As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Overwatch] Ashe is now Live!

• Options
    Beyond NormalBeyond Normal Lord Phender Registered User regular
    I just had the strangest win ever. Volskaya on attack, I'm healing as Moira. Rein, Lucio and I rush past the first choke and onto the point. No one shot at us. We take it without incident. The instant we get it we make a mad dash for point #2. There is literally no one in sight. I can hear a Bastion shooting at something. I can hear a Hanzo. But there is no one. We took the 2nd point within 30 seconds.

They did not take the first point for their turn.

Battle.net: Phender#1108 -- Steam: Phender -- PS4: Phender12 -- Origin: Phender01
  • Options
    ChanceChance Registered User regular
    Just played Busan for the 1st time, and people were taking it super serious. 3 and 0, went Moira on the last 2 and Tracer on the 1st - 'cause we only had one DPS! When does that happen? When I come back to the game after over a week feelin' rusty and just wanting to heal I guess >.<

'Chance, you are the best kind of whore.' -Henroid
  • Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    My matchmaking for Busan has been so painful I've just given up. Stop sitting on the point and letting them get free damage oh my God

In other news

JJonak is good at Overwatch

• Options
    jammujammu 2020 is now. Registered User regular
    More importantly, Hammond-main is #3!

Ww8FAMg.jpg
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited September 2018
    We were getting pushed back even with me being pretty on my game with Mercy when I realised we needed more damage, but still needed healing. I've never liked Melee characters, but I grabbed Brigitte.

Holy shit I love Brigitte. Between throwing out heals or armour to people on full health, and pushing forward with her shield like Reinhardt and just smashing people in the face with her mace, I was never bored. It was like being a DPS, but not. Even managed to smash a Pharah out of the sky with her chain flail.

I'm so conflicted.

Aaand just got my personal best healing done, 9.5k as Mercy.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    MusicoolMusicool Registered User regular
    edited September 2018
    Kreutz wrote: »
    My MMR is apparently now somewhere in the range between "6v6 deathmatch" and "grasps the 2-2-2 comp concept", because every other match is me solo-healing 5 strafe characters. I don't even play tanks anymore unless I feel particularly masochistic and queue for comp.

So you're around about high Gold? I might be wrong, but that's where I remember thinking "I'm beginning to feel happy enough with what my team picks most of the time. Whatever your SR, congrats if you rose and commiserations if you fell. The rise is coming!

Btw, for tanks in 5dps teams, I used to be all Hog all the time, but playing Hog just feels bad lately.

So I play the Ball! Not only are you basically a dps, and not only can you boost your EHP every 15 seconds, but covering ground is both quick and fun, so you can roll off to mega health packs and even the spawn room quick-fast. You never die because you got no healing: you die because you overcommitted. You're in the pilot's seat, unlike those shitty Rein-no-healer games. And if your healing downtime is too high to effectively tank for your team? Well fuck them, they could have fixed that themselves by picking a healer.

Musicool on
    Burtletoy wrote: »
    I disagree completely.

hAmmONd IsnT A mAin TAnk
    unbelievablejugsphp.png
  • Options
    KupiKupi Registered User regular
    You know what I want to see? An Arcade mode that gives the people what they really want: Quick Play rules, with no matchmaking. You're just plucked off the queue as fast as the server can process players, and if your hard-stuck in Silver ass gets matched with a Master player, you get to see exactly how bad you are.

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    Kupi wrote: »
    You know what I want to see? An Arcade mode that gives the people what they really want: Quick Play rules, with no matchmaking. You're just plucked off the queue as fast as the server can process players, and if your hard-stuck in Silver ass gets matched with a Master player, you get to see exactly how bad you are.

Call it “Insta-Play” mode and I’m down.

• Options
    edited September 2018
    Kupi wrote: »

Call it “Insta-Play” mode and I’m down.

I'm down too. Some of the best QP games I've had were when I got trounced by a Diamond+ player who relentlessly murdered me, but then I learned to at least stop the bleeding by thinking a bit harder about my play. People don't give QP enough credit for being a perfectly decent learning environment sometimes, and the best learning environments (getting ruined by far better players) would come up more with this Insta Play thing.

