As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Spider-Man] Speeder and Miles Webs Prower 10/20/23

• Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    Your suit I suppose gets re-sanded since there’s sand still in the air. I dunno there’s a million details in this game so I’m not going to be bothered by the times when they miss a detail. MJ looks exactly the same to me

One thing that bothers me is the high speed chases. What’s the point of those? Like I’m glad we don’t have to do the exact same thing again, but they’re essentially just a truncated version of the first games, trivially easy, with the same basic animations. Like what’s the point? I just avoid them now

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    More "Oh is that you?" hijinks from an early mission:
    "They're transporting somebody else along with Scorpion."
    *wheels him out*
    Me: ...Shang Tsung?
    ...Ooh, Li, ok.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    Prohass wrote: »
    Your suit I suppose gets re-sanded since there’s sand still in the air. I dunno there’s a million details in this game so I’m not going to be bothered by the times when they miss a detail. MJ looks exactly the same to me

One thing that bothers me is the high speed chases. What’s the point of those? Like I’m glad we don’t have to do the exact same thing again, but they’re essentially just a truncated version of the first games, trivially easy, with the same basic animations. Like what’s the point? I just avoid them now

Free tech parts and XP I guess?

I know why they have the random crimes in the game, as that's just part of the Spider-Man thing; but from a gameplay perspective they feel pretty ignorable in this game.

Which, to be clear, I'm fine with. I much prefer the option of doing them if you want, but there's no real requirement to do so. Though, I think there's a few districts that you probably can't 100% without doing some; but I don't know that for sure.

What confuses me is that as far as I can tell I don't think I've ever gotten anything but XP and tech parts, but in the menus for upgrades for Hero Tokens, it says crimes are one of the places you can get them. I don't think that's correct though? Or it's rare enough that it might as well not be.

Unrelated, hoo boy this game has some bugs. I very frequently just get stopped in mid air when swinging, or am trying to land on a building to grab a chest and there's invisible walls that I try to climb up and around. It's like the game is loading the barriers for a different area I'm actually in.

Also, along with getting the white cube bug for Peter, I also got
    the foundry mission with Tombstone have him replaced with a white cube
    which made that a little less interesting that it might have otherwise been.

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    ChanceChance Registered User regular
    This is a spoiler for what seems to be about the halfway mark. If you've gone through the mission with the tuxedo, you've seen it.
    Peter spindling down from the ceiling of a beautiful study to assure himself that a colossal tiger has been successfully knocked out, and giving a chef's kiss.

This game is fucking awesome.

'Chance, you are the best kind of whore.' -Henroid
  • Options
    Oh and on the subject of MJ.
    With just a few little changes, predictable AI and level design, they just fixed it and made it really smooth - to me.

The first thing it shows you is MJ can walk right up to an enemy's face, and if they don't have time to shoot her, she will do a takedown on them. She can hide around corners and slip in front of a guard and take him out before they can do anything.

There's no instant fail if she's detected, you have to screw up 3 times to really fail. It's miles better than the first game.

Also, Insomniac's version of MJ is probably my favorite from any version of the character I've seen. There's Zendaya and Insomniac, and Insomniac's is a badass. She infiltrates criminal operations, gets evidence and learns kung fu.

• Options
    edited October 2023
    I keep getting a “you’re leaving the playable area” message in queens, even tho I’m nowhere near the edge, and in fact am heading towards the middle of queens

Ok this is definitely a glitch since there’s a blue box in front of me and i can’t get to it without the message turning me around

Prohass on
  • Options
    Also why do your feet glow red sometimes?what ability is rhat related to? I notice it with the black suit

• Options
    I was today years old when I figured out how to do the cellphone trick on Miles.

• Options
    Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    Played through the introductory segment tonight. Movement and combat felt as familiar as if I'd just played the earlier entries yesterday.

XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • Options
    Chance wrote: »
    I was today years old when I figured out how to do the cellphone trick on Miles.

What’s the cellphone trick?

• Options
    Prohass wrote: »
    Chance wrote: »

What’s the cellphone trick?

Do a dive (click L3) where Miles' back is kind of to the ground and his chest/face are towards the viewer. This can happen naturally during swings, or can be made to happen by doing Miles' twist-to-look-at-the-viewer jump off a rooftop (hold forward and R2, tap square as you get to the edge of a roof.)

