As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Join us in thread and [Steam] group chat!

• Options
    KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    -Loki- wrote: »
    Jazz wrote: »
    Of course, The Division 2 will still be available to buy, you know, on Uplay itself.

I'd be more inclined to pick it up there in due course.

As I said in the Division thread, I buy my Ubisoft games on uPlay anyway because if you play any games on there you’re guaranteed a constant 20% off, even pre orders now.

Oh yeah, also need to use up my uplay points before they expire, which still seems like a move I don't particularly like.

• Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    Mirror has a decent gameplay loop and what is this swords icon.....

*two houra later*

Yeah, real good gameplay loop but the art and content are all over the place.

Puzzle quest 2 is...... harder to jump into gameplay

• Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    HiT BiT wrote: »
    GREEN ENVELOPE ALERT!
    GREEN ENVELOPE ALERT!
    THIS IS NOT A DRI... Oh! It's just a harmless friend request. Nice!
    Wait a minute...
    Oh, my....
    S0y9D.gifS0y9D.gifS0y9D.gif
    7hpmBYm.jpg
    uBECZgJ.jpg
    Ib4repu.gif
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    The friend request has been accepted. The gift bombing concluded. Now we wait to see if anyone survived...
    Nope.
    No survivors.
    True giftpocalypse.
    Thank you for the "carnage" @MNC Dover, you monster! <3<3<3

This was worth the 30+ pages of build up. I'm going to do another one in the next thread. Time to start planning it out now.

Also add some more funds to my paypal. :)

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    I have had a "1 unread chat message" green envelope stuck on Steam for 4 days. I click on it and it just brings up the last chat I had with Viking on Saturday. I cannot get it to go away, not even restarting Steam or rebooting my PC. It's REALLY STARTING TO BUG ME. /mutter

Why are you so bad at this, Steam???

Have someone else send you a message.

• Options
    Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    Jragghen wrote: »
    I have had a "1 unread chat message" green envelope stuck on Steam for 4 days. I click on it and it just brings up the last chat I had with Viking on Saturday. I cannot get it to go away, not even restarting Steam or rebooting my PC. It's REALLY STARTING TO BUG ME. /mutter

Why are you so bad at this, Steam???

Have someone else send you a message.

I did. Lots (I do tons of steam chatting). And I made sure I'd clicked in the reply box to every person that I'd chatted with in the last week.

But I just now made it go away by messaging Viking again. I had to actually send a message and not just click in the reply box for it to disappear.

Oh steam. /sigh/

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    Karoz wrote: »
    -Loki- wrote: »
    Of course, The Division 2 will still be available to buy, you know, on Uplay itself.

I'd be more inclined to pick it up there in due course.

As I said in the Division thread, I buy my Ubisoft games on uPlay anyway because if you play any games on there you’re guaranteed a constant 20% off, even pre orders now.

Oh yeah, also need to use up my uplay points before they expire, which still seems like a move I don't particularly like.

I'm looking through it now for stuff to blow mine on, at least the ones that will definitely expire on March 31st... and it's striking me how much free stuff (like, 0 points) stuff there is on there. Nothing too massive, just the odd skin or something in some games, wallpapers, soundtracks, that sort of stuff, especially on slightly older games. Sure, I'll have a Ghost Recon Wildlands outfit and $30,000 in-game cash for Watch Dogs 2 for absolutely no outlay, why not! Most of my point outlay is going on some pretty princess dress-up stuff for Wildlands itself. If I'm going to lose the points anyway, sure I'll grab a ghillie suit and a Bolivia baseball cap. There was a mission pack for Wildlands I didn't know about too, so sure.

Although I like how it's telling me I don't own Splinter Cell Blacklist, despite my Steam copy showing up in the Uplay client. I own two copies of that game (still have the 360 version too). Oh, Ubisoft. Although if I click through it shows me that I've got everything for that game anyway... :lol:

• Options
    Hmm... I haven't played Assassin's Creed Origins yet (although I've seen some stuff that makes me want to rectify that at some point), but I do have Odyssey. Is it worth getting Bayek and Aya as lieutenants for the Adrestia?

• Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    Depending on how late you get into a game uPlay generally has quite a lot of 0pt cosmetics. I’m just now playing The Division because of Humble, and I got full themed outfits based on R6, Ghost Recon and Splinter Cell among with some other stuff. Looks bunch better than what I’m getting early game.

I’ll probably use 100 to get 20% off The Division 2, and buy as much random shit as I can in games I have.

• Options
    There's a thought. I picked up The Division in a sale back in the summer but haven't played it yet. I'll probably get that installed and fired up so it registers, and have a look at that stuff.

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Is it worth getting Bayek and Aya as lieutenants for the Adrestia?

You can, or not. It doesn't really matter, the trait quality of lieutenants is only based on their level and to some extent their type(e.g. elite, captain). You'll likely bench them pretty quickly.

• Options
    Donnicton wrote: »
    Is it worth getting Bayek and Aya as lieutenants for the Adrestia?

You can, or not. It doesn't really matter, the trait quality of lieutenants is only based on their level and to some extent their type(e.g. elite, captain). You'll likely bench them pretty quickly.

Cool, I'll leave them then.

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    fApArwp.png?1

*blows single party noisemaker*

• Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    The random number generator has determined the next game I play from my backlog is Neverwinter Nights Diamond. How do I play this? I heard the campaign is a dud but the two expansions are fun and start you at lvl 1 anyways. So I'll just play the Underdark things and this fan-made Kingmaker thing. Good plan?

• Options
    McHogerMcHoger Registered User regular
    emnmnme wrote: »
    The random number generator has determined the next game I play from my backlog is Neverwinter Nights Diamond. How do I play this? I heard the campaign is a dud but the two expansions are fun and start you at lvl 1 anyways. So I'll just play the Underdark things and this fan-made Kingmaker thing. Good plan?

Skip the OC. Play Shadows of Undrentide then import your character to Hordes of the Underdark. If you still want some more after that look into Darkness Over Daggerford and Pirates of the Sword Coast.

• Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    McHoger wrote: »

Skip the OC. Play Shadows of Undrentide then import your character to Hordes of the Underdark. If you still want some more after that look into Darkness Over Daggerford and Pirates of the Sword Coast.

Is there a way to spruce up the graphics for free? I have the regular version but this game is supposed to have a robust modding community.

• Options
    McHogerMcHoger Registered User regular
    McHoger wrote: »

Is there a way to spruce up the graphics for free? I have the regular version but this game is supposed to have a robust modding community.

Yeah, there are a ton of mods for the game. I never messed around with the visual mods but you should be able to google some lists.

• Options
    FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Ok. Just finished Subnautica.
    It was definitely a Play Once And Only Once game for me. I mean, I loved it when I played it, but the frustration* and scare factor** was so high that I'm not planning to play it again.

*since if you want to be sure you've found stuff you need to create a scanning base in a 707m staggered pattern (under optimal conditions. With terrain and hostile fauna it's never optimal). And that's not even counting the "We need to go deeper" shit. And you have to go deeper. Oh you have to go deeper.

**Like this game is scary. Once you get out of the shallows the games creatures, environments and music will do its best to cause you a god damn heartattack. Especially since the game really pushes it's "you're not at the top of the foodchain here human" game design. You do feel slightly safer in the submarine or Prawn "submersible powerloader" suit, but after you've got those the enemies get noticably scarier.

Fiendishrabbit on
    "The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    Interesting. Bizzare Studios refugees made a Car-MOBA. Its leaving Early Access soon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9WVbBVNqIDU

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    Huh

*deletes Subnautica, throws computer away *

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    I feel like nobody had a single positive thing to say about Steams discussion area until the Epic Store became a thing.

Like two months ago, I feel like the prevailing opinion was to set them on fire and never look back..