Musicool on
    I disagree completely.

hAmmONd IsnT A mAin TAnk
    unbelievablejugsphp.png
  • Options
    McMoogleMcMoogle Registered User regular
    Always a good sign when your sombra complains about the enemy Hamtaro. Surprisingly we won despite me having to tank, which I'm terrible at.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Hey, speaking of Wrecking Ball. There's a pretty fucking fantastic easter egg involving the hamster robot on Dorado Attack (it's a video hosted at Reddit, so you'll have to click through to see it):

https://old.reddit.com/r/Overwatch/comments/9g801z/til_if_you_play_the_ow_theme_on_dorados_bells/

• Options
    BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    There are few things better as Tracer than sneaking up behind a Widow and getting to hear the DI-DI-DI-DI-DI-DI-DINK as you replace her skull with bullets before she can react.

• Options
    There are few things better as Tracer than sneaking up behind a Widow and getting to hear the DI-DI-DI-DI-DI-DI-DINK as you replace her skull with bullets before she can react.

I don't know why it's usually the Tracer's job to kill the Widow, but that's definitely how it goes.

• Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    Speculate on Halloween costumes:

Hammond - rolling giant pumpkin
    Doomfist - pro boxer with oversized gloves
    Genji - emotionless slasher with his katana replaced with a butcher knife

• Options
    BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    edited September 2018
    I don't think Genji's the right choice for something like that (as cool as it would be). Those slashers tend to be all about slow, unstoppable, and inevitable death. I think Roadhog fits better.

BionicPenguin on
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    I just want the Mercy Witch skin.

Which means I won’t get it.

• Options
    -Loki- wrote: »

You can get 1000 credits in the next month!

• Options
    emnmnme wrote: »
    Speculate on Halloween costumes:

Hammond - rolling giant pumpkin
    Doomfist - pro boxer with oversized gloves
    Genji - emotionless slasher with his katana replaced with a butcher knife

These are all excellent.

• Options
    Guxue is an insanely good tank, he better get a starting position in OWL next year.

• Options
    I don't think Genji's the right choice for something like that (as cool as it would be). Those slashers tend to be all about slow, unstoppable, and inevitable death. I think Roadhog fits better.

But in terms of the slowly-advancing dude with the axe, Reinhardt could also work. He's significantly more deadly overall at this point, at least.

• Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited September 2018
    Coinage wrote: »

You can get 1000 credits in the next month!

If you're not in a hurry for skins, you can always save up for them a year later.

I save up 1000G between events to get That One Thing I Think Or Know I Want.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    Well, I'm at 875g at the moment, though with a lot left to unlock I don't get gold often.

• Options
    Well, I'm at 875g at the moment, though with a lot left to unlock I don't get gold often.

You can do it! Believe in yourself, push it to the limit and hang in there, baby!

I've been flexing all night. Lost the game where I went Tracer >.<

• Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited September 2018
    Chance wrote: »

You can do it! Believe in yourself, push it to the limit and hang in there, baby!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9D-QD_HIfjA

Slightly off-topic: what're some other good super-80's 'training montage' songs? All I can think of off the top of my head is this one, Eye of the Tiger, You're The Best Around, Maniac, and Danger Zone. I would've said Gonna Fly Now, but it's from the '70's, and sounds the part (I love the song, though).

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    H3Knuckles wrote: »
    Off-topic: what're some other good super-80's 'training montage' songs? All I can think of off the top of my head is this one, Gonna Fly Now, Eye of the Tiger, You're The Best Around, Maniac, and Danger Zone.

I'm a big fan of Saint Elmo's Fire for such purposes.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited September 2018
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVf4_WglzWA
    It's alright, not wild about it personally. Had the link handy because I was debating whether to edit it into my post when a page refresh showed your response, heh.

Edit: regarding my pulling Gonna Fly Now for being 70's, Fame's another good one, but while it came out in 1980 it also feels out of place with the other 80's music.

Edit 2: If someone were willing to document themselves trying to climb ranks in competitive, that would make a cool clipshow project; keep clips from across the spectrum of skill ratings and do a series of vids using songs like these to show the progression as they improved. Purely as a hypothetical, the order I think would work best:
    • Bronze: St. Elmo's Fire (the lyrics are more about the start of a journey)
    • Silver: Maniac (about the process and refusing to give up despite still being a nobody)
    • Gold: Danger Zone (because this is where teamwork starts to get more organized)
    • Platinum: ? (?)
    • Diamond: Push It To The Limit (almost there)
    • Masters: Eye of the Tiger (the whittling down of the top of the heap)
    • Grand Masters: You're The Best Around

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    edited September 2018
    while not from the 80s, i thought the track they used for the montage in megalobox was pitch perfect

