As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Yes, the Persona Thread is the means by which all is revealed - P4G now on PC!

• Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    I actually find Persona 3, tonally, the most interesting of the post-Persona 2 games.

Persona 4 is rather saccharine despite the underlying plot.

Persona 5 is a very angry game. I mean, that's kind of its core premise.

Persona 3 is...just right. It's dark and brooding, but they really do something interesting with it in my opinion - I think Apathy Syndrome is a brilliant device. And I feel like the ending frames the entirety of the game in a more interesting way than P4 and P5 did.

Mythologically, though, I think Persona 4 is the most interesting of the three.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    If I could get a persona with P5’s mechanics, P4’s character and localization quality, and P3’s story quality, I’d be very happy.

• Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    Drez wrote: »
    I actually find Persona 3, tonally, the most interesting of the post-Persona 2 games.

Persona 3 is...just right. It's dark and brooding, but they really do something interesting with it in my opinion - I think Apathy Syndrome is a brilliant device. And I feel like the ending frames the entirety of the game in a more interesting way than P4 and P5 did.

I agree. And I like how 4 and 5 both really play with the ramifications of what happened in 3.

I really am hopeful for another Persona Arena because even though it was a fighting game, I found the set-up fascinating. I highly doubt it would ever happen but I would love a Persona 6 that kind of caps off 3-5. Introducing grown up Junpei, Mitsuru and Yukari was so cool, and the fact they kind of bring the cast from 4 into the fold at the end was awesome. I love the idea that every time these events pop up they roll up the kids who dealt with it and get them on board.

PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Persona 5 is the best game. That is all.

• Options
    Have a persona, set in Tokyo, where all the S-links are the stars of the previous personas going about their day jobs but gradually catching on to the fact that you’ve got a persona.

• Options
    mxmarks wrote: »
    Drez wrote: »

I agree. And I like how 4 and 5 both really play with the ramifications of what happened in 3.

I really am hopeful for another Persona Arena because even though it was a fighting game, I found the set-up fascinating. I highly doubt it would ever happen but I would love a Persona 6 that kind of caps off 3-5. Introducing grown up Junpei, Mitsuru and Yukari was so cool, and the fact they kind of bring the cast from 4 into the fold at the end was awesome. I love the idea that every time these events pop up they roll up the kids who dealt with it and get them on board.

I agree.

And I mean it would definitely be fanservicey, but I'd love to see how Nanako turns out as an adolescent or adult. Hell, make her one of the high school protagonists in the next game. Please god ATLUS though, don't do that in any kind of yuck way.

I'd love to see her calling up Big Bro on her first day to school, him wishing her luck, etc., and then a day or two in she is forced to make a pact or whatever. Yu can be a phone-only S. Link for a majority of the game.

All the other past cast members somehow get involved too.

Do we know how far apart the casts are, regarding age? I think Persona Q2 talks about it a little bit but I forgot already. Like Chihiro shows up in P4G older, I think in University at that point?

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    The best solution is to let Hashino's team do the mechanics and bring back Satomi Tadashi for the story.

This is sadly the real outcome:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WkBolFYH1Nc

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    I know Ken is like 10 in P3, and 13 in Arena.

PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    rhylith wrote: »
    Have a persona, set in Tokyo, where all the S-links are the stars of the previous personas going about their day jobs but gradually catching on to the fact that you’ve got a persona.

So, Digimon

• Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited August 2019
    google says P3 is 2009 and P4 is 2011, which would make P4A 2012

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    Not Persona but I’m still not sure whether I liked SMT IV or not. One of the most confusing overworld maps ever. I did beat it 4 times though.

I have to finish Apocalypse at some point.

It would be nice to get some new details about SMT5 one of these days.

Drez on
  • Options
    I still haven't finished SMT4 yet. I don't know how I enjoy Persona combat but but then can get ducked so easily in SMT. Especially when negotiations fail and suddenly my entire team is dead

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular

That’s just jojo

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Madican wrote: »
    I still haven't finished SMT4 yet. I don't know how I enjoy Persona combat but but then can get ducked so easily in SMT. Especially when negotiations fail and suddenly my entire team is dead

SMT is more unforgiving.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    If I ever get back to it I'm just going to get the XP dlc and pump my level so my team has bullshit like Reflect Physical Shiva as soon as possible. I just want the story, then Apocalypse.

