Options

A shiny new [tech] thread that will be obsolete in 6 months.

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    My 6P also ran into battery age problems, where I could get maybe 30 minutes to an hour worth of screen time out of it, and then it started boot looping shortly after that.

Once the boot loop started I immediately gave up and bought a mid-range moto G5 plus. It's been fine.

I hate the wastefulness of it, but I'm probably just going to get a mid range phone every 18 months for $350, instead of spending $1000 on a flagship phone and trying to get 3 years out of it.

• Options
    HexDexHexDex Registered User regular
    Brolo wrote: »
    My 6P also ran into battery age problems, where I could get maybe 30 minutes to an hour worth of screen time out of it, and then it started boot looping shortly after that.

Once the boot loop started I immediately gave up and bought a mid-range moto G5 plus. It's been fine.

I hate the wastefulness of it, but I'm probably just going to get a mid range phone every 18 months for $350, instead of spending $1000 on a flagship phone and trying to get 3 years out of it.

The 6P is the first time I have been burned in any way by Google. I skipped the Pixel 1 and 2, because my 6P seemed to be running perfectly.

So the Pixel 3 is my first Pixel device. I will give this one shot. If the Pixel 3 is a home run and takes me 3 years, then I'll stay on this course. if it dies in under 2, I'll probably do what you are doing and just live up the mid range life.

I really hope this works out, because by all reports the camera is sweet.

If you are reading this add me.
    D3: HexDex#1281, PSN: DireOtter, Live: DireOtter

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    Alexa kill me please

• Options
    jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    Diarmuid wrote: »

"Alexa, I think I'm depressed."

"That's so sad. Playing 'Despacito'."

• Options
    edited October 2018
    Yeah

Brolo on
  • Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    these jokes are gettin' real ugly real quick

• Options
    Shorty wrote: »

Yeah, you're right

This is just making me cynical and in a bad mood.

• Options
    XaviarXaviar Registered User regular
    edited October 2018
    Brolo wrote: »
    Shorty wrote: »

Yeah, you're right

This is just making me cynical and in a bad mood.

Can I recommend an ice cream sandwich to make you feel better?

Xaviar on
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    About one of the only "ugh, I'd never use a smartphone" luddite bullshit things I sitll have is "you will never get one of those fucking things in my house".

It's not even a "My privacy!" thing, they just don't do anything good as far as I can tell.

• Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Mine plays music and turns my lights off and on for me.

Thats about it until I get a better TV

• Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    Tube wrote: »
    About one of the only "ugh, I'd never use a smartphone" luddite bullshit things I sitll have is "you will never get one of those fucking things in my house".

It's not even a "My privacy!" thing, they just don't do anything good as far as I can tell.

I really dislike repeating myself, and everytime I visit someone who has an echo, the degree to which they need to downright browbeat alexa into doing what they want is enough to dissuade me from getting one.

• Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    edited October 2018
    Tube wrote: »

I was given one as a gift by a group of teachers for Christmas last year, and pretty much use it exclusively as a hands-free Spotify player.

Goose! on
  • Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    I had a Google Home for a bit, and the commands at the time were so long and convoluted that it was just a huge pain. "OK Google, tell Harmony to change the TV input to HDMI 1"

I can just click a button on my remote faster.

It also seemed to take forever to control lights. Like a solid 10 - 15 second delay. Which doesn't sound like much, but it's exactly the amount of time for you to assume it didn't work and start repeating yourself, angrily.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    I got given one as a gift, probably wouldn't have bought it but useful for music and going "Computer turn off the lights" like captain kirk. Been on the verge of tossing it along with my prime account for a while though because of amazon's general everything.

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    Given the number of times I say I feel like shit/depressed out loud on a given day I should probably never own an Alexa just so I can not have depression med ads constantly.

• Options
    djmitchelladjmitchella Registered User regular
    I find it's useful as a timer, for things like "alexa, remind me to take out the bread in 35 minutes" rather than having to fiddle with the awkward buttons on the oven itself. (and yeah, voice-controlled spotify is pretty handy when it works)

• Options
    RCy4NIM.jpg
    Text:
    Amazon may have sold millions of Echoes and other devices equipped with its voice-controlled Alexa smart assistant partially in the hopes that it could nudge users into letting an upbeat voice convince them to buy more crap. But it doesn’t appear to be working, according to a report in the Information on Monday.

Per the report, despite sales of 50 million Alexa-capable devices, pretty much no one is using Alexa to place orders for them on Amazon. Fewer still place an order via Alexa and then decide they have the stomach to do it again. In fact, the number of one-time Alexa shoppers in 2018 lurks in the low single digits:

The Information has learned that only about 2% of the people with devices that use Amazon’s Alexa intelligent assistant—mostly Amazon’s own Echo line of speakers—have made a purchase with their voices so far in 2018, according to two people briefed on the company’s internal figures. Amazon has sold about 50 million Alexa devices, the people said.

Of the people who did buy something using Alexa voice shopping, about 90% didn’t try it again, one of the people said. A larger number, 20%, have engaged more broadly with Alexa voice shopping by using commands like “What are my deals?” and “Where is my stuff?” to track orders that were likely made on other devices.

https://gizmodo.com/report-almost-nobody-is-using-amazons-alexa-to-actuall-1828148762

• Options
    I can't really conceive of a way I'd ever want to shop or purchase things by having a voice read products and their descriptions out loud, one at a time, until I got to the one I actually wanted.

• Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Yup. I turned off "one click" or whatever they call it, ordering with my Alexa first thing so I don't do it accidentally.

• Options
    I mistook the context on the "low single digits" line and for a second I was like "only 2-5 people have ordered anything with their voice in 2018?"

• Options
    JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    I disabled everything that could do anything beyond the Echo - outgoing phone calls, purchases, emails, etc. No way any of those would end well.

