Options

Octopath Traveler for Nintendo Switch

Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
edited July 2018 in Social Entropy++
This is downloading right now and I am PUMPED to play it.

Reviews are all pretty solid and it sounds like some really good shit.

"Embark on a vast new role-playing adventure as one of eight travelers, all with their own origins, paths, and goals. The producers of the Bravely series at Square Enix have brought a new world to life through a mix of CG, pixel art, and "HD-2D" visuals. Embark on a vast new role-playing adventure as one of eight travelers, all with their own origins, paths, and goals. Where to begin? Who to team up with? Where to go next? Only you can decide. Each traveler can use a distinct Path Action, a specialized way of achieving objectives and interacting with people you encounter. The warrior can "challenge" people to a duel, whereas the dancer can "allure" others to follow her, even into battle! Enjoy the freedom to choose your own path while experiencing the story through the role you play. Combat revolves around the Boost system, a fusion of traditional turn-based battling and modern enhancements. Each turn, build up BP that can be spent to dramatically increase your strength or provide aid. Identifying when to Boost may just be the key to victory.

* A new RPG adventure from the minds at Square Enix who brought you the Bravely series
* Choose from eight distinct characters, each with their own path, and see where the story takes you
* Music and visuals inspired by RPGs of yore, brought to life with modern touches
Deep, strategic turn-based combat with an innovative battle system "

So yeah, I'm probably not going to get going with this tonight but I know I'm not the only one playing it so let's talk about this shiz as we go along!

Raijin Quickfoot on

• Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    Oh shit that’s out isn’t it

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    rhylith wrote: »
    Oh shit that’s out isn’t it

Yeah! Today!

• Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited July 2018
    i'm about five hours in so far

it's fun, it's sort of... light? the story is very simple and sparse

i don't necessarily mind that though? Iunno i'm enjoying it so far

"sparse" is maybe the wrong word, there's plenty of dialogue, but so far all the prologues feel very cordoned off, I haven't actually gotten any dialogue from my starting character since like the first hour

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Might want to set some rules if this is going to be the [JRPG] thread like no talking about anime. That's what killed my beautiful thread the last time.

• Options
    Madican wrote: »
    Might want to set some rules if this is going to be the [JRPG] thread like no talking about anime. That's what killed my beautiful thread the last time.

Just take it out of the title. I'm sure other JRPG's might be talked about but this is primarily for Octopath Traveler.

• Options
    Fuck... I'm already frozen trying to decide which character to start with.

• Options
    mare_imbriummare_imbrium Registered User regular

Yes, seriously. I really wish you could switch off your main so your first action in the game wasn't such a huge deal. I went back and forth between Primrose, Tressa and Cyrus but eventually chose Primrose.

v2zAToe.jpg
    Wii: 4521 1146 5179 1333 Pearl: 3394 4642 8367 HG: 1849 3913 3132
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular

Hunter baby! The healer character is close by and you get leopard

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    Picking this up Monday

I've had it preordered since the day after it was announced

• Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    i went with the merchant

i like her as the ""main"" character because her plot is just, "i wanna go out and see the world," and of the four people i've picked up so far it makes the most sense to me that she'd be the one picking up traveling companions

• Options
    I went with the the thief.

Guess we'll see how this goes.

• Options
    Mx. QuillMx. Quill I now prefer "Myr. Quill", actually... {They/Them}Registered User regular
    edited July 2018
    I've got everyone but Cyrus and Olberic so far, rolling with all four ladies. Started as H'annit since I like Pokemoning some monsters and JRPGs don't often have archers as the main character.

Also why'd you ever use Purchase when you can save and Steal until you grab it. The only time I couldn't was when I had an actual 0% chance to rob Tressa's parents of their HP and SP healing accessories.

Mx. Quill on
  • Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    I grabbed this myself today, but I probably won't be spending a huge amount of time on it yet as Shining Resonance has my Switch-RPG priority right now. Still, I'm looking forward to it.

When people get further into the game, please let me know wither or not stories actually converge together and if characters actually start interacting with each other. I'm afraid that the game might end up as just eight separate stories when I want them to blend in.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    I was interested in this but the demo was just okay, to me, and hearing the bulk of the game's best parts are the combat systems and the actual story and writing are fairly bland and forgettable made me take a pass

I'll pick it up on sale someday

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Hah. This is great. Tons of people on my friends list on right now and all playing this!

