As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Spider-Man] Speeder and Miles Webs Prower 10/20/23

• Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    Ok so...I was feeling like I was going crazy when I loaded the game up tonight to play it and it felt wrong.

The controls just feel soft and inconsistent.

I knew that something would change between the original(s) and this, but I couldn't tell if it was just in my head or not.

Because I've been playing Miles Morales this week, and after playing 2 a bit, I loaded up Miles Morales again to show my daughter the cat backpack outfit, and yeah.

2 has dramatically worse traversal controls than the original.

swinging is far less consistent, where way way way too frequently just no web comes out and you just flop on the ground. Grappling to a launch point is dramatically less consistent, is more likely than not to not carry through momentum, and lacks a fast launch (there is a launch, but it's the base launch, and none of the skills in the game give you the fast launch, but it wouldn't matter anyway because of how frequently it just kills your momentum anyway). The fluidity of transitioning to different types of traversal (for example, swinging into a building and going into the vertical run mode) is far more clunky and again very likely to kill your momentum. And with swinging, there's just a general lag to it, it doesn't respond as quickly, reliably, or logically as the first two games. If it were just a matter of a different timing to thwipping around from the previous game, ok, but it's a combination of the inconsistency to when you even get a web to come out (sometimes you swing in areas where there's no clear thing to swing from, sometimes you're between buildings and the game decides there's nothing to swing from) the weird delay to all movement controls (they're fine in combat, so it feels deliberate in traversal) that leaves me just hitting the ground and not able to get in any reliable rhythm, and the times I do, I usually get caught up on some geometry that in the prior games, would have just become part of the movement and kept the flow by running up a wall, or parkouring over an object, or allowing you to web pull to a higher location.

Yes, there's the gliding and associated abilities, and clearly that's how they intend the player to do large amounts of long distance movement.

However, I don't want to fly, I want to swing. I want to play Spider-Man, not Superman. I don't understand why they had to dick up the absolutely perfect controls and fluidity of movement in the prior two games. They could have left it all the same, and just added the other stuff.

I'm genuinely baffled, not only because I don't understand the change, but because I don't really see anyone mentioning it in reviews or anything.

But it is demonstrably different, and it just takes a minute of playing one of the prior ones after 2, to feel how dramatically worse it feels in play. I fiddled with as many different settings that seemed like it might have bearing on the controls, but none seemed to make any difference.

Moving through the world just feels worse and that sucks.

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Have you tried turning down the swing assist? Maybe that's hampering things somehow(despite them saying maxed is the same it was in the past games).

Everything I've seen has suggested quite the opposite experience of what you are having. Play around with them settings!

• Options
    McRhynoMcRhyno Registered User regular
    Might not help the overall experience but I think the fast point launch is in suit tech upgrades

PSN: ImRyanBurgundy
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Yea im actually going through some threads of others playing and I just keep seeing people say they are amazed that the traversal is improved so much given it was so good before. People saying it's legit the biggest surprise of the game.

Definitely some kinda disconnect going on because it doesn't seem to be some downgrade everyone is feeling.

• Options
    McRhynoMcRhyno Registered User regular
    edited October 2023
    I do wish they give a little more detail about how swing assist works. I can tell it shortens your arc so that you don't hit the ground when swinging and let's you move straight forward despite connecting to buildings on your left/right, but I imagine there has to be more to it.

Further testing: at 0 you can hit the ground at the bottom of the swing (you just walk with fall damage off). Even at 1, it adjusts slightly to keep you swinging.

McRhyno on
    PSN: ImRyanBurgundy
  • Options
    Alright I think I'm definitely gonna *not* install the preorder bonuses.

The Peter suit it comes with seems likely to be my fav of all his suits(just looked through them all). So I don't wanna just start yhe game with that. I'll wait til I warn it normally so I can bounce through a few others on the way.

And seeing there are alternate colors now? That's awesome.

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    McRhyno wrote: »
    I do wish they give a little more detail about how swing assist works. I can tell it shortens your arc so that you don't hit the ground when swinging and let's you move straight forward despite connecting to buildings on your left/right, but I imagine there has to be more to it.

Further testing: at 0 you can hit the ground at the bottom of the swing (you just walk with fall damage off). Even at 1, it adjusts slightly to keep you swinging.

