As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate - Kirby will save us all.

• Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    Maz- wrote: »
    Even though we know almost all of the characters, we know very little about the actual game as a whole. During the Treehouse segments, they were very careful not to show any of the menus and other modes.

I would not be surprised if they flat out did not exist to show here. This seemed to be an e3 build so the menu was probably "Start game." I'm guessing this build literally only had Smash mode available since that's probably the only thing playable on the show floor.

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    Warlock82 wrote: »
    Even though we know almost all of the characters, we know very little about the actual game as a whole. During the Treehouse segments, they were very careful not to show any of the menus and other modes.

I would not be surprised if they flat out did not exist to show here. This seemed to be an e3 build so the menu was probably "Start game." I'm guessing this build literally only had Smash mode available since that's probably the only thing playable on the show floor.

Oh right, that would make sense too.

Still, I think we're gonna see a few new modes revealed in the next couple of months.

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • Options
    TalithTalith 変態という名の紳士 Miami, FLRegistered User regular
    At least he gets a wahssist trophy.

7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    the line between port and new game is vague, it's waaay less of a straight port than mario kart switch was but still somehow doesn't quite feel like a whole new version.
    Kasyn wrote: »
    It is basically a port, with a few new features to the same Smash 4 engine and then character updates. Far closer to a port than it is a new game.
    ... Does this actually matter?

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    Smash time on stream

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    I want some brave soul to play Inkling sight unseen.

• Options
    I bet they got a decent chance to practice off stream beforehand

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Smash invitational's on, and Sakurai's here! Might be worth watching...

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    oh maybe I was wrong and they are going in blind hahaha

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    I bet they got a decent chance to practice off stream beforehand

Yeah, Zero tweeted about it yesterday, so they probably got quite a bit of practice.

• Options
    OH NO MIC TROUBLE

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    OH NO MIC TROUBLE

Pre-order cancelled

• Options
    ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    What the hell, putting Zero and Armada on the same team?

• Options
    SurfpossumSurfpossum A nonentity trying to preserve the anonymity he so richly deserves.Registered User regular
    These intros are off to an incredibly strong start.

• Options
    BlueBlueBlueBlue Registered User regular
    Warlock82 wrote: »

I believe I read that they cannot even pause b/c the camera isn't implemented

CD World Tour status:
    Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
  • Options
    That was fun.

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    I guess Diddy isn't available since zero isn't using him

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    BronzeKoopaBronzeKoopa Registered User regular
    The aura outlines on teams battles is neat.

• Options
    in a world,

CD World Tour status:
    Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    Smash is precisely what I was hoping, plus some. Smash 4 had the best roster of characters in any fighting game for me, I didn't want to lose any. Sakurai comes out and says "you know what? I won't take any away, I'll bring back everyone you've ever lost, and I'll give you a few more!" On top of that he tweaked gameplay, changed some characters completely, and fixed some of the dumb things on existing characters.

It's a new game that is the culmination of the series as a whole. It is literally the greatest homage to gaming as a whole now, even more so than it was with 4.

I am one happy guy. :D

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
  • Options
    I can't believe that they got Zach Galifianakis on stage.

• Options
    TK's shirt has a Wrench icon that doesn't represent any playable characters nor any other franchise.

INTERESTING

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    RidleySariaRidleySaria AnaheimRegistered User regular
    Huh. The echo character thing is odd. What makes Lucina an echo character but not Dr Mario? A lot of the characters that seems like echoes aren’t labeled as such in the character trailers. It’s not a big deal, just odd.

Man, I hope we get Impa as an echo character for Sheik. If we get that and some single player content I’ll be totally happy with this game.

-- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
  • Options
    BronzeKoopaBronzeKoopa Registered User regular
    Huh Link no longer has a hookshot grab.

• Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited June 2018
    Just saw this randomly on twitter, made me laugh:

Took me a minute to get it :P Literally revealed in that order too...

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    Huh. The echo character thing is odd. What makes Lucina an echo character but not Dr Mario? A lot of the characters that seems like echoes aren’t labeled as such in the character trailers. It’s not a big deal, just odd.
    Answered that in the OP.

Dr. Mario has several major differences from Mario. Dark Pit has like two from Pit. That's the difference, and even then some Echo Fighters will be different enough to place on their own in the tier list. Marth, for example, is a whole tier higher than Lucina because he gets more mileage if you can play him consistently.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    edited June 2018

Man, I hope we get Impa as an echo character for Sheik. If we get that and some single player content I’ll be totally happy with this game.

Echo characters only have very slight gameplay differences. Dr. Mario is quite a bit different from regular Mario - not COMPLETELY different, sure, but the changes are more noticeable and obvious than with Lucina and Marth.

Maz- on
  • Options
    KupiKupi Registered User regular
    Guys.

GUYS.

Ness's PK moves now have the geometric particle effects like they were in Earthbound.

This makes me irrationally happy!

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    With final smashes getting more focused or streamlined, I'd kind of like there to be an option for characters to build up a Final Smash use by dealing/taking damage during a match, kinda like super meters in other fighters.

• Options

Echo characters only have very slight gameplay differences. Dr. Mario is quite a bit different from regular Mario - not COMPLETELY different, sure, but the changes are more noticeable and obvious than with Lucina and Marth.

it's all in the animations right?

dr. mario doesn't have the fludd down b

CD World Tour status:
  • Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    Zero still doing work it looks like. Even without Diddy.

• Options
    Hm, did anyone catch Squirtle's or Ivysaur's down special during that match?

• Options
    a big difference in this title is in the knockback - you reach whatever your destination is very quickly, I wonder if this is going to make followup play more difficult

CD World Tour status:
  • Options
    KasynKasyn I'm not saying I don't like our chances. She called me the master.Registered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »
    the line between port and new game is vague, it's waaay less of a straight port than mario kart switch was but still somehow doesn't quite feel like a whole new version.
    Kasyn wrote: »
    It is basically a port, with a few new features to the same Smash 4 engine and then character updates. Far closer to a port than it is a new game.
    ... Does this actually matter?

It does not, but it's not like the same can't be said about uh...any topic of discussion relevant to this or any other video game, if you're trying hard to be a goose about it.

• Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    BlueBlue wrote: »

it's all in the animations right?

dr. mario doesn't have the fludd down b

It seems like a legacy thing, like if they had made Dr Mario today he surely would have been an echo character. But his very slight decloning from 4 made him not qualify anymore.

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    This may be running the same engine, but the graphical overhaul certainly makes it feel like a new game. I can't wait for 8-player Ice Climbers.

For seasoned Smash players, is this faster than 4? I know one of the big selling points of Melee is how fast it is, mostly due to wavedashing (Which might be back?)..

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
  • Options
    Zelda is Sheik, heh.

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Zelda is Sheik, heh.

Dude, spoilers!

And yes, that is a wrench icon on TK's shirt.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
This discussion has been closed.