As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

join us in glorious pod-hood [jobs]

• StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    I ended up leaving work for about 40 minutes to calm down and then go to Target across the street for bleach wipes and new Kleenex. Had to wipe my desk and chair down before I was comfortable. Skipped my paid 15 minute breaks and took my unpaid 30 minute lunch but I doubt it will matter.

Not sure how much trouble I'll get in if any but hopefully I'll know by tomorrow.

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    Re: amex

Apparently any payments you make go first towards the pay over time balance and not your monthly charge balance so my pay over time balance is zero but now the statement I just got today wants the entire last months charge balance in two weeks.

• JansonJanson Registered User regular
    I survived today!

• BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    So because of overtime I had to only go into work for 3 hours today
    A hour about after I clocked in the overnight manager asked if I was going to try for the lead support job. I told her I don't know. She followed up with what do I have to do to have you try for it? As both of us know this is unacceptable motioning to the floor and the crew goofing off

• SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Just got off work, now I have 11 days until I have to show up again. Woo!

sig.gif
  • Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Work was hectic this morning. Came close to just mowing customers down with my trolley a few times. I don't understand why people walk so slowly around a supermarket. Or stand in a way to take up the maximum quantity of aisle at any time. Or block shelves for ages while trying to decide which particular flavour of mouthwash to buy.

• godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    Hello vacation thread

I got stranded in Jersey last night because my flight home was cancelled, then they put.me.on standby and I didn't get a seat because there were so many people on the list.
    Now I'm in New York and hopefully.flying home in a few hours. If everything works out, I'll only have lost a little over half a day for vacation instead of more, but good gried I'm ready to get home. I started this trip at approximately 10PM Thursday and we're now at 6AM Saturday.

• AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    godmode wrote: »
    Hello vacation thread

I got stranded in Jersey last night because my flight home was cancelled, then they put.me.on standby and I didn't get a seat because there were so many people on the list.
    Now I'm in New York and hopefully.flying home in a few hours. If everything works out, I'll only have lost a little over half a day for vacation instead of more, but good gried I'm ready to get home. I started this trip at approximately 10PM Thursday and we're now at 6AM Saturday.

I'm so sorry. Nobody deserves Newark.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    Just finished my last shift of the year. 17 days of sweet sweet freedom. Everyone was so excited to be leaving. Of course we saw those poor day shift bastards coming in to finish their last day and mocked them appropriately.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    Work was hectic this morning. Came close to just mowing customers down with my trolley a few times. I don't understand why people walk so slowly around a supermarket. Or stand in a way to take up the maximum quantity of aisle at any time. Or block shelves for ages while trying to decide which particular flavour of mouthwash to buy.

Oh jeez, I was just complaining about this yesterday. People are the worst

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    My wife works for one of the major craft store companies that also does custom framing. She came home last night half cackling half yelling about folks coming in wanting to get custom framing orders done with a 24 hour turn around.

She's like, "No it takes at least two weeks. The 24 hours is for standard frames that we add glass or mattes to."

Apparently these customers didn't like that option, and wanted their custom frames done in 24 hours.

You know, for the holiday.

My wife was the epitome of "smdh" and it was great.

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • TonkkaTonkka Some one in the club tonight Has stolen my ideas.Registered User regular
    One of our support tickets yesterday was someone asking how they add more email credits to our free plan.

Well, you buy them.

Steam: evilumpire Battle.net: T0NKKA#1588 PS4: T_0_N_N_K_A Twitter Art blog/Portfolio! Twitch?! HEY SATAN Shirts and such
  • Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Got a flat tyre this morning, so just had to replace a bike tube for the first time in years. Broke the bike pump in the process. I am way too grumpy today for this shit.

• JansonJanson Registered User regular
    Noooo! I’m sorry.

I got my first ever Christmas bonus... and it is instantly going on repairing my car from a really silly accident I was 100% at fault for. -_-

I was thinking of Monday off, but my assistant said ‘I’m excited to come in on Monday and help out!’, plus the other managers will all be working, so...

• Drake ChambersDrake Chambers Lay out my formal shorts. Registered User regular
    Janson wrote: »
    Noooo! I’m sorry.

I got my first ever Christmas bonus... and it is instantly going on repairing my car from a really silly accident I was 100% at fault for. -_-

I was thinking of Monday off, but my assistant said ‘I’m excited to come in on Monday and help out!’, plus the other managers will all be working, so...

Will Monday be a big day for you guys? Gift ... baskets?

Tomorrow's my last day until Friday, and there won't be any customers in the store until 10am which is when I finish, so it will be about 1000% less annoying than today. Thank the gods for Sunday trading laws.

• RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    In regards to social media...

I got temp banned from a minority Facebook group because i asserted that African americans could be manipulated by russian trolls, just as texans and muslims had been.

This was the subject of the article we were discussing.

This was considered heresy.

I also believe Huck Finn should be read uncensored in schools.

This also considered heresy.

What I'm saying that there are liberals, and then there are liberals.

• PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Royce I believe you fell for the oldest trick in the book. Everyone's opinion matters: unless it's different from mine.

• OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    Browsing stuff on indeed and come across this beauty:
    3 to 5 years’ experience in Data Science with focus on NLP
    Master’s or PhD in Computer Science, Statistics, Operations Research or related field
    Expert in at least one Statistical Programming Language such as R or Python
    Experience with relational and distributed databases
    Experience with any of the following is a big plus: PySpark, Scala, Zepplin Notebooks, Spark and MLlib as well as application development using AWS, Virtual Machines, or Docker

Job title: Summer Intern, Data Scientist

• Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    We didn’t get bonuses this year, I was really hoping we’d get em so I could buy gifts without feeling super guilty about my budget.

