As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The [Movie] Was Perfected In 1974

• Options
    PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    All of the improv in Monty Python films occurred in the writers’ room. Somehow Michael Palin or Eric Idle or both or whoever, it’s been a while, makes sorting mud and shit look natural so the audience thinks it must be off the cuff.

Well they didn't have the budget to film endlessly, it's much cheaper to do your improv in the writing room first. They had coconuts because horses would have blown the budget

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Live Action Fantasia... I would actually be kind of down for tbh...

• Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular

Not actually a movie, they just lace all the artificially butter flavored popcorn topping with lsd and have some guy stand in the front of the theater waving a flashlight and yelling.

nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    I have to give Disney credit for making Fantasia 2000 considering a) the first Fantasia bombed and b) it's hard to think of a less commercially-viable-sounding pitch than 'a bunch of wordless shorts set to classical music'. After that one bombed too no way will they ever make another one, tho

wandering on
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    It's unfair to say the original Fantasia bombed, in the traditional sense. It was widely critically acclaimed, and its opening runs were massively successful. It had its legs cut out from under it though by WWII, it wasn't able to be released in Europe and the more widespread American release planned after the far more expensive roadshow runs was scaled back drastically. When you take into account its re-releases over the years adjusted for inflation, it's one of the most financially successful movies in history. It also pioneered, and was the first film to be released in stereo.

nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    If Disney put real effort in to some kind of hand-painted/CGI Fantasia hybrid it could be breathtaking.

• Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    Spiderverse shows it's still possible to do new and crazy shit with animation, even today.

• Options
    So Fantasia only bombed because of bombs

• Options
    edited January 2019
    The sound recording and playback for Fantasia was... well, Walt should've probably been committed. He went to RCA and said "Invent this thing that doesn't exist." and RCA said no because it was going to be crazy expensive. And they didn't even know how they could do it. And Walt said "Here's the money."
    Fantasound, developed in part by Disney engineer William Garity, employed two projectors running at the same time. With one containing the picture film with a mono soundtrack for backup purposes, the other ran a sound film that was mixed from the nine tracks recorded at the Academy to four: three of which contained the audio for the left, center, and right stage speakers respectively, while the fourth became a control track with amplitude and frequency tones that drove variable-gain amplifiers to control the volume of the three audio tracks. In addition were three "house" speakers placed on the left, right, and center of the auditorium that derived from the left and right stage channels which acted as surround channels. As the original recording was captured at almost peak modulation to increase signal-to-noise ratio, the control track was used to restore the dynamics to where Stokowski thought they should be. For this, a tone-operated gain-adjusting device was built to control the levels of each of the three audio tracks through the amplifiers.

The illusion of sound traveling across the speakers was achieved with a device named the "pan pot", which directed the predetermined movement of each audio channel with the control track. Mixing of the soundtrack required six people to operate the various pan pots in real time, while Stokowski directed each level and pan change which was marked on his musical score. To monitor recording levels, Disney used oscilloscopes with color differentiation to minimize eye fatigue. To test recording equipment and speaker systems, Disney ordered eight electronic oscillators from the newly established Hewlett-Packard company. Between the individual takes, prints, and remakes, approximately three million feet of sound film was used in the production of Fantasia. Almost a fifth of the film's budget was spent on its recording techniques.

It cost almost $4m in today's money just to develop it. And each setup, they needed one for each theater, and it was shown this way in eleven theaters, cost the equivalent of $1.5m.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    I saw an interview where Walt said something to the effect of: “I don’t make things to make money, I make money so I can make things.” And sometimes... I believe him

• Options
    tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    gee the Mummy is on Netflix

It's probably much better than Shrek

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular

I think that’s just Cirque de Soleil.

• Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    The 2016 Ghostbusters film cemented in my mind that while improv can lead to funny moments here and there, truly timeless comedies are always very tightly scripted, and the moments of improvisation are few and far between.

I think that ad libbed humor can be great, if you're just having a conversation with someone and they say something funny or clever, because part of it is just, "hey, you thought of something kind of clever to say on the fly, neat!" It's fun being part of a moment.

Ad libbed movies feel like they're trying to do this, but it fundamentally can't work that way, because it's never going to feel spontaneous and on the fly. Because it really isn't. It feels like you took fifteen takes of ad libbing and used the funniest one and comes off as something that was scripted anyway, without the polish that would come from it being ACTUALLY scripted.

It's the same reason that if your kid says something precocious on the fly it's funny, but when a kid in a movie says it, it sounds forced. Spontaneity in a scripted work is never going to feel truly spontaneous.

So knock it off, Hollywood. Seth Rogan is probably hilarious to hang out with, but that doesn't mean I want to just watch him babble for two hours.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    If Disney put real effort in to some kind of hand-painted/CGI Fantasia hybrid it could be breathtaking.

Soooooo... Fantasia 2000?

