As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Yes, the Persona Thread is the means by which all is revealed - P4G now on PC!

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    They should focus on showing more of SMTV than a CG trailer.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Javen wrote: »
    Oh god

New classroom questions, and they're somehow even MORE obscure

I remember they did the same thing in Golden too.

• Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    You can now do stuff in LeBlanc even after going into the Metaverse.

They even gave you additional stuff to do to increase social stats!

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    For the longest time I told myself I wasn't gonna pick up Royal yet but now... here we are. Just cleared Kamoshida's palace

• Options
    DaebunzDaebunz Registered User regular
    i heard the reaper flu season trick doesnt work anymore in royal

is there anything similar this time or nah, i'm also still pretty early at this point

7yh4xczljsym.png
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited April 2020
    Javen wrote: »
    You can now do stuff in LeBlanc even after going into the Metaverse.

They even gave you additional stuff to do to increase social stats!

Yeah you only need Temperance 10 to go outside which is nice.
    i heard the reaper flu season trick doesnt work anymore in royal

is there anything similar this time or nah, i'm also still pretty early at this point

Naw but they say with the new content and the Mementos boosts you get to level 99 easy anyway.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    May.

I hate May.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    Yeah just by playing the game normally I’m finishing Sae’s palace at like level 60. It’s entirely possible I’ll get to 99 before the end game

• Options
    Oh my god

The showtime attacks have been getting progressively better

But nothing is going to top Makoto/Haru

• Options
    edited April 2020
    Towards the end of the game and so far I will say while the gameplay additions/changes have been nice most of the additional story content is very backloaded.
    Like I'm at Shido's palace and I stil haven't got Kasumi. She's been in the story but more as her own thing.

So yeah, the content is enough to make the game feel fresh after not playing it for a year or two and I've enjoyed replaying it but this could have just been an expansion pack for half the price.

Hell the biggest things are all the quality of life improvements over the original.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    i'm in the midst of the bonus chapter now

its ok but the gameplay updates are like night and day
    new chapter is apparently missable if you don't get the 3 new confidants as high as can be allowed before the old end time

Daebunz on
    7yh4xczljsym.png
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    so far my favorite thing is that yusuke is actually good now and can get charge via the jazz club which makes his damage output comparable to ryuji (and very much enjoys ryuji's passive)

and they can each get arms master via the same methods

and both of them like makoto's passive as they can set up technicals for each other with shock and freeze which the combat has a greater emphasis on

Daebunz on
    7yh4xczljsym.png
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    My concept for the DLC(that Atlus would never do) was that you'd play as the new girl during the events of the regular game, and you'd encounter the MC along the way, but you hear about him from an outsider perspective: that one strange transfer student that always zones out in class and has like seven girlfriends, and also ignores you because you're beneath his notice(re: an NPC), and then eventually, their campaigns would line up together.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited April 2020
    I finished vanilla P5 about three weeks ago. I'm souring on SMT/Persona's SP tollbooth combat, but the writing caught me off guard with how good it was. Every anime-cliche I was expecting was turned upside down.

I played blind and still ended up on the Makoto hype train. She's just so good and completely caught me off guard. I had to have her. I'd like her as an alternative protagonist.

I'm not picking up Royale, because I'm not suffering through the combat again.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    Yeah. The SMT/Persona style combat is getting a bit long in the tooth.

That said I don't really know how they could change it without purists having convulsions.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    While I consider P5 my least favorite of the Hashino Trilogy, it easily has the best combat.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    What's wrong with the combat in P5? It's great.

• Options
    edited April 2020
    Drez wrote: »
    What's wrong with the combat in P5? It's great.

Its turned into a pattern. One that puts me to sleep yet is utterly mandatory because of the game's time management. Its a very simple efficiency puzzle with only one answer:

1. Probe for weaknesses of new enemies while trying not to get slaughtered in 1 to 2 turns.
    2. Set up your party to maximize elemental coverage for the enemy weaknesses depending on your area. Some of your characters will be mandatory, others will not see the light of day
    3. Exploit elemental weaknesses for guaranteed All Outs. If you don't, you will get fucked, hence "SP Tollbooth."
    4. Continue paying the SP tollbooth until you can't pay anymore. Squeeze every SP you can, then go home.

In Vanilla, Ryuji and Yusuke were dead weight because of this system, combined with so many moments of enemies resisting or nullifying physical attacks. Ryuji and Yusuke simultaneously became critical during late game boss fights. They became boss killers, because bosses don't play by these rules, generally not having weaknesses or resistances to physical.

There is no "dance" or "thinking" to this combat, and it had me bored out of my mind. Because at the core, the creatures of SMT and Persona are Pokemon, another game I don't play anymore.

Cantido on
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    Yeah.

Early game Persona is pretty much conserving your SP as much as possible so you can finish the dungeon in one day cause anything less is poor time management.

Then late game where SP doesn't matter it's pretty much the same cycle of buffing and debuffing.

They try to balance it by making enemies super lethal but that all or nothing approach means you either do well or you don't and start over.

In some ways it's more engaging than your average turn based systems in other ways it really isn't.

But it's pretty to look at.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    its worth mentioning that royal does put a far greater emphasis on landing technical hits via status ailments to open up enemies you otherwise could not in combat where vanilla didn't really but if you just played vanilla i wouldnt go play royal now if you mostly were in it for the story. the new plot elements don't REALLY get going until end game

but the gameplay updates totally invalidate vanilla

Daebunz on
    7yh4xczljsym.png
  • Options
    Maybe it's because I am a huge fan of puzzles, so constantly re-engaging me on that front is enjoyable rather than tedious.