• Options
    If I ever get back to it I'm just going to get the XP dlc and pump my level so my team has bullshit like Reflect Physical Shiva as soon as possible. I just want the story, then Apocalypse.

Buff almighty skills and exploit stuff like Debilitate/Luster Candy until it's +4. You'll be basically unstoppable. Apocalypse is MUCH harder than IV, try not to lean on DLC as a crutch.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    PiptheFair wrote: »

That’s just jojo

And?

• Options
    cj iwakura wrote: »

Buff almighty skills and exploit stuff like Debilitate/Luster Candy until it's +4. You'll be basically unstoppable. Apocalypse is MUCH harder than IV, try not to lean on DLC as a crutch.

Okay maybe I don't need to play Apocalypse then

• Options
    After Minotaur, SMT4 is kind of a cakewalk IMO.

Honestly the biggest difficulty in the game is the damned map. I beat the game 4 times a couple of years ago to get all the, uh, “clears” on my save file and get all the special demons. But if you put it in front of me today I’d be clueless as to where everything is.

• Options
    Minotaur wasn't as bad as Medusa, aka if you don't have a demon immune to Gun then get fucked.

When random demons can wipe me out instantly after a failed negotiation in the city then I don't call that a cakewalk. And in fact when people describe games like SMT as a cakewalk it sounds incredibly disingenuous.

• Options
    TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular
    Donnicton wrote: »
    It's a crying shame that Tadashi's been reduced to writing tripe like Caligula Effect.

I actually found Caligula effect's quite interesting at a base level, especially once Overdose came about and you were able to explore the villains' reasons for being there. Their motivations became understandable even as you still had to oppose them. In particular Sweet-P who fled into the simulation as a young girl because people tormented and ostracized him in the real world for being an overweight older man who happened to enjoy cute things. Which I think is a particular kind of something that could have resonated with an uncomfortable number of interneters in this day and age.

Unfortunately it was the literally everything else about the game that dragged it all down.

I put like 17 hours in the Caligula Effect Overdose. The premise of the game: Good. The combat concept: Good. The idea of the student classes being organized by traumatic incident that tied them together, e.g. a class full of people who were impacted by the death of a classmate in the real world?: Good

The music changing between lyrical and non-lyrical version in combat: Good.

The execution of these ideas? Terrible. There is such a good kernel of a game in there. I was super disappointed by it.

League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
  • Options

Okay maybe I don't need to play Apocalypse then

I'd be lying if I said it's perfect, but it does have some great highs, and the OST is yum.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-VH5__iGpmQ

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    edit: On second thought, nevermind.

Drez on
  • Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Tcheldor wrote: »
    Donnicton wrote: »
    It's a crying shame that Tadashi's been reduced to writing tripe like Caligula Effect.

I actually found Caligula effect's quite interesting at a base level, especially once Overdose came about and you were able to explore the villains' reasons for being there. Their motivations became understandable even as you still had to oppose them. In particular Sweet-P who fled into the simulation as a young girl because people tormented and ostracized him in the real world for being an overweight older man who happened to enjoy cute things. Which I think is a particular kind of something that could have resonated with an uncomfortable number of interneters in this day and age.

Unfortunately it was the literally everything else about the game that dragged it all down.

I put like 17 hours in the Caligula Effect Overdose. The premise of the game: Good. The combat concept: Good. The idea of the student classes being organized by traumatic incident that tied them together, e.g. a class full of people who were impacted by the death of a classmate in the real world?: Good

The music changing between lyrical and non-lyrical version in combat: Good.

The execution of these ideas? Terrible. There is such a good kernel of a game in there. I was super disappointed by it.

The effort put into the soundtrack was wasted on the game. A particularly unfortunate victim of localization as well is that they actually tailored each song to each student, the lyrics of each song sing about their specific traumas. It's easy to miss this if you don't know Japanese as none of it was translated.

• Options
    I actually finished the game. It never lives up to its premise.

Given the writer's pedigree, it was like Spielberg releasing Miami Connection.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    gavindelgavindel The reason all your software is brokenRegistered User regular
    My play order was P5 -> P4 -> (ongoing) P3.

