As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[MCU] Captain Marvel tickets on sale now, less than 60 days to go.

• Options
    Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    Man, now I’m disappointed in Ultron again, cause I was nice and creeped out by that Pinnochio thing and it was such a wet fart.

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options
    RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    I don't know much about carol. I know rogue got her flying powers from one of the captain marvels, and that's about it

She's kind of a bad ass it'd seem. Watch g her unleash, she really is the most powerful superhero isn't she? I'm way hyped for this

• Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    I don't think the Nova Corp were ever at war with Kree in the comics. It was always the Kree and Skulls who were each others arch-nemesii.

In the comics, the Kree’s power is the result of an uplift attempt by the Skrull Empire that went wrong. The Skrulls were relatively innocent at first, trying to bring a primitive race into their empire peacefully, but the Kree stole their tech and forced the Skrulls into an endless war that ground away their decency.

I can see some of this carrying over to the
    movies.

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    RickRude wrote: »
    I don't know much about carol. I know rogue got her flying powers from one of the captain marvels, and that's about it

She's kind of a bad ass it'd seem. Watch g her unleash, she really is the most powerful superhero isn't she? I'm way hyped for this

Yuuup, she's pretty strong. As Ms. Marvel she had a pretty standard flight and strength deal, nothing too weird. She then got upgraded with star powers and got a new name, Binary. She can absorb radiation, fly at light speed, control gravity, all kindsa crazy shit.

That got nerfed a little when she finally became Captain Marvel a few years back, but she can still access all those powers when she turns super saiyan, is called "binary mode" and it looks like she has it in the movie, going off her glowiness...

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    I quite liked the Ultron trailer

Which one?

"I had strings, but now I'm free."

BWAAAAAAAAAWWWM

"There are no strings on me."

BWAAAAAAAAAAAAWM

I'll admit that was particularly good, and I think the generally cool reception of the movie overshadowed some good work on Spader's part.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    I think Spader did an excellent job and I quite enjoyed the film overall, but the menace and disaster promised by the trailer didn't really play out in the film (though the consequences affected every film after that, which was neat). I would have liked a scarier Ultron. I'd love to see him come back to plague the new crew of Avengers after this arc.

• Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    Age of Ultron was meh.

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Age of Ultron is great. It just gets undermined somewhat by the follow-up Captain America Civil War feeling more like a game changing Avengers 2 than it did.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    I think Spader was fantastic and is an inspired choice for Ultron.

I think they could have written him to be a bit more menacing, but in the end none of the major issues with that movie revolved around Spader or his portrayal in my mind.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    edited December 2018
    I compare AoU to Avengers in the same way I compare Stranger Things season 2 to season 1. The scale is increased, the good parts are better, the bad parts are worse, and there's some weird sexual politics you thought the creators were better than.

Outside of said similarities, it also crams in world-building for the larger universe in the least elegant way I've ever seen since this whole cinematic universe craze started outside of Batman v. Superman.

Shadowen on
  • Options
    furbatfurbat Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    Wait, there were weird sexual politics in Ultron? I don't remember that. Are you talking about the zero chemistry relationship hinted at between Banner and Black Widow?

I need to go back and watch that movie. My wife and I are watching all the MCU movies again in order and we are only to Thor 2 so far. I remember Spader being great and the end being silly. Although the final scene between Ultron and the Vision was pretty good.

furbat on
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    furbat wrote: »
    Wait, there were weird sexual politics in Ultron? I don't remember that. Are you talking about the zero chemistry relationship hinted at between Banner and Black Widow?

The movie hamfistedly uses Widow's sterility as a reason why she's a good killer aka a monster. The implication that women's better nature is tied to her ability to have kids is.. not great.

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    If this is true this is a disappointing development.

To be super clear. The shows will not be revived on Disney+, Hulu, Amazon, etc

1/ Netflix would have blocking rights
    2/ Netflix won't sell early seasons
    3/ No one would want to drive their customers to Netflix for S1-3
    4/ Characters are likely contractually hibernated for 1-2yrs
    5/ Disney has said they don't fit Disney+, even when the season rights revert after 5+ years
    6/ Talent has been released and is very hard to re-assemble (usually far costlier)
    7/ There is more upside in starting fresh, with a different take (see Spider-Man Homecoming)

My guess is they'll hibernate them, then reboot them with a family friendly incarnation.

Matthew Ball is the former Head of Strategy for Amazon Studios

• Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    furbat wrote: »

The movie hamfistedly uses Widow's sterility as a reason why she's a good killer aka a monster. The implication that women's better nature is tied to her ability to have kids is.. not great.

