As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Overwatch] Ashe is now Live!

• Options
    ChanceChance Registered User regular
    JackdawGin wrote: »
    Now taking bets on who gets the Bride of Junkenstein's Monster skin.

Moira obv.

3rl990eil1sh.jpg

Also Torb deets:
    https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/overwatch/t/torbjorn-rework-coming-soon/210343

'Chance, you are the best kind of whore.' -Henroid
  • Options
    RonaldoTheGypsyRonaldoTheGypsy Yes, yes Registered User regular
    no brigitte or hanzo changes huh

• Options

Well Brigitte is getting a soft counter in the form of her dad's ult...

• Options
    McMoogleMcMoogle Registered User regular
    Oh dip, thats a major overhaul.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    *cries in reinhardt*

• Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    MrBody wrote: »

*kills 6 people*
    5 player kill streak!

o.O

• Options
    jammujammu 2020 is now. Registered User regular
    Moira has the right character for the role.

Ww8FAMg.jpg
  • Options
    I'm really not liking the way they're against role-specific heroes.

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    I'll wait to see Tworb (I created it patent pending) in action but the only thing I'm wondering is the ult build for the turret still seems high.

• Options
    Wait a minute... did I miss it or do those details say no changes to his HP? 'Cause let's be honest, a huge part of Torb was the fact that his actual HP is dictated by his armor packs, and his effective HP is dictated by how much he could "heal" himself with said packs.

This may actually make it way harder to be effective as Torb.

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    I suppose part of it depends on what kind of cooldown Overload has. That'd be some fake healing/hp boost for him to push with.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    Phoenix-D wrote: »

It just doesn't work in practice IMO, troll picks are bad for the health of the game. More versatile heroes means more options in any given game, which means more gameplay variety. Besides, this design seems more fun even on defense. Torb didn't have a lot of fans before even when defending.

• Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    A hero that is good on some maps, on defense, depending on team composition, is actually just bad. Not only do they add very little, they make the game worse because of the people who insist on playing the overly situational hero in every situation, frustrating their teammates immensely.

• Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    Chance wrote: »
    Wait a minute... did I miss it or do those details say no changes to his HP? 'Cause let's be honest, a huge part of Torb was the fact that his actual HP is dictated by his armor packs, and his effective HP is dictated by how much he could "heal" himself with said packs.

This may actually make it way harder to be effective as Torb.

All they have to do is give him the Winston treatment. Get that witchdoctor in and shrink his head.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
  • Options
    Overload is 5 second duration with 150 armor on a 12 second cooldown, which I think actually is probably too good. At least Torb can't one shot you like Hanzo.
    The PTR patch isn't live, there's still a chance for Hanzo nerfs. Brigitte won't be getting another nerf for a while though I think.

• Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    Coinage wrote: »
    A hero that is good on some maps, on defense, depending on team composition, is actually just bad. Not only do they add very little, they make the game worse because of the people who insist on playing the overly situational hero in every situation, frustrating their teammates immensely.

Yeah, in his current state Torb is less role-specific and more just useless most of the time, and even when he's theoretically useful he's still not a great pick compared to others.

This change still lets him play the turret/builder role, but also gives him tools to play more aggressive and fit into more comps/playstyles. I'm not planning on playing Torb anytime soon, but it seems like a good change overall.

• Options
    jammujammu 2020 is now. Registered User regular
    I love how the new turret will prioritize the dudes you shoot.

Ww8FAMg.jpg
  • Options
    jammu wrote: »

I'm not loving that either. With Torb I'd rather it be shooting at the jinky heros while I shotgun the tanks.

Though at least this way you can stop it from killing itself on Genji.

• Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular

Shoot or hit?

This will determine how much awareness Torb has to have to Pharah.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    Cantido wrote: »

Shoot or hit?

I imagine hit, that'd be some serious calculations to figure out what your intended target on a miss was.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    Unfortunately, situational heroes encompasses more than most people think. As in, Tracer and Genji proooobably shouldn't be played on defense but my teammates never seem to care.

