Options

yeast-ken [chat]

• Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    I know he’s super old but Phillip looks like a straight up lich at this point

• Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    I am not really interested in seeing Serenity, knowing the plot.

But I would love to know how this got made.

Who put up the money. Who pitched this successfully. Who convinced Anne Hathaway.

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    SanderJK wrote: »

Who put up the money. Who pitched this successfully. Who convinced Anne Hathaway.
    knitdan wrote: »
    Zephiran wrote: »
    James Woods 100% needed that fucking money.

Nose candy ain’t cheap, baby

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    I’m not terribly interested in Prince Philip. It’s not like the ancient kept man of the Queen is going to be held responsible for his actions.

I would, however, like to know if anything will be done about the royal gamekeeper who allegedly struck a motorist with a stick and called him a “bloody peasant” because the gamekeeper couldn’t control his damn dogs.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    SanderJK wrote: »

Somebody really wanted to see their vision on the silver screen

And you know what they say

He who hath a will, hath a way

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    Feral

If I start driving right now I can be in Seattle in roughly 5 hours

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    @Doodmann after a long day of programming the glasses seem to have fixed my eye strain issue which is really great!

• Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    knitdan wrote: »
    Feral

If I start driving right now I can be in Seattle in roughly 5 hours

It'd be 3 if you didn't drive like a native Washingtonian

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    Pretty mad about needing a poop before I got to work. Ain't my style to poop on my own time.

Geth, recycle the thread on page 100 and move my digestive system on by an hour.

• Options
    GethGeth Legion Perseus VeilRegistered User, Moderator, Penny Arcade Staff, Vanilla Staff vanilla
    Affirmative Bogart. Thread will be recycled after 100 pages.

• Options
    TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    8tw69bwxz8d21.jpg?width=800&auto=webp&s=b5cc8bfa8f42d5b24a231aa35355c1eb7c0a5f90

• Options
    A 'Funko!' movie is in development at Warner Bros.

Of course there is.

• Options
    TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    Bogart wrote: »
    A 'Funko!' movie is in development at Warner Bros.

Of course there is.

*goes and grabs the flamethrower*

This has gone on long enough! We must burn it all down for their own good!

• Options
    bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    Remember there is also a Funko Gears of War game for mobile coming too.

• Options
    The idea sounds even more artistically inert than the emoji movie. It's a toy line with no story, no lore, nothing except a big head cute style of doll that is applied to the creations of other companies.

I'm not trying to diss anyone who likes the dolls. You like what you like and God speed you. But come on. A movie?

• Options
    Remember there is also a Funko Gears of War game for mobile coming too.

But the whole point of Gears of War is that they have tiny heads on massive bodies. Literally the opposite of Funko's style. Sacrilege.

• Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Bogart wrote: »
    The idea sounds even more artistically inert than the emoji movie. It's a toy line with no story, no lore, nothing except a big head cute style of doll that is applied to the creations of other companies.

I'm not trying to diss anyone who likes the dolls. You like what you like and God speed you. But come on. A movie?

The only way this could work is if they did like a Lego Movie / Kingdom Hearts? cinematic universe kind of thing where there's a rote-ass adventure story buoyed by popular characters and excellent, excellent jokes/writing

(I think the Emoji Movie is actually the most cynical and soulless possible franchise because it was straight-up postmodern in its complete lack of underlying signifiers to all its cultural signs -- its signs were literally just signs, in a very real linguistic sense (happy! sad! poo!) with no bedrock references. Actually the more I think about it the more it does seem like some nihilistic embrace of 20th century French philosophy where the text has no meaning outside of itself, etc etc, we live in a world of pure empty simulation, signs referencing other signs all the way down, blah blah)

also Gears of War is the chosen Funko; it will bring symmetry and balance to the figure as it was destined to

Eddy on
    "and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options
    Underpinning the Lego movie is the physical reality of the toy itself and the imagination it enables and encourages. A toy that thrives on the invention of the person playing with it, and not only that they made imagination vs strict rules the literal plot of the movie. And then they went even further and managed to make it about a dad and his son and their bonding over their mutual love of the toy. You can excavate themes, joy and wonder from Lego. I dunno what you can get out of Funko Pops beyond, I dunno, collecting things? The joy of a wall of unopened Funko boxes.

• Options
    P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    simonwolf wrote: »
    P10 wait I have jury duty tomorrow!!
    twinsies

Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • Options
    jesus thursday morning the windchil is going to be -38c

that has to be cold enough for schools to close its inhumane to make a kid walk in that.

