As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Trailers: A Brief History

• Options
    NobeardNobeard North Carolina: Failed StateRegistered User regular
    What does mumblecore even mean?

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Nobeard wrote: »

It varies by people but I always view it as this: low budget, usually romcom indie films where it's a lot of talking, often aimless improv, and somewhat aimless plots, usually with people aged 20-40 trying to figure out their lives. "Human condition" is bandied about sometimes. Often filled with a character or two having wacky quirks to make it seem relatable to those flyover normies. Usually you have weak camerawork with a lot of shaky cam that hinges on things like out of focus or long shot takes of people walking and scenes accompanied to acoustic songs to highlight the indie feel. Garden State, Tiny Furniture, Cyrus or anything done by the Duplass Brothers, these are mumblecore movies. To me at least.

There's exceptions to the rule for sure, Frances Ha is often highlighted as the best mumblecore style movie, but it always feels like a genre where the people could have gotten an A, but instead settled for a C because it's passing. It's very similar to improv heavy comedies that were just a glut a few years ago. Could you do an Anchorman? Sure. But more than likely you'll do an Anchorman 2.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular

It's a film style that had sort of a brief heyday like 10-15 years back. The defining feature I would say would be "very naturalistic". Very low budget and an emphasis on filming in real places with people talking like real people actually talk instead of like dialogue. Lots of examples include improv. The low budget and style mean they lean towards specific kinds of films for obvious reasons.

But yeah, I would say the big thing that basically unites anything called mumblecore is an attempt at being very naturalistic.

• Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    Naturalistic hipsters with problems

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    Oh! That's actually based on another comic by Chuck Forsman, the same person who did The End of the Fucking World which was great as a comic and a series.

I think it'll be quite good even if it has some elements that vaguely recall other things you didn't like from 20 years ago.

Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
    Baghead

9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    flamebroiledchickenflamebroiledchicken Registered User regular
    I see, I guess I just don't associate retro aesthetic with hipsters anymore, it's fully mainstream now :P

y59kydgzuja4.png
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=epdMiE4oLaE

Well this looks like they tell you the whole movies plot in the trailer.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular

Can I briefly just say that Sypha's use of magic in Castlevania is exactly what I like? When you can control the elements intuitively, the sky ought to be the limit as far as creativity. Freezing the ground smooth and solid, and using flames as propulsion? Just... incredible.

• Options
    NobeardNobeard North Carolina: Failed StateRegistered User regular
    Delzhand wrote: »

Can I briefly just say that Sypha's use of magic in Castlevania is exactly what I like? When you can control the elements intuitively, the sky ought to be the limit as far as creativity. Freezing the ground smooth and solid, and using flames as propulsion? Just... incredible.

Kinda makes you wonder how she got caught by that monster in the first season.

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Delzhand wrote: »

Kinda makes you wonder how she got caught by that monster in the first season.

"Hey lady, do you have a light?"

STONEGAZE.

"Works every time."

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QlFRoUMkUDw

Crunchyroll is getting in on the originals thing. Don't really like this push even though God of High School looks good, like it has an animation budget, because I thought the whole thing was I give them money to crunchyroll to license the animoo over here to pay the creators over there. It reminds me of Cartoon Network doing live action stuff instead of being a network for cartoons.

edit: and Babymetal bleh, Bandmaid yeh!

TexiKen on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    I thought that looked like FreakAngels

• Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    Tower of God? Ooooo, that's a good one! Especially the first half

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    band maid kinda destroy which is unacceptable for an obvious commercial construction

and yet they do

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    band maid kinda destroy which is unacceptable for an obvious commercial construction

and yet they do

Real talent shines through and will win out. Kanami and Akane would rip wearing potato sacks and no make-up.

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    vamenvamen Registered User regular
    I'm late to the party, but that The Green Knight trailer looks fantastic.
    And I will absolutely never fail to be creeped out by the lady playing the queen.