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular
    I grabbed this myself today, but I probably won't be spending a huge amount of time on it yet as Shining Resonance has my Switch-RPG priority right now. Still, I'm looking forward to it.

When people get further into the game, please let me know wither or not stories actually converge together and if characters actually start interacting with each other. I'm afraid that the game might end up as just eight separate stories when I want them to blend in.

@vagrant_winds at least starting in ch2 you get Tales styled Skits during stories.

League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
  • Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    I started with Primrose because gosh dang it, the first demo made me want to follow her story to the end. I'm winding my way to the snow town, and have met Olberic and Tressa so far.

Prim seems OK for meeting allies; she has a goal she'll do anything to pursue, so she'd want to pick up whatever allies she can. I feel like she's probably not too attached to any one ally, but she needs muscle, so she's fine with them joining up for no way.

• Options
    DaebunzDaebunz Registered User regular
    my wayfarer's edition shipped today so I probably wont have the game till next week

I will however have a cool popup book

7yh4xczljsym.png
  • Options
    OK, neat. I'm starting to do sidequests and stuff, and figuring out what actions will resolve the sidequest is neat.

So far, they've boiled down to me buying the right item in town with Tressa, or having Olberic beat the tar out of someone who's causing trouble, but that's still pretty interesting.

• Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular

My only problem with her is that I cannot standeth her ye olde talk. Otherwise she's cool.

• Options
    WhippyWhippy Moderator, Admin Emeritus Admin Emeritus
    Tressa for best girl, Tressa for best starter

• Options
    I wonder how many actions one can get in a turn if you summon people with both Primrose and Ophelia, and then have Tressa call in hired help.That's, what, 7 people in your party?

Oh wait, there's H'aanit's monsters, too. So 8 turns in one turn?

• Options
    SCREECH OF THE FARGSCREECH OF THE FARG #1 PARROTHEAD margaritavilleRegistered User regular
  • Options
    Enlong wrote: »
    I wonder how many actions one can get in a turn if you summon people with both Primrose and Ophelia, and then have Tressa call in hired help.That's, what, 7 people in your party?

the monsters don't summon in, you just use them as if they were moves

• Options
    edited July 2018
    Enlong wrote: »

the monsters don't summon in, you just use them as if they were moves

Ahh.

And TBH, I haven't seen how Tressa's hired help works either. That could also just be a move.

Trying to decide between that and Donate BP (!!!) as her next move. As someone who's played a lot of Bravely Default and Bravely Second, BP manipulation is extremely attractive to me.

Enlong on
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular

My only problem with her is that I cannot standeth her ye olde talk. Otherwise she's cool.

I donth liketh thatith either. . .ith

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular
    Hired help is just a move that costs cash. Donate bp is good onve you have someone setup for big booms.

League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
  • Options
    BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular
    This just came in the post, updating my switch because I haven't touched it in 6 months

• Options
    BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular
    Whippy wrote: »

Big fucking mood

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    Man, why did this and Captain Toad have to come out on the same day?

Gonna have to really debate which to delve into because I'm sure Octopath is gonna be long.

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    Mx. QuillMx. Quill I now prefer "Myr. Quill", actually... {They/Them}Registered User regular
    I like Tressa's motivation being getting paid to see the world.

Donate BP is so good.

• Options
    I need to give Tressa all the speed accessories I can. Her acting first on a break turn with Donate BP is too good.

• Options
    LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    Man, this game kinda rules, huh?

• Options
    XehalusXehalus Registered User regular
    this game has a look

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    I was not feeling the combat but then I got a second party member and immediately started chaining breaks and boosts and was like Okay!

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    I was not feeling the combat but then I got a second party member and immediately started chaining breaks and boosts and was like Okay!

My favorite combo thus far is to have Primrose buff Olberic with the Lion Dance, and then for Olberic to just erase a whole group of enemies with a four-boost Level Slash. Is fun.

• Options
    ...something creepy just hit me about this one sidequest I did in Sunshade. I had Olberic beat the crap out of this creepy guy who was trying to put the moves on this traveling lady. During the duel, the boor's main gimmick was using an item to put Olberic to sleep. It didn't occur to me at the time why he had that gimmick in particular, but eugh.

• Options
    I really like the persona-esque weakness/break system in this.

Still only just starting and I haven’t quite figured out the game’s structure yet but it’s cool.

• Options
    Whippy wrote: »

Started with her because of this post and yeah she’s good.