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Options
    also if you were still investing in bitcoin... well, stop doing that:

Uugdbml.jpg
    The price of major cryptocurrencies plunged on Thursday with nearly $13 billion of value being wiped out in a matter of hours.

At around 10:23 a.m. HK/SIN, bitcoin had fallen nearly 5 percent to $6,303, while XRP and ethereum both tanked over 10 percent, according to data from Coinmarketcap.com. It’s not unusual to see bitcoin lead other digital tokens lower.

In just three hours, nearly $13 billion of value had been erased from the entire cryptocurrency market.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/10/11/bitcoin-price-nearly13-billion-wiped-off-cryptocurrency-market.html

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    I'm still surprised it's as high as it is!

Still, I suspect once people realize it really has no value or use outside of mostly illegal stuff it'll just tank back down to $100-500 USD.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    13 billion sounds like a lot, if you take it out of the context of a total market cap of a couple of hundred trillion.

That's like "I had $200 in my wallet, but then I dropped a dime and a few pennies"

• Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    Or maybe now is the best time to start investing

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    13 billion sounds like a lot, if you take it out of the context of a total market cap of a couple of hundred trillion.

That's like "I had $200 in my wallet, but then I dropped a dime and a few pennies"

But the market cap's nowhere near hundreds of trillions of dollars. There's not even a quarter of a trillion dollars in the top ten coins listed there.

• Options
    Kwoaru wrote: »

This one sentence is the entire reason this has even lasted as long as it has.

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Kwoaru wrote: »
    Buy low, sell high!

• Options
    edited October 2018

But the market cap's nowhere near hundreds of trillions of dollars. There's not even a quarter of a trillion dollars in the top ten coins listed there.

Sorry, math was off. Couple hundred billion.

But the point is that a big drop is not a reason to stop investing. That's just not the way crypto markets work. They swing pretty wildly. I don't think they're going up anywhere near the peaks they were at a year ago anytime soon, but crypto currency has always been volatile. There have been 5%+ drops and surges in less than a day on a few occasions, and the current price is basically what it was back in mid September.

That said, obviously don't invest anything you can't afford to tragically lose overnight.

minor incident on
  • Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    I started thinking the other day, about all the “Internet of Things” products that Silicon Valley keeps trying to push on everyone.

Who, I wondered, are these products for? Not a novel question, I know. Usually we answer “nobody”. But my suspicion is that this is the sort of thing that comes out of the SV culture itself. Thousands of young people who’ve never done basic life stuff for themselves, but they can all write code so their solution to “the fridge is empty” isn’t to get up and go to the store, but instead to design a fridge that orders food for you. It’s basically designing a mother to replace the one who finally made them move out. And since they’re living in the SV bubble, they don’t understand that most people don’t live like that.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    knitdan wrote: »
    I started thinking the other day, about all the “Internet of Things” products that Silicon Valley keeps trying to push on everyone.

Who, I wondered, are these products for? Not a novel question, I know. Usually we answer “nobody”. But my suspicion is that this is the sort of thing that comes out of the SV culture itself. Thousands of young people who’ve never done basic life stuff for themselves, but they can all write code so their solution to “the fridge is empty” isn’t to get up and go to the store, but instead to design a fridge that orders food for you. It’s basically designing a mother to replace the one who finally made them move out. And since they’re living in the SV bubble, they don’t understand that most people don’t live like that.

"Hmmm I wonder if the dishwasher is done. I mean, I'm twenty feet away from it, sitting on my couch, so I could hear if it was, but nahhhh let me bust out my app and check. The future!"

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    pimentopimento she/they/pim Registered User regular
    "Uh, lets see.." [frantically looks around his kitchen] "Oh, my juicer doesn't have an app..."

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    I think the internet of things is also related to the automatic house idea from things like the Jetsons

• Options
    pimentopimento she/they/pim Registered User regular
    I think the internet of things is also related to the automatic house idea from things like the Jetsons

That, and adding an alarm clock to shit that doesn't need an alarm clock.

• Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    I just want a pair of bluetooth headphones that doesn't have a mic.

sig.gif
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited October 2018
    It's useful for things like washer/dryers because you often can't tell how much time is left or whatever or even hear them since they're usually in a basement. Fridges and thermostats are a good product too. "Oh shit, do I still have milk? When did I even get that gallon, is it still good?"

If you're like me you end up having like 3-4 pints at a time because I keep buying it thinking the other one is either bad or I didn't have any yet.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    SporkAndrewSporkAndrew Registered User, ClubPA regular
    bowen wrote: »
    If you're like me you end up having like 3-4 pints at a time because I keep buying it thinking the other one is either bad or I didn't have any yet.

That's like me and rubber gloves for washing up. There was a period of time when the good ones were on offer so every week I'd walk past them down the aisle, see that they were cheap, and throw a few packs in the trolley. Once home they'd just get thrown under the sink in the vague direction of a storage container that houses washing-up stuff.

It wasn't until I emptied the cupboard under the sink to fix a leak that I realised I had about 24 packets, so 48 pairs of rubber gloves.

The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin
  • Options
    bowen wrote: »
    It's useful for things like washer/dryers because you often can't tell how much time is left or whatever or even hear them since they're usually in a basement. Fridges and thermostats are a good product too. "Oh shit, do I still have milk? When did I even get that gallon, is it still good?"

Yeah, when you have to go outside, around the back of the house, and through the cellar door to get to the basement to check the washing machine, you definitely realize it'd be super nice to just open an app to see if it's finished yet.

• Options
    KarlKarl Registered User regular
    Sorce wrote: »
    I just want a pair of bluetooth headphones that doesn't have a mic.

You're the first person I've ever read say "I don't want a mic".

How come?

This discussion has been closed.