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    Atlas in ChainsAtlas in Chains Registered User regular
    I don't think ad lib is the same as improv. At least as I understand it, ad lib just means you throw your own spin on a line or two of dialogue. Improv means you make everybody around you uncomfortable and the only people that can stand to be around you also improv.

• Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    A better way to say it might be “if it says ad-lib in the script its not ad-lib”

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »
    To be fair, Melissa McCarthy is heavily typecast into comedic roles, but she’s genuinely a good actor. “Could You Ever Forgive Me?” from 2018 is evidence of that.

Watch this and tell me Melissa McCarthy doesn't know how to legit act:
    https://youtu.be/UpsXJLizBDU

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Ad libbed movies enrage me

They aren't even that funny, they're probably fun to make though so

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    It's like anything. It's good sometimes but not always and when it doesn't work and you have no backup plan it results in bad movies. A fair number of US comedies seem to have leaned pretty heavily on it as a crutch in the last decade or so and when it works you get, like, Anchorman or something great, and when it doesn't you get ten mediocre movies and a comedy scene that feels stale and lazy.

• Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    I wonder how much of Kids in the Hall was ad-libbed. Some of their best sketches go wildly off the rails.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=exZgQrOOYvs

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    Redcoat-13Redcoat-13 Registered User regular
    Astaereth wrote: »
    Disney should just announce the other 45 live action remakes now and save us all the repetitive news cycles

Live-action remake of Song of the South

Wait

I still find it odd that in the parks, you’ve got Splash Mountain and all of the br’er characters but there’s nothing out there to watch these characters in.

PSN Fleety2009
  • Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    I wonder how much of Kids in the Hall was ad-libbed. Some of their best sketches go wildly off the rails.

Its your fault I'm about to be unproductive and watch hours and hours of Kids in the Hall again

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    ObiFett wrote: »

Its your fault I'm about to be unproductive and watch hours and hours of Kids in the Hall again

I recently got the entire series for a song at an FYE, so it's been my morning ritual for weeks.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    NosfNosf Registered User regular
    Disney has flip flopped back and forth, at one point their CEO said they wouldn't do anything with Song of the South as it was antiquated and offensive, but at other times other C-level people have said they wanted to do something with it. When Whoopi Goldberg got inducted into their hall of fame thing, she stated that she wanted them to re-release it. They put out chunks of it in other things, I remember owning an album with Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah as a kid and seeing it show up on their TV show way back when.

WB released all the old Bugs Bunny material with a decent warning plaque at the start. I think they could possibly do a decent learning thing with Song of the South. Get Whoopi to narrate a learning about racism deal over top of the various parts or in between them and release it to schools.

• Options
    italianranmaitalianranma Registered User regular
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    The 2016 Ghostbusters film cemented in my mind that while improv can lead to funny moments here and there, truly timeless comedies are always very tightly scripted, and the moments of improvisation are few and far between.

I think that ad libbed humor can be great, if you're just having a conversation with someone and they say something funny or clever, because part of it is just, "hey, you thought of something kind of clever to say on the fly, neat!" It's fun being part of a moment.

Ad libbed movies feel like they're trying to do this, but it fundamentally can't work that way, because it's never going to feel spontaneous and on the fly. Because it really isn't. It feels like you took fifteen takes of ad libbing and used the funniest one and comes off as something that was scripted anyway, without the polish that would come from it being ACTUALLY scripted.

It's the same reason that if your kid says something precocious on the fly it's funny, but when a kid in a movie says it, it sounds forced. Spontaneity in a scripted work is never going to feel truly spontaneous.

So knock it off, Hollywood. Seth Rogan is probably hilarious to hang out with, but that doesn't mean I want to just watch him babble for two hours.

Rumor has it that this scene with Matt Damon reminiscing about his brothers and their final night together before going to boot camp was ad-libbed:
    https://youtu.be/8_iXD1Gcoek

And that's such a powerful scene: it still makes me laugh and then tear up in the same space of time that Matt Damon does. When see an example like this, or Han Solo's "I know" or Dustin Hoffman's "I'm walking here!" I think the true potential of Ad-libbing is when an actor is able to fully realize their character with a deeper understanding than the writer has.

飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
  • Options
    I'm curious if they'll ever try and remake Song of the South. Honestly, it might be a good idea.

wandering what are you talking about that is literally the worst idea in the world

Well maybe...but imagine if they got a black writer and black director and reframed the story to be a big fuck you to white supremacy. Instead of a story about an idealized, happy-go-lucky plantation, it could be a story where the white plantation owners are the villains. Instead of Uncle Remus being an innocuous dispenser of folksy wisdom, he could, instead, be a rebel who inspires rebellion with his tales of a wily trickster rabbit outsmarting more powerful antagonists.

