As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The [Android Games] thread

• Options
    furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    I have been playing Evertale with my son and we are enjoying it. For a dollar it has a serviceable story, although the Pokemon comparison is not apt. This is the first Gacha I have ever really played but you don't actually need great pulls to progress so I can't complain that much.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    Stardew Valley is on sale right now for $5.50 down from 8. I haven't launched it yet but few people were complaining about the controls

• Options
    CheeselikerCheeseliker Registered User regular
    It works great on android. Been playing a bunch.

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    Neverwinter Nights: Enhanced Edition is on sale, down to £3.39 from its regular £9.99 for the next four days. Worth picking up?

Jazz on
  • Options
    FremFrem Registered User regular
    Jazz wrote: »
    Neverwinter Nights: Enhanced Edition is on sale, down to £3.39 from its regular £9.99 for the next four days. Worth picking up?

Only if you've got a decently sized screen. I played a few hours on a 7 inch tablet and wished that things were a little bit larger.

• Options
    I have a phone with a 6" screen, and that's all, no tablet. And it actually does recommend a 7" or bigger display.

I took a punt on it anyway. Some of the reviews were from people playing on phones with smaller screens than mine and they got on okay. So, what the hell.

One fantastic thing about it is that the main app is very small (11MB) and it can install its subsequent big data download (4GB) onto the SD card. That's a feature I appreciate.

• Options
    DirtyboyDirtyboy Registered User regular
    Kingdom Adventures by Kairosoft is out now. It's F2P with energy and time mechanics but several hours in it's been very easy to gain crystals (currency) to advance building and refill energy.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.kairosoft.android.kingdom_en

• Options
    El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    Why do you do this to me? Kairosoft games are my jam.

PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

• Options
    I have like 20 Kairosoft games installed on my tablet lol.

• Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    jdarksun wrote: »
    I have so many questions about this game.

Same. I just go with it, for now. The "lifespan of NPCs" has me worried.

• Options
    In the options click help and it has a lengthy explanation of how the basic mechanics of the game work. Lifespan is how many "lives" your townsfolk have, each time they aren't revived from a KO they lose 1 and when out they perma die.

• Options
    I usually throw a few bucks at F2P games I enjoy but yeesh, the amount of diamonds you get per dollar is pretty bad. The Tapjoy ad-sponsored diamonds are much higher per money spent.

• Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
  • Options
    Had a friend on Facebook ask for phone game recommendations (on Android). Her sister recommended Candy Crush, so after I'd picked myself up off the floor, I felt it only appropriate to throw down a list including KOTOR, XCOM, PUBG, Motorsport Manager, Ticket to Ride, Carcassonne, Spaceteam, Ur-Quan Masters, Streets of Rage 2, etc, etc...

But I did also make special mention of Neko Atsume, separately. Probably closer to what she was looking for...

• Options
    BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    I searched for that Neko game and now I'm wishing someone made a hamster game like that.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • Options
    jdarksun wrote: »
    I have so many questions about this game.
    Ugh. I built my second town on a level 30 mob, and now the villagers there are killing themselves on it. Since they only have two lives, this is a huge problem. Is there any way to get my squad of super powerful monster killers into the second town, or am I screwed?

• Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    How do you direct a townsperson to clear land inside your wall? it seems to only let me deploy them outside the walls.

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    azith28 wrote: »
    How do you direct a townsperson to clear land inside your wall? it seems to only let me deploy them outside the walls.
    They'll clear stuff in their free time, don't assign them any tasks and they'll eventually get around to it. It's the sort of game that benefits heavily from you leaving it open even while you're not playing. If you check it periodically you can get a ton of caves beaten as well as zounds of resources.

• Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    I got Holedown and it's good! Everyone that said it was good is right!

• Options
    RandomHajileRandomHajile Not actually a Snatcher The New KremlinRegistered User regular
    Peen wrote: »
    I got Holedown and it's good! Everyone that said it was good is right!
    Man, how is 2018? It’s been so long that I don’t remember... :P

• Options
    DracilDracil Registered User regular
    Through the Ages expansion has released digitally yesterday! So many awesome new cards and I have to completely relearn all my strategies now.

3DS: 2105-8644-6304
    Switch: US 1651-2551-4335 JP 6310-4664-2624
    MH3U Monster Cheat Sheet / MH3U Veggie Elder Ticket Guide
  • Options
    Because Kairosoft hates your free time, Mega Mall Story 2 is out.

