As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

DELTARUNE: Chapter 2 out now!

• Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    Ah controller issues, I guess that explains why I didn't notice any problems. KBAM 4 lyfe!!!

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    AbsalonAbsalon Lands of Always WinterRegistered User regular
    edited September 2021
    Yeah that was some good good good six hours. There is stuff left to do and see of course, but now I have all the let's plays to watch as well. People's reaction to the first big area and its music should be especially joyful. Holy goddamnit what a bop. I'll remember that part for the rest of my life.

Absalon on
  • Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    cB557 wrote: »
    jothki wrote: »
    Enlong wrote: »
    Given the ending of chapter 1,
    I'm actually really surprised we'll see the same party in later chapters.
    i am expecting that “Kris” will be posing as Kris for much of the adventure. Acting normal, basically. Until such a time as they can use the trust Kris earned to achieve whatever goal they have in mind.
    Given that Kris and Ralsei had a talk while we were busy watching Suzie, I wouldn't be surprised to have them just voluntarily put us back in their body.
    Honestly who knows what the deal with Kris is. Maybe we're not possessing them and they just rip out their soul sometimes so that they can steal pie without feeling guilty.
    HOW THE FUCK DID YOU KNOW
    Other people on the internet had guessed it and I just repeated it.

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    So Asgore was part of the police until he was removed...

I think whatever led to the Dreemurr estrangement is a BFD. On the Buttercups level

• Options
    Soundtrack went up yesterday as well.
    https://tobyfox.bandcamp.com/album/deltarune-chapter-2-ost

• Options
    NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    completed the thing, will need to go back through to find the things I missed.

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
  • Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    edited September 2021
    OK, the first real boss fight was pretty great.
    Getting the ability to ACT with the other characters is pretty great, as you previously didn't get to do much with Susie unless an Act required her.

Also, there was a fun Homestar Runner reference.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VgVJC9eNb-g

The trio you fight there is called Sweet Cap 'n Cakes. Which is pretty dang close to "Sweet Cuppin' Cakes", the name of Strong Bad's weird cartoon idea. Also, when the CD player guy plays his music, it starts out real close to the "keyboard demo" that Strong Bad imagines his keyboard-headed doppelganger would play when angry.

Also, one of Ralsei's dances is from Peanuts.

edit:

Boss 2:
    HOLY CRAP THIS MUSIC

Also, a friggin' Bump Of Chicken reference?

Enlong on
  • Options
    KupiKupi Registered User regular
    A very early line of dialog is making me heavily suspicious.
    How does Ralsei know about the layout of the school? I mean, clearly Ralsei is an anagram of Asriel, and Asriel is your college-aged brother in this setting, so maybe Ralsei is some kind of... shadow echo of his past life or something? His continued insistence on recruiting people through SPARE is such heavy-handed signposting that I'm pretty sure that's all going to lead to something nasty in five years when Chapter 7 is finally available.

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Options
    Felt like Spamton was easier than Jevil to me, beat him on my first go. Still, fun fight.

I would've felt cleverer for guessing that Kris was the knight if I hadn't done so like, three minutes before the game confirmed it.

• Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    Okay, that bit when the soundtrack first kicks in for the new Field is an absolute goddamn flex by Toby.

ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    Kupi wrote: »
    A very early line of dialog is making me heavily suspicious.
    How does Ralsei know about the layout of the school? I mean, clearly Ralsei is an anagram of Asriel, and Asriel is your college-aged brother in this setting, so maybe Ralsei is some kind of... shadow echo of his past life or something? His continued insistence on recruiting people through SPARE is such heavy-handed signposting that I'm pretty sure that's all going to lead to something nasty in five years when Chapter 7 is finally available.
    There’s this strange theme of the dark world being an imaginary or transformed version of areas and objects from the light world. Such as that ball of random objects that become the characters you saw in the first game.

So it’s quite possible that Ralsei knows that aspect of the dark world, and has info on what locations are what areas in the light world.

