As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

I'm cold again, [weather thread]

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    edited July 2019
    Jedoc on
    GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    Apparently the northernmost permanent human settlement, Alert, Canada, hit 70°F for the first time in recorded history this week. The average high for July is about 43°.

So that's, uh, neat?

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Duke 2.0 wrote: »
    When it comes to tourism this extreme heat has a filter effect. Local tourists feel the heat and realize they could be doing anything else. Coming back isn’t a problem. It’s not worth dealing with 100 F temperature.
    International folks are kinda stuck with it. You don’t take a week off work and pay hundreds of dollars to not explore the city. At a certain point people from colder parts of the globe reach their limit and even the economic cost isn’t worth dealing with the heat. So you are left with tourists from HOT countries.

I apologise pre-emptively for my people.

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    Apparently everybody else took the heat away from the PNW, it's only 67F or so around here when it's normally in the 80s or 90s this time of year

• Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    Apparently everybody else took the heat away from the PNW, it's only 67F or so around here when it's normally in the 80s or 90s this time of year

Just for this I’m going to point the fart bench your way

• Options
    DirtyboyDirtyboy Registered User regular
    Been so mild here this summer in Oregon I bought an in-room A/C unit a month ago and still haven't used it.

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    It's been hot dry and stuffy here. When the fan brunt out the dogs were still asking us to turn it on. Still it's gross I can start to hang laundry when finished I can go back and start to take it off the line.

• Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    Kaplar wrote: »
    Weather says 0% chance of precipitation, but it's raining out. Not sure which to believe.

They're using xcom odds.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    It is a poor craftsman who blames the horrifying deaths of his tools on the RNG.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    Was just startled by my phone buzzing, warning me about tornado weather.

Then was startled again by my phone buzzing, warning me about tornado weather en francais.

• Options
    edited July 2019
    Alarme! Alarme! La torsion!

Jedoc on
    GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    Jedoc wrote: »
    Alarme! Alarme! La torsion!

You should go to a hospital for that.

• Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    edited July 2019

Right!? I recorded this earlier.

https://youtu.be/ZbNMg5tUUKI

Weaver on
  • Options
    TynnanTynnan seldom correct, never unsure Registered User regular
    PNW folks aren’t allowed to gloat until we see what August and September look like, wildfire-wise.

:(

• Options
    darunia106darunia106 J-bob in games Death MountainRegistered User regular
    If it's anything like the last two years, not good.

pHWHd2G.jpg
  • Options
    Duke 2.0Duke 2.0 Time Trash Cat Registered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    When it comes to tourism this extreme heat has a filter effect. Local tourists feel the heat and realize they could be doing anything else. Coming back isn’t a problem. It’s not worth dealing with 100 F temperature.
    International folks are kinda stuck with it. You don’t take a week off work and pay hundreds of dollars to not explore the city. At a certain point people from colder parts of the globe reach their limit and even the economic cost isn’t worth dealing with the heat. So you are left with tourists from HOT countries.

Australians are actually one of the better tourism groups out there? Mostly because Australian summer breaks mean visiting the northern hemisphere in the winter. When nobody else has shown up you get some Aussies keeping you company in the cold.

There is a statistically least pleasant tourist country, but I feel really bad calling out a culture I don’t know very well.

VRXwDW7.png
  • Options

Australians are actually one of the better tourism groups out there? Mostly because Australian summer breaks mean visiting the northern hemisphere in the winter. When nobody else has shown up you get some Aussies keeping you company in the cold.

There is a statistically least pleasant tourist country, but I feel really bad calling out a culture I don’t know very well.

They're good! Which is a pleasant coincidence, because they are omnipresent.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    Tynnan wrote: »
    PNW folks aren’t allowed to gloat until we see what August and September look like, wildfire-wise.

:(

I worry about this in SoCal this autumn when the Santa Ana winds start up. We've had a really mild and pleasant summer so far but it's early and we haven't had any significant rainfall for a good while now so stuff is starting to dry out. And since we had such a wet winter, there's a huge amount of vegetation available as potential wildfire fuel. Even the areas that got burned out in the big Woolsey Fire last year have already bounced back.