• Options
    RonaldoTheGypsyRonaldoTheGypsy Yes, yes Registered User regular

that has to be cold enough for schools to close its inhumane to make a kid walk in that.

*end of the shining shot*

• Options
    evilbobevilbob RADELAIDERegistered User regular
    The only sensible reaction to the funko movie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1Sq1Nr58hM

l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    Good morning

I hurt everywhere. And I’m so full from Texas foodstuffs.

• Options
    Atomika wrote: »
    Good morning

I hurt everywhere. And I’m so full from Texas foodstuffs.

Hows the kiddo?

• Options
    edited January 2019
    I'm actually trying to think of another toy with the same absence of anything deeper than a style, and I can't. The blandest girly doll will have different outfits and accessories, their own names. The most derivative action man doll will have points of articulation, poses, etc.

A Funko Pop takes all of its narrative power from the identity of the doll, which has been created by someone else. They cannot be 'played with' easily in the traditional sense. No points of articulation, no outfits, no poses, no additional ephemera to use like a house, a vehicle, accessories, no narrative theme that is not also from the original character idea. They feel more like ornaments than toys, I think, and generally I believe that's their fate. Kids aren't smashing Funko Pops together in play. They're things to have, to collect, or maybe swapped, like Garbage Pail Kid stickers, except they're absent the invention of those stickers, and merely replicate something already created in a new and uniform style.

Funko Pops seem like a simplification and purification of the collectable artifact. Like stamps or trading cards, but less inventive. Appealing to as wide a base as possible by bringing in fans of any remotely fantastical story available. Invention within the form is strictly limited by the style, and the recognisability of the original creation must be maintained. And that uniformity of style and absence of invention is a selling point. See how they fit on the shelf, filling in space like perfectly aligned tetronimos.

I don't feel like there's a movie there, but I'm sure there are some good academic papers and interesting pop culture essays you could wring out of them.

Bogart on
  • Options
    wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    perhaps a funko pops movie could be a meta satire about joyless, dead-eyed consumerism

• Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular

Our windchill forecast for Wednesday is -49c (-57f).

Thankfully this usually only happens once a year and it doesn't look like it's going to last a week like it usually does.

Hell, if we hit the forecasted high of 11f on Friday it's going to feel like spring :P

• Options
    wandering wrote: »
    perhaps a funko pops movie could be a meta satire about joyless, dead-eyed consumerism

I mean, it would work pretty well, but I doubt that's the angle they're going with.

Maybe they could make it about how the brisk business they do helps keep lots of comics and boardgame shops afloat.

• Options
    simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
    I'm trying to decide what to wear for my jury duty tomorrow

A nice button-up shirt and chinos, or acid-washed jeans and a t-shirt with a partisan political slogan on it

• Options
    I'm trying to decide what to wear for my jury duty tomorrow

A nice button-up shirt and chinos, or acid-washed jeans and a t-shirt with a partisan political slogan on it

shirt with a Punisher logo on it.

• Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Funko pop
    More like
    Boringo pop

PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
    also when I was walking outside just now, there was a huge migration (?) of flying foxes heading eastward overhead

Like, thousands of them, in a steady stream flying out from the city

Weird!

• Options
    also when I was walking outside just now, there was a huge migration (?) of flying foxes heading eastward overhead

Weird!

Zombie outbreak

• Options

Weird!

This sort of thing is how disaster movies start.

• Options
    evilbobevilbob RADELAIDERegistered User regular
    Sleepy kitty.
    b1z8fq6s2mbv.jpg

l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    Honk wrote: »
    Funko pop
    More like
    Boringo pop

funko poop

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    i don’t mind funko pops

they’re no dumber than those hummel figurines my mom used to collect

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    wandering wrote: »

The movie brings together as many IPs as possible in a post-apocalyptic land where any group is potentially subject to the Frightening Undoing of Neurological and Kinetic Operations virus, and collected for study by a faceless corporation

The obvious twist is that the faceless corporation is sacrificing any FUNKOed society to a race of cosmic superbeings who keep the world of Popp Kulturr alive, and are harvesting the original creations of their predecessor race by processing them into a uniform structure to fuel their own planet of Quonn Sumerizm

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    Schools closed

*rap airhorn*

• Options
    I saw one of what I assume is the half dozen or so good Will Ferrell movies yesterday for the first time: Stranger Than Fiction. Not great, but good.
    It was beautifully aligned with its own plot, in that the sharper ending, where Ferrell would die, was rejected in favour of a fluffier one in which he lived, making the whole enterprise less satisfying.

This discussion has been closed.