• Options
    Man, this game has some amazing jokes.
    Video Game Piano Two Toriel got me real bad.

• Options
    ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular
    edited September 2021
    So, there's a hidden alternate route.
    It is, of course, a Genocide Route. It's fairly complex to trigger too. You're basically trying to:
    Go full Sithlord with Noelle.

And specifically to get on it (major spoiler)
    Manipulate her into killing Berdly.

To actually make that happen, the main thing is to
    Once you get Noelle in your party, backtrack as far as you can go, and then start using IceShock to kill literally every single enemy in the world. In addition to that, you need to manipulate her into thinking you have a crush on her (ferris wheel poster), and then repeatedly push her to do various evil things. Once she's 'strong' enough, she'll learn a super ice spell, but it costs too much CP to actually use. If you've frozen literally every monster before Berdly, Spamton will sell a ring that lowers the cost.

ArcTangent on
    ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    Shit man, that concept might be at least as unsettling as the original game

• Options
    Shit man, that concept might be at least as unsettling as the original game

I'd say more
    The interesting thing about Undertale geno is how impersonal it is. In pacifist you're engaging with the characters and their hopes and dreams, maybe trying to change their mind, etc. Geno doesn't care a jot about that, most emphasized when you walk straight across one of Papyrus' puzzles. They're just in your way.

This route is way more disturbing because it is engaging with the characters. It's personal what you're doing.

Not going to be touching this route with Lesser Dog's extended head.

• Options
    AAA developers and publishers: *spend thousands and thousands of dollars on writing, voice actors and trailer editing to make marketing and reveal trailers that conveys the game is wacky fun and features hah-hah moments, in desperate attempts to create memes and references*
    Toby Fox: Potassium

• Options
    Also disturbing but compelling theory about the game's themes
    Your choices don't matter, but your friends' do.

• Options
    edited September 2021
    Soooo (speculation based on piecing ending scenes of chapters 1 and 2 together)
    Chapter 3 with Toriel filling in for Ralsei because the dark fountain appeared in the living room, and Chapter 4 with a fountain in Asgore's flower shop and Asgore taking Ralsei's spot, because something gotes?

Absalon on
  • Options
    Chapter 2 Ralsei stuff, from what I figure is the final area.
    Ralsei says that each Dark World is its own “reality”, and darkners who try to go to other ones may end up unable to handle it. The result is what happened to Lancer; he turned into a statue, and can only be saved by returning to castle town, with its well of pure dark.

So, why is Ralsei fine and dandy in another dark world? Heck, he was fine going to the card world last time. I can think of 2 likely reasons:

1. Ralsei isn’t a darkner. This one is kinda staring us in the face. Is Ralsei actually Asriel? But why wouldn’t Kris or Noelle react to him more strongly in that case.
    2. Castle town darkners are special. If the castle town well is like some “universal donor” that allows those from other worlds to live there, then maybe those from castle town are universal receivers, who can survive on any world’s darkness.

• Options
    Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    Within the first 15 minutes I remembered why this was so amazing.

Also never forget to just go everywhere. So much quality text to miss.

• Options
    AshtonDragonAshtonDragon AKA The Nix Registered User regular
    ArcTangent wrote: »
    It is, of course, a Genocide Route. It's fairly complex to trigger too. You're basically trying to:

Once you get Noelle in your party, backtrack as far as you can go, and then start using IceShock to kill literally every single enemy in the world. In addition to that, you need to manipulate her into thinking you have a crush on her (ferris wheel poster), and then repeatedly push her to do various evil things. Once she's 'strong' enough, she'll learn a super ice spell, but it costs too much CP to actually use. If you've frozen literally every monster before Berdly, Spamton will sell a ring that lowers the cost.
    I've heard that the ferris wheel thing is optional, which is good because it's pretty easy to miss. But yeah, it's still a lot more specific in what you have to do than in Undertale.