I don't hang out on Steam forums, but I regularly shift-tab and hit up a guide when I'm having a rough time. Granted, I can get to guides other ways if I'm playing an Epic game, but I *like* what Steam has done in that space. Also, every time I've had difficulty getting a game running, there's been a Steam forum post about the same problem, and nine times out of 10 there has also been a solution to it that worked for me.

I also like that Steam gives me a unified friends list for PC games.

This isn't me being anti-Epic, it's me being pro-Steam. I don't like the Battle.net client or the uPlay client either. I'm all for choice, and Epic snapping up exclusives isn't giving me and other consumers more choices. They're opening up their store and insisting that I shop there. That's lame when Wal-Mart does it, that's lame when GameStop does it, and that's lame when Kickstarter does it. Epic is not special in this regard. They're acting like asshats, and I don't like asshats.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    32ip4c26s6ja.jpg

Woo I beat* Celeste! It has a super engaging story that had me enthralled the whole way through and tackles some serious subject matter. It really gives you a sense of accomplishment for completing the game.

by putting on super baby assist mode

That is, if I were up to the challenge. Problem is, I suck at hardcore platformers (even if some have described this as a "chill super meat boy"--which I only completed the first world of SMB and never looked back) and don't have much desire to improve. By about mid way through chapter 1 I already felt like I was fighting the controls far too much to really enjoy the game. Thankfully, and it is the only reason this game made it on to my wishlist was due to the articles covering its super forgiving assist mode. Despite a plea from the developer to not use it on your first playthrough (which raises the question: why would you use it on subsequent playthroughs?), I turned it on and tried to tweak to something I would find more manageable. Unfortunately, the only setting that worked for me was setting on invincibility, infinite dashes and infinite stamina (though with dashes on the last was superfluous). From there it turned into a glorified walking simulator where I just needed to spam the dash button to proceed to the next conversation/cutscene. But those moments were quite engaging enough so to keep me going in a game I had voluntarily turned into a pushover. Alas, that the game's helpful, hopeful, and encouraging tips postcards that might help you to strive against the challenge the game sets before you are released in the intermission between chapters--which comes far too late if you can't beat chapter 1.

Now I won't spoil the story and I'm not sure any games have tackled these issues in quite this way. Night in the Woods is probably the closest I can think of but goes about it differently and with far less difficult platforming. It's powerful and for that alone it should be checked out. Unfortunately turning on (super) assist mode makes the game clock in at about 3 hours with quite a bit of "filler" between conversations, which doesn't quite make it worth price IMO if you aren't into hardcore platforming. Sure, similar priced walking simulator games like What Remains of Edith Finch clock in at comparable completion times and price but there you get to enjoy the entire experience instead of skipping to the parts you like. Therefore, if you are interested in the story material, but not the gameplay, I would not recommend buying it and instead watching a Let's Play on youtube.

I'm not trying to say Celeste is a bad game. It's a very good game and I see why it garnered so much praise from last year's game awards, but it's not a good game for me. If you like platformers or feel up to the challenge then this is a highly recommended game that you should grab ASAP. But if you're like me, then it's probably better to keep your distance and spend your money on more personally appealing games.

The graphics, sounds design, and music are spot on though and I definitely recommend taking a listen to the OST (WARNING: Potential Spoilers from track names).

Thanks again to @Orivon for gifting me this rad experience.

Karoz on
  • Options
    Side note about Celeste - if you have an Xbox One, it's currently one of the free Games With Gold.

• Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    At one point I was curious enough about the battle royale phenomenon that I created an Epic account and started downloading Fortnite. Was busy for the next couple of days, so never logged in and tried it out. Before I could even play the damn game I started getting emails from Epic about hacking attempts for my account. I kept getting them every few days until it escalated a bit and sounded like my account had been fully compromised. For a game I'd never even played.

There's not a chance in hell I would ever give Epic any kind of payment information to purchase something from them. I don't care what they get as exclusives.

• Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    Two factor authentication is pretty much required on any major platform these days.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    I still think that hacking alert was a... shaking of the box to get people to return to their accounts in preparation for their store.

