Options

The [Movie] Was Perfected In 1974

• Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    When I saw Spider-Verse there was a younger boy who... got distraught to the point that the family had to leave.

Big Spoiler:
    During Peter's funeral, when it was settling in that yes, he's dead.

Good job, movie!

I hope someone told him about comics and...that.

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    wandering wrote: »
    a visually splendid...cartoon
    Let’s not go too far. Personally I’m glad the era of Zemeckis style mocap animation seems to be over. When mocap Tintin holds up a picture in the style of the comic I was like “that is what this stupid movie should look like!”

bkjyq1ed4737.png

The thing that always bugged me about Tintin is that the camera wouldn't stop moving. The long shot where they're dashing through a Moroccan city, fine. A room where they're just talking and the camera keeps panning for no reason? That's the sign of someone excited with the possibilities of 3D animation and loses their sense of restraint. It was kind of unnerving.

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    Incredibles 2 was great. Cars 2 and 3 are the only films they've made that aren't at least good, and Inside Out, which was one of their best, was only 3 years ago.

Incredibles 2's opening bugs me even six months later
    Everyone's reaction to them hero-ing out in the open makes it look like the fight with the Omnidroid in the first film never happened and the public attitude to Supers is default mistrust.

Like, why are they homeless now? Three months passed from defeating Syndrome to the Underminer appearing.

I guess when Rick Dicker said "let the politicians figure it out", they sat around doing nothing, but the idea the general status quo hadn't shifted one iota as a result of the last movie doesn't match with what the first movie implied. We go from "You did good Bob" to "You want out of the hole? Stop digging". Where's the connective tissue?

• Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    Doodmann wrote: »
    TexiKen wrote: »
    Holy shit Redline sure was great and basically the spiritual animoo successor to the Wachoski's Speed Racer movie. It's Heavy Metal (and Major Boobage) plus F-Zero plus Speed Racer plus whatever sci-fi series has the most aliens in it (and another genre to show up later as a surprise). Mix that all up and then Nos it to the max because you live your life one parsec at a time.

The plot doesn't even try and slow down for you or for the standard drama beats you would get in something live action (like all the Speed/X stuff in Speed Racer), it's all going at the discretion of the existing characters, and is basically following one dude being the stoic noble cool guy rebel speedfreak who gets into Redline, the big galactic racing event every five years. And in the competition you've also got the love interest car girl with the nickname Cherry Boy Hunter, a veteran champion Redline racer who has made himself more machine to synchronize with his vehicle (yet he owns a frilly Shitzu), a magical beauty duo whose name basically translates to Super Boobs, an asshole blue monkey cop and many more, all as they try and illegally race the Redline on a world that is run basically by commie nazi Borgs who keep trying and failing to stop the race from even happening.

The animation is super smooth but also rough, but it's a deliberate homage to Heavy Metal going on here (this is the same animation studio that did One Punch Man), but everything, everything has style and originality in the design, layout, characters and cars. I was thinking of watching Cars 3 but I can't now, it's so samey and I just vomit everywhere in response. It's one of few movies where I watched it and immediately watched it again because you're going to pick up so much more stuff. And the music is fantastic, especially the opening racing theme. I don't know how much 3D modeling went into this but they covered it up super well. It's just fun and stylish and rolls with the occasional blatant cheesecake and violence (sparse but they don't skimp out when they use either), the characters don't exist to relate to or empathize with, but simply to open up the world.

A monster recommend, if Your Name set the pinnacle for an animated drama, this sets the pinnacle for animated action. Love it.

Someday I want to see it in imax or something. It's so good.

I did not realize it was the same studio as one punch man but that makes complete sense now.

Whoa, hold on, what the hell is this now? How do I watch this?

• Options
    KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular
    Redline was all hand drawn, from what I remember, which makes it even more incredible that it looks so amazing.

• Options
    metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular
    @KoopahTroopah A quick google seems to suggest it's currently streamable in the US via Amazon Prime, with an expected Theatrical release of some sort this year. Apparently it was released in 2009 and then had a UK/European release circa 2011

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Yeah, I rented it off iTunes and Amazon has it too but they're both dubs (they did this same shit with Your Name where it doesn't come with both options, and only just recently released the subbed version to purchase on iTunes), but the sub is out there.