Ending spoilers for that route.
    It's hard to figure how the game could continue from this route into the next chapter. Technically the only major differences in the current state are Noelle and Berdly, but still. Even if both of them aren't going to be major characters in future chapters, it still feels like it would have a major impact.

It's also possible that Berdly isn't dead, but... he probably is. I'm also wondering if Kris stuffed him in the closet along with everything else, so he might just "go missing".

Anyway, game is good. I'm sure I missed some stuff even aside from the above, but I at least got the second shadow crystal. Now to get completely obsessed and watch some streams and stuff all week.

• Options
    ArcTangent wrote: »

For convenience:

• Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    I kinda wish Ralsei would put the hat back on

• Options
    Winky wrote: »
    He's no longer a big cone shape and I don't like it.

• Options
    He's no longer a big cone shape and I don't like it.

I really liked the FF black mage vibe

• Options
    Maybe it should be an option, but I thought that Ralsei walking around hatless in this chapter was impossibly adorable.

• Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    My daughter has a Ralsei doll, so to me he's forever an adorable plushie with the hat and his face in shadow.

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    Ok I finished it proper (still need to wander around the aftermath)

Wanted to at least get the main plot done to look into how much meat is on the phone and all the spoilers in here

My, that is some... stuff though.
    That "genocide" route (which seems to be named snowgrave which is much better but also worse?) is definitely WAY more uncomfortable than Undertale. The act of turning monsters into dust seemed a little more cartoony. Freezing Berdly to death in a fake world and he can't wake up is way more messed up. Like was said, the fact its not a mute MC that is essentially a shell to fill with the player and is more you forcing an actual character to become that way just hits way harder. But at the same time, the whole game kind of just keeps going around it at least, not ending like you literally destroyed the entire game, makes it seem more approachable? I feel like I need to do it just for the extra boss fight, since the main story fights are all super simple. The only thing that killed me was toby is a toy car.

Can definitely see the improvements overall from Chapter 1 in the game as a whole, but I can't help but feel like both the King and Jevil were better fights than anything I did in Chap 2 (haven't looked at the secret boss and snowgrave boss though yet). I also miss there being NO reason to do any actual fighting outside of one mechanic on the Queen fight. Though the Punchout section was amazing and absolutely made up for it.

The writing is absolutely aces, as should be expected. I found myself saying "you know, its been years, will the was Toby's writing really as good as I remember?" Followed by "fucking A right it was."

I absolutely love Queen. Her writing and character was amazing and was a great "bad guy" to have along for the ride.

• Options
    Kai_San wrote: »

Wanted to at least get the main plot done to look into how much meat is on the phone and all the spoilers in here

That "genocide" route (which seems to be named snowgrave which is much better but also worse?) is definitely WAY more uncomfortable than Undertale. The act of turning monsters into dust seemed a little more cartoony. Freezing Berdly to death in a fake world and he can't wake up is way more messed up. Like was said, the fact its not a mute MC that is essentially a shell to fill with the player and is more you forcing an actual character to become that way just hits way harder. But at the same time, the whole game kind of just keeps going around it at least, not ending like you literally destroyed the entire game, makes it seem more approachable? I feel like I need to do it just for the extra boss fight, since the main story fights are all super simple. The only thing that killed me was toby is a toy car.

Can definitely see the improvements overall from Chapter 1 in the game as a whole, but I can't help but feel like both the King and Jevil were better fights than anything I did in Chap 2 (haven't looked at the secret boss and snowgrave boss though yet). I also miss there being NO reason to do any actual fighting outside of one mechanic on the Queen fight. Though the Punchout section was amazing and absolutely made up for it.

The writing is absolutely aces, as should be expected. I found myself saying "you know, its been years, will the was Toby's writing really as good as I remember?" Followed by "fucking A right it was."

I absolutely love Queen. Her writing and character was amazing and was a great "bad guy" to have along for the ride.

Correct me if I'm wrong but
    the normal-path secret fight and the snowgrave-path final boss fight are the same boss, but the snowgrave fight is slightly harder, as I understand it.