Once Miles is in the backward dive (L3) hold square. Miles will put his hands behind his head as he plummets. You can near-instantly transition into the phone animation by holding down on the left stick. So in its simplest form it's (backwards dive) L3 - wait a moment for speed - Square + down on the left stick.

Peter...
    ...will pull out a rubic's cube. :smiley:

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited October 2023
    Just got the Noire suit and wow, they just poured love into this game, didn't they?

Also, the factually correct suit to wear through the game as Miles is the Bodega Suit. Not only will Spider-Man the not-spider-cat join in on Finishers, but he will regularly and habitually ruin the tone of any scene with random shenanigans from the backpack. Also turns invisible with Miles, implying that Spider-Man the not-spider-cat actually is a Spider-Cat with spider-powers.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    The Cell Phone Trick (video examples - suit spoilers).
    Peter doesn't need his dive to be inverted to access it - he just needs to be in a dive - which makes his way easier to do than Miles'.

https://youtu.be/juBcI_kvjOQ?si=ItTDpqD2qaxrKRfy

• Options
    Crimes don't have any bonus objectives, do they? I mean in the sense that the other games had them in terms of 100%. I don't see anything on any menu, but one crime did flash a "no damage" notice for a second. I'm just getting flashbacks to trying to do the car chase crimes with no damage. If it's just a bonus as in bonus xp and nothing else, that's great.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    Crimes don't have any bonus objectives, do they? I mean in the sense that the other games had them in terms of 100%. I don't see anything on any menu, but one crime did flash a "no damage" notice for a second. I'm just getting flashbacks to trying to do the car chase crimes with no damage. If it's just a bonus as in bonus xp and nothing else, that's great.

They do, each type has one, though from what I can tell, they won't even show up unless you have learned the skill required to do it.

The only one that I've done that has never had a secondary objective show up is the chase one.

They just give bonus xp though, so it's really not a big deal. You miss out on like 100xp.

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    edited October 2023
    Later game spoilers about the city
    I know spiderman universe New York City has been through a lot and is usually pretty unfazed by cataclysmic events, but I think when the symbiotes start building spore towers is when you order the evacuation of the island

Prohass on
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular

If you push your thing that lights up the map(R3 normally) it will show you the bonus objectives again.

As for the hero tokens and crimes I imagine that it's like the first game where stuff eventually happens that upgrades crimes across the city.

• Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    I can’t get used to new Peter face. It looks terrible and makes him look too young. Something’s just off with his eyes and jaw.

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Crime onus objectives only grant a little bonus XP, nothing else. So no worries if you don't get them, you'll have to do maybe one extra mission every five missions or so to capture the same amount of XP.

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Starting to feel like this game is more of a legit GotY contender than I expected!

• Options
    Starting to feel like this game is more of a legit GotY contender than I expected!

After Forbidden West I was worried that Sony titles might be becoming a little Ubisoft-y. A little too beholden to design philosophies that ended up feeling stale (I loved FW's story presentation but got bored of the gameplay).

I didn't know what could actually run against Tears of the Kingdom for my 2023 GotY, but yeah. This is it. Well, this and Dead Space.

• Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    Ubisoft will never learn.

Insomniacs done two open world games and both are leagues ahead of anything they’ve made.

• Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    I feel like Spiderman is the perfect character for these kinds of open world games. You never ask yourself why he's running random errands for randos or finding stuff out in the wild or getting into fights with baddies. He's Spiderman, that's what he does. That's what he's always done. That's what makes him an ideal superhero.

I'm hoping that, if there's ever another Superman game, the devs look to the Spiderman template and think on ways Superman can interact with the world without punching or lasering things.

ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    My favorite thing about the Spider-Man games is how New York is completely destroyed every game and everyone is just like "It's cool."

• Options
    I feel like Spiderman is the perfect character for these kinds of open world games. You never ask yourself why he's running random errands for randos or finding stuff out in the wild or getting into fights with baddies. He's Spiderman, that's what he does. That's what he's always done. That's what makes him an ideal superhero.

