As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PC Games - Voidship & God Eater 3 out today!

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    YaYa wrote: »
    I have a question and it may just end up referring me to another thread

how on earth do people find good iOS games? Metacritic is functionally useless for this

Word of mouth here on the forums, which is pretty much how I find all of my good games these days.

Like, the Hearthstone and Slay the Spire threads in G&T directed me towards Dream Quest, the G&T Steam thread got me interested in Loren, etc.

• Options
    GSMGSM Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    el_vicio wrote: »
    I played AC3 to completion on PC without issues

Ok, I'll reinstall my copy and record the screen, because my last attempt to play that game had characters T-posing in moving wagons, teleporting around, falling through the world, and the physics seeming to run in reverse. It was a complete nightmare and put me off the series for good.

And I should note, I was playing the game after they gave it away for free (years after release).

GSM on
    We'll get back there someday.
  • Options
    NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    SLyM wrote: »
    I am somewhat intrigued by god eater 3. I really enjoyed monster hunter and adding more rpg to that could be fun. I'm not usually a huge fan of anime stories, and it seems like it has a very anime story.
    on the other hand, I tend to like anime tiddy, and it seems to also have that in spades
    has anyone played it and have a recommendation?

So I’ve only played the first two, but in the small mon-hun clone subgenre they are probably the best. The plot is maximum anime stupid, but there is actually a continuous plot and the RPG elements are well done. Combat is also pretty good. There’s less weapon options than MH but there’s a lot of customisation elsewhere. The monster designs are kinda neat and really unlike anything in monster hunter itself.

• Options
    el_vicioel_vicio Registered User regular
    GSM wrote: »
    el_vicio wrote: »
    I played AC3 to completion on PC without issues

Ok, I'll reinstall my copy and record the screen, because my last attempt to play that game had characters T-posing in moving wagons, teleporting around, falling through the world, and the physics seeming to run in reverse. It was a complete nightmare and put me off the series for good.

And I should note, I was playing the game after they gave it away for free (years after release).

I'm not saying I don't believe you. It's just that this is the first time I heard of any issues with the port, especially this extreme, so I thought that the statement that the port is broken and doesn't work is not correct, is all. Sorry it didn't work for you.

ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    The story DLC for AC3 is still pretty broken on the PC. Even the positive reviews for the story DLC on Steam mention getting often pretty major bugs.
    This DLC is a crash fest and delirious, but I loved it. It adds a nice story unlike the original game, and you have superpowers which are really cool, because how else you're gonna fight against the magic golden apple thing? A warning though: You will experience a lot of crashing which doesn't happen in part 2 and 3, and even an unfixed glitch some people reported about the last mission, which didn't happen to me. This DLC seems very rushed so the quality testing is obviously not there, but the story and playability is really nice. To activate this, you must enter the code given by Steam inside the "Additional content" part of the game, it does not auto activate which is really stupid cmon Ubisoft.

Couscous on
  • Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    "It adds a nice story unlike the original game" :mad:

• Options
    PeasPeas Registered User regular
    Norgoth wrote: »
    I am somewhat intrigued by god eater 3. I really enjoyed monster hunter and adding more rpg to that could be fun. I'm not usually a huge fan of anime stories, and it seems like it has a very anime story.
    on the other hand, I tend to like anime tiddy, and it seems to also have that in spades

So I’ve only played the first two, but in the small mon-hun clone subgenre they are probably the best. The plot is maximum anime stupid, but there is actually a continuous plot and the RPG elements are well done. Combat is also pretty good. There’s less weapon options than MH but there’s a lot of customisation elsewhere. The monster designs are kinda neat and really unlike anything in monster hunter itself.

You mentioned there being a continuous plot, do I have to play the previous two games to understand what is going on?

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    edited February 2019
    PJSXN8Nl.png

the winners of the steam awards were just revealed

they kinda suck

https://store.steampowered.com/steamawards/

Brolo on
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    ahahaha

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    BEST ENVIRONMENT 2018: A GAME FROM 2015

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    Only one of those games came out in 2018.

• Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    Best Developer? Sure, why not pick the people who don't believe in unions?

