As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Australian & NZ Politics] 'Straya's closed

• Options
    Mr FuzzbuttMr Fuzzbutt Registered User regular
    broken image link
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    PM Morrison won't be tested despite Dutton's COVID-19 diagnosis

But why? What the fuck is wrong with the political establishment.

• Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    Better to "not test" than to test and be positive/not make the results public.

• Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    Gvzbgul wrote: »

But why? They're not Kings, where people finding out they're unwell starts backstabbing attempts (I mean, we do that anyway). They're not Dictators that need to keep a strong image.

• Options
    MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular
    PM Morrison won't be tested despite Dutton's COVID-19 diagnosis

But why? What the fuck is wrong with the political establishment.

The same thing that is wrong with all the other right-wing political establishments in the world, because essentially all of them are the same.

• Options
    HeatwaveHeatwave Come, now, and walk the path of explosions with me!Registered User regular
    -Loki- wrote: »

But why? They're not Kings, where people finding out they're unwell starts backstabbing attempts (I mean, we do that anyway). They're not Dictators that need to keep a strong image.
    Let’s not rule this out just yet.

The coalition has already shown it’s willing to let the country burn if it doesn’t affect them.

P2n5r3l.jpg
    Steam / Origin & Wii U: Heatwave111 / FC: 4227-1965-3206 / Battle.net: Heatwave#11356
  • Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    Just waiting on the large events announcement. I'm wondering what ANZAC day looks like this year.

• Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    I'm currently scheduled to go to the Phoenix Vs. Melbourne Victory game tomorrow. Fascinated to see if that will go ahead. Especially seeing as that's basically it, these controls are about to kill the Phoenix A-League season.

• Options
    MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Well time to see if I can cancel my Gold Coast trip for May

Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious
  • Options
    Wellington's first reported case is an Australian from Townsville who had recently been to France and was tested on Thursday but still got on a plane to NZ on Friday before he knew the results.

...and this is why Australia is not exempt from the travel restrictions. :facepalm:

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Look, in our defence, a LOT of us are idiots.

• Options
    VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    God that just makes me so fucking angry

XBOX: NOVADELPHINI | DISCORD: NOVADELPHINI #7387 | TWITTER
  • Options
    TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular
    Australia is going the way of New Zealand then, in terms of mandatory 14 day quarantines for all arrivals, including citizens

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Just waiting on the large events announcement. I'm wondering what ANZAC day looks like this year.

In WA, there will be no RSL-recognised ANZAC Day services.

• Options
    TeeMan wrote: »
    Australia is going the way of New Zealand then, in terms of mandatory 14 day quarantines for all arrivals, including citizens
    And we're now doing the "no events over 500 people" thing now.

• Options
    discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    So Woolworths has implemented a 'vulnerable people only hour' because of Coronavirus.
    Couple of things I observed this morning:
    - probably still doesn't help if all the non-vulnerable people are crowding the exit, waiting to get in
    - The vulnerable people needed ID to get in, either a senior's card or disability card. The manager at my local store was not letting other obviously vulnerable people in without those.
    - still no toilet paper in that hour I think.

• Options
    VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    Tef wrote: »

Oh man, your poor Filipino workers :(

XBOX: NOVADELPHINI | DISCORD: NOVADELPHINI #7387 | TWITTER
  • Options
    TefTef Registered User regular
    @chrishallett83 any response from Da Mines?

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    Fiancée has flu-like symptoms, but her workplace has put everyone on indefinite work from home. I’ve started getting a dry cough and I’ve been told to work from home the rest of the week (I already was anyway because of my fiancée).

Seems to be fairly mild, so hopefully we don’t get worse. Went to the GP and were told they wouldn’t do a test unless it got worse.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular

Huh?

• Options
    HeatwaveHeatwave Come, now, and walk the path of explosions with me!Registered User regular
    discrider wrote: »
    So Woolworths has implemented a 'vulnerable people only hour' because of Coronavirus.
    - probably still doesn't help if all the non-vulnerable people are crowding the exit, waiting to get in
    - The vulnerable people needed ID to get in, either a senior's card or disability card. The manager at my local store was not letting other obviously vulnerable people in without those.

What the hell has happened with all the stock of...well everything!?

How is it with the current per customer limitations shelves for many products are empty?

Am I crazy in thinking this is an artificial shortage meant to boost sales?

P2n5r3l.jpg
    Steam / Origin & Wii U: Heatwave111 / FC: 4227-1965-3206 / Battle.net: Heatwave#11356
  • Options
    -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    Heatwave wrote: »

How is it with the current per customer limitations shelves for many products are empty?

Easy. Buy something, stash it in the car, come back buy another, rinse and repeat. Then head to the next shop.

• Options
    exisexis Registered User regular
    edited March 2020

Yes.