Yeah, I'm gonna turn it up to at least 1 or 2, 0 seems too manual without additional controls in the game (like being up to shorten the line on command) and it's really killing the flow.

• Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    My Spider-Man 2 is stuck in Georgia...boo! :(

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    My Amazon order got delayed. :(

XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • Options
    ChanceChance Registered User regular
    Spider-Man and Miles Morales went to school. They double-majored in God of War 1-3 and Ridiculous Graphics, with a minor in Arkham Studies.

Spider-Man 2 is what graduated. *chefkiss*

'Chance, you are the best kind of whore.' -Henroid
  • Options
    President EvilPresident Evil Let's Rock Registered User regular
    HOLY SHIT THAT MORTGAGE

• Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited October 2023
    The writing in this game is so insane. Just the classiest shit

Also once again I’ve never seen a 30fps mode that’s so freaking smooth. You only really notice anything if you turn the camera and even then it’s smoother than some 60fps games

I love that all of the interior and story sections are like just absolute visual flexes, just styling on the entire industry

I think I’m about halfway through, I love all the team ups, but it’s your basic spiderman game, ie phenomenal

New York in this game is like video games first wonder of the world. It’s insane

Visually the open world looks slightly better than the previous games but what they’ve clearly focussed on is streaming in detail and objects at all distances and speeds. A lot of sequences are there just to show off that they can zoom across the entire city in seconds without any noticeable popin or visual distractions. Just cars and pedestrians off into the distance even when you’ve been punched across the entire city in seconds

I also love the little touches they’ve improved with combat animation that are quite subtle, like bouncing off walls or tapping onto a surface on the way to connecting with another enemy

Prohass on
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Digital Foundry said there was a in-between 40FPS target mode but I didn't see it. Was that limited to VRR or something?

Also incredible opening to the game. They keep escalating and I have no idea how they'd top this.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    Sterica wrote: »
    Digital Foundry said there was a in-between 40FPS target mode but I didn't see it. Was that limited to VRR or something?

Also incredible opening to the game. They keep escalating and I have no idea how they'd top this.

They went to God of War school.

Yep, VRR for 40fps. I've had one issue of massive frame drops (down to like 4fps) during a
    Sandman crystal
    fight, and it bugged out on me once ringing Miles' cell constantly despite being in a conversation. The ringing just continued on through the next mission - had to restart.

Visually, it's bonkers. And I love all the new combat stuff - your air combos can get pretty nuts. So far I haven't put a single skill point into Miles or Peter's individual trees, though. It's all "disarm enemies and whip their guns back at them? Yes please."

• Options
    Oh another complaint - it is taking me far too long to unlock suits from
    Spider-Verse.
    I mean, I'll keep playing 'till I get 'em, obviously.

...I just want 'em now.

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Miles or Peter showing up in random fights when you're playing as the other Spider-Man is so great. It's one thing to play as Spider-Man, it's a whole different thing to see Spider-Man zip in, kick ass, and leave with an extremely awkward hug.

Also, Peter has a severe problem with texting addiction. Just... don't answer texts right away, dude. That's gonna solve like 90% of your time problems right there because you won't just put off answering a text for twenty minutes.

• Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    Oh man the mission in spoilers is just Insomniac flexing on everyone else.
    Black Cat, chasing her through portals then a full fight where she's jumping in and out of portals.

Just a fucking cool set piece.

• Options
    edited October 2023
    The main missions and like any interior missions are just visual flexes. Just the audacity of some of them in terms of artistic, technical and production quality

Also one thing they kept and massively scaled up from the first games is after doing main missions the area afterwards will reflect it. Ie any buildings that were destroyed, on fire, anything rhat crashed, will now have emergency services all around fighting the fires, rescuing people, etc

It was in the first game but here it’s nuts. It really helps to reduce that sensation you get with open world games where main campaign missions happen in an “instance” that feels seperate. It’s that kind of connective tissue immersion that sometimes requires painstaking development to pull off. Basically it never feels like anything that happens in a main mission wasn’t part of the game world.