I feel like a part of the challenge is in figuring out the quickest/most efficient way through battles.

Honestly, I approach most RPGs that way.

• Options
    edited April 2020
    its worth mentioning that royal does put a far greater emphasis on landing technical hits via status ailments to open up enemies you otherwise could not in combat where vanilla didn't really but if you just played vanilla i wouldnt go play royal now if you mostly were in it for the story. the new plot elements don't REALLY get going until end game

but the gameplay updates totally invalidate vanilla

So I've heard. Marie from P4G was ghastly, and I've heard Atlus will never learn, because Atlus likes creating a disruptive, attention-hogging, extra-AF mary sue in all the special editions of their games. People keep buying them, so they'll keep making em'.

Cantido on
  • Options
    Kasumi isn't really that at all. She's pretty normal outside of her backstory.

• Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    I love the persona battle system, but I wouldn’t mind seeing some revisions beyond “we added more elements and a gun” next time around.

The SP management aspect is one of the things I like the most. It felt so satisfying to go from taking several days to do a dungeon my first time playing to being able to do it in one go my second.

• Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    the persona combat loop is definitely not super complicated but something about it makes it pretty consistently satisfying to me

and when it gets old i can ignore the dungeon crawling and spend some time doing the social sim stuff

• Options
    edited April 2020
    If you like persona combat Octopath Traveler has some cool twists on it.

I don’t like the plot or structure of that game much but the combat is very good.

rhylith on
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    i was having a lot of fun with octopath until i realized that there was basically zero character interaction, then i got bored real real fast

• Options
    i was having a lot of fun with octopath until i realized that there was basically zero character interaction, then i got bored real real fast

Yup, same. But I still really liked the combat.

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    rhylith wrote: »
    If you like persona combat Octopath Traveler has some cool twists on it.

I don’t like the plot or structure of that game much but the combat is very good.

It's extremely strong mechanically.

The key differences to SMT systems that make it better, imo?
    1) Enemies take multiple hits to a weakness to break
    2) Allies don't have weaknesses that lead to TPK if the enemy uses AoE

I think there's an elegance to your party playing by the same rules as enemies. But it's ridiculously punishing in SMT to eat a weakness hit later in the game.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    I don't really care for Octopath Blatherer.

• Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    I tried the Octopath demo and I picked the person who speaks in Ye Olde Englishe and it was so obnoxious that I quit within fifteen minutes

• Options
    H0b0manH0b0man Registered User regular
    P5 Royale is a game I'm sure I'll enjoy a lot whenever it goes on sale.

Not paying $60 for what should be a DLC package though.

FFXIV: Agran Trask
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    finished royal last night

i still really love this game

final chapter grew on me, I would say its "decent" plotwise but stuck the landing on the big dumb finale because the bonus palace was real cool and they hit you with a lot of new songs during the final boss sequence and it all got me really good as i avoided spoilers and they're all bangers

so got there on rule of cool for me

happy to report that the included soundtrack in the collectors edition is all the new songs, which was all i needed anyway

Daebunz on
    7yh4xczljsym.png
  • Options
    I liked the last Palace person, and it was actually a pretty unique take
    Aside from a few things, Maruki genuinely wanted to help people in a way that is extremely similar to what the Phantom Thieves have been doing. And I wish they left those things out, and just let his motivations stand on their own. They’re still bad, because changing the cognition of bad people and regular people is a pretty critical distinction, but I actually hated when they felt like they had to add “unambiguously horrible thing to make sure that you sided with the protagonists

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    the negotiation system is still the clunkiest thing about this game, even with the tips that Morgana gives you in Royal

• Options
    edited May 2020
    http://shmuplations.com/persona/

Classic interview with the old guard.

persona02.jpg
    —Have there been any particularly interesting responses you’ve had from fans and players?

Aihara: One thing that surprised me was that big online fan club for Nanjo!

Okada: I was a little surprised to see how popular Nanjo was. I had originally thought Mark might be a big hit, but he kind of became a mouthpiece for the main character, unfortunately. Too bad, I thought he could have been a lot more popular than Nanjo.

Aihara: Nanjo’s popularity is very unusual. The voice acting too, with lines like “yuke” (go) and “makaseru” (leave it to me)—it’s an unusual voice.

Kaneko: Personally I thought Yukino would be a fan favorite, but I was 100% wrong on that one. (laughs)

Aihara: Yeah, Ayase and Yukino aren’t popular at all.

Kaneko: Ah, is that so? And what about Elly?

Aihara: Elly has some fans. Brown was surprisingly popular too. He tells everyone the origin of his nickname when they’re all feeling sad. He’s a real “mood maker”, the kind of character who brightens everyone’s spirit when the adventure gets hard-going.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    DiarmuidDiarmuid Amazing Meatball Registered User regular
    Cos I'm a dumbass with less sense than money, I bought Persona 5 Royal.

Playing it has reminded me that the Persona 5 soundtrack is ridiculously good.

I guess it would've been cheaper to just look up the sondtrack on youtube or something.

• Options
    edited June 2020
    edit: well nevermind I think I misread

Drez on
  • Options
    I now have to play an hour-plus over again because (spoilers)...
    I forgot I don’t have a Hope Diamond in my compendium and I’m now past the “point of no return” on 12/24.

Unless... Are treasure demons available in January?