As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

She Blinded Me With [Science] Thread

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    The oceans are supremely cool

• Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2021
    Solar wrote: »

This is very true. Just barely above freezing in most places, in fact!

Houk the Namebringer on
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    I knew one of you god damn nerds would make that joke I knew it

• Options
    TefTef Registered User regular
    Boo this man!

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    Given a couple million years of evolution most of the planet should be fine after the anthropocene mass extinction event. We just won't be around to appreciate it.

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    I dunno about that. Humans kinda worse than cockroaches in some respects.

(PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    I knew one of you god damn nerds would make that joke I knew it

8-)

• Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    Just imagine all of the delicious beings in those depths.

• Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular

Boooo!

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • Options

Boooo!

8-) 8-) 8-)

• Options
    edited June 2021
    Actually it's just a colony of a few dozen REALLY REALLY LARGE ARTHROPODS.

http://www.scpwiki.com/scp-169

DisruptedCapitalist on
    "Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Blobfish.

Blobfish everywhere

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited June 2021
    Fish fact you probably already knew: Blobfish actually look like quite normal fish at the crushingly high pressure depths they live in, they only turn into blobs when they are brought up to the surface and their bodies are horribly mangled by decompression.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Well whatever counts for "normal" down in the abyss but yeah

• Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    Madican wrote: »

God that part of Hollow Knight creeped me out more than Deep Nest

Wait what

• Options
    MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular
    Madican wrote: »

Blobfish-Reddit.jpg?ssl=1

• Options
    The kind of pressure down there frightens me. My ears begin to hurt if I dive to the bottom of a twelve foot (3 meter) pool.

• Options
    PeasPeas Registered User regular
    I remember someone in here talking about this a while back

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Byford_Dolphin

300px-Byford_Dolphin_Accident.jpg

Diving bell accident
    On Saturday, 5 November 1983, at 4:00 a.m., while drilling in the Frigg gas field in the Norwegian sector of the North Sea, four divers were in a diving chamber system on the rig's deck that was connected by a trunk (a short passage) to a diving bell. The divers were Edwin Arthur Coward (British, 35 years old), Roy P. Lucas (British, 38), Bjørn Giæver Bergersen (Norwegian, 29) and Truls Hellevik (Norwegian, 34). They were assisted by two dive tenders, William Crammond and Martin Saunders.

Hellevik was about to close the door between the chamber system and the trunk when the chamber explosively decompressed from a pressure of nine atmospheres to one atmosphere. One of the tenders, 32-year-old William Crammond of Great Britain, and all four of the divers were killed instantly; the other tender, Saunders, was severely injured.

The decompression chamber as seen from above at the moment the accident occurred. D1–D4 are divers; T1 and T2 are dive tenders. The trunk is the section that joins chamber 1 to the diving bell.
    Just prior to the event, decompression chambers 1 and 2 (along with a third chamber which was not in use at the time) were connected via a trunk to a diving bell. The connection made by the trunk was kept sealed by a clamp operated by Crammond and Saunders, who were experienced divers. Coward and Lucas were resting in chamber 2 at a pressure of 9 atm. The diving bell with Bergersen and Hellevik had just been winched up after a dive and joined to the trunk. Leaving their wet equipment in the trunk, the two divers climbed through the trunk into chamber 1.

The normal procedure would have been:

Close the diving bell door, which would have been open to the trunk.
    Slightly increase the pressure in the diving bell to seal the bell door tightly.
    Close the chamber 1 door, which was also open to the trunk.
    Slowly depressurize the trunk until it reached a pressure of 1 atm.
    Open the clamp to separate the diving bell from the chamber system.
    The first two steps had been completed when, for an unknown reason, Crammond opened the clamp that was keeping the trunk sealed before Diver 4 (Hellevik) could close the door to the chamber. This resulted in the explosive decompression of the unsealed chamber system. Air rushed out of the chamber system with tremendous force, jamming the interior trunk door and pushing the bell away, striking the two tenders. All four divers were killed; of the tenders Crammond was killed while Saunders was severely injured.

Medical findings
    Warning, explicit description
    Medical investigations were carried out on the remains of the four divers and of one of the tenders. The most notable finding was the presence of large amounts of fat in large arteries and veins and in the cardiac chambers, as well as intravascular fat in organs, especially the liver. This fat was unlikely to be embolic, but must have precipitated from the blood in situ. The autopsy suggested that rapid bubble formation in the blood denatured the lipoprotein complexes, rendering the lipids insoluble. The blood of the three divers left intact inside the chambers likely boiled instantly, stopping their circulation. The fourth diver was dismembered and mutilated by the blast forcing him out through the partially blocked doorway and would have died instantly.

Coward, Lucas, and Bergersen were exposed to the effects of explosive decompression and died in the positions indicated by the diagram. Investigation by forensic pathologists determined that Hellevik, being exposed to the highest pressure gradient and in the process of moving to secure the inner door, was forced through the crescent-shaped opening measuring 60 centimetres (24 in) long created by the jammed interior trunk door. With the escaping air and pressure, it included bisection of his thoracoabdominal cavity, which resulted in fragmentation of his body, followed by expulsion of all of the internal organs of his chest and abdomen, except the trachea and a section of small intestine, and of the thoracic spine. These were projected some distance, one section being found 10 metres (30 ft) vertically above the exterior pressure door.