Seeing the after effects of some catastrophic event, or even a smaller one, just helps to tie everything together in a way I really appreciate and can only really be done with games that have the budget and scope of something like this, cos that’s all handcrafted work

Also once again the draw distance is insane. I’ve never seen a game with such insane detail at all ranges, up close or far into the horizon

Prohass on
  • Options
    Chance wrote: »
    Oh another complaint - it is taking me far too long to unlock suits from
    Spider-Verse.
    I mean, I'll keep playing 'till I get 'em, obviously.

...I just want 'em now.

Omfg the
    Noire
    suit oh God yes.

• Options
    The city is just so stunning. I’m totally okay with them doing another Miles Morales style game at some point cos the city feels too insane to just use in one game.

• Options
    So I deeeefinitely launched a guy off a ledge and directly into a huge vat of molten iron. He is just really fucking dead. Burnt up like a mosquito in a jet engine. I killed him so hard there isn't even DNA left to link Spider-Man to the murder.

Unlike the lady hunter I webbed up and spin-spiked directly at the pavement from ten stories up. She is also extremely dead, but there is evidence everywhere. And I did that one on purpose. Kicked her off the building, webbed her up, webline-pulled myself to her, then swung her overhead and straight downward.

• Options
    Holy butts this game is amazing.

Just taking everything about an already incredible game and making it better.

They really knocked this one out of the park.

The traversal? My gods it feels so good.

And even though I'm early the new combat stuff is already feeling so great.

Im so impressed.

• Options
    It’s only murder if it’s from the murder region of France

Man sometimes you only realise how insane some of the shit that’s going down is during fights when the game slow motions for finishers

Was in a fight with rain and lightning and electricity and smoke and debris and only really comprehended how insane what I was seeing was when it went into slow mo for a finisher

• Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    edited October 2023
    Kyougu wrote: »
    Black Cat, chasing her through portals then a full fight where she's jumping in and out of portals.

The Maguffin disappearing and:
    leaving behind a note from Wong
    was just icing on the cake.

I just wish that there was a custom team up finisher for that section.

Hahnsoo1 on
    8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    Miles or Peter showing up in random fights when you're playing as the other Spider-Man is so great. It's one thing to play as Spider-Man, it's a whole different thing to see Spider-Man zip in, kick ass, and leave with an extremely awkward hug.

Also, Peter has a severe problem with texting addiction. Just... don't answer texts right away, dude. That's gonna solve like 90% of your time problems right there because you won't just put off answering a text for twenty minutes.

The best part:
    sqp5razdznxo.jpeg
    The pointing meme!

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »

You mean with
    black cat? Cos I definitely saw team up finishers with her, she would jump through portals in them I think. Im pretty sure there were team up finishers with her for that fight

• Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    edited October 2023
    I am getting so many laughs out of the upgrade that lets you swing enemies left and right with your webs. "Hey, why don't you and that wall kiss?" "Hey, you need to cool off. Into the lake you go." "We're on a rooftop. How did you think this was going to go?"

Johnny Chopsocky on
    ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    Prohass wrote: »
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »

You mean with
    black cat? Cos I definitely saw team up finishers with her, she would jump through portals in them I think. Im pretty sure there were team up finishers with her for that fight

I saw none. :/ And I was deliberately doing finishers as much as possible. Boo.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    I wanna' call out - I'm a little sad that this game is more Peter's than Miles'. That said...

I love how quippy and funny Peter is in 2. It feels like a conscious effort was made to give him a lot more wit, this time around.
    "This is the most obvious trap I've ever seen! And I fought Trapster."

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    Chance wrote: »
    I wanna' call out - I'm a little sad that this game is more Peter's than Miles'. That said...

I love how quippy and funny Peter is in 2. It feels like a conscious effort was made to give him a lot more wit, this time around.
    "This is the most obvious trap I've ever seen! And I fought Trapster."

I still remember the best quip I heard from the first game.
    Help! Sable agents! I'm being attacked by Sable ooohhh wait a minute!"

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    I love Miles as a character but i like being a more grown up Spider-Man so I prefer Peter as the main character. That said having the swapping is super fun and I'm glad it's here!

Also the progression in this is SO MUCH better than the first game. That was one of my biggest negatives of the first game so seeing them improve it so much has got me so happy.