• Options
    DocshiftyDocshifty Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    Everytime a company goes "Look we're making an Aurther movie!" All I think is just make a Brettonia movie. It'll be infinitely better.

Docshifty on
  • Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    Docshifty wrote: »
    Everytime a company goes "Look we're making an Aurther movie!" All I think is just make a Brettonia movie. It'll be infinitely better.

I keep thinking of Infected Mushroom's 'Disco Mushrooms' track.

DanHibiki on
  • Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    I love Infected Mushroom.

• Options
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ODFQl2M9i8w

Well this looks scary as fuck.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    So Nightmare on Elm Street 2?

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    I suppose whether Tony Todd is in it is a spoiler.

• Options
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    I suppose whether Tony Todd is in it is a spoiler.

I swear I remember hearing about a potential cameo.

I thought he was in it, but maybe they don't want to put that in the first trailer.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    The original Candyman is so fucking great. I have to temper my expectations for this one.

• Options
    NosfNosf Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    I don't remember the first Candyman that well, and I watched all of those flicks back then. I do remember it was based on a Clive Barker story tho, and that Todd make like, 25k or something - 1000 bucks per bee sting. The only striking scene was the kids in front of the mirror, that reminded me of some asian horror flick for some reason.

Had to go back and read the wiki entry to remember it, I'm skimming through and get to 'fathering a child with a white woman...' and literally blurted out, "Uh oh."

Nosf on
  • Options
    BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    Nosf wrote: »
    Had to go back and read the wiki entry to remember it, I'm skimming through and get to 'fathering a child with a white woman...' and literally blurted out, "Uh oh."

I mean... it's a horror movie about race and class. It's part of what attracted Jordan Peele to the property.

BloodySloth on
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    I watched Candyman a few weeks back and it still holds up. If you are trying to remember it, just go watch it. It's great.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    I don't remember the first Candyman that well, and I watched all of those flicks back then. I do remember it was based on a Clive Barker story tho, and that Todd make like, 25k or something - 1000 bucks per bee sting. The only striking scene was the kids in front of the mirror, that reminded me of some asian horror flick for some reason.

I believe the 1000 per sting was as a bonus.

• Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    Fencingsax wrote: »

I believe the 1000 per sting was as a bonus.

Yeah, actual budget on it was a shade under 10 million, IIRC, so no one was making scale or small per diem stuff.

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    Yea, the $ per sting was over and above negotiated for the hassle of being stung which was sure to happen. The wiki entry actually mentioned the deal.

• Options
    Loren MichaelLoren Michael Registered User regular
    I'm still holding out hope for a Holes/Candyman crossover

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holes_(novel)#Kissin'_Kate

a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • Options
    ChiselphaneChiselphane Registered User regular
    I like to look in the mirror and say Candyman four times, then just walk away. You can almost hear him cursing in frustration sometimes

• Options
    edited February 2020
    Do Candyman and Bloody Mary have a friendly competition, or is it more a tsundere thing?

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    ChiselphaneChiselphane Registered User regular
    I wonder how mad he'd get if I just said a literal "Candyman five times"

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    I wonder how mad he'd get if I just said a literal "Candyman five times"

... based on history, I'm going with "murder you and your whole family."

• Options
    Havelock2.0Havelock2.0 Sufficiently Chill The Chill ZoneRegistered User regular
    Candyman looks awesome. The moment they play part of the original score gave me chills.

I'd love for Hellraiser to get a reboot and have A24 handle it

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    Candyman....Candyman! CANDYMAN! CANDYMAN!....CRUMPETMAN!!!!

*faintly in the distance*fucking bollocks!

Nosf on
  • Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    What if I say candyman twice and then Beetlejuice twice and then repeat the process?

DanHibiki on
  • Options
    Do you think Tony Todd's wife mutters it 5 times under her breath when they get separated in a grocery store?

This discussion has been closed.