• Options
    SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    Apparently that was caused by faulty equipment rather than human error.

aTBDrQE.jpg
  • Options
    Ok, I misspoke. It doesn't frighten me, it terrifies me.

Never never never gonna do pressurized diving.

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    God I wonder what state the guy who survived was in

• Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited June 2021
    It's...extremely impressive that we are capable of surviving at 8 atmospheres tho.

As horrible as that accident is.

In some ways the deepest parts of the ocean are more difficult to deal with than space.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    TefTef Registered User regular
    help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    It's...extremely impressive that we are capable of surviving at 8 atmospheres tho.

As horrible as that accident is.

In some ways the deepest parts of the ocean are more difficult to deal with than space.

The Core was a pretty bad movie but it was actually scientifically interesting until they hit the point where a character all but looks at the audience and says "Now forget all that we're going to do a dumb silly pulpy adventure story."

One of the things a character says prior to that point is responding to a "If we can put a man on the Moon" comment with "Space is easy! It's empty! We're talking about millions of pounds of pressure per square inch!" (Of course this is not taking into account Earth orbit, with the space junk, but...)

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    humans who are trained can deal with roughly 7-9 atmospheres

anything past that though? fuck off

also, the bigger issue is creating vessels that won't crumple like dixie cups if a slight woopsie poopsie happens to the structure

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
  • Options
    MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular
    I'm sure other people already know this (does seem to be old news) but I just learned that platypuses don't have stomachs. Not only that, but they ditched all the DNA that codes for making stomachs, so even if there was some kind of pressure to get a stomach again, they couldn't.

They just keep getting weirder and weirder to me.

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    I never knew that. That is some weird stuff, mang.

• Options
    LordSolarMachariusLordSolarMacharius Red wine with fish Registered User regular
    I didn't even realise that birds don't pee until it came up in something related to dinosaurs.

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    It just occurred to me the other day, like, birds are dinosaurs, but we never think of dinosaurs as birds.
    What if raptors liked sliding down snowy slopes, or T-rexes were just giant cockatiels and would love to sing and dance if music existed back then.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    It's very likely some of the more bird-like dinosaurs had mating displays like modern birds!

• Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular

Did not know China had put a rover on Mars

• Options
    edited June 2021
    apparently they just did it, and hardly anyone is reporting on it. I also had not heard several other space programs have gotten orbiters around mars.
    https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-57628653

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    edited June 2021
    apparently they just did it, and hardly anyone is reporting on it. I also had not heard several other space programs have gotten orbiters around mars.
    https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-57628653

it's hard to be all "yeah American exceptionalism, we have slipped the surly bonds of Earth and went to Mars!" if you have to add "well and so have a bunch of other countries."

Depressperado on
  • Options
    Yeah I conspicuously only hear about other countries' space programs when something goes badly for them! Wonder why :rotate:

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    While putting this at the feet of western media is tempting, a lot of lack of coverage of the Chinese lander is as a result of China self-censoring. While it's been known they had sent a lander and it was going to Mars, Chinese State media didn't do a big live feed, or even announce when the landing would be because ~secrets~ and not wanting to lose face in case of failure. We only had a rough guess when it would be because of orbital tracking, ran a couple news stories about it probably happening, and then China announced it was successful without very much in the way of pictures or video, so all that could be said is 'that happened'.

Anyway, all the usual astro science social media feeds and blogs were aware and mentioning this, but the complete lack of open and free information from China about their lander has pretty stifled any media coverage anywhere about what they've achieved. What you see there constitutes more real information from China than has been released to date from the time of launch to now, so, you know, I'm much more comfortable saying the lack of knowledge about this is as much on Chinese Authoritarian media control as it is any patriotic slant to western coverage.

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    edited June 2021
    Fishman wrote: »
    While putting this at the feet of western media is tempting, a lot of lack of coverage of the Chinese lander is as a result of China self-censoring. While it's been known they had sent a lander and it was going to Mars, Chinese State media didn't do a big live feed, or even announce when the landing would be because ~secrets~ and not wanting to lose face in case of failure. We only had a rough guess when it would be because of orbital tracking, ran a couple news stories about it probably happening, and then China announced it was successful without very much in the way of pictures or video, so all that could be said is 'that happened'.

Anyway, all the usual astro science social media feeds and blogs were aware and mentioning this, but the complete lack of open and free information from China about their lander has pretty stifled any media coverage anywhere about what they've achieved. What you see there constitutes more real information from China than has been released to date from the time of launch to now, so, you know, I'm much more comfortable saying the lack of knowledge about this is as much on Chinese Authoritarian media control as it is any patriotic slant to western coverage.

I was mostly talking about like, the ESA has an orbiter around Mars. Russia, I think India has one? the United Arab Emirates sent some stuff to Mars

not hearing a lot about China's efforts is definitely them playing it close to the chest. vest? one of those.

edit: also I think the Soviet Union sent some orbiters back in the 70s

Depressperado on
  • Options
    PeasPeas Registered User regular
    edited June 2021
    A Tour of Earth's Ancient Supercontinents 48:45
    https://youtu.be/ZpoplYQhoFs
    Written & Researched by Leila Battison.
    Video edited by Pete Kelly.
    Narration by David Kelly.
    Thumbnail Art by Ettore Mazza
    Artwork by Khail Kupsky

Peas on
  • Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    So you can clap when your hands are full.

This discussion has been closed.