I want to buy the blu-ray but now it's a matter of finding the right/legit english copy because there's japan/german/spanish copies on Amazon

• Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    I'll have to check it out.

Side note, I wish Amazon Prime Video had more movies that I actually want to watch and less filler. Has anyone else experienced that? I don't think I've found a single thing on Amazon Prime Video that I have wanted to watch.

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    Incredibles 2 was great. Cars 2 and 3 are the only films they've made that aren't at least good, and Inside Out, which was one of their best, was only 3 years ago.

Incredibles 2's opening bugs me even six months later
    Everyone's reaction to them hero-ing out in the open makes it look like the fight with the Omnidroid in the first film never happened and the public attitude to Supers is default mistrust.

Like, why are they homeless now? Three months passed from defeating Syndrome to the Underminer appearing.

I guess when Rick Dicker said "let the politicians figure it out", they sat around doing nothing, but the idea the general status quo hadn't shifted one iota as a result of the last movie doesn't match with what the first movie implied. We go from "You did good Bob" to "You want out of the hole? Stop digging". Where's the connective tissue?
    To me, Government support after losing a home absolutely means living out of a motel for three months. Especially if you need a location close to the kids school.
    I've known people have to wait for years to be rehoused because the only offered options are completely unsuitable (A one bedroom apartment for a family of three, for example, or a place where the closest possible school option is two hours by public transport (which they can't afford). I think it's still happening with some of the Grenfel Tower survivors).

As for waiting for the politicians to figure it out, again I take a look at how quickly politicians come to agreements on things in reality. It sounds like there was still a lot of distrust/opposition to supers, then a bunch of supers take it on themselves to cause havoc in a way that gives them very bad PR. They got a pass on the Omnidroid because there wasn't any mechanism to deal with it, but the cops say that the banks would have been insured for the damages (from being buried, apparently).

Like they said in the movie, people see mass destruction, they see supers, and they conclude that one is responsible for the other.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    KaputaKaputa Registered User regular
    Kaputa wrote: »
    Watched Ivan's Childhood, one of the two Tarkovskys I was missing (still haven't seen Nostalghia).

Definitely an awesome movie. Some of Ivan's dream sequences - the apple cart one in particular - were great, and the canoeing through the swamp scene was just amazing to watch. There were various other points throughout the movie where I was just stunned by the beauty of the shot. The actor who played the titular child did a great job, too.
    man was that ending a soul-destroyer though, holy crap. Ivan chasing his sister across the sunlit beach, I could hardly deal.

Ivan’s Childhood is my least favourite Tarkovsky film, even though I still love it. But there are sequences in that movie that are just... I mean, straight up magic. I don’t know how else to put it, but anybody that knows his work knows what I mean.
    Yeah, that Tarkovsky magic is something I'm always in search of but rarely find. His ability to combine beauty with bleakness is amazing. Bela Tarr is probably the closest I've found for that indescribable feeling, though the bleakness is more overpowering in his films.

Stalker and Solaris remain my favorites, but I'm also sucker for surrealism and trippy science fiction.

• Options
    LordSolarMachariusLordSolarMacharius Red wine with fish Registered User regular
    Krieghund wrote: »
    Redline was all hand drawn, from what I remember, which makes it even more incredible that it looks so amazing.

Yeah, Redline was a passion project that took seven years to animate.

I liked it... but the first ten minutes-or-so (the Yellowline race) are so staggeringly amazing that the movie never quite manages to do anything else as cool.

Everyone should at least watch that opening.

• Options

Side note, I wish Amazon Prime Video had more movies that I actually want to watch and less filler. Has anyone else experienced that? I don't think I've found a single thing on Amazon Prime Video that I have wanted to watch.