• Options
    ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    12 Years A Slave, then, but with catchy tunes and animated characters. Possibly written by Neil Gaiman.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options
    Nosf wrote: »
    Disney has flip flopped back and forth, at one point their CEO said they wouldn't do anything with Song of the South as it was antiquated and offensive, but at other times other C-level people have said they wanted to do something with it. When Whoopi Goldberg got inducted into their hall of fame thing, she stated that she wanted them to re-release it. They put out chunks of it in other things, I remember owning an album with Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah as a kid and seeing it show up on their TV show way back when.

WB released all the old Bugs Bunny material with a decent warning plaque at the start. I think they could possibly do a decent learning thing with Song of the South. Get Whoopi to narrate a learning about racism deal over top of the various parts or in between them and release it to schools.

Splash Mountain is entirely Song of the South themed too. I still have a read-a-long book of it with a tape from the mid 80s somewhere.

Warner Brothers released almost all of the Bugs Bunny material. The Censored Eleven are still unavailable in any official release. There was talk in 2010 that they were going to do a full restoration, and release the eleven as kind of a historical time capsule, with bonus features and a lot of backstory about them, but that never materialized. We know the restoration of at least 8 of them is complete, because they were screened in 2010 at the TCM Film Festival. Jerry Beck has even said they were as far along as doing box art, before Warner pulled the plug without a reason.

All of it's still available though, less officially. Thanks to copyright laws in Japan being far less strict, Song of the South is in the public domain there and got put on laserdisc, and people were nice enough to rip it. It's a pretty high quality copy, even.

nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular

Having seen these guys live I can tell you they are absolutely improv pros.

• Options
    NobeardNobeard North Carolina: Failed StateRegistered User regular
    To go back a few pages, I genuinely like GB2. It has some really funny parts, some scary parts, and everyone gets some quality screen time, especially Ernie Hudson. Everyone seems to enjoy themselves, even Murray (or at least he was willing to fake it). It's not as good as the first, but it's better than any sequel to the first has a right to be. When considered on it's own merits, I think it holds up.

• Options
    SchadenfreudeSchadenfreude Mean Mister Mustard Registered User regular
    Nobeard wrote: »
    To go back a few pages, I genuinely like GB2. It has some really funny parts, some scary parts, and everyone gets some quality screen time, especially Ernie Hudson. Everyone seems to enjoy themselves, even Murray (or at least he was willing to fake it). It's not as good as the first, but it's better than any sequel to the first has a right to be. When considered on it's own merits, I think it holds up.

Peter MacNichol steals the whole film.

Contemplate this on the Tree of Woe
  • Options
    BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    GB2 is fine. It's totally fine. It's just, the first one is right there. It just doesn't do much that's really new or different. It's just more, slightly less original Ghostbusters. MacNicol is really fun in his role. The movie is fine.

• Options
    Ad Libs when it's the first time it happens and gets to print is awesome.

Like "WHY IS GAMORA?" was an ad-lib and made it into the film from the first take.

But those are moments. If all you do is Whose Line Is It Anyway? the entire film it definitely suffers, regardless of who you've got playing in it.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    I watched Ghostbuster 2 a bunch as a kid. Because we had GB2 taped on VHS and not GB1. That's basically the perfect review of the movie.

Ghostbusters 2: you went looking for Ghostbusters and couldn't find it but didn't feel like changing up your plans that much

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Ad Libs when it's the first time it happens and gets to print is awesome.

Like "WHY IS GAMORA?" was an ad-lib and made it into the film from the first take.

But those are moments. If all you do is Whose Line Is It Anyway? the entire film it definitely suffers, regardless of who you've got playing in it.

I think ad-libs can work great as an extension of an already planned script. When they replace the script itself you are basically hoping magic happens and, like, that's not a good bet the majority of the time.

• Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    ElJeffe wrote: »

Rumor has it that this scene with Matt Damon reminiscing about his brothers and their final night together before going to boot camp was ad-libbed:
    https://youtu.be/8_iXD1Gcoek

And that's such a powerful scene: it still makes me laugh and then tear up in the same space of time that Matt Damon does. When see an example like this, or Han Solo's "I know" or Dustin Hoffman's "I'm walking here!" I think the true potential of Ad-libbing is when an actor is able to fully realize their character with a deeper understanding than the writer has.

Robin Williams ad-libbed the story about his deceased wife farting in bed in good will hunting and it enhanced an already great scene, that's always the winning formula

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    I recall once hearing that the showing wounds scene in Jaws was an ad lib, but then you read up on it and actually it was like 3 iterations of writers taking a piece at the scene with Robert Shaw himself writing the last version.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    Nobeard wrote: »

Peter MacNichol steals the whole film.

We are all like the buzzing of flies to Viggo the Butch.

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    ChiselphaneChiselphane Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Every time I think of Ghostbusters 2, I think of this article. Its a slightly long read and has some terrible things in it but to me its a fascinating look into the life of someone who everybody knows who they played but not who they were. Vigo was a monster of a character but the man playing him was no saint either.

https://deadspin.com/the-hateful-life-and-spiteful-death-of-the-man-who-was-1737376537

Chiselphane on
This discussion has been closed.