I was pretty amused when I realized all the sets from the P4 school trip were locations in P3.
    Magician link explains where the "we want to date our teacher!" thing came from, too.
    Too bad Kawakami was so pathetic.

Book - Royal road - Free! Seraphim === TTRPG - Wuxia - Free! Seln Alora
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    gavindel wrote: »
    My play order was P5 -> P4 -> (ongoing) P3.

I was pretty amused when I realized all the sets from the P4 school trip were locations in P3.
    Magician link explains where the "we want to date our teacher!" thing came from, too.
    Too bad Kawakami was so pathetic.
    Kawakami is a true millennial icon and I'll hear no disparagement of her.

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    most relatable character in the entire game

opowh2by000v.png

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    most relatable character in the entire game

opowh2by000v.png

You need your sleep

• Options
    gavindelgavindel The reason all your software is brokenRegistered User regular
    Meanwhile the Persona 3 Justice link is one step from going full yandere on my "Don't mind me, babe, just maxing some other social links" ass.

You can really feel how new the whole life sim/dating sim was in persona 3. All these nested social links, the fact that maxing a link means dating the girl, 2 days to spare in the entire game when you follow the 100% social link guide...

Book - Royal road - Free! Seraphim === TTRPG - Wuxia - Free! Seln Alora
  • Options
    There's entire links in P3 I just didn't get started beyond the initial because I ran out of time

• Options
    gavindel wrote: »
    Meanwhile the Persona 3 Justice link is one step from going full yandere on my "Don't mind me, babe, just maxing some other social links" ass.

You can really feel how new the whole life sim/dating sim was in persona 3. All these nested social links, the fact that maxing a link means dating the girl, 2 days to spare in the entire game when you follow the 100% social link guide...

I like the idea of nested links.

I mean i'd also prefer a world where you can't 100% every link without NG+ that way you get to just sorta choose who you like without feeling like you're being super sub-optimal.

• Options
    DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    In 3 and 4 I just kind hung out with who I wanted and didn't really care about maxing social links. Then 5 added all those abilities you earn through social links and I wanted all of them so I got paranoid and used a guide half-way through the game to max them all. Put a bit of a damper on the game for me.

I started playing the Trails of Cold Steel series with the PS4 re-releases and they have some super light social link stuff that I really enjoy. Basically there are certain points in the games where they give you a day to just walk around and talk to npcs, and during these moments some of your party members with have exclamation points over their heads signalling they have an "event". During these segments you have bonding points, usually 3 or 4, and you spend them hanging out with these party members. You never have enough points to hang out with every party member, and the events are usually pretty basic. Like, this party member is going shopping so you help them out, maybe you learn a little something about them in the process. And those specific events will only happen at that point in the game, they don't carry over until later. So you just kind of choose who to hang out with based on whose event seems it'll be interesting or if you want to level up a specific party members link level, which gives some bonuses for fighting with them in battle.

It's way less involved than the persona stuff and I like it a lot. It's lighter in character development than the persona stuff, because the real big character stuff happens during the story, as it should. It's been a nice break from "hang out with all of these characters with the right persona equipped and answer these questions right and do it ten times".

Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    I actually found my old P3 data and loaded up my save from my first time playing.

It was hilarious I barely had half the links finished and 3 girls were reversed(but P3 was dumb about links with female peers anyway).

But my first time through I tried to balance school life and dungeon time.

Not knowing the correct way to play is to ignore the dungeon until the last possible day.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    The bond point thing is also in Tokyo Xanadu and yeah I like that system

• Options

Xanadu is just Trails of Cold Steel: The Action Game with the serial numbers filed off. I mean hell Towa is the same design and VA!

• Options

Xanadu is just Trails of Cold Steel: The Action Game with the serial numbers filed off. I mean hell Towa is the same design and VA!

In the electronics store in Tokyo Xanadu there's a display for Trails of Cold Steel 3 with a television showing in-game footage

• Options
    never dienever die Registered User regular
    I need to get to Trails of Cold Steel. I own the first one, but want to beat Trails in the Sky, SC first.

• Options

In the electronics store in Tokyo Xanadu there's a display for Trails of Cold Steel 3 with a television showing in-game footage

I am very hype for CS3.

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    I still have to finish ToCS 2 but I'm still tryna see how they're gonna handle data transfer