's fine" more and it'll end up causing a fire. I did check our smoke detectors and they are working.

edit: And the noises go away when the breaker is off so it's clearly electrical.

SniperGuy on
  • Options

Yep, he totally does.

I mean.

At Tesla? Nah. He's repeatedly failed to meet his promises on production rate and will probably never hit his original target of 20k/month, because like his hyperloop projections it's based on the sneaky requirement of him totally revolutionizing an established sector (infrastructure for the loop or manufacturing for Tesla) rather than innovating on what the project is actually about.

I also like... space is cool, but I'm not letting a labor exploiting, anti-union techbro off the hook because he has good PR about the whole space thing.

I ate an engineer
  • Options

The financial industry has done an amazing job at selling itself as the key market in the economy and as the actual bell weather on its health. When in reality it is mostly a wealth generation machine for the wealthy. Top it off a lot of its promises/schemes are why pensions are dead and such and why the fall backs (401ks) are kind of crap version say a pension from the corporation and the majority to all the cost falls to the worker.

Problem is a lot of the US economy is based on the paper pushing that is this industry now so it fucks industries the rest of us work in.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    A kid asked me wide-eyed if I had a knife

I said yes, three

Woman across from me started squirming

Lady, I'm wearing carpenter pants and a sweater with a company name on it, quit looking at me like I'm some kind of homicidally insane narcomaniacal desperado

Although I'm very tempted to give her my best kubrick stare while twirling one of the knives

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    good afternoon chat its not supposed to be busy today dont these people know its friday

• Options
    BeNarwhalBeNarwhal The Work Left Unfinished Registered User regular
    I think it's probably pretty important to differentiate Musk's accomplishments at SpaceX (which is a private company and also a spaceflight company) and his comparative lack thereof with Tesla (which is a publicly-traded company and is not great so far at being an automotive company)

More specifically, this conference call was about Tesla's underperformance which, as many have pointed out, is something the CEO is responsible for particularly when they're are financially-invested shareholders concerned

It doesn't matter how many rockets SpaceX has landed

• Options
    Honk wrote: »

The first part of the video has the crackling noises, the second part of the video is the dripping in the ceiling, hard to see since the lights were out (Loud fan in bathroom automatically if lights are on)

It definitely sounds like electrical noises to me and yeah we manually turned the breaker for that outlet off before bed last night and I turned it off before I came back to work. Kind of annoyed they turned it back on and didn't look at the outlet this morning but then I talked to them again about replacing it. Just concerned they're gonna be all "Oh it's fine" more and it'll end up causing a fire. I did check our smoke detectors and they are working.

edit: And the noises go away when the breaker is off so it's clearly electrical.

Yeah I would strongly suggest leaving it disconnected in that case. That's a risk.

It'd definitely not on an RCD in that case and it seems weird that a normal breaker hasn't tripped either. The only thing I can think of would be micro shorts weak enough to not trip a breaker, but those would be caught by any off the shelf RCD.

Anyway, that totally needs to be fixed.

• Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    My apartment has a leak. There's water in an electrical outlet outside the bathroom which we found due to the crackling noises and the wall above the shower is damp and has a little bit of a bulge at the bottom, as if water is collecting behind it. Turned off the breaker last night and noises stopped except for the dripping noise in the ceiling. This morning the dripping has upgraded to a light drizzle sound instead of a slow dripping. Called maintenance last night of course and they're supposed to come out this morning but man I hate that I have to be at work while my apartment is maybe flooding.

So maintenance came by and I talked to them. Apparently the people that live above us fucked with their pipes and caused a leak. Maintenance was like "We fixed the leak, all good" but didn't do anything about our power outlet making crackling noises. They assure me that if there's a risk of fire the breaker would automatically trip and stop, but since the outlet is full of water and making crackling noises I don't know that I believe that? They did say they're going to replace the outlet but I had to return to work so hopefully that's getting done. (When I came back in they had just looked at it and turned the breaker back on, so it was making those crackling noises when I came in to the empty apartment)

But they also said that since the leak is stopped, once the water drains out we should be good, but the area above the shower is still pretty damn and the wall is soft and bulging outwards at the bottom where the wall meets the shower tile at the top of the shower. I hope that makes sense.

Waffles is concerned that if they just let it drain out and that's it that it will mold and be rather unhealthy. I'm concerned the wall is gonna cave in on me in the shower. Are these reasonable concerns that we should fight the apartment to fix?

The outlet might, if it gets hit badly, say pow and smell burnt but that's in all likelihood the worst that could happen

You should perhaps fight them on the water damage though, that's more worrying than mere fire

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Jubal77 wrote: »
    Lavar Burton saying Kanye has brain chemistry issues was my favorite snip this week.