Used to be every year summer and winter but it just randomly stopped last year, which is a bummer.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Oghulk wrote: »
    Master’s or PhD in Computer Science, Statistics, Operations Research or related field
    Experience with any of the following is a big plus: PySpark, Scala, Zepplin Notebooks, Spark and MLlib as well as application development using AWS, Virtual Machines, or Docker

Oh hey wow fuck this forever

• KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    Bucketman wrote: »

Oh hey wow fuck this forever

I know. Who the hell considers Python a statistical programming language?

• minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    5 years experience and a PhD to be an intern?

Wow.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • QuantumTurkQuantumTurk Registered User regular
    5 years experience and a PhD to be an intern?

Wow.

*Sobs over incomplete thesis*

• TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    edited December 2018

Guys just be nurses. Get a bachelor's and you're set. Let's be a society of nurses, screw all this other stuff. Or just like, unionize.

Edit: please save a scree shot of that listing and post it every time someone complains about entitled mellenials.

TheStig on
    bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    I guess they're expecting the economy to tank any moment now and PHD's to become suuuper cheap.

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    I think that's a job listing intended to "prove" no one wants the job so they can get someone in on a work visa and pay them less.

• sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular

This makes me want to do physical violence.

• OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    sarukun wrote: »

Honestly this wasn't the worst part
    A typical day in the life of a Data Scientist:

Come into the office and catch up with your team mates about last night’s gaming session or the hottest show on TV (no spoilers until 24hrs have passed – after that: anything is fair game!)
    Check on last night’s Jenkins script and add some code to a project you’re working on
    Talk to one of your coworkers on the Call Center side about how to match the right advisor to the right player – this could be your next big project
    Take some time back at your desk to write up any notes and make a project plan proposal
    Attend a JIRA prioritization meeting to update work that’s in flight and plan for work to come
    Grab coffee and read up on any stats blogs or tech news you’re subscribed to
    Check out the model you deployed into production last month to see if it’s time to re-train
    Pull the latest changes on an NLP model you’re collaborating on from Stash and tinker with the parameters, then chat with your peer about the results of the tweaks and make plans for what to change next
    Spend a couple of hours heads down/headphones on getting series with an analysis.
    Finish the day looking over any code you wrote today, knit any Markdowns and make sure your documentation is up to snuff.

• JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Is "getting series with an analysis" a typo, or some terrible data science pun?

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • LuvTheMonkeyLuvTheMonkey High Sierra Serenade Registered User regular
    The latter, probably.

Molten variables hiss and roar. On my mind-forge, I hammer them into the greatsword Epistemology. Many are my foes this night.
    STEAM | GW2: Thalys
  • MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    edited December 2018
    Madican wrote: »
    I think that's a job listing intended to "prove" no one wants the job so they can get someone in on a work visa and pay them less.

This is the only rational explanation I could come up with, but then you've only gotten yourself the ability to hire under that exact title.

I would pay at least 150k for someone with that skillset.

Any less and you've either got someone planning to leave at the first opportunity or you've got someone who doesn't actually hold those qualifications.

MrMonroe on
  • sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular

Come into the office and catch up with your team mates about last night’s gaming session or the hottest show on TV (no spoilers until 24hrs have passed – after that: anything is fair game!)
    Check on last night’s Jenkins script and add some code to a project you’re working on
    Talk to one of your coworkers on the Call Center side about how to match the right advisor to the right player – this could be your next big project
    Take some time back at your desk to write up any notes and make a project plan proposal
    Attend a JIRA prioritization meeting to update work that’s in flight and plan for work to come
    Check out the model you deployed into production last month to see if it’s time to re-train
    Pull the latest changes on an NLP model you’re collaborating on from Stash and tinker with the parameters, then chat with your peer about the results of the tweaks and make plans for what to change next
    Spend a couple of hours heads down/headphones on getting series with an analysis.
    Finish the day looking over any code you wrote today, knit any Markdowns and make sure your documentation is up to snuff.

These people have to be stopped.

• KaplarKaplar On Google MapsRegistered User regular
    Not really an extended vacation, but I'm still looking forward to it. I go to work from 8:30am-noon tomorrow but get paid for a full day, and then have off Christmas and the day after. Time to finally play some of the games I recently got for ps4 :biggrin:

• CalicaCalica Registered User regular

"knit any Markdowns"?

• Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    synergize ALL the buzzwords!

• schussschuss Registered User regular
    Also they're implying some heavy data engineering work by a data scientist, which means their workflow and support is likely shit

• thatassemblyguythatassemblyguy Janitor of Technical Debt .Registered User regular
    synergize ALL the buzzwords!

This is good because synergize is a double-speak word for firing people.

• minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    I am exhausted.

And I am also feeling REALLY thankful that due to my birthday falling right after Christmas, I was able to score a vacation day off this week, despite it being during our company's blackout period.

I think I might just sleep that entire day.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    I really could do with some sleep. But wow yesterday and today were ran by idiots my not manager stole the radio from the backroom so he could listen to music while he worked. Customers it seems waited untiil the last moment to shop for food/baking stuff we sold out of sweetened condensed milk so fast. People would get upset we sold what we got in for the day. I have seen customers loot other customer's carts becuase they looked away for a second i will rant more later

This discussion has been closed.