As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Football/Soccer] Thread about kickin' balls

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Well, yeah, Lazio Roma.

• Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    That's like saying Everton Liverpool.

• Options
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    like security theater but for healthcare

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Covid Kabuki

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    hard to say Man U deserved that win but all the sports teams i like suck right now so i'll take what i can get

• Options
    HerrCronHerrCron It that wickedly supports taxation Registered User regular
    Chanus wrote: »
    hard to say Man U deserved that win but all the sports teams i like suck right now so i'll take what i can get

Magic penality man does it again.
    But fuckin' jesus struggling that much against WBA? It's not a good look.

sig.gif
  • Options
    David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
  • Options
    absolute legend

• Options
    the king

• Options
    TryCatcherTryCatcher Registered User regular
    For the record: Fuck Maradona. There's a very long list of reasons why, but, for starters, he was an abusive piece of shit that beat his partners. And went to "sexual parties" with underaged girls. And that goal was 100% with the hand.

• Options
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    I guess Dr. Manhatten is appropriate.

• Options
    AbsalonAbsalon Lands of Always WinterRegistered User regular
    edited November 2020
    https://www.theringer.com/2019/10/1/20891805/diego-maradona-hand-of-god-argentina-world-cup

This is an a b s u r d l y good write-up/essay (from last year) about Maradona that you should read even if you have never even seen a football.

Absalon on
  • Options
    jesus christ that head-to-head collision between David Luiz and Raul Jimenez sounded horrifying

i don't think Jimenez has moved in four minutes

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    He’s in hospital, apparently. Haven’t seen it but reports are pretty horrifying.

• Options
    oldmankenoldmanken Registered User regular
    There is no way that Luiz should be allowed to continue... utter madness.

• Options
    Bogart wrote: »
    He’s in hospital, apparently. Haven’t seen it but reports are pretty horrifying.

it was loud

i felt sick watching it

• Options
    they just stated it's reported he has regained consciousness which is good and also it's been about an hour and a half now so

damn

• Options
    edited November 2020
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    Ahahahaha.

EDIT: aw someone removed this very funny tweet.

Bogart on
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    Jimenez is apparently awake now and responding to treatment so that’s good.

Bogart on
  • Options
    Muddy WaterMuddy Water Quiet Batperson Registered User regular
    edited November 2020
    He fractured his skull apparently god damn

And David Luiz was still on the field after that collision. The PL needs to make concussion substitutes a thing and clubs need to stop relying on players' self-assessments to decide whether they should stay on the field or not.

Muddy Water on
  • Options
    Christ. Hope it was, if such a thing exists, a minor skull fracture.

• Options
    i don't have an appropriate reaction button to the post both saying he's okay and also talking about concussion protocol but

David Luiz continuing to play as blood soaked through the bandage on his head was a ridiculously bad decision

• Options
    Dame Rebecca Lowe was none too pleased, i tell you what

• Options
    Looking at a picture of the clash and Luiz looks like he's trying to wrench open Jimenez's mouth while just nutting him full on from the side after a full tilt run up. Jimenez is jumping straight up and Luiz comes at him at speed from the side. From that picture it's at the very least a dangerous challenge.

• Options
    i don't have an appropriate reaction button to the post both saying he's okay and also talking about concussion protocol but

David Luiz continuing to play as blood soaked through the bandage on his head was a ridiculously bad decision

It's all okay! The rules state that players cannot play with bloody uniforms. So, he's good to go at least until a spot lands on his shoulder.

• Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    Christ. Hope it was, if such a thing exists, a minor skull fracture.

My brother suffered a fractured skull in a diving accident at a pool. It didn't require surgery, but when he went to header a ball a month or so after the injury (a big looping half field clearance) it stone cold knocked him out again. For years after the incident, balls didn't header off his skull right. They sounded wrong (you don't even realise headers have a sound until they sound hollow and echoey), and sort of die like they bounced in a muddy puddle instead of firm ground.
    Fortunately he was still a young teenager so his skull kinda worked itself out (mostly).

That's my anecdotal story about the one person I know who was a footballer with a fractured skull.

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    LeperMessiahLeperMessiah Registered User regular
    Looking at a picture of the clash and Luiz looks like he's trying to wrench open Jimenez's mouth while just nutting him full on from the side after a full tilt run up. Jimenez is jumping straight up and Luiz comes at him at speed from the side. From that picture it's at the very least a dangerous challenge.

As an Arsenal fan this was a bad challenge, never been a fan of Luiz at any club.

• Options
    Greg Vanney steps down as Toronto FC coach. Longest tenure, most wins, brought home an MLS Cup and got them to the CONCACAF Champions League final. Sad to see him go. :(

He’s a former Galaxy player, so would not be surprised if he took up their coaching job. They really need a steady hand right now.

• Options
    HerrCronHerrCron It that wickedly supports taxation Registered User regular

I thought this was an exaggeration.
    It really isn't

sig.gif
  • Options
    HerrCron wrote: »

I thought this was an exaggeration.
    It really isn't

i just looked it up and what the fuck was he doing holy shit

• Options
    Muddy WaterMuddy Water Quiet Batperson Registered User regular
    That was an extremely frustrating game to watch as a Man United fan. We've played so, so well in the CL so far and we still might not go through to the next round because of some dumb brain farts. Defending brain farts against Istanbul and game management brain farts against PSG.

• Options
    it feels like it's been a decade since i watched a Man U side that looked like they were all eleven on the same page

• Options
    it feels like it's been a decade since i watched a Man U side that looked like they were all eleven on the same page

7 years but who's counting?

• Options
    Tav wrote: »

7 years but who's counting?

well if you consider this year has been at least 4 years

• Options
    Looks at the score of the Sevilla - Chelsea match.

Looks at my Giroud Arsenal kit.

**sigh**

This discussion has been closed.