I didn’t think it was tied to her better nature but more like “I can’t have kids therefore I am not worth anything” which is uniquely awful. Especially when played against Hawkeye’s family.

• Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    Banner and Black Widow never made sense to me, and yeah, zero chemistry. Hawkeye would have been a better match, though too old.

I can more easily see her as not pairing off with anyone at all though.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited December 2018
    It's made worse by the fact that she was pregnant at the time of filming

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    "Women are special and important because they can have children" as something just assumed as a value everybody shares is a depressingly common thing in a lot of fiction.

• Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    I got the feeling they were trying for a "we've both had things taken from us" bit but it really didn't work.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    I figured the sterilization was part of the "use sex as a weapon" thing, since then the only consequences are STDs.

Is that any better? No. Okay then.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    I got the feeling they were trying for a "we've both had things taken from us" bit but it really didn't work.

I believe they were, but you are correct, it didn't

• Options
    HeatwaveHeatwave Come, now, and walk the path of explosions with me!Registered User regular
    I don't think Black Widow had chemistry with anyone, but that might just be because I don't find her to be a good actor.

P2n5r3l.jpg
    Steam / Origin & Wii U: Heatwave111 / FC: 4227-1965-3206 / Battle.net: Heatwave#11356
  • Options
    Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    AoU almost feels less like a movie and more like a first act of a movie. It’s all setup for Civil War and continues into Infinity War and its sequel. But those two don’t feel like just one act, but entirely fleshed our films just connected to the others.

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    Widow saw herself as little more than a weapon because of her childhood training and slightly evil past, and her enforced sterility was a reminder of that, and also something she saw as preventing a viable future with guys like Banner. She was wrong, and Banner probably wouldn't have wanted kids anyway, but it was understandable for the character to feel like that. Widow thinks her past has marked her moral character (all that murdering and stuff) and feels guilty. It's a bit tedious to have her big character beat in the movie linked to her reproductive organs, but I don't think it was dodgy sexual politics.

The movie says removing the ability to get pregnant made her a more reliable employee and killer because there was no prospect of her, you know, getting pregnant and being unable to be a spy and killer for a bit.

Her being pregnant irl at the time is neither here nor there, I don't think.

• Options
    Her being a victim doesn't make her a monster. If she wanted to go that route, her regret should have been for the people she killed.

• Options
    Like, that scene is the exact point where I basically felt my brain stop and say "no thank you, Avengers."

• Options
    I once thought, "Well that's an awkward scene but I know what he was trying for, and he probably just had to edit it down to the bare minimum to keep the scene in at all."

And then last year it was revealed that Whedon was trash, having had numerous affairs with women who were actors on his projects while he was an executive on them, and suddenly all his small missteps in the realm of gender politics in his work became a lot more glaring.

As for the pregnancy thing... Charisma Carpenter gets pregnant on Angel, Cordelia Chase gets turned into a villain, then rendered comatose for a year, then brought back for a single episode to give Angel manpain (because that's what that character needs more of) by dying.

Scarlett Johansson gets pregnant while shooting Age of Ultron, gets turned from a badass superspy into a damsel in distress who has to get rescued by her boyfriend halfway through the film and makes a speech about being unable to have children making her a monster.

Odds are it's just a coincidence, but Whedon gets no benefit of the doubt from me anymore.

• Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    Heatwave wrote: »
    I don't think Black Widow had chemistry with anyone, but that might just be because I don't find her to be a good actor.

I mean, ScarJo isn't the most emotive actress, but I still don't know why they always typecast her as a mindless robot

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Orca wrote: »
    Banner and Black Widow never made sense to me, and yeah, zero chemistry. Hawkeye would have been a better match, though too old.

I can more easily see her as not pairing off with anyone at all though.

They would have never had the guts to pair Banner and Hawkeye tho

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    I don't think Whedon rewrites his shows or movies to make actresses he discovers are pregnant into villains or whatever because of some personal deep seated animosity towards, I guess, pregnant women.

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    Her being a victim doesn't make her a monster. If she wanted to go that route, her regret should have been for the people she killed.

It would be kind of funny if someone brought that up in the movie and she is surprised that all the murder she did wasn't considered something she was supposed to find really fun.

• Options
    Shadowen wrote: »
    I once thought, "Well that's an awkward scene but I know what he was trying for, and he probably just had to edit it down to the bare minimum to keep the scene in at all."

And then last year it was revealed that Whedon was trash, having had numerous affairs with women who were actors on his projects while he was an executive on them, and suddenly all his small missteps in the realm of gender politics in his work became a lot more glaring.