Also if they're against troll heroes Sombra wouldn't exist.

• Options
    edited September 2018
    Cantido wrote: »

Shoot or hit?

Hit. But it will still auto-target her same way it does now (unless you tell it not to by shooting Rein with it).

Also... I need to delete the Overwatch captures off of my PS4 - I've been kind of ignoring reviewing footage and making vids in favor of... y'know, playing Spider-Man and Dragon Quest XI - but I was pretty sure I'd used all my very-best stuff in the video last week.

Still, I also knew I had a ton of PotGs I'd done nothing with, and I hate to lose 'em. That said, the reason I haven't used these in other videos is because none of them are really good enough to share.

...but maybe that's worth sharing, right? Like, y'know when you get a PotG and you kinda' want to apologize to both teams? "Sorry everyone. This was bad. Yeah, that was a good ult, Pharah, sorry about this..."

Well, here's 4 minutes of those!

https://youtu.be/dSa5k_6r1jo

And now, to delete everything. Except this one clip where I jump a Bastion in a skirmish as Mercy. It was hilarious.

Edit: happy Friday everybody!

Chance on
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    Unfortunately, situational heroes encompasses more than most people think. As in, Tracer and Genji proooobably shouldn't be played on defense but my teammates never seem to care.

in this context 'troll' means 'literally one of the worst heroes you could be playing in any given situation', not necessarily 'annoying skill set'

even in Torb's and old Symm's situations they were usually worse than just another DPS, and were beyond useless outside of those situations. And I say that as someone who mained Torb and Symm through the first few seasons

The Escape Goat on
    9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    There were always a few remarkable attack Syms and Torbs, tho... a Torb who can land primary fires like a solid McCree is a terror.

• Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    Torbs new ult seems like a pretty strong fuck you vs goats and general tank rushdown strats. Big fat dps vs armor, and his targeting turret can now prioritize squishies, instead of just getting stuck on a roadhog or something. Kinda depends on ult charge rate though, the whole point of those comps is they're good without ults.

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    There were always a few remarkable attack Syms and Torbs, tho... a Torb who can land primary fires like a solid McCree is a terror.

Sure but you're jumping through five hoops to do a decent McCree impression, which very much underlines the pointlessness.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options

vgogcybebg2z.png

I'll just leave this here.

Okay well that's true.

• Options
    MrBodyMrBody Registered User regular

Speaking of which, I've been a streak lately with attack Symmetra after her rework.

She really shines on attack maps with a nasty chokepoint (Anubis, Hollywood, Hanumura), to the point that I'm instalocking her on those maps every time. Announce that you're setting up the teleporter, have everyone bypass the choke and drop right on top of the enemy team. It's been particularly effective on Anubis. Put up the teleporter right at the choke behind the pillar, have it come out right under the bridge, everyone jumps in. By the time the enemy team realizes what happened, they have to come to you, and suddenly they're the ones attacking and you have the defensive position. Bonus points putting symmetra turrets right on the ledge they have to drop down from to get to you. The turrets distract them for a couple seconds right as your team is pouring fire into them. I've had our team capture the point in under 2 minutes 4 out of 5 times.

• Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2018
    (Crossposting)

PTR patch notes (only the major gameplay ones, minus Torb)!
    Brigitte
    - Barrier Shield
    Shield health reduced from 600 to 500

McCree
    - Combat Roll
    Cooldown reduced from 8 to 6 seconds

Pharah
    - Concussive Blast
    Cooldown reduced from 12 to 9 seconds
    - Rocket Launcher
    Attack speed increased
    Lowered recovery between shots from 0.9 to 0.75
    Damage redistributed between explosion and impact
    Explosion damage reduced from 80 to 65
    Impact damage increased from 40 to 55
    Explosion knockback reduced by 20%
    Self-knockback range increased by 25%