It should be absolutely expected that if there is an enormous run on specific products then there will be a delay in refreshing stock. Supply chains are tuned to minimise waste. Time that a product sits in a supermarket chain's warehouse taking up valuable storage space is waste. For the retailer, a perfect world would be having exactly the amount of stock required to refill shelves each day and no more. Obviously retailers do carry more stock to account for usual ebbs and flows, and to handle some surges, but it just wouldn't make practical sense to try to account for something like this (and honestly, who would've predicted toilet paper being the thing that people panicked over?

I think for most of these products, the stock is out there and on it's way. It's just every stage of the supply chain is playing catch up.

exis on
  • Options
    discriderdiscrider Registered User regular

In Canberra, it was only tissues (tp, normal, those thick wipes and baby wipes) and I guess sanitiser that were out when I went this morning to get milk.

• Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • Options
    TefTef Registered User regular

Huh?
    Has there been any response from the mine to corvid 19?

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    AntoshkaAntoshka Miauen Oil Change LazarusRegistered User regular

I note that it's been pretty well received by everyone, except Simon Bridges, who seems to think he has to disagree with the colour of the sky, if Labour claim it's blue. Its a pretty huge deal for businesses, as well - at least a few I know have commented that they no longer think they have to lay off their staff immediately, so that's got to be good, right?

n57PM0C.jpg
  • Options

Huh?
    Has there been any response from the mine to corvid 19?

A bunch of Amy's department that normally fly interstate have had lodgings in W.A. rented for them. She could tell you in more detail exactly what's going on, but she doesn't really come around here. I'll get her to give you a ring for a chat, it must have been ages since you two had a good chinwag!

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Simon Bridges would argue with the wind blowing. ugh. I'm starting to generate a real dislike for the Opposition leader.

And I'm starting to get anxious about the Election. What are the chances that there's work being done to make it all mail voting, like local elections? It could be done.

• Options
    It is thoroughly amazing how badly Simon Bridges has lost even consideration of my vote.

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    It really sounds like we're getting ready to close the borders completely.

MFAT just called for all traveling NZ Citizens to try and make their way home now

• Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    Simon Bridges would argue with the wind blowing. ugh. I'm starting to generate a real dislike for the Opposition leader.

And I'm starting to get anxious about the Election. What are the chances that there's work being done to make it all mail voting, like local elections? It could be done.

...Starting?

He's been a toerag from day one from everything I've seen. Though, i think everyone here is aware of my feelings on politicians who pull anti-beneficiary stuff. (I note ol' winston has wisely stayed mouth shut other than dragging Bridges during this - suspect he's not the biggest fan of the beneficiary package either vs stuff that would help him get more old-votes, but he's too much of a canny political operator to shove his foot in his mouth so soon after the recent scandal)

It's kind of a shame - i'm sure you could actually generate some useful pushback/debate (is this enough? etc), but going straight to the "Well those beneficiaries are undeserving" well is just... really Simon? really? That's what you want to go with while vulnarble people are at risk?

Glad i'm seeing him get called out, at least on RNZ.

Re: Election, it's definitely a consideration - the local place for it here is a primary school, much like in a lot of NZ places i imagine. Not excactly optimal for managing a potnetially still risky pandemic.

Closing borders entirely is an interesting move. I have no idea if that's a good move or not for NZ? I just dont know enough about these things to say with any confidence.

• Options
    oh i've been anxious about the election for a while. but my anxiety before was that Winston would keep opening his damned mouth and cost Labour the election that way and we'd end up with Bridges by default.

The proposals coming from National are just, they seem to be so mind boggingly from another planet, let alone country, that I wonder sometimes.

• Options
    Doubling the Winter Energy Payment is actually a big deal for old-person benefits in the package, as it's automatically added to super so a large proportion gets paid out to the 65+ population, so for many it's a significant part of their income. It's actually a decent and politically acceptable way of targeting old & vulnerable persons through the flu season.

• Options
    AntoshkaAntoshka Miauen Oil Change LazarusRegistered User regular
    It really sounds like we're getting ready to close the borders completely.

MFAT just called for all traveling NZ Citizens to try and make their way home now

I don't think it's so much closing completely, as airlines are rapidly going to stop flying here if no passengers want to come + so the effect is that, for people wanting to get back, there are no flights

n57PM0C.jpg
  • Options
    Fishman wrote: »
    Doubling the Winter Energy Payment is actually a big deal for old-person benefits in the package, as it's automatically added to super so a large proportion gets paid out to the 65+ population, so for many it's a significant part of their income. It's actually a decent and politically acceptable way of targeting old & vulnerable persons through the flu season.

Ah, i somehow hadnt quite registered that before - tells you where my focus is. I am very happy on that being doubled too.

@lonelyahava Yeah, that's fair. The dream would be a pure Labor/Green government. (actually the dream would be a pure greens/left wing government, at least for me, but that's not happening any time soon). For now i'll be content if we can Keep Labor/Green/+something not odious in power

• Options
    A friend of mine just got back from SEA and posted a picture of the plane. It was just him and one other passenger in the photo.

This discussion has been closed.