As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Everybody get up, it's time to Ham now [Overwatch]

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Oh shit colorblind improvements nice.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    Aw, I liked Torb's armor kit & salvage mechanics.
    Coinage wrote: »
    I doubt Pharah's changes are related to the Torb rework. It'd be kind of weird for them to make changes to one character based on simultaneous untested changes to another character. More likely they'd wait to implement Torbjorn into live, make adjustments as necessary, and then make changes to other characters based on that.

I'm still having trouble imagining what kind of changes they could be making to Pharah. If it was just small number tweaks I dunno why they'd mention it ahead of time, but I guess we'll see.
    It's not just buffed Torb turret (they've said that one of the changes is probably deploying a level 2 turret without having to hit it), the falloff buffs to McCree and Soldier and the nerf to Mercy's healing have made playing Pharah a lot more painful.

Yeah those make more sense for giving her some tweaks. Although a Pharmercy is still super strong, but her survivability without a dedicated Mercy is pretty rough right now. I'm not really sure what they might do to address that, though. They're not gonna make her hitbox smaller, they're not gonna give her more HP. She definitely doesn't need to do more damage. I guess they could just lower her cooldowns for better movement/escapes but I dunno how big an impact that will actually have on her success/pick rate (as someone who plays her a lot though, bring on the buffs).

Maybe they could give her a small amount of armor (in trade for some of her health)? She is wearing a full body suit of it after all. That'd give her a little more breathing room to get shots off and try to scoot back into cover.

If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    Auto lvl 2 turrets, but down to 250 hps. That's not actually a horrible trade for pharah.

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    AshcroftAshcroft LOL The PayloadRegistered User regular
    Well, at least we know in advance that Halloween is just going to be the same event in advance. Can't be disappointed when there's nothing to be excited about.

I dunno, I feel like Blizzard make a ton of money off this game, and could afford to hire more people if they really wanted to make these events feel fresh, but they just, don't. They did all that work in year 1, and now it's just a holding pattern apart from Archives.

ZD98Zka.png
  • Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Anyone got a breakdown of the torb changes since I can't watch that video atm? ( way too long to watch on break)

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    Anyone got a breakdown of the torb changes since I can't watch that video atm? ( way too long to watch on break)

Scrap and armor is gone; Turret is only ever level 2, and you can toss it a short distance; a toned down Molten Core is now his E; his new ult (still called Molten Core because they wanted to keep the voice line) lets him fire a stream out of his left hand that leaves a high-damage puddle. Unspecified changes to his gun that'll be detailed in the patch notes.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options

Scrap and armor is gone; Turret is only ever level 2, and you can toss it a short distance; a toned down Molten Core is now his E; his new ult (still called Molten Core because they wanted to keep the voice line) lets him fire a stream out of his left hand that leaves a high-damage puddle. Unspecified changes to his gun that'll be detailed in the patch notes.

Can you toss the new turret thru a symm portal? or does it have to be placed and active before it'll port?

• Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    here's the full rework details, including short video clips showing his abilities

uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2018
    (Crossposting)

PTR patch notes (only the major gameplay ones, minus Torb)!
    Brigitte
    - Barrier Shield
    Shield health reduced from 600 to 500

McCree
    - Combat Roll
    Cooldown reduced from 8 to 6 seconds

Pharah
    - Concussive Blast
    Cooldown reduced from 12 to 9 seconds
    - Rocket Launcher
    Attack speed increased
    Lowered recovery between shots from 0.9 to 0.75
    Damage redistributed between explosion and impact
    Explosion damage reduced from 80 to 65
    Impact damage increased from 40 to 55
    Explosion knockback reduced by 20%
    Self-knockback range increased by 25%

Orisa
    - Fusion Driver
    Maximum spread reduced from 1.5 to 1.2

Soldier: 76
    - Heavy Pulse Rifle
    Number of shots until max spread increased from 6 to 9

Thoughts:

Brigitte change is exactly the nerf I expected/hoped for. McCree change isn't a bombshell but a nice quality-of-life change. Pharah changes are...interesting. Definitely like the reduced cooldown and increased boop of her concussive blast - that's going to make her a lot more mobile and thus survivable. Faster fire speed is nice, emphasis on direct shots over splash means she's more powerful at high levels, less powerful at low levels. Probably a good change, but I guess I'll have to learn how to hit direct rockets now. Orisa change doesn't seem like a huge buff, but will probably feel nice for Orisa mains. Soldier change is likely there to make sure he can still be a viable Pharah counter even with her new changes. Overall, good changes all around! Most of these will almost definitely make it to live, although Pharah has enough changes that those might see some tweaks.

Houk the Namebringer on
  • Options
    TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    it actually sucks thast torb can't make armor anymore

partly because I liked feeling like I was kind of a support, and partly because it removes the biggest thematic connection between torb and brigitte

• Options
    it actually sucks thast torb can't make armor anymore

partly because I liked feeling like I was kind of a support, and partly because it removes the biggest thematic connection between torb and brigitte

Ya I kinda missed the old symm for same reason because of torb, there was a team combo that could just increase the hp pool of whole team dramatically.

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    Piss is stored in the hand

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    SirToastySirToasty Registered User regular
    Yo gimme those Orisa and Soldier buffs. I don't even care about the rest. I need those.

• Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    Piss is stored in the hand

this isn't jarate

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    You know what is irrationally bothering me about the Developer Update? It's not in 4k. I want all my Jeff From The Overwatch Team details, damnit.

• Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited September 2018
    @I needed a gnome to post. If you're piss is opaque, thicker than maple syrup, and glowing yellow-orange, see a doctor.

