Club PA 2.0 has arrived! If you'd like to access some extra PA content and help support the forums, check it out at patreon.com/ClubPA
The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

[RAGE 2] appears to be a definite shift in tone from the original

milk ducksmilk ducks Registered User regular
edited May 17 in Games and Technology
I actually liked RAGE for what it was, despite all of it's flaws. I even did a video for my very first YouTube channel showing people how to get the Passive Aggressive, Keep 'em Coming, and Bringing Home the Bacon achievements all together in the Mutant Bash on Nightmare difficulty. I thought it was a fun game that had a lot of that old world Id studios charm that I grew up with. Having said that, the game definitely had it's problems and wasn't received particularly well. It was set up for a sequel, but I never expected one to come. BUT THEN THIS HAPPENED.
RAGE 2 is a post-apocalyptic open world first-person shooter in development by Id Software with the help of Avalanche Studios. It was announced by Bethesda Softworks on May 14, 2018 as a sequel to the first hit sci-fi first-person shooter racing game RAGE, released in October of 2011. On May 15, the following day, a Gameplay Trailer was released.

The game is set in 2185, far after the events of the first game, where we play as Walker, one of the last Rangers in the wasteland, which had his home robbed and taken by the Authority, the primary antagonists of the first game, and Walker tears through the Wasteland to seek vengeance and to end the Authority's oppression. Not much is known about the gameplay however, despite the gameplay trailer having been released, but it is clear many elements will be returning, including more heavily customizable Vehicle Combat, Wingsticks, and Mutants, and possibly, wider customization of guns.

RAGE 2 will be available on PC, PlayStation 4 and Xbox One in the Spring of 2019. It was announced on May 15, 2018 that pre-order bonuses will include a unique mission called "Cult of the Death God", the "Settlers Pistol" from the original RAGE, "Nicholas Raine Armor", and a Monster Truck for use within the game.

Here's the official gameplay trailer. I don't hate it. To be honest, it looks fun. But it's definitely a tonal departure from the original, and I'm not sure how I feel about that yet. On the one hand, yeah, they probably did need to change things up because the original went nowhere in particular. But on the other hand, this just looks like a hodge-podge of a million other games. It looks like a different flavor of Borderlands, I think:

You guys be the judge; what's your opinion?

milk ducks on

• -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    I too was a big fan of the first game and was disappointed when the franchise went nowhere.

This does have a real Borderlands 2 vibe, but the gunplay looks like a good old rock solid id shooter. I'll take it.

• milk ducksmilk ducks Registered User regular
    Yeah, I'll take it. Honestly, even though it appears at first glance to be a pretty serious departure from the first game (although, maybe it isn't? I just went back and looked through some of my old YouTube content and there are definitely some silly, over-the-top shit. That's not altogether outsided of Id's wheelhouse, you know?), it still looks fun as hell. I'm not seeing much in the trailer about crafting companions and turrets and stuff, though? Making little spider-bot armies was a big part of what I liked about the first Rage. Hopefully, that'll come back.

• AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited May 17

The announcement trailer was also full of color and fun.

I wasn’t that big a fan of the first. I mean I didn’t hate it or anything, just thought it was really plain.

So the sequel has caught my attention.

Axen on
  • Skull2185Skull2185 In Greece, misthios. Number one. Lethal hands. One day, malakas need attitude adjustment. I kill malakas. Registered User regular
    edited May 17
    Axen wrote: »

I wasn’t that big a fan of the first. I mean I didn’t hate it or anything, just thought it was really plain.

So the sequel has caught my attention.

Yeah, this is me as well. The gameplay reveal caught my attention too. Just looks like a less serious, more fun experience. The devs have also confirmed no loot boxes, but Bethesda does want to embrace the "games as a service" model. Not necessarily a bad thing, but still has the potential to lead to annoying BS.

Skull2185 on
    Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    The double jumping and melee attacks and general pace of the gameplay trailer makes it look like they shoved Doom 2016 into Borderlands 2.

I’m totally fine with that.

AxenCarpymilk ducksTOGSolid
  • ArchsorcererArchsorcerer Registered User regular
    New video from the VGAs

Hopefully the sequel scratches my Borderlands itch.

Gotta spend more time with RAGE 1 as I got it recently. That shotgun is love.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

"We have years of struggle ahead, mostly within ourselves." - Made in USA
    Rage 2 looks awesome.

Zilla360
  • Skull2185Skull2185 In Greece, misthios. Number one. Lethal hands. One day, malakas need attitude adjustment. I kill malakas. Registered User regular
    Game Informer has coverage for Rage 2 all month. Apparently the game is strictly singleplayer which is fantastic news! Out in May as well, so it isn't too far off.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
    Pre orders are up and there's a deluxe edition. Looks like there's a story continuation DLC on the way (hooray!) and it's built in to the Deluxe edition.

The cynic in me says they're shipping an incomplete game and you either pay up front for the full game or later as separate DLC. The optimist in me hopes they're shipping a feature complete game and they're just got started on the DLC early.

Either way it matters not, because the Deluxe edition also lets you get the Doom BFG. Which, you know, kinda guarantees a sale.

I'm disappointed that it's not running on id tech 6 or 7, but Avalanches Apex engine. Apparently because it just does huge open worlds better. But word is id are doing the story and FPC combat (probably why it looks so fast and crunchy like Doom 2016) so I'm happy enough.

Also they're saying this is a 'games as a service' game, but Tim Willits has said there are not going to be loot boxes. Guessing small story DLC's like Assassins Creed Odyssey is getting, plus new vehicles and weapons in a storefront.

I'm hearing Rage 2 will be exclusive to Bethesdas launcher. That's sad, I like having all my ID games in one category on Steam.

• TOGSolidTOGSolid I didn't choose the tiki life, the tiki life chose me Inside a bottle of rumRegistered User regular
    edited December 8
    -Loki- wrote: »
    I'm hearing Rage 2 will be exclusive to Bethesdas launcher. That's sad, I like having all my ID games in one category on Steam.

Considering all the management problems Bethesda is having there is no way in hell I'd install that thing, let alone give them my personal information. I prefer not to get doxxed by the company I'm trusting my info with. It's a shame too because Rage 2 looks pretty fun.

TOGSolid on
  • ArchsorcererArchsorcerer Registered User regular
    GI got some stuff.

"Barrier is the lamest power."

Screw you, man. It reminds me of BL1's Roland.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

"We have years of struggle ahead, mostly within ourselves." - Made in USA
    edited December 9
    No microtransactions?
    You'll have to wait and see.
    So that's a yes. Not that I mind as long as they build in a grindy progression and shortcut DLC. I mean they're already said it's a game as a service in a way, so MTX were expected.

-Loki- on
    edited December 9
    TOGSolid wrote: »
    -Loki- wrote: »

Considering all the management problems Bethesda is having there is no way in hell I'd install that thing, let alone give them my personal information. I prefer not to get doxxed by the company I'm trusting my info with. It's a shame too because Rage 2 looks pretty fun.

I have no experience with the platform - is a credit card required to register a key? if I don't have to give it a credit card, I'll just buy Rage 2 from Humble and give it a fake name and address. It's not even hard using a separate email address. I'm guessing Doom Eternal is going to wind up an exclusive to their platform too so I might as well accept I'll be using it.

There's some gold answers in that video. 'Did the estate of Rahl Dahl ever approach id about the use of the name BFG?' 'No, but if they did i would tell them where to stick the F'.

-Loki- on