I would never have logged in if they had not sent that alert

• Options
    DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    It was definitely a Play Once And Only Once game for me. I mean, I loved it when I played it, but the frustration* and scare factor** was so high that I'm not planning to play it again.

*since if you want to be sure you've found stuff you need to create a scanning base in a 707m staggered pattern (under optimal conditions. With terrain and hostile fauna it's never optimal). And that's not even counting the "We need to go deeper" shit. And you have to go deeper. Oh you have to go deeper.

**Like this game is scary. Once you get out of the shallows the games creatures, environments and music will do its best to cause you a god damn heartattack. Especially since the game really pushes it's "you're not at the top of the foodchain here human" game design. You do feel slightly safer in the submarine or Prawn "submersible powerloader" suit, but after you've got those the enemies get noticably scarier.

The submarine (Cyclops) only ever made me feel more vulnerable, honestly. By myself I can run away from most stuff no problem, but the Cyclops is slow and hard to maneuver and carries all of my stuff so going anywhere where there are things that can hurt the Cyclops with it is an exercise in tension.

By comparison, the PRAWN was basically invincibility in a can. It's ridiculously tough and inside it you don't need to feel threatened by almost anything.
    Like, seriously, you know those tentacle dragons in the final areas? I jumped at one and got into a fistfight with it for a laugh once - and came out nearly unscathed, though of course you can't actually kill them. The main risk is Warpers, because they can pull you out of the suit (which can happen midjump and make your suit fall into the goddamn lava)

Steam ID: Right here.
  • Options
    KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    Drascin wrote: »

The submarine (Cyclops) only ever made me feel more vulnerable, honestly. By myself I can run away from most stuff no problem, but the Cyclops is slow and hard to maneuver and carries all of my stuff so going anywhere where there are things that can hurt the Cyclops with it is an exercise in tension.

By comparison, the PRAWN was basically invincibility in a can. It's ridiculously tough and inside it you don't need to feel threatened by almost anything.
    Like, seriously, you know those tentacle dragons in the final areas? I jumped at one and got into a fistfight with it for a laugh once - and came out nearly unscathed, though of course you can't actually kill them. The main risk is Warpers, because they can pull you out of the suit (which can happen midjump and make your suit fall into the goddamn lava)

I got to the point in the game where you have to go much much deeper, after the research station thing, and I just . . . couldn't go on. The stress coming from both the potential to lose the giant sub and it being deep, dark, scary water got to me so bad that I actively didn't want to play any game because I felt obligated to play it more.

It was actually the game that finally made me resolve that I needed some basic rules on when to retire games.

Which is sad, because the not-terrifying parts of the game, such as the base building? That was lots of fun.

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • Options
    FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular

PRAWNs and big stuff
    I think I did kill a Ghost Leviathan by grappling onto its head and clawing until it was floating upside down

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
  • Options
    DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    Kalnaur wrote: »

I got to the point in the game where you have to go much much deeper, after the research station thing, and I just . . . couldn't go on. The stress coming from both the potential to lose the giant sub and it being deep, dark, scary water got to me so bad that I actively didn't want to play any game because I felt obligated to play it more.

It was actually the game that finally made me resolve that I needed some basic rules on when to retire games.

Which is sad, because the not-terrifying parts of the game, such as the base building? That was lots of fun.

Would it help if I said that all the areas where you absolutely NEED to bring the Cyclops are not actually dark? I only brought the Cyclops to the deep cave systems that went into Lost River and deeper, and those areas are actually significantly better lit than a lot of the outside ocean, for some reason. For everything above ground, Seamoth largely suffices.
    Honestly, my general strategy was to use the Cyclops as little as possible. When I wanted to do the final dive, I first scouted with the Seamoth until I was absolutey sure I had found the entrance to the Lost River cave system, loaded the Cyclops with a pile of materials to build a deep base, got into the cave systems and sneaked past until I found a safe spot, built a small base there when I found said safe spot, and parked the Cyclops there then went out in the PRAWN to mine the area. Then repeated the system slightly deeper.