• Options
    I love Miles as a character but i like being a more grown up Spider-Man so I prefer Peter as the main character. That said having the swapping is super fun and I'm glad it's here!

Also the progression in this is SO MUCH better than the first game. That was one of my biggest negatives of the first game so seeing them improve it so much has got me so happy.

The speed of the hero swap and fast travel is bonkers. And stylish.

• Options
    Oh gosh. Already getting me teary eyed (side mission name)
    find grandpa. That was hard for me.

• Options
    Oh gosh. Already getting me teary eyed (side mission name)
    find grandpa. That was hard for me.
    Yeah, I really enjoyed that moment, too. Sometimes, being a hero
    is just being there for someone and listening instead of stopping a runaway train.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    I will never stop trying to fist bump
    Wraith. Speaking of which I feel like her costume is a little too similar to prowler. I know it’s probably a comics thing but I feel like they could’ve gone with plainer blacks. Also they need to explain her weapon cos that is some elaborate shit for a former cop

• Options
    edited October 2023
    I am getting so many laughs out of the upgrade that lets you swing enemies left and right with your webs. "Hey, why don't you and that wall kiss?" "Hey, you need to cool off. Into the lake you go." "We're on a rooftop. How did you think this was going to go?"

I love when they hit streetlights, the plonk and all the sparks and chaos is so slapstick

Also details like if you pull sandmen onto air vents they blow away into clouds of sand

Prohass on
  • Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    Well, after fully upgrading movement and all of that, the game feels better, but is still feels worse than the previous games. Not as dramatically as it did at the start, but I still am not a fan of the tradeoff of the gliding for the perfectly responsive and reliable traversal of the originals.

Besides that though, the game is great. I dunno how far I am in (ticker says about 50%, but I've also done all the side stuff as it opens up), but no story complaints so far.

In fact, the side stories have been, generally, better than the main story as far as the feels go. Just knocking it out of the park at every turn. Frequently sad, yes, but also sweet! Probably the best side quests in a game that I can recall in a really long time.

The collection stuff feels, broadly, more meaningful to the story, and less "hey collect this thing because it exists". To be fair, the original(s) were pretty good about this too with most things having some story stuff with it. So far, here at least, they've all actually expanded the story and not just provided backstory (though they do that too). Dunno if that carries through to all of the stuff, and I am going to have to look up later what the hell was going on in the resolution of the spider bot collection (I'm sure for some people it was cool, it just meant basically nothing to me).

Though the Harlem Mysterium can go fuck itself right in its god damned throat.

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    Extremely early spoiler, something that utterly tanked my immersion in the game (no, not really):
    Can somebody explain why the suit stays sandy if you dunk yourself into the river to wash off? 0/10 game right there.

Is battle damage on the suit related to your actual HP? I did the mission to get a fresh suit, and it was all ripped up, but I was also at like 25%. It reminded me of the battle damaged suit from the first game and really confused me for a sec. Especially when it completely repaired itself 5 minutes later.

Also... the graphics and the character models aren't exactly bothering me or anything. But the scene with Peter and MJ, I feel like I'm watching a sequel where they completely recast the actors. Which is doubly weird because they have the same exact voices. I dunno, it's just weird and I can get over it.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Extremely early spoiler, something that utterly tanked my immersion in the game (no, not really):
    Can somebody explain why the suit stays sandy if you dunk yourself into the river to wash off? 0/10 game right there.

Is battle damage on the suit related to your actual HP? I did the mission to get a fresh suit, and it was all ripped up, but I was also at like 25%. It reminded me of the battle damaged suit from the first game and really confused me for a sec. Especially when it completely repaired itself 5 minutes later.

Also... the graphics and the character models aren't exactly bothering me or anything. But the scene with Peter and MJ, I feel like I'm watching a sequel where they completely recast the actors. Which is doubly weird because they have the same exact voices. I dunno, it's just weird and I can get over it.

Didn't they change Peter's model?

• Options
    Fencingsax wrote: »

Didn't they change Peter's model?

Yeah, but "technically" it's the same model from SM Remastered and MM. Can't say I'll ever fully like it, but I'm over it. But even MJ looks completely different. The oddly realistic headshots they're using on phone calls also isn't helping.