Options

A shiny new [tech] thread that will be obsolete in 6 months.

• Options
    CormacCormac Registered User regular
    I've come to loathe iCloud when I have to get pictures off of people's phones to print or to copy/archive things to a USB drive. Apple doesn't make it clear which photos are physically on the phone (the only ones I can access) or in the cloud. Yeah, your gallery may say you have 3000 pictures but thanks to iCloud and a setting in Photos which, at best, saves thumbnail previews to the phone and uploads everything else the cloud you may only have a minute fraction that I can access. Also, videos bigger than 4GB can only be accessed if you have iTunes installed.

Don't even get me started on their P3 color profile or the HEIC format.

Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • Options
    Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    I’m trying to decide if I just want the new shiny*, or if I’m not happy with my Xs.

*Pixel 3 or that new silver Note 9.

• Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    SilverWind wrote: »
    Nothing particularly exciting about the Pixel 3, but I've got a Nexus 6p that's dying a little more every day so I think I'm going to upgrade

6P buddy! I need to upgrade, too, but I think I'm gonna go Pixel 2 XL refurbished as it's cheaper and, in order to keep my grandfathered Verizon Unlimited plan, I can't ever do any payment plan ever apparently.

• Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    edited October 2018
    rhylith wrote: »
    is it still apple policy to explicitly downclock old phones and tablets with OS updates to make them run poorly so you have to buy a new one maintain longer battery life? that one really sticks in my craw.

The last couple of updates to my 6 have been explicitly designed to help older phones work better, and it does feel like there are speed and battery improvements. That doesn't mean they won't backslide, but it does feel like the company has turned a corner on that policy, at least.

You also still have until the end of the year to get a replacement battery for like 30 bucks since that kid figured out they were screwing with battery life to maintain performance as the battery aged.

Unfortunately, they won't replace my battery because it has a hairline crack on the screen. That knocks the repair bill up quite a bit.

Phillishere on
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Android with no shitty skin on it is just so fucking good. Lightning quick and no dumb shit to have to work around, my Nokia 8 is easily the best phone I've ever had. Camera takes pretty great photos too.

• Options
    godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    edited October 2018

godmode on
  • Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    As someone who provides desktop support to a lot of Apple users.

This is shitacularly bad and could legitimately cost someone their job.

Actually it could cost a lot of someone's jobs. Considering people won't be able to earn money from working on Mac products.

So.

Fuck that.

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    How difficult is it to become an authorised repairer? I think that's gonna be the main hurdle for small shops.

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    is it still apple policy to explicitly downclock old phones and tablets with OS updates to make them run poorly so you have to buy a new one maintain longer battery life? that one really sticks in my craw.

The last couple of updates to my 6 have been explicitly designed to help older phones work better, and it does feel like there are speed and battery improvements. That doesn't mean they won't backslide, but it does feel like the company has turned a corner on that policy, at least.

You also still have until the end of the year to get a replacement battery for like 30 bucks since that kid figured out they were screwing with battery life to maintain performance as the battery aged.

Oh, they're stopping the cheap battery thing?

• Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    Tube wrote: »

Oh, they're stopping the cheap battery thing?

Yeah it was only for this year. I guess they either stopped the battery management stuff or now people are aware of it so they can buy based on that knowledge? I dunno.

• Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    edited October 2018
    Hmmm so a new mobo is probably gonna lock me into DDR4 these days right? Boo to that, I have 16 gig of perfectly serviceable god fearing DDR3 and DDR4 looks expensive (and covered in LEDs for some reason)

Kwoaru on
    2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    Kwoaru wrote: »
    Hmmm so a new mobo is probably gonna lock me into DDR4 these days right? Boo to that, I have 16 gig of perfectly serviceable god fearing DDR3 and ddr4 is expensive

My mobo is a couple of years old and is DDR-4. So, yeah, probably.

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    Kwoaru wrote: »
    Hmmm so a new mobo is probably gonna lock me into DDR4 these days right? Boo to that, I have 16 gig of perfectly serviceable god fearing DDR3 and DDR4 looks expensive (and covered in LEDs for some reason)

Any current (or even recent-ish) gen motherboard will only be DDR4, yeah. You're looking at about $120 for 16GB at the moment.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    Makes sense i guess, I suppose this motherboard is kind of ancient at this point

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    edited October 2018
    tynic wrote: »
    How difficult is it to become an authorised repairer? I think that's gonna be the main hurdle for small shops.

I imagine it would require acquiring a thousand certificates ranging from

'How to plug in iphone to charger'

to

'How to replace mobo in the Mac Pro'

and requiring 50 hours of in class training and having to pass both a written and pratical exam.

