As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Don't worry, Remedy have everything under [Control]

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    Oh I forgot to mention that I did finish the story last night and left some side quests to do in the post game
    because I want to run around in this business suit as motherfucking FBC director Jesse Faden and take out the extradimensional garbage

I think the plot ended a little abruptly? But I did appreciate that the final sequence was a running battle against regular enemies and not a big dumb arena boss fight

And I know there's DLC coming so I'm not too bothered by the abruptness, and I like just still being around and digging into the secrets here

Great game! I basically can't stop thinking about it! At all!

Grey Ghost on
  • Options
    YerMumYerMum Registered User regular
    So I've been running around the postgame trying to get through some sidequests and :
    I haven't been able to get the Extrasensory room quest to trigger, I think the collectible is a tape, and the tape player model is sat on the side of the tank, but I can't F it. Anyone else had this problem?

Also, the mod you get from feeding the furnace is loooooovely. Makes things like Former much easier as you basically have infinite Grip ammo. Highly recommend seeking this out.

Rugged individualist
    Destiny Profile : http://www.bungie.net/en/Profile/254/7028016
  • Options
    CaptainNemoCaptainNemo Registered User regular
    YerMum wrote: »
    So I've been running around the postgame trying to get through some sidequests and :
    I haven't been able to get the Extrasensory room quest to trigger, I think the collectible is a tape, and the tape player model is sat on the side of the tank, but I can't F it. Anyone else had this problem?

Also, the mod you get from feeding the furnace is loooooovely. Makes things like Former much easier as you basically have infinite Grip ammo. Highly recommend seeking this out.

I had the same issue on the PS4. I'll try it pre-endgame on my next playthrough, that might fix it.

PSN:CaptainNemo1138
    Shitty Tumblr:lighthouse1138.tumblr.com
  • Options
    SaraLunaSaraLuna Registered User regular
    edited September 2019

For me, that quest was triggered by picking up a document further away in the research sector.
    It was in a small office — maybe the one in the HRA lab?

Also, that’s the quest that is exclusive to the ps4 digital deluxe version/season pass, if you’re playing on a different platform or have the standard edition

SaraLuna on
  • Options
    Damn! Restart has not fixed the non-spawning enemy
    Man this is just going to bug the fucking shit out of me until they patch it

• Options
    HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited September 2019
    Has Remedy talked at all about a patch for some of the common complaints? (ie more checkpoints, boss difficultly)

I really wish I could just quicksave anytime instead of their stupid control point system as well.

Hardtarget on
    steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    This game. I mostly picked it up because I wanted another game that justified my purchase of a 2080 Ti...but this thing has it's hooks in me. I want to know wtf is going in this place. I'm searching every nook and cranny for pick ups to read and it just gets weirder and weirder.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited September 2019
    Question on getting a power:
    when do you get levitate?

I just completed
    mining for a black Rock. I got it, haven't checked in with Emily, et al yet.

MichaelLC on
  • Options
    MichaelLC wrote: »

I just completed

Next mission.

• Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    Hardtarget wrote: »
    Has Remedy talked at all about a patch for some of the common complaints? (ie more checkpoints, boss difficultly)

I really wish I could just quick-save anytime instead of their stupid control point system as well.
    https://controlgame.com/control-community-update-30-8-19/

Maybe under 'General Improvements'? I could see them offering a difficulty setting, but the current checkpoint/control point system seems too integral to the game's mechanics to change.

• Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    MichaelLC wrote: »

I just completed

Next mission.

Cool, thanks. Just sounded like people were running around with it much earlier.

• Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    Side quest, Langston's runaways
    there's an area in the prime candidate section where the hallway is dramatically twisted, without the pieces separating like they do in e.g. the levitation monitor area

You find the mannequin there, but is there an explanation for why the area is distorted?

• Options
    YerMumYerMum Registered User regular

For me, that quest was triggered by picking up a document further away in the research sector.
    It was in a small office — maybe the one in the HRA lab?

Also, that’s the quest that is exclusive to the ps4 digital deluxe version/season pass, if you’re playing on a different platform or have the standard edition

ooooh that would explain it, I'm on PC :/

Rugged individualist
    Destiny Profile : http://www.bungie.net/en/Profile/254/7028016
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Side quest, Langston's runaways
    there's an area in the prime candidate section where the hallway is dramatically twisted, without the pieces separating like they do in e.g. the levitation monitor area

You find the mannequin there, but is there an explanation for why the area is distorted?

