As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Don't worry, Remedy have everything under [Control]

• Options
    ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    Contrary to just about everyone else, I’m not terribly thrilled about the graphics. Playing on a basic PS4, there have been a lot of low-res textures used. It feels like a late PS3 or very early PS4 title at best in terms of what I’m seeing.

Shadowhope on
    Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    Yeah. It seems like more of a ps4 pro game.

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    They did a comparison of the 4 console SKU's (PS4/pro, XBOX1S/X) and the PS4 came out looking very bad vs even the One S.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=niQfeglwDZ4

(Apparently the XB1X came out on top)

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    This is one of those games that is demanding on the hardware.

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Krathoon wrote: »
    This is one of those games that is demanding on the hardware.

It's a next gen game on current hardware, and/or a throwback to the days where PC gamers had a large graphical advantage over consoles.

Remedy really pushed the graphical tech on this one.

• Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    edited August 2019
    Shadowhope wrote: »
    Contrary to just about everyone else, I’m not terribly thrilled about the graphics. Playing on a basic PS4, there have been a lot of low-res textures used. It feels like a late PS3 or very early PS4 title at best in terms of what I’m seeing.

The base PS4 I'm playing on is definitely having texture loading issues and framerate dips. I just think I'm less fussed about it than others seem to be. I would very much like a performance patch to optimize things, though, but it hasn't been enough to sour me on the game.

Johnny Chopsocky on
    ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    GMaster7GMaster7 Goggles Paesano Registered User regular
    I'm wondering if this is a "wait for PS5" type of game. I don't think I can wait that long, but if the experience is going to be that much better, and because my backlog is so insane, there's a... I dunno, 15% chance that I skip this for now and wait for PS5. I'm almost certainly not going to do that. I mean, I have a Pro. But if I still had my launch PS4, I'd probably wait.

PSN: SKI2000G | Steam: GMaster7 | Battle.net: GMaster7#1842 | Twitch: twitch.tv/SKI2000G
  • Options
    I wish the pc game had all of the extras of the ps4 digital deluxe.

• Options
    I wish the pc game had all of the extras of the ps4 digital deluxe.

I thought that DLC was timed exclusive?

• Options
    I guess all of the extra stuff will be available later.

• Options
    hlprmnkyhlprmnky Registered User regular
    I’ve only gotten a couple of hours in and ...yes. Oh, yes. This game scratches many itches. Really enjoying taking my time, reading all the collectibles (which at one point made what would have otherwise been an inscrutable weird gimmick into something I understood in the context of the story right away), chipping away at the mysteries of the Bureau.

_
    Your Ad Here! Reasonable Rates!
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Timed stuff like that are as good as not existing on a game like this for me. It's not like I'd be booting it back up just to see a new outfit or something like that.

• Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular

I don't think that's quite fair, but there are definitely some shortcuts taken and severe performance dips. This is exactly what I was afraid of when the PS4 Pro came out — games being developed for the beefier console and suffering on the regular one

But really the art design in this game still stands out. It's stunning even when the textures are a bit rough.

• Options
    Monkey Ball WarriorMonkey Ball Warrior A collection of mediocre hats Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited August 2019
    Redhead female protagonist with a tenuous grasp on her own sanity navigates a surrealistic maze of a building while fighting an array of bizarre enemies aligned with an immense unseen power, in an action adventure game that steals (in the best possible way) from games like Zelda BotW and Silent Hill, mixing survival horror and bureaucratic humor.

It is like they dug into my brain and extracted the game that would appeal most to me. I really really like this game.

I am playing it with a xbone controller on PC @ 1440p (w/ gsync) with a 1070 GTX and a Ryzen 2700X (Hyperthreading is manually disabled, but PBO is enabled). Everything is turned up all the way, except obviously no Ray Tracing (I actually tried to enable it for the giggles, and it just crashes immediately).

The frames do dip down a bit noticeably here and there, but is overall a gorgeous game and runs fine with my setup.

Monkey Ball Warrior on
    "I resent the entire notion of a body as an ante and then raise you a generalized dissatisfaction with physicality itself" -- Tycho
  • Options
    edited August 2019

I don't think that's quite fair, but there are definitely some shortcuts taken and severe performance dips. This is exactly what I was afraid of when the PS4 Pro came out — games being developed for the beefier console and suffering on the regular one

But really the art design in this game still stands out. It's stunning even when the textures are a bit rough.

Spoilered for lolhuge
    f7ke6pubqr7z.jpg

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    hlprmnkyhlprmnky Registered User regular
    Prediction (still only like two hours in, remember):
    Ahti is the Oldest House, and his offer to bring you on as “his” assistant is entirely orthogonal to the designs and powers of the Board/Bureau, who “he” deigns to tolerate but finds not up to the task of dealing with real janitorial work like cleaning up the Clog, the Hiss, and so on. For that work, “he” is wanting you, perkele.

_
    Your Ad Here! Reasonable Rates!
  • Options
    Lucid_SeraphLucid_Seraph TealDeer MarylandRegistered User regular
    edited August 2019
    *edit* IGNORE ME, I HAVE THE SHINIES, now I just gotta find time :0

**EDIT** Nevermind, I see the problem is that it's not on Steam or GOG yet, and I refuse to allow Epic to install their gross-ass spyware on my PC, so... looks like I get to wait. (Unless people have recs on how to get the stupid Epic store to NOT spy on you, and generally be a trash fire)

Lucid_Seraph on
    See You Space Cowboy: a ttrpg about sad space bounty hunters
    https://podcast.tidalwavegames.com/
  • Options
    Donkeys in space!