Each exam costs $1000, and you won't be a certified tech until you acquire 90 'level 1' certificates, in which case you are allowed to have an opinion on why the iphone is broken under direct supervision.

After 10 years, you may attempt level 2 certification. But since they updated how the certificates work, you'll need to retake level 1 certifications (which will cost you $9000) before you can attempt level 2 (another $9000). At which point you're able to hold a Iphone and have an opinion on why the phone is broken.

Oh yeah, you'll need to recert every year because 'fuck you, they're not making any new tests for us to certify and we need to get more money out of you somehow!'

I'm not bitter about NICET certifications or anything....

Casually Hardcore on
  • Options
    MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    edited October 2018
    Cormac wrote: »
    I've come to loathe iCloud when I have to get pictures off of people's phones to print or to copy/archive things to a USB drive. Apple doesn't make it clear which photos are physically on the phone (the only ones I can access) or in the cloud. Yeah, your gallery may say you have 3000 pictures but thanks to iCloud and a setting in Photos which, at best, saves thumbnail previews to the phone and uploads everything else the cloud you may only have a minute fraction that I can access. Also, videos bigger than 4GB can only be accessed if you have iTunes installed.

Don't even get me started on their P3 color profile or the HEIC format.

My mother was very confused when I told her that we couldn't do her slideshow during the family reunion because we didn't have internet and none of the photos she had uploaded to her computer from her point and shoot were on her computer.

It's... not a seamless experience.

MrMonroe on
  • Options
    Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular

to

and requiring 50 hours of in class training and having to pass both a written and pratical exam.

Each exam costs $1000, and you won't be a certified tech until you acquire 90 'level 1' certificates, in which case you are allowed to have an opinion on why the iphone is broken under direct supervision.

After 10 years, you may attempt level 2 certification. But since they updated how the certificates work, you'll need to retake level 1 certifications (which will cost you $9000) before you can attempt level 2 (another $9000). At which point you're able to hold a Iphone and have an opinion on why the phone is broken.

Oh yeah, you'll need to recert every year because 'fuck you, they're not making any new tests for us to certify and we need to get more money out of you somehow!'

I think you’re off by a factor of 10...

• Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    edited October 2018

to

actually tbh, I think it just means passing a credit/background check, and buying all the tools. i can't remember where i read it, deep deep on Ars Technica, but I thought at the time "that seems reasonable"

Jasconius on
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    If this was ever true then there would have been easier ways to do it, like just denying iOS updates to all but the most recent two phones or whatever. Like a lot of Android phones are shit for staying up-to-date with the OS so it wouldn’t even have raised an eyebrow.

It was just a reasonable decision implemented in a really stupid way. Then people put on their tinfoil hats and insist it was totally a thing.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    KarlKarl Registered User regular
    I'm holding out to see what the OnePlus 6T brings before I decide between that or the Pixel

Saying that S9's are pretty cheap right now

• Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    I'm about 90% of the way to get this Galaxy S 4G on Gingerbread as a daily driver, it's kind of incredible.

The big lesson here is, never install Google Play. As long as you don't do that, the world is your oyster.

sig.gif
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Jasconius wrote: »

to

actually tbh, I think it just means passing a credit/background check, and buying all the tools. i can't remember where i read it, deep deep on Ars Technica, but I thought at the time "that seems reasonable"

Kind of.

You also have a lot of rules about what you can and cannot do. Want to save your customers several hundred dollars with refurbished parts? Lol nope, direct from manufacturer only. Louis Rossmann has a lot of videos on his youtube channel about it, but I'm a big advocate for right to repair, so I'm a bit biased against apple authorized stuff.

"But Bowen" you might say "apple needs to ensure the highest quality of their items!"

and maybe that's true, but a lot of the stuff that needs to be repaired is because apple buys shit quality stuff now for the internals and they break fantastically. (They don't really care about the quality they just want control of the process because it gets them more money)

A lot of the items that break can be repaired in normal circumstances, but apple has dipped so far into the hardware DRM stuff that changing a hard drive out can brick the whole device. Like I've said a few times already, these are solved problems and apple is purposefully being a asshole about this shit.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    XaviarXaviar Registered User regular
    edited October 2018
    bowen wrote: »
    Jasconius wrote: »

to

Kind of.

You also have a lot of rules about what you can and cannot do. Want to save your customers several hundred dollars with refurbished parts? Lol nope, direct from manufacturer only. Louis Rossmann has a lot of videos on his youtube channel about it, but I'm a big advocate for right to repair, so I'm a bit biased against apple authorized stuff.