There's not as many explanations as one would like, I'm afraid

• Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    The level design is really cool.

Research is so complicated yet everything connects, it has that awesome dark souls feel of getting back to where you were but in different ways.

It’s also super pretty from an interior design point of view.

I’d want to work there if it weren’t for the monsters.

PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    Whew!

Finally beat two bosses that were giving me the fits.
    I was getting really close on both The Anchor and Mold-1, but kept getting wasted by forces off-screen.
    And both of those are long hikes back, so it was getting frustrating. Took me a few tries to realize I could just zip past the enemies along the way so that saved some time.

Just went with fully upgraded Grip with three slots of Damage Boost and used TK.

• Options
    Anyone have points of interaction not appearing?

I had to find a video on how to deal with the lantern... and I just can’t interact with it to progress the mission.

• Options
    HalibutHalibut Passion Fish Swimming in obscurity.Registered User regular
    I love this game, but with 3 or 4 side quests left, I think I’m done.

It’s too easy to die in combat from some bullshit you can’t see, and some enemies will straight up kill you in 2 hits. That, combined with the long loading times and ridiculous run-up to get back to a boss from a control point just sucked all the fun out of the game for me.

I’ll be back in for some DLC, or if they add a patch to rebalance/fix the way set piece combat scenarios work. All in all, one of my favorite games in years.

• Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    And the credits roll.

Goddamn, what a game. I liked that shit never stopped being weird, all the way through. Too many games blow their weirdness card early, or wait until the end to drop weirdness on you. Not Control. Control starts off with weirdness, escalates the weirdness throughout, and then ends with weirdness truly in its heart.

Oh, and plenty of James McCaffrey monologues. That shit is my jam.

ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    Lucid_SeraphLucid_Seraph TealDeer MarylandRegistered User regular
    Purchased and now installing.

Hilariously, when I finally bit the bullet and reinstalled the Epic Games Store, I tried to copy-paste the two-factor auth code, except it didn't work and pasted what was already in my clipboard

Which was "SCP-1471"

I think that's a sign.

See You Space Cowboy: a ttrpg about sad space bounty hunters
    https://podcast.tidalwavegames.com/
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    The boss fights... fighting former would almost be bearable if it weren’t for these holes that you have zero time to look for.

Edit: seriously this is some of the worst frustrating boss fights in recent memory holy shit

Honk on
  • Options
    Honk wrote: »
    The boss fights... fighting former would almost be bearable if it weren’t for these holes that you have zero time to look for.

Edit: seriously this is some of the worst frustrating boss fights in recent memory holy shit

... oh dear.

Are we talking Deus Ex: Human Revolution levels of "the people who designed these bossfights clearly weren't thinking about the rest of the game" or more like "The people who designed these bossfights are just sadistic assholes"

• Options
    AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular

... oh dear.

Are we talking Deus Ex: Human Revolution levels of "the people who designed these bossfights clearly weren't thinking about the rest of the game" or more like "The people who designed these bossfights are just sadistic assholes"

Deus Ex enemies were never as bad as people said, it was more that they were designed only for one type of player and it always resulted in combat and death.

Control enemies do massive amounts of damage at the best of times, bosses just decimate it and they always have little armies of normal enemies hanging around. The goal is to run and gun but you will get tagged eventually and even one bullet can be the thing that just clips you over the edge and bam, long load, run back, start again. If anything it reduces the potential for experimentation because I don't want to keep re-doing this to see if I can do X when I just want to get to Y.

• Options
    BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    Will confirm that the base Xbox One will eat complete shit during extended firefights with lots of power use, but only really once the player starts chucking a lot of shit around and blowing stuff up.

Actual regular exploration, cutscenes and even basic small-room gunfights are pretty much butter smooth, and even at a sub-1080p resolution (and I'm playing on a 4K TV, no less) the game looks pretty as everloving fuck. Definitely a big mark against it performance-wise, but rarely "unplayable" so far in the usual sense.

Of course, if I start coming up against sequences that eat shit and demand high precision control at the same time my tune will probably change, but until that happens I haven't regretted my purchase at all so far

• Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    edited September 2019
    Remedy has yet to make a good boss battle. It's their greatest weakness. That said, no boss in Control is as fist-chewingly frustrating as the final boss in Quantum Break.

Johnny Chopsocky on
    ygPIJ.gif
  • Options
    H0b0manH0b0man Registered User regular
    Just did the ashtray maze
    Was that the music Ahti's been listening to this entire time? Never would have pegged him as a metal head. That whole sequence was just really well done from both a visual and audio perspective. A lot of fun to go through.

