As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Hiberno-Britannic Politics] My Better Brexit Deal Goes To Another School

• Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    The Times has got hold of some leaked DfT no-deal planning.

The Mail on Sunday is apparently running with the claim that there will be a June election, predicated on the assumption that the article 50 deadline will be extended and May will be able to secure parliamentary breaking for a revised brexit deal sometime in April. In the article itself they say that this is "a scenario that has been discussed" which would seem to fall some way short of reliable evidence for the claims being made. But, y'know, it's the Mail.

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    Would it be a proper vote, or just a non-binding referendum? Because we all know they don't really do anything.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    And now this from the Graun front page

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/feb/02/rebel-labour-mps-set-to-quit-party-and-form-centre-group

I know it's Saturday evening but it seems like the entire UK political sphere has been on the wine

• Options
    Desktop HippieDesktop Hippie Registered User regular
    I don’t want to alarm anyone but that Times article says part of the operation involves repurposed Cold War plans on how to evacuate the freaking royal family if the riots get too bad.

No... seriously UK. We’ve loved having a reason to laugh at you, we really have, but it’s time to stop now.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    I don’t want to alarm anyone but that Times article says part of the operation involves repurposed Cold War plans on how to evacuate the freaking royal family if the riots get too bad.

No... seriously UK. We’ve loved having a reason to laugh at you, we really have, but it’s time to stop now.

I keep hoping somebody, in either Labour or Tory leadership, starts looking at the contingency plans for Brexit and thinks "Wow, wtf are we even doing if this is what we need to prepare for?"

• Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    I am a dirty yank with no idea of how British contingency plans work. But I know that the US military has contingency plans for all sorts of random shit, like if we get invaded by France or if we go to war with Canada.

Does the existence of "evacuate the royal family" plans in this sort of thing actually mean they think that is somewhat likely, or is it just an exhaustive list of every possible outcome, no matter how remote?

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    Exhaustive planning, a british hallmark.

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    It's in The Guardian now too, admittedly because they're reporting on what the other papers are saying. It was the Mail and the Sunday Times, apparently.
    “These emergency evacuation plans have been in existence since the cold war but have now been repurposed in the event of civil disorder following a no-deal Brexit,” the Sunday Times said, quoting an unnamed source from the government’s Cabinet Office, which handles sensitive administrative issues.

The Mail on Sunday also said it had learnt of plans to move the royal family, including Queen Elizabeth, to safe locations away from London.

Jacob Rees-Mogg, a Conservative MP and keen supporter of Brexit, told the Mail on Sunday he believed the plans showed unnecessary panic by officials over a no-deal Brexit as senior royals had remained in London during bombing in the second world war.

Oh, well, if JRM says so that's alright then.

These f'n guys.

Edit: Just saw this pop up in my Start Menu on the live tile I foolishly still have on. Choice quote (bolding mine):
    Mrs May added that while Jeremy Corbyn, the Labour leader, did not back her plan in a crunch Commons vote, he does support her bid to win new protections to ensure the backstop deal - a customs plan to avoid a "hard" border between Ireland and Northern Ireland if a free trade deal between the UK and EU is not reached - is not permanent.

Jazz on
  • Options
    pezgenpezgen Registered User regular
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    I am a dirty yank with no idea of how British contingency plans work. But I know that the US military has contingency plans for all sorts of random shit, like if we get invaded by France or if we go to war with Canada.

Does the existence of "evacuate the royal family" plans in this sort of thing actually mean they think that is somewhat likely, or is it just an exhaustive list of every possible outcome, no matter how remote?

I imagine that contingency plans for things like this already exist, so that’s not the issue. What’s concerning is that the plans might be needed as a result of a course of action the government is actively pursuing and could choose not to do at any point.

• Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    The MP of Shrewsbury spouts some nonsense

The MSP for Argyll gives him a kicking for it

• Options
    GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    They could have just as easily responded that they'd send a get well card when the door hits their ass on the way out.

• Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    American conservatives like to do that shit, too. "We saved the world during WWII! The world should kiss our ass forever because we're all wonderful! WHY IS EVERYONE SO UNGRATEFUL!!"

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    Kawczynski is a lunatic, one of the Tory party's extensive stable of stubbornly ignorant dickheads who will never, for the rest of their lives, change their dull, tiny minds about anything.

• Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    American conservatives like to do that shit, too. "We saved the world during WWII! The world should kiss our ass forever because we're all wonderful! WHY IS EVERYONE SO UNGRATEFUL!!"

Meanwhile Russia suffered through something like 50 times as many deaths to end the war, and we continually give their efforts short shrift.

If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    There's a stubborn strain of resentment towards the EU that's rooted firmly in the feeling that since we (by ourselves, no help from anyone) won WWII no one on the continent should be anything other than obsequious and fawningly grateful towards us forever. The EU flies in the face of that feeling of entitlement.

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Bogart wrote: »
    There's a stubborn strain of resentment towards the EU that's rooted firmly in the feeling that since we (by ourselves, no help from anyone) won WWII no one on the continent should be anything other than obsequious and fawningly grateful towards us forever. The EU flies in the face of that feeling of entitlement.

Going to war with the Kaiser after they helped us defeat Napoleon? How ungrateful.

• Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    H3Knuckles wrote: »

Meanwhile Russia suffered through something like 50 times as many deaths to end the war, and we continually give their efforts short shrift.

As it should be: we honor the individuals who gave their everything, not the regimes that made them do it.

• Options

A place and station to which your tradition and undying genius entitle you.

• Options
    NyysjanNyysjan FinlandRegistered User regular
    Aldo wrote: »
    H3Knuckles wrote: »

As it should be: we honor the individuals who gave their everything, not the regimes that made them do it.
    And on that note, US deserves zero gratitude.
    But the point is, that the west ignores Russian individuals and the sacrifices they made (if often unwillingly) in favor of going rah rah US/UK heroism.
    While ignoring Canada, Australia, India, etc...

• Options
    Let’s not get off topic with WWII discussion.

• Options
    SharpyVIISharpyVII Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    The Nissan rumour has now been confirmed:

Brexiters are doing their best to convince people this has nothing to do with Brexit.

Relevant quote:
    The Japanese firm said: “While we have taken this decision for business reasons, the continued uncertainty around the UK’s future relationship with the EU is not helping companies like ours to plan for the future.”

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2019/feb/03/nissan-confirms-new-x-trail-will-not-be-built-in-sunderland?CMP=fb_gu

SharpyVII on
  • Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular
    The recent EU/Japan trade deal is also lowering tariffs on cars to almost nothing by the way, so crashing out with no deal will probably kill foreign automotive investment in the UK.

Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Options
    BBC wants to keep broadcasting, looking for new locations to get licenses. https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/jan/24/bbc-international-hq-belgium-brexit-netherlands-ireland-eu

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Shadowen wrote: »
    The MP of Shrewsbury spouts some nonsense

The MSP for Argyll gives him a kicking for it

It's the next day and he's still being a dingus about it. He was a phone-in guest on a radio program. This text summary isn't quite what happens; the MP starts objecting to going into what he said and does eventually hang up, without saying he was factually incorrect.
    "Would you like to apologise for misleading your Twitter followers?" @AlexisConran gave @DKShrewsbury the chance to clarify his tweet saying there was 'no Marshall Plan for us.' He decided to hang up.

• Options
    Bunch of people started tweeting "you need to get out more" at Kawczynski after noticing that's his third most common response to people, after silence and running away.

• Options
    He’s a fucking prick and will no doubt get elected until he dies.

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    What the hell is in the water over in Shrewsbury then?

• Options
    CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »

Something that allows decrepit, aged corpses to continue shambling into the voting booth long after their brains have died.

• Options
    NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    Casual wrote: »

Something that allows decrepit, aged corpses to continue shambling into the voting booth long after their brains have died.

T(eresa May) Virus.

• Options
    fedaykin666fedaykin666 Registered User regular
    Casual wrote: »

I understand the sentiment and demographic voting evidence supporting the statement, but I am a bit uncomfortable with blaming old people as a group. There are plenty of smart, decent elderly voters and I certainly had to purge my social media of young, allegedly educated racist morons wriring about immigrants damaging the NHS and economy, disregarding any evidence on the subject. In short, I think it's easy to let our frustration turn into a bit of ageism, even if there is truth to it?