"But Bowen" you might say "apple needs to ensure the highest quality of their items!"

and maybe that's true, but a lot of the stuff that needs to be repaired is because apple buys shit quality stuff now for the internals and they break fantastically. (They don't really care about the quality they just want control of the process because it gets them more money)

A lot of the items that break can be repaired in normal circumstances, but apple has dipped so far into the hardware DRM stuff that changing a hard drive out can brick the whole device. Like I've said a few times already, these are solved problems and apple is purposefully being a asshole about this shit.

I can add a little bit to this, though it's been several years since we looked into becoming an AASP.

They wanted us to have at least one tech on staff who was the "Apple Tech" and only those techs would be able to work on Apple stuff. Which on its face is fine. The sticking point is that the "Apple Tech" was not allowed to service anything else.

To the bolded point above, it isn't just MFG direct parts that are required. Only parts that are offered with a specific SKU are allowed to be used, regardless of compatibility. One of the more popular upgrades for aging macbooks is to replace the 2.5" HDD with an SSD. Not allowed. Client wants a RAM configuration that works perfectly fine, but isn't available on the list of options on the website when they bought it? Too bad.

Also, iPhone screen repairs are one of our biggest drivers. If we were AASP, we would have to cut off that arm immediately. AST2 (which is the proprietary software the new big kerfluffle is all about) is available to AASPs. But the "calibration machines" that are part of the authorized iPhone repair are not, except for a few, extremely large-pocketed partners.

[edit]

Although, to speak to the battery thing a little bit, it is possible I'm giving them too much credit, but I think the anger over it is way overblown. It feels much more like an engineering solution to an engineering problem that did not get run past PR or design.

Batteries lose capacity over their life. As they get older, they lose capacity faster. This is just a real fact of life.

iOS would start to throttle back processing power usage (and therefore speed) as the capacity dropped, in order to maintain a "standard length of battery life"

To me, this really just feels like someone went to the engineering team and said "Hey. These phones start dying before the end of the day after a couple of years. Fix that."
    and the engineering team looked at the tools at their disposal, and said, "Ok."

[edit-edit]

Also, to talk a little bit more about the MFG-only parts. You also run into situations where the part is either standard or almost standard, but you have to pay an extra $90-150 to get it from Apple. For instance one of the older iMac line has a WD HDD that has a proprietary interface for the thermal sensor. Now, as a non-authorized repair show, there are a million sensors available that you can plug in and work perfectly fine with any other HDD, but that isn't allowed.

Okay, "But sure they should charge more! It has a special sensor!" Aha! I have led you into a trap! The newer models don't have the fancy sensor. They are regular WD HDDs, they just also have an apple logo tucked into the corner of the label.

And that is dumb.

Xaviar on
  • Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    right to repair feels like one of those things that has enough cross-political divide push that i'm surprised it hasn't happened yet, but i guess the tech lobby can push a lot harder than people who's shit is broken.

that video a few months ago about proprietary tractors was crazy.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    Making a shopping list of computer parts I want so I can look out for black friday deals or whatever

A new moderate fancy boy mobo, processor, and 16 gigs of DDR4 would run me just over 4 hundred today so if I can get that for close to 3 I'll be happy

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    Knight_ wrote: »
    right to repair feels like one of those things that has enough cross-political divide push that i'm surprised it hasn't happened yet, but i guess the tech lobby can push a lot harder than people who's shit is broken.

Yeah, there's actually a much stronger right-to-repair push in tractors and motorcycles, but people have a lot less visibility into the consumer issues in those fields and so the lobby groups have a much easier time waving them off.

• Options
    Xaviar wrote: »

Yeah, there's actually a much stronger right-to-repair push in tractors and motorcycles, but people have a lot less visibility into the consumer issues in those fields and so the lobby groups have a much easier time waving them off.

IT/Tech is teaming up with the tractor people though.

The solidarity is kind of awesome because tractor peeps show up to IT right-to-repair events constantly.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    In other news, I got my Vector and he is pretty cute. Anxiously awaiting the SDK launch though so I can make him do stuff.

• Options
    PhasenPhasen Hell WorldRegistered User regular
    Xaviar wrote: »
    In other news, I got my Vector and he is pretty cute. Anxiously awaiting the SDK launch though so I can make him do stuff.

That is a hell of a commercial they run on that site.

psn: PhasenWeeple
  • Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular

That was a non-zero factor in my dad selling the farm. The only thing that made a real profit most years was baling hay, which is an extremely time-sensitive process. You've got to cut it, let it dry for a few days, and bale as much as you can in the short window between midnight and dawn where the dewpoint will let the alfalfa leaves survive the baling process without shattering and ending up on the ground. And if it rains at any point between cutting and baling, it becomes nearly useless as feed and instantly loses about 80% of its value.