• Options
    Ed GrubermanEd Gruberman Registered User regular
    Downwell is free on the Play store. I'm not sure how well it controls with touch controls but it's a great pick-up-and-play game on every other system.

steam_sig.png

SteamID: edgruberman GOG Galaxy: EdGruberman
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    Downwell is free on the Play store. I'm not sure how well it controls with touch controls but it's a great pick-up-and-play game on every other system.

First time I played Downwell was at a PAX on a phone. IIRC, it worked shocking well on a touch screen.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    Dirtyboy wrote: »

I kind of bounced off hard on Kingdom Adventures, and never did play the first Mega Mall Story. I'm willing to give this one a try.

• Options
    Yeah Kingdom Adventures turns into a daily slog after awhile, typical of F2P games. I enjoyed their pirate, airplane, and Power Rangers F2P games more. The next game translated to engrish should be a basketball one which I am looking forward to (played the hell out of Home Run High).

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Google is getting into the game thing with $4.99 per month for 350 games. Same deal as Apple, no ads or in app purchases. Not sure what the game list is but so far I've seen KOTOR, Stardew Valley, Monument Valley, Mini Metro, Limbo, and Eloh mentioned.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    Yeah suddenly Apple's exclusivity requirement is making a bunch more sense. But Google Play is also more like a gamepass service, where we will probably see games rotating off to try and force people to buy them in the store.

The timing of this stuff also seems agressive vis-a-vis the Switch lite.

rahkeesh2000 on
  • Options
    SelnerSelner Registered User regular
    Dirtyboy wrote: »

I kind of bounced off hard on Kingdom Adventures, and never did play the first Mega Mall Story. I'm willing to give this one a try.

What year to the first one come out? I vividly recall getting it on my wife's iPhone, as I couldn't get it one mine for some reason. I played it for a little bit.

But I went ahead and grabbed the 2nd one, I've only played it a little bit so far.

I also tried the Adventures game, and it's nothing too exciting. I feel like I'm stockpiling a bunch of resources, but have no idea what they are used for.

• Options
    Yeah suddenly Apple's exclusivity requirement is making a bunch more sense. But Google Play is also more like a gamepass service, where we will probably see games rotating off to try and force people to buy them in the store.

The timing of this stuff also seems agressive vis-a-vis the Switch lite.

The interesting part is that there will be some non-games in the mix. I'm curious to see what shows up in there that's not a game.

• Options
    taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    As someone who has an Ipad and an android phone..i'm thinking i'll stick with apple arcade because its launch lineup has quite literally at least 4x as many quality games as i've been able to find in *years* of searching on android. As much as I hate to praise anything apple I think their strategy of dumping money into good devs for quality games for arcade has really paid off.I look at the list of games in the play pass and there's a few good ones but nowhere near apples' sadly

taliosfalcon on
    steam xbox - adeptpenguin
  • Options
    Apple Arcade intrigues me if only for that Various Daylife game by SquareEnix. I wants to play it.

I hope that exclusivity doesn't last forever. I can't imagine SE would agree to that.

• Options
    Anyone given Rome: Total War a shot on a phone? That sounds ambitious.

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    I signed up for that play store monthly sub to try it out and honestly it shows me that phone games are awful when they are trying to be games. A series of menus seems to work out fine.

I've installed a dozen games so far that range from awful to mildly amusing. Terraria is so cumbersome to play, too... I desperately wanted it to be fun but I spend so much time fumbling around the menus that I can't imagine fighting any of the bosses.

• Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    Mario Kart has released on mobile and it is utterly joyless. Somehow it manages to feel like an idle game rather than a kart racer.

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    Why are so many mobile games like that? Many seem to be focused around keeping your phone open and on for as long as possible, but totally unconcerned with providing you something to do.

I "play" the shit out of MSF, but the only time I make any sort of decision is in the hard of the week (Champion's 3 right now). But it's almost always up on my phone idly fighting blitzes or whatever.

• Options
    There are quite a few great mobile games though. Just off the top of my head.

Downwell
    Photographs
    Monument Valley
    Alto's Odyssey
    The Sorcery! series
    Reigns: Her Majesty
    Solitairica
    Holedown
    Sudoku Sweeper

Like, yeah, the majority are trash, but the majority of console games are trash too. And PC games. Mobile is not unique in that respect.