I'm hoping that, if there's ever another Superman game, the devs look to the Spiderman template and think on ways Superman can interact with the world without punching or lasering things.

This was pretty much my only problem with Ghost of Tsushima. You compose terrible haiku and chase foxes, but for the most part the only way Jin interacts with the world is with his sword.

Some folks were saying the crimes (break ins, car chases) are meh, but for me it's just a good excuse to swing over there - and that's fun! It's just a reason to play another few seconds, and when the play is this fun I'll take any reason you give me.

• Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    I’m really liking the way they are using the FNSM side missions. They either hit you in the feels or show you a great flashback that isn’t just swinging around as Spider-Man. While gameplay-wise, the worst sections of all the Spider-Man games are when you don’t play as Spider-Man, the writing and fun stories that the side missions have make it all worth it.
    The one where you find the old man for his daughter and the one with Howard the pigeon man are standouts for me. Just… flying through the city with your pigeons and yacht rock playing is a mood. I also really enjoyed the Hailey side quest, if only because you get to pet the cat. I wish they did an Infamous: Second Son mini game for the murals, but it works.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    So I'm up to a boss fight against
    the Lizard
    and do yourself a favor and turn up the stupid fucking counter time. The boss randomly fires off three kinds of attack: regular melee, the stupid fucking dodge-proof melee you have to parry/jump, and a "crush" melee that you can't parry and you must dodge.

The default time to hit the counter button for this is ridiculously short and just unfun, to the point I would swear the game is just ignoring your inputs if it's within a certain amount of time of the attack landing.

• Options
    McRhynoMcRhyno Registered User regular
    That was me during a later boss. Just not fun until I turned it up.

I have to give Insomniac a lot of credit for the absurd amount of settings to customize the experience to your enjoyment.

PSN: ImRyanBurgundy
  • Options
    I think we can all agree that the pigeon chases were one of the best parts of SM1. And I'm sad they're not in SM2.
    And then Howard calls and I'm like 👍 👌 and then I go see Howard and it's all 😢 😢 and then a side mission type opens up that's just backdrafting Hunter drones with the glide and I'm just :neutral::neutral:

• Options
    edited October 2023
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    My favorite thing about the Spider-Man games is how New York is completely destroyed every game and everyone is just like "It's cool."

And, like, Avengers Tower and Strange’s Sanctum are right there, so you wonder where they are, or if they ARE around, that means things could be FAR worse. EDIT: Also, the home base of the Fantastic Four!

Hahnsoo1 on
    8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    Hawkeye: Hey I just looked out the window, there's like a super plague going on, a foreign mercenary group is taking over, and now a whole wack of supervillains are running amok. Should we maybe do something?
    Stark: Nah, that Parker kid seems to have it under control.

• Options
    MancingtomMancingtom Registered User regular
    I just assume the Avengers are off in space or dealing with some world-ending threat.

My personal headcanon for this Earth is that they never recruited Peter because he’s the only one they trust to hold down the fort in New York.

• Options
    Kraven boss fight.
    OMFG YES MILES VS PETER boss
    fight of the fuckin' year.

• Options
    Man they pulled out all the stops for this game.

"Where do you want all these stops, Game Director?"

i4kka5ny95qq.gif

• Options
    Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    It says a lot about how much trouble NYC is in that a fire-worshipping cult that's going around trying to blow up fuel tankers never even rated a mention any any prerelease marketing.

XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited October 2023
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »
    Dragkonias wrote: »

And, like, Avengers Tower and Strange’s Sanctum are right there, so you wonder where they are, or if they ARE around, that means things could be FAR worse.

I kind of feel like its kind of like with Batman where the writers would rather just ignore the greater meta-narrative of the universe because it throws off the vibe.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    Lou29Lou29 Registered User regular
    During the
    tour of the foundation, I let my hopes get raised that we were getting an appearance by everyone's favorite Nazi made out of bees. Just setting the stage for some side missions, unfortunately.