FFXIV: Agran Trask
  • Options
    Former was very frustrating, but if you pump your TK damage you can kill him in like 10 hits and not have to worry so much about the floor

Having an enemy constantly attacking from above you who puts holes in the floor is bad design IMO

• Options
    I think one inherent problem of having boss fights in this game is that you can only get HP back from the blips left by corpses.

Even in boss fights with ads, where you get blips in the first place, it’s almost always a worse idea to go for them since you will be out in the open and likely to get killed doing it. There have been a few exceptions when the arena accommodated going to get those blips due to ample cover.

I spent the last third of the Essej fight behind a pillar, popping out to make one launch and then sit idle until there was an opportunity again.

When the bosses don’t spawn ads you just can’t heal period. And you die super quickly, there’s just not much opportunity to turn a fight around. Sitting behind a pillar and doing potshots is the best option for almost all the bosses.

• Options
    On a different note I wish there was one more weapon slot or something.

I want to use more variations but feel locked in to grip due to the utility, and pierce due to it being the objectively best thing for maybe half of all situations in the game.

If a flying enemy spawns you can get rid of it immediately with pierce, or in five minutes with any other form. If a guy in full armor appears - same. Even while they’re buffed by a sphere. If a sphere appears as well, because often you can’t rush out to get it.

They just feel like the two mandatory forms.

• Options
    Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    Do you eventually get enough ability points to unlock everything or nah

If nah, what is the max point amount?

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
  • Options
    On a different note I wish there was one more weapon slot or something.

I want to use more variations but feel locked in to grip due to the utility, and pierce due to it being the objectively best thing for maybe half of all situations in the game.

If a flying enemy spawns you can get rid of it immediately with pierce, or in five minutes with any other form. If a guy in full armor appears - same. Even while they’re buffed by a sphere. If a sphere appears as well, because often you can’t rush out to get it.

They just feel like the two mandatory forms.

nah i just slapped armour piercing on shatter and rushed my main target and unloaded and it worked fine

I thought charge was super low damage and underwhelming though

• Options
    sssssssssooooooooooooo

1. are there difficulty modes

2. how should I build myself to make these bossfights less irritating

I'm very much Here For the Story, so...

• Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    Yeah the boss fights suck real bad. There are optional ones and post-game ones, and they're all very bad.

The rest of the game is quite good though!

Hopefully you can make it past where you're stuck. There are no difficulty modes though.

• Options
    AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    sssssssssooooooooooooo

1. are there difficulty modes

2. how should I build myself to make these bossfights less irritating

I'm very much Here For the Story, so...

If you're on PC and don't want a challenge just download a trainer. The lore and powerset is infinitely the most interesting part of the game.

AlphaRomero on
  • Options
    SaraLunaSaraLuna Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    Boss Tips:
    I see a lot of people talking shit about the Spin weapon variant, but that thing melts most of the bosses. Slap any +damage or +firerate mods you have on it and just fire in controlled bursts.

Former:
    1. Don't let the orbs hit you or the ground. You can force throw them back at it, but if you're using spin like I said above, most of them will get blown up as soon as he fires them.
    2. A lot of guides I've seen say to use force throw b/c it does more damage than guns, but imo its better to conserve energy for dodging.
    3. Stay aware of the holes. Before he goes berserk, I tried to move to one side of the arena and always dodge in one direction that I knew was clear. Dodging back to where you were is a sure way to land directly on a fresh hole.
    4. once the berserk starts, there are probably holes everywhere and more coming fast. Levitate as high as you can and keep shooting and dodging. When you start to fall, stop shooting and look down to find a landing spot then take off again. IIRC, you can kill him in the second levitate if you do enough damage.

Mold:
    Max out your levitate if you can. Just stay in the air strafing and shooting the center eye. As long as you're moving the micromissiles can't hit you. The timing for dodging the tentacle is not intuitive - you have to dodge kinda early - right after it screams or whatever. It you dodge while the arm is already moving, you're gonna get hit. When it knocks down the exploding seed things, you should probably drop down and jump again before they explode to make sure you don't run out of juice and fall when they do blow up.

Anchor:
    I'm not actually sure why people have trouble with this one. Just stay on top of the adds and force throw something at the core when the opening points at you. You only have to hit it a few times.