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45V-Tncaldk
    • Bronze: St. Elmo's Fire (the lyrics are more about the start of a journey)
    • Silver: Maniac (about the process and refusing to give up despite still being a nobody)
    • Gold: Danger Zone (because this is where teamwork starts to get more organized)
    • Diamond: ? (?)
    • Platinum: Push It To The Limit (almost there)
    • Masters: Eye of the Tiger (the whittling down of the top of the heap)
    • Grand Masters: You're The Best Around

Top 500: Chariots of Fire

miscellaneousinsanity on
    uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    edited September 2018

Slightly off-topic: what're some other good super-80's 'training montage' songs? All I can think of off the top of my head is this one, Eye of the Tiger, You're The Best Around, Maniac, and Danger Zone. I would've said Gonna Fly Now, but it's from the '70's, and sounds the part (I love the song, though).

What did you stop watching after 3?

Robert Tepper - No easy way out
    John Cafferty - Hearts on Fire.

McMoogle on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    edited September 2018
    Some other random songs that are a bit off-genre but might be able to work:
    Welcome to the Jungle (likely fills the same role as Danger Zone)
    Here I Go Again (a mid-point in the climb, maybe diamond)
    I Need a Hero (for when you're getting carried in a duo queue)
    Kung Fu Fighting (for when you become a genji main and lose a bunch of ranks)

The Escape Goat on
    9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    The entire Transformers movie soundtrack.

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    Reynolds wrote: »
    The entire Transformers movie soundtrack.

If you mean the 1980's animated movie, sure.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gnBJipem5Ec
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2HtSZaQqiBg

Edit: Man, Spectre General is like the most 80's band name ever.

H3Knuckles on
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    McMoogle wrote: »

I should have. 1-3 have a pretty good narrative arc, imho. After that it's like some Highlander film series shit ("There should have been only one").

Although, I've heard Rocky Balboa and Creed are really good.

H3Knuckles on
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    Edit: Man, Spectre General is like the most 80's band name ever.

It's not quite as 80's as the band's real name, Kick Axe. Wikipedia says they changed it on the soundtrack for 'legal reasons' which I'd always heard were 'sounds like a bad word'.

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    I wasn't interested in the Nano Cola Challenge skin, & most of the other in-game rewards were kinda meh to me, but man I wish I hadn't missed out on these:
    02500r4tg8b2.png
    Does anyone think they'll do it again next year or make them available some other way, or is this a one-and-done thing like the previous Blizzcon skins? I haven't been getting time in any games lately except when I'm babysitting my nephews (so, Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, Super Bomberman R, & Smash Brothers For Wii U). I've gotta get back on the horse.

Oh, and probably the last post I'll put on this tangent:
    Edit 2: If someone were willing to document themselves trying to climb ranks in competitive, that would make a cool clipshow project; keep clips from across the spectrum of skill ratings and do a series of vids using songs like these to show the progression as they improved. Purely as a hypothetical, the order I think would work best:
    Revised, based on everyone's input:

H3Knuckles on
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    This thread got weird. It's like an 80's themed costume party in here.

I disagree completely.

hAmmONd IsnT A mAin TAnk
    unbelievablejugsphp.png
  • Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    tumblr_oxz02x20Y11w8nl7co1_500.png

uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    McMoogle wrote: »

I should have. 1-3 have a pretty good narrative arc, imho. After that it's like some Highlander film series shit ("There should have been only one").

Although, I've heard Rocky Balboa and Creed are really good.

Do you want there to still be a cold war? Because this is how you end up with there still being a cold war. :-p

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I'm just gonna say it: give Hanzo a passive of 3X crit damage and reduce arrow damage to 85 and storm damage to 45, and give Widow a passive of 4X crit and reduce damage to 75. NO BODYSHOTS FOR SNIPERS

• Options
    Beyond NormalBeyond Normal Lord Phender Registered User regular
    Man, I was on a roll as Hammond in Total Mayhem. This may be the only way I play TM from now on.

Battle.net: Phender#1108 -- Steam: Phender -- PS4: Phender12 -- Origin: Phender01
  • Options
    Coinage wrote: »
    I'm just gonna say it: give Hanzo a passive of 3X crit damage and reduce arrow damage to 85 and storm damage to 45, and give Widow a passive of 4X crit and reduce damage to 75. NO BODYSHOTS FOR SNIPERS
    There are many things I hate about snipers. But the fact they can meaningfully contribute with bodyshots isn't one of them. Sorry, but I'm not boarding your boat sir!

I disagree completely.

hAmmONd IsnT A mAin TAnk
    unbelievablejugsphp.png
This discussion has been closed.