As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Marvel]Thread:From Miniscule Arthropods, Murderous Tex-Mex lovers, and Marvelous Captains

• Options
    Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    Also, the same issue features Peter being disgraced amongst the scientific community because one of the papers that Otto wrote while he was in Peter's body plagiarized a previous essay Otto wrote. The Daily Bugle prints the front page of PETER PARKER: FRAUD and Aunt May says shes ashamed of him because he won't take responsibility for the plagiarism. Even going so far as to say Ben would be embarrassed by his behavior.

Like I said, its completely forced misery

The first part of this summary is a clever little thing for as fallout for Superior Spider-man

But yeah, the rest of that sounds fucking miserable

Didn't something like that ALREADY HAPPEN in Superior Spidey?

• Options
    THESPOOKYTHESPOOKY papa! Registered User regular
    So Nick Spencer is writing a Spider-Man comic about how unfair it is when the hate mob comes after a good, upstanding individual?

Shocker.

d4753b065e9d63cc25203f06160a1cd1.png
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Has he not told anyone about being possessed by Otto? Why not?

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    THESPOOKY wrote: »
    So Nick Spencer is writing a Spider-Man comic about how unfair it is when the hate mob comes after a good, upstanding individual?

Shocker.

No he's not present yet.

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    edited September 2018
    Also, the same issue features Peter being disgraced amongst the scientific community because one of the papers that Otto wrote while he was in Peter's body plagiarized a previous essay Otto wrote. The Daily Bugle prints the front page of PETER PARKER: FRAUD and Aunt May says shes ashamed of him because he won't take responsibility for the plagiarism. Even going so far as to say Ben would be embarrassed by his behavior.

Like I said, its completely forced misery

The first part of this summary is a clever little thing for as fallout for Superior Spider-man

But yeah, the rest of that sounds fucking miserable

Im not sure it is because Ock was a scientist for a number of years and should know how citations work. The implied argument is that Ock forgot because he was quoting his own work but all the journals I read in college still provided citations for previous work. Ya’ll can correct me if that’s unusual.

Yeah stuff like this happens but Ock knew he had to be very careful and this just feels really artificial.

nightmarenny on
    Quire.jpg
  • Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Last note about the Spencer ASM issue because I dont want to keep beating a dead horse

It opens up with a scene from Matt Fraction and Salvador Larroca's Sensational Spider-Man Annual

Which is one of my favorite Spider-Man stories ever and one of the best piece of romance superhero comics ever written

To have Spencer go YEAH THIS IS HOW GOOD MY COMIC IS GONNA BE and then throw out that dreck

Ugh

You cant even come close to touching this:
    kxCNpdM.jpg?1
    0gMmtH7.jpg
    Csdxu1h.jpg
    0mBKvDT.jpg
    tp6tyaX.jpg
    YKq8TXb.jpg

(Its a double sized annual so an extra page is okay)

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    Well they can't let that stand, can they. She'll probably file for divorce and become a super villain now.

• Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    Straightzi wrote: »
    Holy crap the cover to Die #1
    6h7n9w9mcg3v.jpg
    I love that twenty sided die sigil

I want one of the sides on the bottom to be moved. It feels like it's trying to invoke a Star of David.

Otherwise I would legit get that tattooed on my arm.

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited September 2018
    It's a map of a d20. That is what a d20 looks like flattened out.

Although, I think it might looked better rotated 180 degrees.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    Fencingsax wrote: »

He's likely told those in the heroic community he trusts but doing the same to regular folks to explain away stuff Otto did as Peter might lead to one too many questions being asked.

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular

I don't imagine Peter would tell the public that as it:

#1. Wouldn't work.

#2. Come across as an empty excuse.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    McFodderMcFodder Registered User regular
    DMAC wrote: »
    The Manta Without Fear:

k2ta5jvxkvya.jpg

DMAC, as usual your work is fantastic.

I love that you can casually see that these have all been drawn next to each other on the same page, while I would fill multiple books trying to get one picture this cool.

Also I hope you have an idea for Jessica Jones.

Switch Friend Code: SW-3944-9431-0318
    PSN / Xbox / NNID: Fodder185
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Didn't Slott already use the "Otto accidentally plagiarizes his old work while in Peter's body" excuse and literally had to send a hologram of his old body to a dudes house to explain that "Peter" actually contributed to that work while working as an intern for Octavius?

• Options
    never dienever die Registered User regular
    Didn't Slott already use the "Otto accidentally plagiarizes his old work while in Peter's body" excuse and literally had to send a hologram of his old body to a dudes house to explain that "Peter" actually contributed to that work while working as an intern for Octavius?

yup! I believe it was the leg brace he was building for Aunt May.

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    I need to pick up Zdarsky's Spider-Man stuff because I want to read some good Spider-Man, and it hasn't even been a full year since I last re-read the first couple hundred issues of Amazing Spider-man

• Options
    never dienever die Registered User regular
    I think what's bumming me about the Spencer Spider-Man story is that I dislike when writers, in an attempt to leave their mark on a title and/or because they disliked what a previous writer did, they tear it down. That's pretty much what it sounds like Spencer is doing.