• Options

Correct me if I'm wrong but
    the normal-path secret fight and the snowgrave-path final boss fight are the same boss, but the snowgrave fight is slightly harder, as I understand it.
    It is the same boss yeah. I dunno if the fight is the same though, but you do the Snowgrave version alone. Maybe that is all that is harder?

• Options
    Also oh my god
    I did not realize the final fight's head was actually based on your machine from Chapter 1. Not everyone will get to experience the wonder of the fucking Duck face fighting the final boss.

• Options
    Also oh my god
    I did not realize the final fight's head was actually based on your machine from Chapter 1. Not everyone will get to experience the wonder of the fucking Duck face fighting the final boss.

Who wouldn't have built the duck??

• Options
    Also oh my god

Gotta max gun's

• Options
    Saw someone say that the eyes on one of the Titans in the roaring cutscene look a lot like those eyes on the freaky cliffs you land on when you first enter the Dark World in chapter one. Went and got screenshots.
    CIqItY0l.png

o1uilQql.png
    Not their wierd + faces, the eyes on the torso of the one in the center. They look like the same design to me. Those cliffs wig me out, and I guess it might not be without reason!

The dudes on the left and right kinda reminded me of Mister Society, but after looking at them side to side it's a bit of a stretch.

• Options
    Also oh my god

Gotta max gun's

Speaking of that,
    Does the machine you built change what the special attack is during the Giga-Queen fight?

I built the duck, and its special move was "totally sucky attacks", which caused my mech to have squeaky ducks surrounding its head, made its attacks squeak when they hit Queen, and healed me some to start the turn (I guess I was "sucking" some HP?)

So, do you get a different special move if you made a gun's machine, or something else?

• Options
    AshtonDragonAshtonDragon AKA The Nix Registered User regular
    Also oh my god

Gotta max gun's

Speaking of that,
    Does the machine you built change what the special attack is during the Giga-Queen fight?

I built the duck, and its special move was "totally sucky attacks", which caused my mech to have squeaky ducks surrounding its head, made its attacks squeak when they hit Queen, and healed me some to start the turn (I guess I was "sucking" some HP?)

So, do you get a different special move if you made a gun's machine, or something else?
    Yes, I definitely had a different attack with my fire machine. I got a good chuckle when I saw a video of someone who had a duck machine.

I can't remember exactly what it did though. I thought it was just a stronger attack?

• Options
    Also oh my god

Gotta max gun's

Speaking of that,

Yes, I definitely had a different attack with my fire machine. I got a good chuckle when I saw a video of someone who had a duck machine.

I can't remember exactly what it did though. I thought it was just a stronger attack?
    Mine was called lazer mode. You do an attack that's pretty damaging and then the next punching phase you also attack faster.

• Options
    edited September 2021
    I wonder if
    Ralsei is constantly on Kris' person all the time, or something, as an explanation for his ability to move from fountainworld to fountainworld without issue (and his strange ability to know in which unused classroom the fountain from Chapter 1 showed up). Could he be the knife?

Absalon on
  • Options
    Absalon wrote: »
    I wonder if
    Ralsei is constantly on Kris' person all the time, or something, as an explanation for his ability to move from fountainworld to fountainworld without issue (and his strange ability to know in which unused classroom the fountain from Chapter 1 showed up). Could he be the knife?
    I’ve heard someone suggest that maybe Kris and Asriel have a set of paired lockets, like [name] and Asriel did in Undertale. And maybe Kris’s locket becomes Ralsei.

• Options
    Absalon wrote: »
    I wonder if
    I’ve heard someone suggest that maybe Kris and Asriel have a set of paired lockets, like [name] and Asriel did in Undertale. And maybe Kris’s locket becomes Ralsei.
    I saw someone else speculate that Ralsei is a personification of the set of fake horns Kris wore when they were younger. The red ones Toriel got for them when they asked when their horns were growing in. And that'd be why Ralsei's horns are pink.