• Options
    Finally played the game. I didn't quite understand everything the janitor was saying.

• Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    Finally played the game. I didn't quite understand everything the janitor was saying.

You’re not really supposed to at that stage.

Man I hate dying to bosses in this game and having to run back from a save point. Just checkpoint me before the boss fight like every other damn game please

• Options
    edited August 2019
    Heads up for the ending some clips the sound didn’t work for me on my Xbox one x so I only knew what was going on through subtitles

Also for people who have beat the game I cracked up at
    Shawshank Redemption!

Prohass on
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    I have found three hidden areas in this game

Finding one gets you an ability point, as well as some easter eggs

And by easter eggs I mean I think I know what game Remedy would really like to work on next

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    There’s quite a few hidden areas, some lead to really neat stuff too, it’s really awesome

• Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    I’ve only found 1.

Is there any indicators or is it just “explore everywhere”?

Because I am fine exploring everywhere. I’m pretty obsessed with this game.

PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Hidden Weapon Mod
    The furnace weapon mod is awesome. And extra so since I legit only use Grip. Now Grip is godlike.

Speaking of Grip, anyone know when the opportunity to upgrade to rank 3 opens up? Really want another mod slot on it.

• Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    My PC matches the recommended specs exactly. Should I take that to mean I can play this at 1080p and get better performance than the PS4 version?

• Options
    FreiFrei A French Prometheus Unbound DeadwoodRegistered User regular
    Dr. Darling is so great (his jokes, jesus christ). It's also great seeing Alan Wake's VA get to do live action for this game whereas he just provided the voice for Alan Wake and another actor played him and Mr. Scratch. The actor who played live action Alan was real good, though, especially when he got to cut loose as Mr. Scratch.

Are you the magic man?
  • Options
    DartboyDartboy Registered User regular
    I really want to get this, but my options are a PC that just barely beats min spec, or a non-pro PS4. Neither option sounds ideal, but does anyone else know if a PC in the potato range is decent enough at 1080p, or should I just deal with the PS4?

• Options
    AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    So the Two DLCS will probably follow (end spoilers)
    the Former and Marshall right?

I'm a bit confused at something, they had one good slide to use which was slide 36, but for some reason they did an expedition into a burned slide? I'm not sure where it was established that Trench had the burned slide on him, and it doesn't really explain why he killed himself. Did he kill himself to escape the Hiss or did someone else kill him per the Dylan/Jesse transitions.

I really liked the lore and everything, hated the combat. Love using the abilities to explore, learn new things, go through the ashtray maze, but I hate the enemy designs and I hate combat. Every time someone popped up in the end game I just thought "not again".

AlphaRomero on
  • Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    Dartboy wrote: »
    I really want to get this, but my options are a PC that just barely beats min spec, or a non-pro PS4. Neither option sounds ideal, but does anyone else know if a PC in the potato range is decent enough at 1080p, or should I just deal with the PS4?

The PS4 has not been terrible, for someone who is more enthralled with the plot and such.

Yes, it slows down in huge fights. Once it slowed down so much Im not sure how I died. That sucks.

But overall, it's been fine. Some slowdown here and there, and a bunch I've said "I cant wait to replay this buttery smooth on PS5". But the story is strong, the art is stunning and the gameplay itself is so fun it doesn't ruin the game for me by any means.

PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    Yeah. I went with ps4 because I wanted that extra sidequest in digital deluxe.

• Options
    Oh, I just found out that the extra sidequest is not just in the Digital Deluxe version, but also the season pass. They need to make that more clear.

• Options
    Really, I would argue that the tiny text makes this more of a PC game.

• Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    this game could have some really dank dlc where they put in an enormous overarching metaplot with lots of individual oops and side areas to go into each as dlc then u have to solve a bunch of megacryptic puzzles then fight GOD

but its actually a MACHINE and then u kill the MACHINE and now u fight OTHER GOD and also DEMIURGE and maybe the concept of hats

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    This game is so delightfully weird.

The Oldest House is quickly becoming one of my favorite videogames settings.

ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    this game could have some really dank dlc where they put in an enormous overarching metaplot with lots of individual oops and side areas to go into each as dlc then u have to solve a bunch of megacryptic puzzles then fight GOD

but its actually a MACHINE and then u kill the MACHINE and now u fight OTHER GOD and also DEMIURGE and maybe the concept of hats

That's not...too far from the Alan Wake dlc. You fight, like, a concept.

• Options
    SaraLunaSaraLuna Registered User regular
    Oh, I just found out that the extra sidequest is not just in the Digital Deluxe version, but also the season pass. They need to make that more clear.

Also, Best Buy sent out codes that redeemed for that side mission instead of the actual preorder bonus items

• Options
    Yooooooo

That Ashtray Maze is something else

• Options
    Alucard6986Alucard6986 xbox: Ubeltanzer swtor: UbelRegistered User regular
    Is it just me or do you never get to upgrade pierce? All the other weapons had their upgraded forms unlock with story advancement, and yet by the end of the game the pierce still seemed to be stuck at 1.

PSN: Ubeltanzer Blizzard: Ubel#1258
  • Options
    Yeah I think the pierce only has one upgrade