• Options
    THESPOOKYTHESPOOKY papa! Registered User regular
    never die wrote: »
    I think what's bumming me about the Spencer Spider-Man story is that I dislike when writers, in an attempt to leave their mark on a title and/or because they disliked what a previous writer did, they tear it down. That's pretty much what it sounds like Spencer is doing.

That's pretty much the only card Spencer has had to play in a long, long time

d4753b065e9d63cc25203f06160a1cd1.png
  • Options
    Zonugal wrote: »

I don't imagine Peter would tell the public that as it:

#1. Wouldn't work.

#2. Come across as an empty excuse.

I honestly forgot that May doesn't know he's Spider-Man. I meant telling the people he's close to.

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular

Makes me wonder if different issues will have a different net, like a d10 or d8 etc

I expect so. The one in the "trailer" is a d6, here we have a d20...

so, anyway, this has me thinking of two things. Make that three things.

1. This XKCD.
    2. Changeling: the Lost from the WoD (your character was taken to faerieland, and escaped)
    3. IT

• Options

Makes me wonder if different issues will have a different net, like a d10 or d8 etc

I expect so. The one in the "trailer" is a d6, here we have a d20...

so, anyway, this has me thinking of two things. Make that three things.

1. This XKCD.
    2. Changeling: the Lost from the WoD (your character was taken to faerieland, and escaped)
    3. IT

Also Stranger Things

• Options
    HeatwaveHeatwave Come, now, and walk the path of explosions with me!Registered User regular
    I've read the first 2 volumes of Zdarsky's Spider-Man and it's pretty damn good. Wish the 3rd volume had been on sale at comixology when I bought them

P2n5r3l.jpg
    Steam / Origin & Wii U: Heatwave111 / FC: 4227-1965-3206 / Battle.net: Heatwave#11356
  • Options
    GustavGustav Friend of Goats Somewhere in the OzarksRegistered User regular
    I rewatched Spider-Man 3. And that movie is still flawed as heck. But mostly down to much of the plot happening out of contrivance and pretty nakedly so. And if you could solve that I think you'd have a pretty solid Spidey movie. Maybe the weakest of the three, but still pretty good. Everything with Sandman is *great* and you have the bones of a possibly cool Venom thing if you shift some pieces.

But mostly what was noticeable to me is that time has been very kind on it in regards to criticism of it being 'overstuffed.' Because in the current franchise landscape it feels pretty normal in how many characters and events its throwing around. Next to a Civil War or Age of Ultron (or god forbid Infinity War) it feels practically quaint. And given that it allows endings to arcs, even those set up within its own film, it feels more complete than the usual franchise film.

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    I think the criticism of it being overstuffed has less to do with the amount of characters in the movie and more to do with the amount of movies in the movie. It felt like Raimi had his Sandman movie, the studio had their Venom movie and to bridge the gap they threw in half a Green Goblin movie.

I think it might actually have been better if allowed to feel less complete, if Sandman was the villain and the symbiote and Harry getting amnesia were B-plots and they had another movie for Venom and Harry's face turn. But that might also be the MCU coloring my vision of how superhero movies are supposed to work.

euj90n71sojo.png
  • Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    Man, I'm so bummed that we didn't just get a movie that focused fully on Sandman, Thomas Haden Church did such a great job.

• Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    Delduwath wrote: »
    Man, I'm so bummed that we didn't just get a movie that focused fully on Sandman, Thomas Haden Church did such a great job.

I dunno, I felt things went sideways with him

• Options
    Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular

i hate you so much right now

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options

My brain has seized up in trying to make a alley oop Rhino joke.

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    Gustav wrote: »

My brain has seized up in trying to make a alley oop Rhino joke.

You searched for miles and came up with jack

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    All the parts that Raimi actually wanted to make are great, the parts the studio made him put in are very half-assed

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    DMACDMAC Come at me, bro! Moderator mod
  • Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    edited September 2018
    Kraken the Hunter

edit: Hey @dmac, there's a draw a military aquatic mascot logo contest linked in the Bad News thread in DnD, should submit Manta without fear

WiseManTobes on
    Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    I think I'm done.

For now.

• Options
    KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular
    DMAC wrote: »
    ugdtbh97bxb8.jpg

She does drink like one.

• Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    Is it too late to amend that to Jessicarp Jones?

• Options
    Is it too late to amend that to Jessicarp Jones?

That might be the best attempt at a fish name for her so far.

• Options
    BedigunzBedigunz Registered User regular

This joke didn't have the wings on it to fly.

cdmAF00.png
    Coran Attack!
  • Options
    Bedigunz wrote: »

This joke didn't have the wings on it to fly.

something something george of the jungle 2

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    once again gus' attempt at a joke is divorced from the topic at hand

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    Thomas Hayden Church is in George of the Jungle 2

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    he also stars in divorce

6vjsgrerts6r.png

This discussion has been closed.