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Options
    TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    my expectations for a set of awards put together by steam were already abysmally low, and they still fell well short

• Options
    JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    Well nice that Odyssey got something even it was the least 'alternate history' out of all the options

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Options
    AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    wow that list is absolutely shit

• Options
    PerrsunPerrsun Registered User regular
    In this case, where “Love” actually means “squeezing every red cent we can from this audience”

• Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    that is... a list of games

sure does seem like Steam has successfully absorbed the bulk of the XBL crowd

• Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    Patch notes for Sunless games are always a delight
    When leaving the presence of the Pansekretis, if you were already in possession of your liver you will no longer have an additional liver inserted into you.

It is no longer possible to become trapped in the Trials of the Dead, however narratively appropriate that might be.

The Repentant Devil no longer lies about his qualifications when seeking employment.

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    Perrsun wrote: »
    In this case, where “Love” actually means “squeezing every red cent we can from this audience”

I dunno they do a ton of free content updates and are constantly sending me email offering me free GTA bucks. I think the F2P on that game gets kind of a bad rap.

• Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    GTA V makes mad bucks, they don't lose anything much by giving out free shit. I think the main beef folk have it is how predatory so many F2P games are. Plus it's Rockstar, and they deserve as much charity as I give CD Projekt Red.

Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    I will always treasure the moment I made Geralt speak the monster hunter language in MHW

they put a banner out for it in game that says "hey, if you want to get the best experience for this content you should switch to a real language"

ha ha

no

Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Doobh wrote: »
    I will always treasure the moment I made Geralt speak the monster hunter language in MHW

they put a banner out for it in game that says "hey, if you want to get the best experience for this content you should switch to a real language"

ha ha

no

Oh man does he still do it in his gravelly-ass voice, because that sounds amazing

• Options
    Tube wrote: »

I dunno they do a ton of free content updates and are constantly sending me email offering me free GTA bucks. I think the F2P on that game gets kind of a bad rap.

This is where subjectivity of the category can play a huge part. When I read “labor of love” I think of a game that maybe isn’t doing gangbusters profit, but still puts out content. Stuff like No Mans Sky, where they just kept fixing it, or maybe Warframe, since it seemed to fall off the radar for quite a while and then they brought it back to being popular.

GTA might keep putting out content, but it doesn’t feel like they’re doing it as a labor of love. Overwatch is the same for me: I love the extra stuff that they’ve added since launch, and it just keeps coming, but I wouldn’t call it a labor of love.

• Options
    Moriveth wrote: »

ha ha

no

Oh man does he still do it in his gravelly-ass voice, because that sounds amazing

pretty sure it's the japanese VA

because the made-up language sounds entirely like fake-Japanese as envisioned by native Japanese speakers

Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Moriveth wrote: »

ha ha

no

pretty sure it's the japanese VA

because the made-up language sounds entirely like fake-Japanese as envisioned by native Japanese speakers

Ah, true

Still

Now I really want to have Geralt cross over into The Sims because I want to hear him speak in Simlish

• Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular

@SLyM let me do some digging tonight. I'm pretty sure I have a DRM-free version of one of the first two you can give a run (not pirated; just via GOG or similar without DRM)

• Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    Also thanks to @Brolo I picked up Euclidean Skies this morning. Excited to give it a run tonight!

• Options
    el_vicioel_vicio Registered User regular
    I played a few minutes of God Eater 2, the vocabulary immediately turned me off. Granted, that was just a few months(?) before MH:W came out, so I might have been less patient than I could have been, but I couldn't deal with it

ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    GTA V makes mad bucks, they don't lose anything much by giving out free shit. I think the main beef folk have it is how predatory so many F2P games are. Plus it's Rockstar, and they deserve as much charity as I give CD Projekt Red.

I agree with this. I don't give them a lot of credit generally (and GTA Online's online infrastructure is an absolute failure), but I do find that as F2P games go it's not a particularly predatory one and it's definitely realistic to play it without ever spending any real currency.
    Tube wrote: »

This is where subjectivity of the category can play a huge part. When I read “labor of love” I think of a game that maybe isn’t doing gangbusters profit, but still puts out content. Stuff like No Mans Sky, where they just kept fixing it, or maybe Warframe, since it seemed to fall off the radar for quite a while and then they brought it back to being popular.

