As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

DELTARUNE: Chapter 2 out now!

• Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    edited September 2021
    So, I started another file, on the Switch. Already had it downloaded from some time ago, so why not?

Going through chapter 1 again, makes me wonder some things about the story, and possible connections with Undertale itself.

General spoilers for Undertale and both chapters, I suppose.
    So like, in Undertale, the only person to actually mention the Delta Rune and name it was Gerson. He said that the symbol is super old, and its meaning is lost. But the monsters started thinking of it as representing the Angel from their prophecy. Now, that one was specific to Undertale; one that said that an angel who has seen the surface will descend, and make the Underground go empty. Either extreme ending to the game would basically fulfill that prophecy.

What interests me is the prophecy in Deltarune, which also mentions an angel. Ralsei says that the three heroes will ultimately “banish the Angel’s Heaven”. Which hasn’t been explained at all yet. And then, in chapter 2, Spamton Neo is obsessed with the concept of Heaven, and there’s an implication that someone doesn’t want him to talk about certain things.

I wonder if it wouldn’t be fitting for the angel’s heaven to be connected to that other angel, that was mentioned the one time someone talked about the Delta Rune. And it should be noted that Toby Fox had Deltarune’s story in mind before ever making Undertale. So I would not be surprised if he included the symbol with intent to return to it.

In Undertale, the best match for the prophecy’s angel is either Asriel (in a pacifist run where he destroys the barrier), or [name] (in a genocide run where they “empty” the underground of all life). It wouldn’t be too strange for Asriel’s idea of Heaven to be a world where nobody was trapped underground, and he got to live with his family. And [name]? Well, all we really could ask for from Undertale’s world is another game.

I think that things will get very interesting when Asriel finally comes to visit.

Enlong on
  • Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
  • Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    Is this free? If so, why?

• Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    I am leery of the uninstaller. So, I can't put it in a folder in my games directory?

• Options
    Krathoon wrote: »
    Is this free? If so, why?
    It is. It's been a long year for everybody so Toby Fox figured he'd give this chapter away for free to try and make the year a bit better.

• Options
    Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    Also Toby seems to not really be in it for the money at all, and Undertale did VERY well for him. He did not take to the fame well at all either.

The first one was a "demo" in that it was the whole first chapter. I think he intended to release the rest of the game as a whole, but yeah with the shitty year and all his other troubles getting in the way of dev, he felt bad and put out chapter 2 when it was done.

I honestly was shocked and a lot of people wanted to throw money at him, but he seems well off with a dev team dedicated to making the rest.

• Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    Besides he's still making money on residuals and merchandising. For example I've bought every soundtrack off of Bandcamp.

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited September 2021
    Krathoon wrote: »
    I am leery of the uninstaller. So, I can't put it in a folder in my games directory?

That problem got fixed ages ago with old versions of chapter 1, I should edit that warning out. If you're worried about it, just make a new folder to install into and it should be double safe. The original issue was uninstalling deleted everything in the folder the exe was in and all subfolders, but that would only come up if you dumped the install into an existing folder used by other things, which the default install path wouldn't run into and most users wouldn't do anyway.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    Chapter 2 ending
    I recall Toby Fox did an interview or something a while back, where he said (paraphrased) that Toriel wasn't some perfect angel and that she even swore when she wasn't around little kids

And I guess he wanted to go out of his way to prove that!

XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • Options
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited September 2021
    I can guess exactly how that came about. Ah, good old descriptive loanwords.

jothki on
  • Options
    Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    And that’s how I got the title for the light novel I’m getting published in Tokyo.

• Options
    Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    Also I’ve now dealt both runes. Good little games!

• Options
    AbsalonAbsalon Lands of Always WinterRegistered User regular
    TobyFox is plainly dedicated to details and consideration of tone and atmosphere (what a German might call "Fingerspitzgefühl") but he and most characters in his game have just stunning, imposing levels of dipshit energy.

• Options
    edited September 2021
    yeah it's great
    they're just such endearing dipshits

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Absalon wrote: »
    TobyFox is plainly dedicated to details and consideration of tone and atmosphere (what a German might call "Fingerspitzgefühl") but he and most characters in his game have just stunning, imposing levels of dipshit energy.

Is that Ice-E’s catchphrase in the German version of the game?

• Options
    ZythonZython Registered User regular
    So...Chapter 2...
    Who should I give the present to? >.>

Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
  • Options
    Zython wrote: »
    So...Chapter 2...
    Who should I give the present to? >.>
    I gave it to Birdley due to chickening out on giving it to Susie.

• Options
    The meme that seems to have taken over of Susie and Kris in random games after teleporting through a door has ended up with some entertaining results
    ljvov8v432q71.png

• Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    Huh. Seeing that pic made me realize that no matter how rude Susie gets she never actually swears in the game? Though I haven't fully played all the chapters yet so I could be wrong.

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    If you select her team name in chapter 1, you become the "$!$? Squad". The grawlix stands in for something Lancer considers a "Tier 2 swear".

She also says stuff like "It's not like I could dress up as a goddamn monster" when defending her halloween costume (a box). I'm sure there's more examples; she does seem to be fairly casual with swearing on occasion.

