As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Football/Soccer] Thread about kickin' balls

• Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    eexn9p98nf2j.png

• Options
    evilbobevilbob RADELAIDERegistered User regular
    Tav wrote: »
    Bohs v Sligo in the #GreatestLeagueInTheWorld tonight

That's strange. I can't find either of those teams on the NPL SA table.

l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• Options
    Special KSpecial K Registered User regular
    Solar wrote: »
    They should can the stupid 3rd place game

It's shit, no one cares, just depresses everyone

I care!

England vs Belgium could be a really fun game.

• Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    idk, part of what makes a game fun are the stakes involved. 3rd place has none.

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    spool32 wrote: »

i mean i can watch a friendly if the teams are out there having a good time

but usually it's just kind of bench squad farting around boring

if england decide they need to play for pride or something it could be a good match but i dunno

because a lot of times the players see these meaningless matches as just 90 more minutes where there's a chance to get injured

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Solar wrote: »
    They should can the stupid 3rd place game

It's shit, no one cares, just depresses everyone

So...perfect for Belgium and England.

• Options
    VishNubVishNub Registered User regular
    We can up the stakes by calling it the brexit bowl?

• Options
    TheBlackWindTheBlackWind Registered User regular
    I'm an addict and I'm gonna watch it, so...

At least it might be interesting who is coming down the pipe for these teams.

PAD ID - 328,762,218
  • Options

I don't agree!

If you enjoy the sport, you don't need stakes. I'll watch rugby at pretty much any level, I don't need silverware etc on the line to enjoy it.

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    Special K wrote: »

I don't agree!

If you enjoy the sport, you don't need stakes. I'll watch rugby at pretty much any level, I don't need silverware etc on the line to enjoy it.

for me it's less about silverware and more about how much the squads are interested in playing an entertaining match

• Options
    Chanus wrote: »
    Special K wrote: »

I don't agree!

for me it's less about silverware and more about how much the squads are interested in playing an entertaining match

Absolutely! Hence: could be interesting. Both sides are definitely capable of putting on a show, IMO.

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    Players in previous third place matches have spoken about how much they hate playing in it. It usually shows. It's a pointless, joyless cash grab. Lukaku and Kane will turn up and try to score to get the Golden Boot, but I imagine everyone else will wish they were on the plane home.

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Perhaps we can liven it up? The winner of the game hosts the Super Bowl!

• Options
    Perhaps we can liven it up? The winner of the game hosts the Super Bowl!

Oooh. Winner of the third place DOESN'T get the Ravens for the international games.

PAD ID - 328,762,218
  • Options
    HerrCronHerrCron It that wickedly supports taxation Registered User regular
    Bogart wrote: »
    Such a shame the World Cup is all over and there's no more football until the league starts up again.

haha bogart you’re so funny pretending there’s no football now because your team is out

there’s MLS

League of Ireland is on now too

*sucks air through teeth*

Not fancying the rovers, to be honest.

sig.gif
  • Options
    HerrCron wrote: »
    Such a shame the World Cup is all over and there's no more football until the league starts up again.

haha bogart you’re so funny pretending there’s no football now because your team is out

there’s MLS

One of the lads in work is a massive Sligo fan

Apparently they’ve not won in Dublin in over two years

Which is, uh, not a good record

• Options
    HaphazardHaphazard Registered User regular
    Third place match in 2006 was pretty awesome, but it's probably an anomaly.

• Options
    HerrCronHerrCron It that wickedly supports taxation Registered User regular

there’s MLS

Well, the Rovers are my burden, sadly. Runs in the family.

My aul lad has a season ticket, so we have a bunch of photos of him in the crowd at matches that appear in the local paper.
    He is basically the Rovers disappointed but not angry father in all of them.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Dizzy DDizzy D NetherlandsRegistered User regular
    Haphazard wrote: »

I enjoyed third place match back in 2014, but it probably had things to do with it being at a friend's birthday, a bottle of tequilla and a bucket of icecream. It lifted our spirits a bit after being knocked out in semi-finals on penalty kicks (I can see Brazil not being as happy as it was getting salted after the butchering they received from Germany).

Steam/Origin: davydizzy
  • Options

there’s MLS

Well, the Rovers are my burden, sadly. Runs in the family.

My aul lad has a season ticket, so we have a bunch of photos of him in the crowd at matches that appear in the local paper.
    He is basically the Rovers disappointed but not angry father in all of them.

Haha, my mate is the same. Loads of pics with a look of “well, I guess we kinda have to be here”

• Options
    Bad-BeatBad-Beat Registered User regular
    Because this WC is now over and there's nothing left to play for, it's time to start looking ahead to the next one. The dates of which have now been confirmed:

Still bewildering that this is actually going ahead but here we are!