Tommasi rematch:
    This is easily the hardest thing in the game if you're moving around, but it's actually pretty easy to cheese. When you walk into the room, there's a horizontal rock right in front of you. Get close to that rock and stay there. He can't hit you as long as you're close to it

Use the Pierce variant and peek out to fire charged shots at him when he's not attacking. It wrecks the shields and does decent health damage.
    When he spawns adds, you need to deal with them ASAP. The flyers should quickly go down to one force throw each, then start looking for the banshee. It has a shimmery effect around it. When you see the shimmer, shoot or throw something at it to stun, and then just dump on it. I used the shotgun variant for the add phases.
    Clear up any normal dudes that spawned, then go back to Pierce sniping the boss.

(I've heard you can also cheese him from the rafters. The banshees almost never get up there, but he's more likely to get get a lucky hit on you)

SaraLuna on
  • Options
    HalibutHalibut Passion Fish Swimming in obscurity.Registered User regular
    I’d be okay with a few poorly designed boss fights if you could just restart them. But if I die on my first 3 tries to some bs I couldn’t even see, and then I have to sit through a minute of loading and another minute of run-up… well, I’ve got better things to do with my life.

It makes me wonder if they knew the boss fights were bad and just made half of them optional.

• Options
    H0b0man wrote: »
    Was that the music Ahti's been listening to this entire time? Never would have pegged him as a metal head. That whole sequence was just really well done from both a visual and audio perspective. A lot of fun to go through.

Ashtray
    in game that song is by the Old Gods of Asgard, a band Jesse says she's been a fan of since she found her dad's records as a kid

I imagine the Walkman is the important item to get through the maze, the music is likely unique to the user

• Options
    Boss Tips:
    I see a lot of people talking shit about the Spin weapon variant, but that thing melts most of the bosses. Slap any +damage or +firerate mods you have on it and just fire in controlled bursts.

Former:
    1. Don't let the orbs hit you or the ground. You can force throw them back at it, but if you're using spin like I said above, most of them will get blown up as soon as he fires them.
    2. A lot of guides I've seen say to use force throw b/c it does more damage than guns, but imo its better to conserve energy for dodging.
    3. Stay aware of the holes. Before he goes berserk, I tried to move to one side of the arena and always dodge in one direction that I knew was clear. Dodging back to where you were is a sure way to land directly on a fresh hole.
    4. once the berserk starts, there are probably holes everywhere and more coming fast. Levitate as high as you can and keep shooting and dodging. When you start to fall, stop shooting and look down to find a landing spot then take off again. IIRC, you can kill him in the second levitate if you do enough damage.

Mold:
    Max out your levitate if you can. Just stay in the air strafing and shooting the center eye. As long as you're moving the micromissiles can't hit you. The timing for dodging the tentacle is not intuitive - you have to dodge kinda early - right after it screams or whatever. It you dodge while the arm is already moving, you're gonna get hit. When it knocks down the exploding seed things, you should probably drop down and jump again before they explode to make sure you don't run out of juice and fall when they do blow up.

Anchor:
    I'm not actually sure why people have trouble with this one. Just stay on top of the adds and force throw something at the core when the opening points at you. You only have to hit it a few times.

Tommasi rematch:
    This is easily the hardest thing in the game if you're moving around, but it's actually pretty easy to cheese. When you walk into the room, there's a horizontal rock right in front of you. Get close to that rock and stay there. He can't hit you as long as you're close to it

Use the Pierce variant and peek out to fire charged shots at him when he's not attacking. It wrecks the shields and does decent health damage.
    When he spawns adds, you need to deal with them ASAP. The flyers should quickly go down to one force throw each, then start looking for the banshee. It has a shimmery effect around it. When you see the shimmer, shoot or throw something at it to stun, and then just dump on it. I used the shotgun variant for the add phases.
    Clear up any normal dudes that spawned, then go back to Pierce sniping the boss.

(I've heard you can also cheese him from the rafters. The banshees almost never get up there, but he's more likely to get get a lucky hit on you)

Can confirm that all of these are valid and useful tactics that work.

Got the Platinum on Control yesterday. I don't get meant Platinum trophies, so that should say something about a) the relative ease of getting it and b) my overwhelming desire to devour everything about this game.

ygPIJ.gif
  • Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    H0b0man wrote: »

Ashtray
    in game that song is by the Old Gods of Asgard, a band Jesse says she's been a fan of since she found her dad's records as a kid

I imagine the Walkman is the important item to get through the maze, the music is likely unique to the user
    old gods of asgard is a band made for the game by poets of the fall as far as i can tell, clearly same vocalist

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    Man... the rambling really reminds me of Pontypool.

“I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”