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    Any of those, really.

• Options
    The soldier change is bigger than it sounds like. Perfect accuracy for 9 shots before spread starts makes it much easier to quick burst down a lot of squishies, it's a meaningful boost to his lethality.

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    EinzelEinzel Registered User regular
    I hope I still enjoy Torb after this. His armor was fun as it felt like I was helping (specifically healers) and worked as a dueling self-heal. Dropping L2 turrets will help with dueling though.

• Options
    Kana wrote: »
    The soldier change is bigger than it sounds like. Perfect accuracy for 9 shots before spread starts makes it much easier to quick burst down a lot of squishies, it's a meaningful boost to his lethality.

It says number of shots until MAX spread. So is that stretching out the rate at which it spreads? Or is it confirmed, more shots before the spread starts? Either way, it's good, but one is way better than the other.

• Options
    I love playing Winston, so good riddance to armour packs.

• Options
    SirToasty wrote: »

It says number of shots until MAX spread. So is that stretching out the rate at which it spreads? Or is it confirmed, more shots before the spread starts? Either way, it's good, but one is way better than the other.

Ok I checked it out in PTR. Looks like he gets 4 shots before spread starts (I think it was 3 before); however, the 5th one is very small increase. It's almost perfect. On the practice range, from as far away as I could get from a practice bot, I could put 6-7 headshots in before a miss or body shot. This seems like a really good buff.

• Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    Which is good, because outside of pocket strats, Soldier has been kind of weak (relatively) for a while now. If these new changes do see an uptick in Torb and Pharah use, a stronger Soldier will definitely be a good counter choice.

• Options
    edited September 2018
    I love playing Winston, so good riddance to armour packs.

While I did find doling out armor fun, it's probably for the best to do away with it for the entrenchment aspect. The fact that a character isn't at their best until after the first fight--even beyond ult charge--and actively punished attacking teams for failing to push onto the point is kinda wonky design. Plus just on demand giving Zarya and Zen armor with its interaction with shields throws those heroes' matchup balances way askew.

Brigitte still provides that problem, but at least it's kinda sorta tied to a notable cooldown?

The Escape Goat on
    9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    oh cool, they changed Mei's Blizzard visual on PTR so you can actually tell what it affects

https://www.reddit.com/r/Overwatch/comments/9hunrk/new_mei_ult_visuals_on_ptr/

• Options
    BaidolBaidol I will hold him off Escape while you canRegistered User regular
    Oh shit

Steam Overwatch: Baidol#1957
  • Options
    oh cool, they changed Mei's Blizzard visual on PTR so you can actually tell what it affects

https://www.reddit.com/r/Overwatch/comments/9hunrk/new_mei_ult_visuals_on_ptr/

I wish they'd do that for Death Blossom. I've died too many times to that because I thought I was out of range.

• Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    I'll miss the satisfying armour pickup sound, that's for sure.

• Options
    TonkkaTonkka Some one in the club tonight Has stolen my ideas.Registered User regular
    Maybe I'll start playing again.

Steam: evilumpire Battle.net: T0NKKA#1588 PS4: T_0_N_N_K_A Twitter Art blog/Portfolio! Twitch?! HEY SATAN Shirts and such
  • Options
    From playing for like, all of 30 minutes on PTR, my definitely definitive and 100% accurate take on NuTorb:

He feels pretty good! Specifically the flow of his gameplay feels much, much better. You get to move around and participate in team fights and just generally feel active in a way that you never really got to before. The "molten core as E" thing introduces a fun little dynamic into dueling as Torb, it makes him much more deadly and tougher, but it's only for 5 seconds so if you get baited out too early your enemy can just dodge you for a few seconds and then finish you off. Getting the left and right clicks on the same cooldowns makes a minor but really noticeable difference too, it just feels better to shoot at stuff. You can engage in a fight, chuck down a turret, then as the fight moves smoothly self-destruct the turret and reposition not long afterwards, and suddenly being able to drop a turret adds in another factor to Torb's interesting duelist game. Like most other DPS will smash you pretty quick if its just guns, but Torb's abilities can suddenly turn the tables and put the opponent into a bad spot.

More generally, Torb feels strong against tanks - esp off tanks - but weaker against other DPS, esp without his turret. He's still got a huuuge head hitbox, a fact that more than counterbalances his ability to suddenly give himself 150 armor.

I need more time to get a feel for Torb's new molten core, but it does feel like very much a "fuck goats" gun. Since I didn't play against any tank-heavy comps though, it didn't really do much other than deny space for a while.

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    What was it about the summer event?

• Options
    TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
  • Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
  • Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    Escape Goats need love too

• Options
    EinzelEinzel Registered User regular
    I'll miss the satisfying armour pickup sound, that's for sure.

Armor here!

• Options
    I am still immortal as Ana

https://youtu.be/kBvfsYKZNiQ

With a bonus clipshow

https://youtu.be/e5NSzgs1bj4

• Options
    d'aww

kolorblind is a top 500 / #1 Bastion main who is, well, colorblind. She was streaming when the PTR colorblind patch went up:

https://clips.twitch.tv/PowerfulHardStinkbugRiPepperonis
    https://clips.twitch.tv/RichNeighborlyDurianBlargNaut

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular

I hate this :(

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    i had the greatest hook game of my life tonight and all it cost was hooking a nano rein directly into my team

81% accuracy (88% at one point), 25 hooks landed

i then followed up this ultimate god tier performance by doing absolutely nothing on Route 66 but winning anyway

• Options
    I don't know how many legs this immortal Ana joke has, but I'm still enjoying it.

https://youtu.be/CELMIaKu4dU