• Options
    iTunesIsEviliTunesIsEvil Cornfield? Cornfield.Registered User regular
    Heehee, there's gonna be some family in-fighting in the US over which football will be watched on Thanksgiving. :lol:

• Options
    Bad-Beat wrote: »
    Because this WC is now over and there's nothing left to play for, it's time to start looking ahead to the next one. The dates of which have now been confirmed:

Qatar is an excellent host! All the right infrastructure! Perfect weather! Liberal alcohol laws! A worthy selection for Group A!

What's the problem?

• Options
    Heehee, there's gonna be some family in-fighting in the US over which football will be watched on Thanksgiving. :lol:

Looking forward to showing the NFL fans what real irrational levels of patriotism look like.

PAD ID - 328,762,218
  • Options
    HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular

Will this be the first World Cup not held in the summer?

It feels wrong for it to be between thanksgiving and Christmas

3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • Options
    Hakkekage wrote: »

it does feel weird but probably not as wrong as dozens of players collapsing from heat stroke

• Options
    tinwhiskerstinwhiskers Registered User regular
    edited July 2018

You know what I like the move for the precedent it sets for the USCANMEX WC. Lets go all cold rainy night in Stoke on this shit and host it in January. Hope all these Mediterranean and South American teams enjoy playing in the snow.

tinwhiskers on
    6ylyzxlir2dz.png
  • Options
    How does that timeframe interact with the normal club team schedule?

• Options
    tinwhiskerstinwhiskers Registered User regular
    VishNub wrote: »

EPL is mid August to Mid may so right in the middle of it basically.

6ylyzxlir2dz.png
  • Options
    Hakkekage wrote: »

it does feel weird but probably not as wrong as dozens of players collapsing from heat stroke

if only literally any other country was hosting oh well

• Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    I feel like the heat could be mitigated and I don’t mind the time of year change per se.

Very fucked up how many lives have paid for preparing for that wc already. That specific part is NOT GREAT.

PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    i mean i think we can all agree qatar sucks and it's a travesty that they got the bid

• Options

Most leagues are. US and Japan aren't.

• Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    i mean i think we can all agree qatar sucks and it's a travesty that they got the bid

Now that FIFA is completely cleaned up and free from corruption I bet it’ll be better going forward though!

PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    Honk wrote: »

Now that FIFA is completely cleaned up and free from corruption I bet it’ll be better going forward though!

get ready to meet the brand new day!

• Options

Are the players likely to be released?

• Options

Are the players likely to be released?

Most teams don't get in the way because it would look really bad to upset a star player who wants to go. And leagues have international break periods to allow this sort of thing. Usually no longer than two weeks max.

Since we're talking four years from now, it wouldn't be surprising to see these leagues come up with a schedule that has a three week break and no more than one game scheduled during that month. Some may even go for a full month break.

• Options
    PellaeonPellaeon Registered User regular
    Dont know about other regions, but a lot of the larger European leagues already have some sort of winter break in December. English Premier League of course decides to shove even more matches into the holiday period for reasons, because going from 1/week to 3 in 7 days is somehow helpful (?)

There will be lots of bitching, moaning and griping, but it's still the world cup so everyone will make do.

• Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular

I think it's a matter of perspective.

In 1994 you have Sweden putting 4 first half goals past Bulgaria; maybe Bulgaria gave up (the keeper literally so refusing to leave the locker room after halftime and getting subbed), but Sweden still turned up.

In 1998 you have Davor Suker's Croatia playing as far as they could in a back-and-forth 2-1 match against the Netherlands.

2002 you have the overachieving South Korean team trying to set a high water mark in front of the home crowd, but struggling against a Turkey team that was just as determined not to falter at the end of their best ever result.

You mentioned the Germany/Portugal 2006 match and the young thrillers of the German 2010 team versus the Suarez/Forlan Uruguay were mentioned previously.

.. I've just never been convinced that the '3rd place match is a dead rubber' argument isn't just to an extent a self-fulfilling myth, based on the lens you view it through. Maybe it's true for old Football powers who are just jaded about the whole thing, or maybe I just put it through my own rose-tinted lens, but considering the third place match has in recent decades been higher-scoring and often closer than the actual final, I usually enjoy watching them just as much or more, even though they are something little more than an appetiser for the main event.

But hey, maybe it's me that is the anomaly in this. Honestly, I'm okay with being able to enjoy more football.

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    Dizzy D wrote: »

I enjoyed third place match back in 2014, but it probably had things to do with it being at a friend's birthday, a bottle of tequilla and a bucket of icecream. It lifted our spirits a bit after being knocked out in semi-finals on penalty kicks (I can see Brazil not being as happy as it was getting salted after the butchering they received from Germany).

Yeah

3rd place match 2014 was heaping insult on Neymar’s injury

fuck gendered marketing
This discussion has been closed.