They seem to have two tiers of movies:
    -the recent Paramount/Lionsgate movies they get from the Epix channel and their own Amazon original movies (mostly oscar bait level dramas like that Michael Scott movie with his son being a drug addict)
    -a buttload of B-movies from the 80's/90's/00's that I swear are based on what Red Letter Media has shown on Best of the Worst

but good luck finding anything based on their UI

• Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular

In terms of sheer numbers, Prime has more that I want to watch than Netflix does these days. Prime is the best streaming service by far for older B movies, cult films and anything else along those lines. They balance that with just enough in the way of newer movies I'm interested in.

Newer movies I plan to watch soon on Prime: Eighth Grade, Bomb City, Unsane, First Reformed, You Were Never Really Here, Leave No Trace, Zama.

• Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Not actually a mod. Roaming the streets, waving his gun around.Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Astaereth wrote: »
    The Incredibles isn’t a movie with no message, it’s a movie with several messages that are by turns confused, underdeveloped, or outdated.

I have faith that the Pixar team and Brad Bird could have made a gorgeous, technically proficient superhero movie with any story they wanted to make, so fair or not I’m judging them for picking this broken story to tell. Especially since they made a big deal out of taking 10 years to do this right.

How's the story broken, though? The story is fine. It has plot, it has stakes, it has everything you need for a story. As a piece of entertainment, it's fun, funny, exciting, and delightful to look at.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    RPO would have been a vastly more interesting film if it had focused on the real world instead of the VR stuff. It had a genuinely gripping cyberpunk story for a little while.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    I havent seen RPO but theres a lost opportunity for a Starship Troopers-like parody of the novel's own values.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    To me Incredibles 2 felt less like a sequel and more like the pilot episode of an Incredibles sitcom.

Take Violet's character arcs in both films. In the first movie she undergoes a real change - from a shy girl who tries to make herself invisible (literally and figuratively) to a confident person. To signify this change she goes from hiding her face behind her hair to wearing her hair back. Meanwhile, what's her arc in the sequel? Her Dad does something she doesn't like, and she's mad at him, but then she realizes how hard he tries to be a good Dad and forgives him. That's a sitcom character arc - there's growth and change of a sort, but, in the end, the characters wind up more or less where they started, because sitcoms need to keep their characters on treadmills.

Or take the way the sequel (literally!) pushes the reset button on
    Violet's relationship with the guy she has a crush on.

Take the way that the sequel sands the edges of the franchise.
    Scores of people die in the first movie but the sequel is death-free. Sitcoms don't have people dying horribly every episode.

Anyway, if the movie was the first episode of a TV show, I'd consider it pretty dang good. But as a feature film it falls short.

Maybe their big mistake was deciding to set the sequel right after the original. The new film came out 14 years later - imagine if they pushed things ahead 14 years. Jack-Jack is a teenager; the other kids are out of the house; the parents are nearing retirement age. That would force Brad Bird and co. to make real choices - to really think about the franchise and what they wanted to do with it.

wandering on
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Yeah, I rented it off iTunes and Amazon has it too but they're both dubs (they did this same shit with Your Name where it doesn't come with both options, and only just recently released the subbed version to purchase on iTunes), but the sub is out there.

I want to buy the blu-ray but now it's a matter of finding the right/legit english copy because there's japan/german/spanish copies on Amazon

You can order the DVD or Blu-Ray from Right Stuf, which is my recommendation for sourcing any anime film (or live-action Japanese film licensed by an anime distributor) released in the United States. Their prices are usually only a couple of dollars above Amazon, and unlike Amazon they always ship their stuff in sturdy cardboard packages that will prevent any damage to your order.

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    I havent seen RPO but theres a lost opportunity for a Starship Troopers-like parody of the novel's own values.

No.

• Options
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

You can order the DVD or Blu-Ray from Right Stuf, which is my recommendation for sourcing any anime film (or live-action Japanese film licensed by an anime distributor) released in the United States. Their prices are usually only a couple of dollars above Amazon, and unlike Amazon they always ship their stuff in sturdy cardboard packages that will prevent any damage to your order.

R7dRhTi.gif

yes, that is what I needed.

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    Stan & Ollie was really good, evocative and funny, poignant and warm-hearted, and anchored by two of the best central performances you could hope for. Coogan and Reilly are just amazing, and they make the interplay between their Laurel & Hardy look absolutely effortless (a sure sign that it was anything but). Loved it.