As for the pregnancy thing... Charisma Carpenter gets pregnant on Angel, Cordelia Chase gets turned into a villain, then rendered comatose for a year, then brought back for a single episode to give Angel manpain (because that's what that character needs more of) by dying.

Scarlett Johansson gets pregnant while shooting Age of Ultron, gets turned from a badass superspy into a damsel in distress who has to get rescued by her boyfriend halfway through the film and makes a speech about being unable to have children making her a monster.

Odds are it's just a coincidence, but Whedon gets no benefit of the doubt from me anymore.

Did that stuff ever get confirmed? When I first heard about it was was coming from his wife or ex-wife, and not any of his alleged victims. I didn't keep up with the story though, so I could easily be out of date.

• Options
    SpaffySpaffy Fuck the Zero Registered User regular
    I think Spader did an excellent job and I quite enjoyed the film overall, but the menace and disaster promised by the trailer didn't really play out in the film (though the consequences affected every film after that, which was neat). I would have liked a scarier Ultron. I'd love to see him come back to plague the new crew of Avengers after this arc.

Ultron had the potential to be a truly scary villain, they pulled the punch and made him way too sassy / whiny. There are flashes of what he could have been - the scene where he has BW prisoner and crushes a replicant of himself for example - but overall the ‘petulant child with daddy issues’ was a bad choice of direction for the character IMO.

ALRIGHT FINE I GOT AN AVATAR
    Steam: adamjnet
  • Options
    Spaffy wrote: »

Ultron had the potential to be a truly scary villain, they pulled the punch and made him way too sassy / whiny. There are flashes of what he could have been - the scene where he has BW prisoner and crushes a replicant of himself for example - but overall the ‘petulant child with daddy issues’ was a bad choice of direction for the character IMO.

Except that is literally what Ultron is, even in the comics.

Dude is like eternally pissed at Hank Pym.

• Options
    SpaffySpaffy Fuck the Zero Registered User regular
    Spoit wrote: »
    Heatwave wrote: »

I mean, ScarJo isn't the most emotive actress, but I still don't know why they always typecast her as a mindless robot

I mean... that’s exactly why? She doesn’t have the range to play anything else.

ALRIGHT FINE I GOT AN AVATAR
    Steam: adamjnet
  • Options
    ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    I like both Black Widow and Scarlett Johansson, and I like her with Mark Ruffalo/Bruce Banner. However, I'd say that she had more (flirtatious) chemistry with Captain America in The Winter Soldier, but that's also in part because he's such a straightforward, earnest boyscout, which contrasts well with her manner.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options

Did that stuff ever get confirmed? When I first heard about it was was coming from his wife or ex-wife, and not any of his alleged victims. I didn't keep up with the story though, so I could easily be out of date.

A rep said his ex's account includes "inaccuracies and misrepresentations" but that he wouldn't be commenting on it.

• Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular

According to Google there haven't really been any updates since his ex released that letter. Nobody else has come forward, and everyone seems to have moved on.

I'm not saying that Whedon didn't abuse his power, but I also don't think it's all that clear that having an affair, which is the only thing we know for certain, automatically makes someone a misogynist so much as it makes them a cheater.

• Options
    TarantioTarantio Registered User regular
    My problems with Age of Ultron were mostly with Ultron's plan being farcical, and the drones acting as mindless mooks instead of implements of a hive mind.

Make Ultron's plan clever (instead of just super unnecessarily complicated) and have him fight in a more interesting way, and it's a much better movie.

I even really liked the farmhouse scene.

With that said, if AoU had been better received, maybe the Russos wouldn't have gotten Infinity War. On balance, I'd rather have the Infinity War we got than a better Age of Ultron.

• Options
    daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    Tarantio wrote: »
    My problems with Age of Ultron were mostly with Ultron's plan being farcical, and the drones acting as mindless mooks instead of implements of a hive mind.

Make Ultron's plan clever (instead of just super unnecessarily complicated) and have him fight in a more interesting way, and it's a much better movie.

I even really liked the farmhouse scene.

With that said, if AoU had been better received, maybe the Russos wouldn't have gotten Infinity War. On balance, I'd rather have the Infinity War we got than a better Age of Ultron.

AoU had a whole host of problems, many of which weren't the fault of Whedon. It has that whole BvS thing where a chunk of the movie is spent trying to setup the next movie. Not that I'm upset with the Russos getting the big chair. Ultron is notable for having the stupidest plan. Obadiah Stane gets second place.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • Options
    It just felt like a huge wasted opportunity in terms of a villain. They basically turned the premise for a fantastic, unorthodox antagonist into another Villain-of-the-Week.

This discussion has been closed.