You know folks people can be mentally ill and be assholes at the same time

• Options
    I may be a bit personally biased because when i went to a career fair at college SpaceX was recruiting and they were incredibly open about the fact that the hours were shit, the pay was shit, and you have to "love Elon Musk" to work there (that's an actual quote). Like... it was honestly sad and I felt bad for the people at the booth, they had less enthusiasm than the randos from small fry operations, and i felt bad for any of my clasmates who took a 20+k paycut to worship some guy who wishes they'd make even less money

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    credeikicredeiki Registered User regular
    edited May 2018
    desc wrote: »
    I just can't even fathom Elon Musk fan worship out of everyone available on the planet to Stan for

I'm not an Elon Musk fanboy as I was saying yesterday; I don't know anything about him as a person

however, I do genuinely think that tech companies, including his, are doing important work to drive humanity forward, so it makes sense that if you're going to be a fan of a person, you might choose someone associated with that endeavor. A lot of cutting edge science and engineering is happening in the corporate environment. And maybe you should be choosing to be a fan of the lead algorithm developer on your favorite algorithm from that company, or lead engineer bringing some interesting battery or machine or screen to fruition, but you probably don't actually know who that is unless they're publishing, and they easily might not be, what with being a business and not academia--so then you land on Musk or someone instead cause they're the public face of the company.

credeiki on
    Steam, LoL: credeiki
  • Options
    ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    public equity isn't really "the finance industry" though

that said, the puzzle of our age is "what are we going to do about the rising concentration of index funds"

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    MrMisterMrMister Jesus dying on the cross in pain? Morally better than us. One has to go "all in".Registered User regular
    Do first responders actually check wallets for medical information cards?

I'm supposed to get one but I'm not sure whether that's real news advice or how helpful they really are (drug info says to get one, but my doc never mentioned it)

• Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular

My post is more criticism of the way Wall Street runs things, instead of me being a Musk fanboy. Like I said, his involvement with Paypal forever paints him with a bad brush for me.

• Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    ronya wrote: »
    ZEcn3vF.png

155bed5f69250cc282c41d54757dd4f1.jpg

• Options
    credeiki wrote: »

I'm not an Elon Musk fanboy as I was saying yesterday; I don't know anything about him as a person

however, I do genuinely think that tech companies, including his, are doing important work to drive humanity forward, so it makes sense that if you're going to be a fan of a person, you might choose someone associated with that endeavor. A lot of cutting edge science and engineering is happening in the corporate environment. And maybe you should be choosing to be a fan of the lead algorithm developer on your favorite algorithm from that company, or lead engineer bringing some interesting battery or machine or screen to fruition, but you probably don't actually know who that is unless they're publishing, and they easily might not be, what with being a business and not academia--so then you land on Musk or someone instead cause they're the public face of the company.

The real SpaceX fanboys are fans of Gwynne Shotwell and Tom Mueller :cool:

• Options
    Abdhyius wrote: »

The outlet might, if it gets hit badly, say pow and smell burnt but that's in all likelihood the worst that could happen

You should perhaps fight them on the water damage though, that's more worrying than mere fire

Since it hasn't said pow and tripped yet that's weird and from what I can tell actually a higher risk.

That's how it was when got a fire - the breaker didn't work for the weak power leakage so the circuit never tripped - but the continuous leakage was enough to start a fire.

• Options

BeNarwhal wrote: »
    I think it's probably pretty important to differentiate Musk's accomplishments at SpaceX (which is a private company and also a spaceflight company) and his comparative lack thereof with Tesla (which is a publicly-traded company and is not great so far at being an automotive company)

More specifically, this conference call was about Tesla's underperformance which, as many have pointed out, is something the CEO is responsible for particularly when they're are financially-invested shareholders concerned

It should also be noted that Musk is competing with well established car companies who -really- don't want him all up in their business and his entrance into the field -alone- probably pushed automated cars ahead by 10 years because Ford, GM, and the rest suddenly went "oh shit automation might happen by someone who isn't us" and started dumping money into it.

I don't even really care about the business aspects of this, so that's unfair for me to bring up really. I'm just interested in the science and that someone is spending $$$$ on several really important and interesting projects.

• Options
    I may be a bit personally biased because when i went to a career fair at college SpaceX was recruiting and they were incredibly open about the fact that the hours were shit, the pay was shit, and you have to "love Elon Musk" to work there (that's an actual quote). Like... it was honestly sad and I felt bad for the people at the booth, they had less enthusiasm than the randos from small fry operations, and i felt bad for any of my clasmates who took a 20+k paycut to worship some guy who wishes they'd make even less money

I think @Dynagrip knows folks who actually work there since he use to work for NASA.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    D&D is kind of boring

• Options
    navgoosenavgoose Registered User regular
    I'm concerned your bathroom outlets may not be on a GFCI. A small amount of shorting is plausible the breaker won't trip assuming no other loads, but a GFCI is usually more sensitive to shorts, even "little" ones.

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular

It should also be noted that Musk is competing with well established car companies who -really- don't want him all up in their business and his entrance into the field -alone- probably pushed automated cars ahead by 10 years because Ford, GM, and the rest suddenly went "oh shit automation might happen by someone who isn't us" and started dumping money into it.

I don't even really care about the business aspects of this, so that's unfair for me to bring up really. I'm just interested in the science and that someone is spending $$$$ on several really important and interesting projects.

That would be hilarious given how bad Tesla has been about automation.

• Options

Bolded is what I heavily agree with, yeah.

Is Musk the greatest guy to be doing this? Obviously no.

But the greater guy ain't doing it yet, so

This discussion has been closed.