• Options

that article always hits worryingly close to the bone.

• Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    Dirtyboy wrote: »

This picture from my trip today really stood out to me, in relation to the heat going on right now. It's got your capitalist megacorp having a touristy fake German version of one of it's stores, a beat up old work truck what probably has bad emissions, and then a giant bank of completely unused EV chargers.

mF1vTqO.jpg

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Dirtyboy wrote: »

Oh no, the Earth isn't dying. It's been through worse and will bounce back eventually.

It's just most everything on it that's going to die in the process beforehand.

• Options
    Time to sneak into a pool

• Options
    Pool snuck into

The poo is coo

• Options
    Man, sneak into pools if you got to, but don't poo in them.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    We got lucky here and dodged the heat. It's only 75 today

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    I'm reminding myself that this weekend actually has very favorable circumstances for me in terms of weathering a multi-day feels-like-110 heatwave

1. I can hide in my basement most of the day, which is underground so it stays relatively cool while the AC is doing the best it can with the rest of the house
    2. My wife is out of town visiting her parents, who live in an area that's cooler on average but thereby doesn't have AC everywhere like we do; I stayed home to hang out with the dog
    3. Since my wife isn't home, I can temporarily close off the upstairs rooms (her office, main bedroom, bathroom) so the AC doesn't try to cool them down, and sleep in the basement
    4. I recently got treatment to curb my hyperthyroidism (which makes me oversensitive to heat); it hasn't really kicked in yet, but at least I took the steps necessary
    5. Our electricity hasn't gone out yet. Fingers crossed.

even with all that, this is pretty miserable. Wish I could go back to thinking high 80s was plenty hot enough. Could be worse, could be worse.

• Options
    It topped out at a very acceptable 38C here, though the humidity was intense. I was at a garden party and somebody fainted.

A fellow australian and I agreed that overall it was good tennis weather.

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    My ac died

Fortunately I guess it was a window unit so I got a new one.

So much water in the house =/

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Anyone who needs AC and can get to Baxter, MN can come and have this big ass portable AC unit I have.

It's just collecting dust in my garage.

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    The temp dropped to the low 80’s at around 5pm today. It’s a cold wave!

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    Darth WaiterDarth Waiter Elrond Hubbard Mordor XenuRegistered User regular

that article always hits worryingly close to the bone.

I read it and it sounds like an absurd amalgam of my retiring grandfather as he crossed the U.S. and a former SAS guy I knew in my twenties announcing loudly to the bar/group, "I'm bored, let's go do something!"

• Options
    Duke 2.0Duke 2.0 Time Trash Cat Registered User regular
    I know there’s gonna be one random-ass day where the temperature is gonna drop to 50f, and all the concrete surfaces are going to be dribbling water from the stored heat difference

VRXwDW7.png
  • Options
    DirtyboyDirtyboy Registered User regular
    It was almost warm enough to turn on A/C today here in Oregon.

• Options
    I know there’s gonna be one random-ass day where the temperature is gonna drop to 50f, and all the concrete surfaces are going to be dribbling water from the stored heat difference

We have forecasts dropping us below 60 Tuesday and Wednesday because we’re in the Upside Down

• Options
    One thing I had forgotten in the fifteen years since I lived somewhere with real summer is how badly I sleep in hot weather. Huzzah for living on the third floor.

• Options
    DidgeridooDidgeridoo Flighty Dame Registered User regular
    edited July 2019
    I stupidly went paddle boarding yesterday and got (contracted? I dunno the right term) heat exhaustion. It sucked! I don't recommend it! Don't go outside, outside is the enemy!!

Didgeridoo on
  • Options
    Didgeridoo wrote: »
    I stupidly went paddle boarding yesterday and got (contracted? I dunno the right term) heat exhaustion. It sucked! I don't recommend it! Don't go outside, outside is the enemy!!

I’m leaving on a work trip for 2 weeks and needed to mow the lawn and tend to weeds yesterday to prep for that stretch and was near hallucinating near the end.

Or maybe it was the beer I was chugging to keep cool during...

This discussion has been closed.