• Options
    They use "tier 1" swear words. I think she says ass and damn and such. She at least was responsible for " The %?!@ squad" team name in chapter 1. I think alliteration let's you know what that was supposed to mean.

This meme is great because it seems to originate from the entering the dark world animation and the original uses the wide Susie Sprite which is hilarious when plopped into other worlds.

People are getting really creative with these too.

• Options
    EmperorSethEmperorSeth Registered User regular
    It took me a while to realize that Deltarune is almost but not quite an isekai. Undertale too, sorta.

You know what? Nanowrimo's cancelled on account of the world is stupid.
  • Options
    It's a Narnia-Like.

• Options
    Werewolf2000adWerewolf2000ad Suckers, I know exactly what went wrong. Registered User regular
    Kai_San wrote: »
    The meme that seems to have taken over of Susie and Kris in random games after teleporting through a door has ended up with some entertaining results
    ljvov8v432q71.png

oh my god

steam_sig.png
    EVERYBODY WANTS TO SIT IN THE BIG CHAIR, MEG!
  • Options
    the next step from here is to Quantum Leap them into the background of John Egbert's 13th birthday.

• Options
    the next step from here is to Quantum Leap them into the background of John Egbert's 13th birthday.
    Already been a few in that vein.

• Options
    edited October 2021
    So, something neat about the final boss fight(s) in chapter 2. I was told this just recently.
    In the first fight with Queen, you are totally free to break her acid shield with violence, and it won’t have any repercussions if you’re trying to free Berdly with mercy. The shield is just a shield, and has no bearing on how you finish the fight itself.

So you’re totally free to actually use Rude Buster, Red Buster, and your basic attacks, as long as you switch back to ACTing when you can reach Berdly.

Which I think is pretty neat. Susie’s special attack being something you probably don’t want to use was a little disappointing in chapter 1. I like that you get the opportunity to crush the shield with no consequences.

Enlong on
  • Options
    I just replayed Chapter 1 in preparation for a "Neutral" run. I spared about half of the creatures in chapter 1 and defeated some characters, like Jevil and the King, through violence.
    I was a little disappointed how little that changed the start of chapter 2. The characters I fought were still recruited, the King was still in prison, etc. The only difference I found was a few dialogue changes since a few people remembered how violent I was.

Also, is it just me, or is Jevil way harder when Fought instead of pacified? Normally, it takes me two tries to beat him, but this time I wasted like half an hour finishing him off. Maybe it's just that I I had a functioning controller when Chapter 1 came out?

• Options
    Werewolf2000adWerewolf2000ad Suckers, I know exactly what went wrong. Registered User regular
    edited October 2021
    HI I'M [DEREK BUM]

Werewolf2000ad on
    steam_sig.png
    EVERYBODY WANTS TO SIT IN THE BIG CHAIR, MEG!
  • Options
  • Options
    So something I noticed watching someone start chapter 2 without a chapter 1 save. You need to enter your name for the save file, but you don’t need to enter a name for your create-a-character, or remake one. I wonder if that says anything about how important that whole character creation is gonna be in the end, if you can make a file without that process.

• Options
    KupiKupi Registered User regular
    Enlong wrote: »
    So something I noticed watching someone start chapter 2 without a chapter 1 save. You need to enter your name for the save file, but you don’t need to enter a name for your create-a-character, or remake one. I wonder if that says anything about how important that whole character creation is gonna be in the end, if you can make a file without that process.

When I opened the save files in Notepad, I noticed that my from-chapter-1 save had the vessel's name in it as the second or third line, but the fresh one from chapter 2 didn't have it. So, it's either genuinely irrelevant or a bonus for playing through the whole game from chapter 1.

---

Speaking of hidden bonuses:
    Evidently if you manage to get to Round 3 of the Giga Queen battle without taking damage, she powers up and throws new attack variants at you:

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    A Dammit Kris meme
    780t8cuz6nec.jpg

• Options
    Hahaha! We can go even further beyond!

• Options
    They just keep coming, and getting better

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GRyLvUoHQfI

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Just finished Chapter 2,
    So I'm guessing there's "soulless" Kris and a "normal" one?
    That's the best I can figure. Messed up to learn their parents are divorced as a side bit of dialogue.

I feel like I'm only getting part of the story from reading these spoiler threads, like I'm expected to do the other routes too for the bigger picture.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    there's other routes?
    I've grasped it all pretty well, some stuff you pick up from dialogue with people around town between adventures.
    like toriel and asgore being divorced you could figure out from talking to them and other people in the post-adventure town part of chapter 1. The Kris vs. [PLAYERNAME] thing is mysterious and I don't think anyone knows what that's about yet except for speculating based on the genocide ending from Undertale.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    there's other routes?
    I've grasped it all pretty well, some stuff you pick up from dialogue with people around town between adventures.

Well, I've read that some things are completely different on No Mercy runs...

What is the 'Weird' route I'm reading about here?

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    oh I mean I actually don't know lol, I haven't been reading anything about alternate routes, I wasn't aware of it. Was avoiding spoilers in here and then finished it and stopped checking the thread I guess.

BahamutZERO.gif