Orisa
    - Fusion Driver
    Maximum spread reduced from 1.5 to 1.2

Soldier: 76
    - Heavy Pulse Rifle
    Number of shots until max spread increased from 6 to 9

Thoughts:

Brigitte change is exactly the nerf I expected/hoped for. McCree change isn't a bombshell but a nice quality-of-life change. Pharah changes are...interesting. Definitely like the reduced cooldown and increased boop of her concussive blast - that's going to make her a lot more mobile and thus survivable. Faster fire speed is nice, emphasis on direct shots over splash means she's more powerful at high levels, less powerful at low levels. Probably a good change, but I guess I'll have to learn how to hit direct rockets now. Orisa change doesn't seem like a huge buff, but will probably feel nice for Orisa mains. Soldier change is likely there to make sure he can still be a viable Pharah counter even with her new changes. Overall, good changes all around! Most of these will almost definitely make it to live, although Pharah has enough changes that those might see some tweaks.

Houk the Namebringer on
  • Options
    I don't really mind any of those, but the increased fire rate for Pharah might reduce the effectiveness of her damage redistribution.

• Options
    edited September 2018
    I don't really mind any of those, but the increased fire rate for Pharah might reduce the effectiveness of her damage redistribution.

I think that's the idea. They didn't want to nerf her total damage potential, just make it so you have to be more skillful with your shots. If they'd only changed the distribution, that would be a straight nerf at all skill levels pretty much.

Houk the Namebringer on
  • Options
    KupiKupi Registered User regular
    Okay. Well. I really wanted to say "I'm totally against making Torbjorn's turret follow the last person you hit because that would be a really bad idea" and link to the appropriate post, but for the life of me I can't find where I said that should be what happens! I know I said it! I know I did!

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Options

I think that's the idea. They didn't want to nerf her total damage potential, just make it so you have to be more skillful with your shots. If they'd only changed the distribution, that would be a straight nerf at all skill levels pretty much.

I agree - I'd need to run numbers to see the actual dps difference of the splash damage. And I'm sick so I don't wanna' - but I'd be surprised if it's more than 10%.

• Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    One thing I'm not crazy about is more mobility creep. Torb, McCree and Pharah all got moderate mobility buffs.

• Options
    Zek wrote: »
    One thing I'm not crazy about is more mobility creep. Torb, McCree and Pharah all got moderate mobility buffs.

I get what you're saying, but they're all tiny compared to doing things like adding Doomfist and Moira to the game. Or letting Genji exist at all.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    soylenthsoylenth Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited September 2018

Some of my most satisfying moments on torb are head-shotting people from across the map or big fat tanks who forget torb has an alt-fire. I was decently happy to play as torb where he was, but these are good changes.

soylenth on
  • Options
    soylenthsoylenth Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    the importance of mobility in this game always jumps out at me when I'm on bastion. It's just a death wish to stay in any one place too long. I'm basically always moving on any character just so I'm not an easy target for the sniper I don't see. I've wasted too many people who are like "you know, maybe I can stand still here for 5 seconds" not to be paranoid myself.* You can bunker down to some degree, but man you'd better be a good shot.

It's fine not to prefer hyper-mobility as a meta though of course.

*I'm not an amazing widowmaker, but my number one thing to do with her is zip up to the same ledge a red widowmaker is on out of her field of view and snipe her. One guy left the game after he saw the kill cam. Like, I was 5 feet behind his head. It's so cruel but it feels so good. Unless someone does it to me, in which case it is injustice and unnecessary.

• Options
    I'm not actually mad about the Brigitte nerf, but really, she gets another one before you give Hanzo a real nerf?

• Options
    Coinage wrote: »
    I'm not actually mad about the Brigitte nerf, but really, she gets another one before you give Hanzo a real nerf?

Hanzo does need some work, but tbh I see Brigittes in way more games, and on average she's way more annoying. I'm fine with them focusing on getting her in line.

This discussion has been closed.