Basically I did hourlong PRAWN sorties exploring and looking for things, content in the knowledge that sure, bringing the sub might be easier and handier, but what I lost in efficiency I gained in peace of mind, knowing I was fucking indestructible inside my PRAWN and the Cyclops was safe.

Steam ID: Right here.
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    Zavian wrote: »
    One of the best features for me on Steam are the community Steam Guides. I think they're one of the best features on Steam, though of course that's more the effort of Steam gamers than Valve specifically, but they do offer that feature. With Steam overlay it's easy to access them in-game. I'm sure other platforms eventually will catch up and their own communities will start producing Guides, but that's always been something I feel like Valve has done right

I mean, gameFAQs has been there for a long time. And doesn't even have half the guides that are nominally marked as english actually being in russian. And worse, videos.

But that's a lot less convenient that popping open the overlay

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Sounds like i should download subnautica this weekend to see it crash on my pc.

Should call computer sonics about replacing the fan and maybe the cpu this week.

• Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    Holy heck Divinity Original Sin 2 is already extremely charming. I love Ser Lora so much!

Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    TIL Steam thread has a fear of sea depths.

I loved Subnautica, like a lot. The only gameplay thing that I really did not like at all, was the requirement to build this huge ass submarine to build pieces of your escape. Since that huge ass submarine is a literal hell to pilot and completely useless with only one person.

Everything else about the game was super cool and very pretty. Ocean depths were spooky though.

• Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    I never played Subnautica, I think I skipped it because it was supposed to have issues with 21:9 resolutions. Further investigation implies they've been worked out though, so maybe I should give it a shot.

• Options
    Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    I never played Subnautica, I think I skipped it because it was supposed to have issues with 21:9 resolutions. Further investigation implies they've been worked out though, so maybe I should give it a shot.

Yeah, should probably go ahead and take the plunge. Just dive right in.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular

It's a very deep game. The fathoms of content are innumerable.

• Options
    edited January 2019
    Besides the content issues with mirror, I finally realized would really bug me about it.

At higher difficulty levels, your only real solution was focusing on getting 5 item matches.

At the end of puzzle quest 2 that I'm at now, I out level everything so there's no real challenge.

I'm going to re download honey pop and shoot for an achievement.

Edit: crap, its the final perfect achievement.

RoyceSraphim on
  • Options
    Mugsley wrote: »

It's a very deep game. The fathoms of content are innumerable.

This sounds a bit fishy. But I hope it goes swimmingly.

• Options
    Blackhawk1313Blackhawk1313 Demon Hunter for Hire Time RiftRegistered User regular
    The hope of course in all that is that it doesn’t go belly up.

• Options
    edited January 2019
    Hi all, just a reminder that today, tomorrow and Saturday at 4 pm PST I'll be holding Friday Night Gaming sessions for an hour each (possible to go longer since I have the free time).

Friday Night Gaming Steam Group--we'll gather in the group chat there as time approaches.

Games this Week (as according to the poll)
    Magicka 1/Magicka 2
    Terraria
    Castle Crasher
    Torchlight 2
    Monaco

F2P Options:
    Warframe
    SCP: Secret Labratory

Games are subject to whims of players who show up and nothing is set in stone.

I hope to continue this through my school semester, but I'll see. Classes come first after all.

And then I suddenly get hit with gifts. WTH @Blackhawk1313 !
    c0bozlm4d1ji.png

I already don't have enough time to play all the games! Now I need to Mutiny some Stick Fights?!

Thanks you jerk!

Finally Subnautica talk. Like a lot of people the huge cyclops can be a burden when you're use to the free movement of the SeaMoth. I'd use it as a mobile base for deploying the SeaMoth/Prawn and use it as little as possible except when I had to. It was a big awkward thing and I appreciated that but sure it was annoying to use. I still find it funny that the PC doesn't need a deep sea diving suit whereas the Sea Moth would start being crushed like crazy but sometimes you just have to go with the game = fun > realistic.

Karoz on