It's...a pretty nerve-wracking profession.

He survived as an independent farmer for as long as he did because he and my grandpa and uncle are all insanely accomplished mechanics. About half the hours they worked were spent doing thousands of dollars worth of repairs to various complex machines.

A few years back, he sunk a year's profits into a new baler that would make the giant square bales preferred by the dairy network feeding the local cheese plant, and allow him to contract directly with them instead of constantly hustling to sell small bales to cranky old ranchers. It had several components that he was locked out of troubleshooting himself, even though it could have easily been accomplished with a $100 code reader were it not for the goddamn DRM baked into the system.

Imagine his delight when a sensor malfunction forced him to spend three days waiting for a tech to fly in from Nebraska to fix it. There was nothing mechanically wrong, the baler was just felt like it was broken. And of course he got rained out.

It's like if your IT department fucked up so bad that you lost your wages for the last three months. Fuck John Deere in the neck. (Also New Holland, Case, and International Harvester, but for some reason they don't show up in the news as much.)

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular

I did a paper on that earlier this year. Its super messed up. Though John Deere has sort of the opposite issue I see with Apple. Their known for quality products that will last damn near forever, and instead of making their product worse, they made the upkeep on it cost a ton so they can keep the cash flowing.

Drone farm equipment is also quickly becoming a thing for medium/large sized farms. You have to keep fewer staff on hand since you can control everything from your PC, but now a lot of farmers are seeing that extra money from that particular part of the industry going back into repair and maintenance since the parts cost more, the service costs a ton, and everything is software locked.

It was really cool reading into the interviews with several farmers that had to take crash courses in how to read programming language or at least how to modify it so they can pirate software and bypass the locks.

Cars are starting to go that way too. My dad has a buddy whos owned a mechanics shop for longer then I've been alive and hes retiring next year because he hates the software stuff and its getting too expensive for him to keep up with it all. Hes also 65, so that doesn't hurt

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    I just ignored a call from a spammer. If you wrote out the ten digits it would look like a call from the Oklahoma City area code, but apparently they ran afoul of some algorithm that made my phone think it was an international call from Romania.

Good job, spammers.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    We've been getting 555-555-5555 over the last couple weeks. It's like, at least fucking try, you know?

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    edited October 2018
    webguy20 wrote: »
    We've been getting 555-555-5555 over the last couple weeks. It's like, at least fucking try, you know?

I pretty much only get calls from numbers that share the same first 6 to 8 digits of my phone number. Which at least makes them easy to ignore and block.

minor incident on
    Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    pimentopimento she/they/pim Registered User regular
    Major QA fail on that new windows update.

• Options
    how in the fuck did that make it past QA?

how in the fuck did that make it past the developers?

• Options
    DiarmuidDiarmuid Amazing Meatball Registered User regular
    Didn't MS lay off a lot of QA staff not too long ago?

There may be some connection.

• Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    The battery for the 6p is horrendous. Mine does the early shut down thing too, particularly if it's cold, which in Canada means half the year if you're outdoors. A full charge now only lasts me half a day. And this was after getting the device replaced after I complained

It was a huge issue for a lot of people and I'm still peeved it happened

The 6P battery system was/is straight-up defective. They took care of me (eventually) by giving me a P1XL refurb for free, but there is a design flaw either in the charging circuit or the battery itself.

• Options
    HexDexHexDex Registered User regular
    edited October 2018
    a5ehren wrote: »
    The battery for the 6p is horrendous. Mine does the early shut down thing too, particularly if it's cold, which in Canada means half the year if you're outdoors. A full charge now only lasts me half a day. And this was after getting the device replaced after I complained

It was a huge issue for a lot of people and I'm still peeved it happened

The 6P battery system was/is straight-up defective. They took care of me (eventually) by giving me a P1XL refurb for free, but there is a design flaw either in the charging circuit or the battery itself.

I bought a 6P within the launch window back in 2015. I don't use my phone like a normal person, so had no idea there were battery issues until February of this year during a trip over seas when I actually needed the battery to, you know, take pictures and things.

It has spiraled rapidly in that time. I get about 30 minutes of screen on time in battery saver mode, maybe an hourish if I dont turn the screen on. Opening the camera app at all is an instant shut down if I am not on AC.

My Pixel 3 can't get here fast enough. I am going to try and use it like normal people use their phones for the first year so I can catch battery issues when everyone else would.

HexDex on
    If you are reading this add me.
    D3: HexDex#1281, PSN: DireOtter, Live: DireOtter

This discussion has been closed.