But am I the only one kind of amazed by the amount of future stories we've had teased in this?
    Sure, a couple of them will probably be DLC, but I don't remember the first game being quite as "this event/these guys will be coming back soon" as this. Carnage, Chameleon, a new Sinister Six (although I'm hoping for the Ock/Peter brain switch that led to Superior Spiderman making an appearance), Harry being brought back, Norman going full Goblin, maybe one of the Kravinoff kids surviving (did appreciate the fakeout sidequest), Spiderverse connections or at least Miguel, more Felicia stuff maybe... Soooo much crammed into an experience that I think took me less time than the original. Loved it, finishing Mysterio stuff tomorrow and platinum soon after, waiting for NG+ to do another run through.

• Options
    So for anybody who doesn't normally check on this stuff, I've already turned on the option to auto-fire webs and it saves soooooo much button pressing. One press and you get a burst of three shots, which webs all regular enemies. Very convenient. I'm going to try turning on the same option for punching because, honestly, I'm tired of mashing attack and I'm liking the idea of being able to fire off a triple-strike with one button press; that means taking an enemy down in two "attacks" instead of six or more.

If there's a clear way that these Spider-Man games fall short of the Arkham games, it's that the combat is too... fuzzy. You have to hit way too many times to knock an enemy out, Focus buildup is painfully slow, and the lack of mass takedown abilities is pretty obnoxious. The combat needs to be precise, not require beating on one guy with so many hits you can't possibly take him down without 2-3 other guys taking a swing at you and then you have to beat down like ten guys before you can use one takedown attack. The Arkham Batman games did not have these issues as you could defeat single enemies faster, attacks were faster, build up to takedowns was much faster (with perfect strikes, you're talking punching out a single enemy giving Batman enough combo for a takedown), and enemies worked according to a clear system with a rhythm to it. Even the counter system worked a lot better because, frustratingly, Spider Sense flashes white first and then flashes the correct counter color, taking away very important time to react to something or getting you to reflexively commit to the wrong counter. Just color code the damn counter type to the Spidey Sense color: white for melee dodge, yellow for blades, red for projectiles, and blue for crush. I've been hit a million times simply because that white Spidey Sense flash says "dodge"... and then I'm stuck mid-fucking-dodge when a blade attack comes around. And drop the silly "perfect dodge" window and just make every counter perfect. This combat system is just not precise enough to benefit from different levels of counter timing, give us the perfect dodge as the regular one.

It's not a terrible combat system, it's just the weakest part of the game to me and overall where they've shown the least improvement between games. They really should tighten that shit down.

• Options
    edited October 2023
    I’m fine with most of rhe stuff but the lack of mass takedowns in combat is a bummer, I mean you’re spiderman, you should be able to do mass takedowns and the animations they could add would be awesome. Especially since things can go sideways so fast there’s no real reason to use takedowns when you have 1 bar filled because you can need that health fast Vs taking out one guy

I have a minor quibble about the final lizard mission
    I get they wanted you to be able to visually track the lizard, but the green like speed trails coming off him looked so dumb and distracting. I’ve already got a waypoint on him, I don’t need a big fluorescent green trail coming off him. Not only did it look dumb it also obscured the cool animations he was doing as he jumped from building to building. All I can think is they were getting testing feedback saying he was visually hard to track. But I feel like it should’ve been ignored, a waypoint is enough, or at the very least much more subtle trail lines
    Just kind of undermined what was otherwise a cool sequence

Prohass on
  • Options
    edited October 2023
    Are folks not spamming gadgets and abilities? Large groups go down fine for me. And you get the gadgets back pretty quickly after a few punches. Web grabber to open, then an AoE ability, then regular punches usually thins out most combat groups, and then you can usually disarm distant enemies one by one easily. Use ricochet web or upshot to CC groups in the middle of combat. Always Be Gadgeting, because they regen very quickly.

For singles, a quick web up and throw or slam (hold square to uppercut, web up, hold triangle to slam down to the ground… relatively quick. If you are vaguely near a wall, you don’t even need to uppercut.) easily takes out most non-brute mobs. At the last webshooter upgrade, just webbing up while point blank often KOs a dude.

Brutes are just learning the parry timing, or burn abilities.

Really, the only problematic mobs I run into are the cultists with double flamethrowers, because they parry webs and spam that weird double arc attack.

You’re also invulnerable when using abilities or takedowns, so subbing those in instead of a dodge does two things at once.

Hahnsoo1 on
    8i1dt37buh2m.png