It is a huge question why our level of political discourse, ability to detect propaganda or understand evidence on any topic seems to be extremely low. Heavily funding education with teachers as a high-pay high-status job, a good national curriculum, copy pasting best practices from high-performing Scandivanian countries and giving organisations like ICO actual power to deal with dodgy propoganda peddlers instead of the laughable fine given to vote leave might be a start ? I don't really know what I'm talking about on this topic, but probably the opposite of the current administration's policy on any given issue could serve as a starting point.

• Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    btw for those thinking that may getting her withdrawal agreement through parliament is game over; the withdrawal agreement has a counterpart implementation bill (the waib) which also needs to pass before the deal is counted as done. this contains, in effect, reimplmentations of chunks of the european communities act in slightly modified form to guarantee the uk paying money to the eu during the implementation period, making sure the ecj has oversight over the areas that we are still in effect in the eu in, and so on

even if may gets her wa through, the waib might well founder in parliament repeatedly because it is full of things that all the brexit nutcases loathe and labour might just vote against it on principle - giving money to the eu, ecj control, etc etc...

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    also for those interested peston saying that most senior cons expect a brexit delay announcement soon:

https://www.facebook.com/1498276767163730/posts/2270029333321799/
    Here is what members of the cabinet said to me when I pointed them towards a statement made in the Sunday Telegraph by the prime minister that she is "determined to deliver Brexit and determined to deliver on time - on March 29 2019".

"Farcical" said one. "Total delusion" said another. "Verifiably untrue" said a third.

It's not that they doubt Theresa May is working to take the UK out of the EU. It's just they cannot see how it is remotely possible that departure can be achieved in the less than eight week remaining before the official leaving day.

And unless she is explicitly saying that she is now working for the most chaotic no-deal Brexit imaginable, which they don't believe is yet official policy, then they just cannot conceive how 29 March is a realistic date - because there is massively too much legislation to pass through parliament....

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Which they don't believe is yet official policy

Problem is it really feels like a greater than zero percent chance of it becoming official policy.

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    The most annoying thing about the Nissan announcement is that the people who work there overwhelmingly voted to leave, as did their families and communities

It's not like we're trying to persuade people not to act in their own self-interest for the good of all here

You're literally trying to persuade people not to make themselves unemployed when you are trying to convince these people that leaving is bad. I have a mortgage. I work in the finance industry, providing services to international companies who have a legal requirement to provide the benefits that we then administrate. For me to lose my job would require a level of financial chaos that I can't foresee happening. When Brexit goes ahead, I won't be losing out. It's these muppets who work in foreign company owned factories or agriculture who voted to leave and then, oh my! Oh goodness! This is going to fucking shaft you!

I try, very hard, to be sympathetic. It is not necessarily fair to blame people who voted leave and lose their jobs for their own problems.

It would be extremely fucking satisfying to do so though

• Options
    edited February 2019
    pmfreyybxrau.png

marcus fucking fysh. are they serious? oh wait of course theyre not

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    It really seems like No Deal will be the outcome simply because every other option actually requires them to actively do something.

• Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    I bet March 2019 sounded really far away back then. Plenty of time to do everything.

• Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    also for those interested peston saying that most senior cons expect a brexit delay announcement soon:

https://www.facebook.com/1498276767163730/posts/2270029333321799/
    Here is what members of the cabinet said to me when I pointed them towards a statement made in the Sunday Telegraph by the prime minister that she is "determined to deliver Brexit and determined to deliver on time - on March 29 2019".

"Farcical" said one. "Total delusion" said another. "Verifiably untrue" said a third.

It's not that they doubt Theresa May is working to take the UK out of the EU. It's just they cannot see how it is remotely possible that departure can be achieved in the less than eight week remaining before the official leaving day.

And unless she is explicitly saying that she is now working for the most chaotic no-deal Brexit imaginable, which they don't believe is yet official policy, then they just cannot conceive how 29 March is a realistic date - because there is massively too much legislation to pass through parliament....

In related news, there won't be school tomorrow because I haven't done my homework yet.

• Options
    daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    Which they don't believe is yet official policy

Problem is it really feels like a greater than zero percent chance of it becoming official policy.

This government hasn't really had anything like a real policy on Brexit. All they've had is a burning desire to leave the EU backed up by a complete lack of planning, research, or thought.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • Options
    PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    Where are all the business interests which can't be in favour of no deal

Does nationalism trump capitalism so completely or what

This discussion has been closed.