GTA might keep putting out content, but it doesn’t feel like they’re doing it as a labor of love. Overwatch is the same for me: I love the extra stuff that they’ve added since launch, and it just keeps coming, but I wouldn’t call it a labor of love.

I think this is entirely correct TBH. It's a really ridiculous game to give that prize, it makes a fucking fortune. I'd probably give it to Total Warhammer 2 (of the games I played that year). CW consistently puts out free updates and patches new features onto old factions, and every paid DLC comes with something that's 100% free.

• Options
    IronKnuckle's GhostIronKnuckle's Ghost Registered User regular
    Peas wrote: »

You mentioned there being a continuous plot, do I have to play the previous two games to understand what is going on?

The plot is that the world ended, gods are bad and hungry, and you have a magic bracelet which lets you eat gods and also carry person-sized weapons. It's Monster Hunter with a party. And, incredibly, nobody has mentioned how you can design your own bullets. Make them curve around to your heart's content! Make them split apart! Make them heal bullets and then shoot your friends with them.

• Options
    TamerBillTamerBill Registered User regular

The plot is that the world ended, gods are bad and hungry, and you have a magic bracelet which lets you eat gods and also carry person-sized weapons. It's Monster Hunter with a party. And, incredibly, nobody has mentioned how you can design your own bullets. Make them curve around to your heart's content! Make them split apart! Make them heal bullets and then shoot your friends with them.

To be a little less flippant about the lore; basically the planet Earth has had enough of humanity and wants to start the whole world over again. To do this it creates monsters called Aragami out of nanomachines called Oracle Cells. Oracle Cells can devour anything, and Gaia's endgame is a grey-goo scenario where all life gets devoured and remade. Humanity fights back by injecting children with Oracle Cells to create supersoldiers and arming then with artificial weapon-shaped Aragami called God-Arcs.

3DS Friend Code: 4828-4410-2451
  • Options
    NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    Can’t say about 3 but the previous 2 are fairly self contained as stories. There is some recurring cast though.

When I meant continuous I mean like there’s connecting tissues between most missions, talking to NPCs and cutscences and so on .

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular

Bullet editing always seemed underwhelming though as anything fancy got ridiculously expensive to fire and drastically underperformed a shotgun to the face.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    djmitchelladjmitchella Registered User regular
    YaYa wrote: »
    I have a question and it may just end up referring me to another thread

how on earth do people find good iOS games? Metacritic is functionally useless for this

Other than the threads here, whoever writes for appunwrapper.com seems to have the same tastes in puzzle/adventure games that I do so for me that's been a decent source of recommendations; pockettactics.com if you like tactics-y games, though they like their games more difficult than I do; toucharcade.com is a decent general game reviewing site, too.

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    so I'm playing this Devil May Cry 5 demo and it's...very odd

I don't have much history with the series other than playing DmC (which rules) and trying to play the older ones and finding them lacking, but there's certainly SOMETHING compelling about this, but the thing I find odd is that it seems very old-school, something about it feels like a PS2 game

the best I could describe this game is a blend of DMC3's gameplay with DmC's tone

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Mr. G wrote: »
    so I'm playing this Devil May Cry 5 demo and it's...very odd

I don't have much history with the series other than playing DmC (which rules) and trying to play the older ones and finding them lacking, but there's certainly SOMETHING compelling about this, but the thing I find odd is that it seems very old-school, something about it feels like a PS2 game

the best I could describe this game is a blend of DMC3's gameplay with DmC's tone

I thought the demo wasn't on PC?

DMC4 is one of my favorite games and 5 looks great.

Peewi on
  • Options
    Here is 1 code for the Sea of Thieves friends-play-free event. Event ends Feb 13.
    This is a code. Don't click this if you don't want the code.
    Loading...?

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    is it not? I'm playing it on Xbox but I assumed it was on PC as well

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    Apparently Capcom were afraid of it being datamined, so no demo for PC.

• Options
    McHogerMcHoger Registered User regular
    I don't know if you all have heard but System Shock 2 is pretty good.

This discussion has been closed.