• Options
    edited January 2019
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

Well, about to drop a ton on Blu-ray anime movies. Thanks.

KoopahTroopah on
  • Options
    Element BrianElement Brian Peanut Butter Shill Registered User regular
    god RPO, i watched it a few weeks ago knowing it would be bad but fuck i thought it might at least be somewhat enjoyable, i can't think of anything about it that was good

to go back on what people were talking about with Spielberg, he might be the best mass market director and the best in history..

but there are others today who just craft better films, Alfonso Cuaron might be the best film maker TODAY.

Switch FC code:SW-2130-4285-0059

Arch,
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_goGR39m2k
  • Options
    ChiselphaneChiselphane Registered User regular
    I like Spielberg's pre-ride video for ET at Universal Orlando. Its so cringey terribad that it flips over to incredible. The ride itself is a trip, as in it might be really close to an actual acid trip, but the clip he made setting it up... it's something else.

• Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Redline looks great.

• Options
    CristovalCristoval Registered User regular
    I like Spielberg's pre-ride video for ET at Universal Orlando. Its so cringey terribad that it flips over to incredible. The ride itself is a trip, as in it might be really close to an actual acid trip, but the clip he made setting it up... it's something else.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xyq0gi5cvus

I mean, it's one of those instances where getting him to literally phone it in might have wielded better results.

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    wandering wrote: »
    To me Incredibles 2 felt less like a sequel and more like the pilot episode of an Incredibles sitcom.

Take Violet's character arcs in both films. In the first movie she undergoes a real change - from a shy girl who tries to make herself invisible (literally and figuratively) to a confident person. To signify this change she goes from hiding her face behind her hair to wearing her hair back. Meanwhile, what's her arc in the sequel? Her Dad does something she doesn't like, and she's mad at him, but then she realizes how hard he tries to be a good Dad and forgives him. That's a sitcom character arc - there's growth and change of a sort, but, in the end, the characters wind up more or less where they started, because sitcoms need to keep their characters on treadmills.

Or take the way the sequel (literally!) pushes the reset button on
    Violet's relationship with the guy she has a crush on.

Take the way that the sequel sands the edges of the franchise.
    Scores of people die in the first movie but the sequel is death-free. Sitcoms don't have people dying horribly every episode.

Anyway, if the movie was the first episode of a TV show, I'd consider it pretty dang good. But as a feature film it falls short.

Maybe their big mistake was deciding to set the sequel right after the original. The new film came out 14 years later - imagine if they pushed things ahead 14 years. Jack-Jack is a teenager; the other kids are out of the house; the parents are nearing retirement age. That would force Brad Bird and co. to make real choices - to really think about the franchise and what they wanted to do with it.

To be fair, the sequel isn't completely death-free.
    The death of the Deavor's father is a pretty big part of the film.

• Options
    ChiselphaneChiselphane Registered User regular
    Cristoval wrote: »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xyq0gi5cvus

I mean, it's one of those instances where getting him to literally phone it in might have wielded better results.

Oooh that's the OLD one. The newer one is even worse!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbGeSSnHujo

• Options
    italianranmaitalianranma Registered User regular
    Astaereth wrote: »
    The Incredibles isn’t a movie with no message, it’s a movie with several messages that are by turns confused, underdeveloped, or outdated.

I have faith that the Pixar team and Brad Bird could have made a gorgeous, technically proficient superhero movie with any story they wanted to make, so fair or not I’m judging them for picking this broken story to tell. Especially since they made a big deal out of taking 10 years to do this right.

Wisecrack did their take on the message of the Incredibles franchise, and I think it's a pretty compelling and relevant message. I can see how there are a lot of other themes outside of the main one that are less developed and/or worse handled.
    https://youtu.be/jtsvk3Oe96M

Unfortunately I didn't see this on the big screen and had to settle for watching it on a small computer screen, so maybe I didn't pick up on any technical problems with the movie. I think I can agree with Wandering though in that Incredibles 2 doesn't have the same fangs as the original.

飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
  • Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    Sony announced today they’ve hired Jason Reitman to direct Ghostbusters 3 from his own script

Apparently we’re doing this again

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Atomika wrote: »
    Sony announced today they’ve hired Jason Reitman to direct Ghostbusters 3 from his own script

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yg2u_De8j5o

• Options

ptSYwdx.jpg

Fuck that, the only people I'd even consider listening to and not just shoot down right away would be Lord & Miller doing it and it being R.

• Options
    CptHamiltonCptHamilton Registered User regular

I don't know who that is or how bad it might imply the movie to be but I love the Ghostbusters franchise and I will go see any steaming pile of crap they're willing to slap the name on.

PSN,Steam,Live | CptHamiltonian
  • Options
    AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    It just shouldn't be done. I'm a huge Ghostbusters mark, I still have the firehouse and the ectomobile, but it can't be done without Egon so they'll introduce Jonah Hill or some shit as his replacement, Aykroyd as much as I love him is terribly out of shape and Murray is ancient as anything. I would've loved a Ghostbusters 3 but the PS3 game will have to do because a fim is 26 years too late.

It should be left alone like BTTF.

• Options
    CptHamiltonCptHamilton Registered User regular
    It just shouldn't be done. I'm a huge Ghostbusters mark, I still have the firehouse and the ectomobile, but it can't be done without Egon so they'll introduce Jonah Hill or some shit as his replacement, Aykroyd as much as I love him is terribly out of shape and Murray is ancient as anything. I would've loved a Ghostbusters 3 but the PS3 game will have to do because a fim is 26 years too late.

I disagree. There is nothing stopping a new Ghostbusters movie being great. Just don't try to reboot the franchise or to ignore the fact that the the movie it's following is almost thirty years old. Give Aykroyd and Murray a few minutes in the intro, put together a decent cast of new Ghostbusters to take the mantle, and there are endless great action comedy tales to be told.

PSN,Steam,Live | CptHamiltonian
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    The movie portion is something I can deal with.

The way the fans acted is something I don't think I'm prepared to go through again.

• Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    “I’ve always thought of myself as the first Ghostbusters fan, when I was a 6-year-old visiting the set. I wanted to make a movie for all the other fans,” Reitman says.

This is why it'll suck. You don't make a movie for the fans. Fans are terrible and all want conflicting things and end up hating the compromise by committee that results in trying to please everyone. When you make a movie for the fans *cough*money*cough*, you get Ghostbusters 2, a hollow rehash of the original genius.

There was never supposed to be a 2. It was never intended to be a franchise, Ramis and Aykroyd and Reitman wrote it as a standalone picture, one and done. The studio wanting money is why they gave in and made a 2.

nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular

I disagree. There is nothing stopping a new Ghostbusters movie being great. Just don't try to reboot the franchise or to ignore the fact that the the movie it's following is almost thirty years old. Give Aykroyd and Murray a few minutes in the intro, put together a decent cast of new Ghostbusters to take the mantle, and there are endless great action comedy tales to be told.

I don't think anything to do with the original is really even necessary. The premise is solid enough you could certainly make a good movie out of it. You'd just need a good script.

The problem is getting a good script.

• Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    shryke wrote: »

I don't think anything to do with the original is really even necessary. The premise is solid enough you could certainly make a good movie out of it. You'd just need a good script.

The problem is getting a good script.

I bet in the next one they'll start out as losers, they'll figure out the ghost thing, and save the city.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    Bobble wrote: »
    Finally got enough cause to justify grabbing a month of Hulu, so I watched Sorry to Bother You over the weekend so I could click on spoilers the next time it comes up around here.

That was a totally normal movie.
    I really thought that Cash took the deal when his nose changed at the end, and the whole thing was set up to make him the leader. Kinda glad they didn't do that, but part of me would have enjoyed the twist? But yeah, the message would be changed if they had.

I also watched Annihilation. It was a Tessa Thompson kinda weekend.

That’s the best kind of weekend. I love her - she is flat out awesome.

———

Has anyone seen escape room? Any good?

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
This discussion has been closed.