Options

[Hiberno-Britannic Politics] Helter Skelter

• Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator Mod Emeritus
    Tastyfish wrote: »
    I'm not even sure why you'd go to see it right now in the cinemas, rather than waiting until the extended edition comes out with the revised ending.
    Other than you thought it sounded like it was going to be long enough already.

I was about to do mod-voice to say 'ha ha now get back on topic' when I realized the metaphor could be extended this far without much effort.

And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • Options
    AntinumericAntinumeric Registered User regular
    Linked from reddit - This is the sort of journalism we needed for the past oh, ten years?

Channel 4 news is the news arm of one of the UK's TV broadcasters.

I get incredibly frustrated when politicians aren't called out for blatant lies in interviews, but it feels like this is too late for the press to start making a stand.

In this moment, I am euphoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my intelligence.
  • Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited April 2019
    He's (almost certainly deliberately) misinterpreting the polls. Yes, a majority of both leavers and remainers each consider the WA a bad deal, but that does not equate to majority support for no deal. Let's say, as the leavers want to pretend, that the referendum was still an accurate representation of the public. 48% voted for remain, and it can reasonably be assumed that they would find any deal preferable to crashing out as it would be closer to remaining. So if the only options for Brexit where the WA and No Deal, if at least 10% of leavers prefer the WA, then No Deal support is a minority of the country (52-5=47, 5/52=9.6%). But the reality is many brexiters would still prefer a third option and refuse to believe that those are the only two that can be achieved, so No Deal is even less popular than that hypothetical.

While it's good the host called out the politician, it would've been better if he articulated why, instead of just shouting him down.

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    H3Knuckles wrote: »
    He's (almost certainly deliberately) misinterpreting the polls. Yes, a majority of both leavers and remainers each consider the WA a bad deal, but that does not equate to majority support for no deal. Let's say, as the leavers want to pretend, that the referendum was still an accurate representation of the public. 48% voted for remain, and it can reasonably be assumed that they would find any deal preferable to crashing out as it would be closer to remaining. So if the only options for Brexit where the WA and No Deal, if at least 10% of leavers prefer the WA, then No Deal support is a minority of the country (52-5=47, 5/52=9.6%). But the reality is many brexiters would still prefer a third option and refuse to believe that those are the only two that can be achieved, so No Deal is even less popular than that hypothetical.

While it's good the host called out the politician, it would've been better if he articulated why, instead of just shouting him down.

No one listens to long articulate arguments against blunt lies. That's basically why we are where we are.

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    Listen, 52% of the population clearly and explicitly voted for the most damaging exit possible, because that was clearly spelt out on the referendum question.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    Krishnan Guru-Murthy just sounds absolutely fed up of this shit in general. I can't really blame him and I can imagine a lot of journalists are feeling like that currently - I think Jon Snow was yelling at someone the other week, too?

• Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited April 2019
    Burnage wrote: »
    Krishnan Guru-Murthy just sounds absolutely fed up of this shit in general. I can't really blame him and I can imagine a lot of journalists are feeling like that currently - I think Jon Snow was yelling at someone the other week, too?

Yeah, but what does he know?
    Sorry, not sorry.

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    Personally I think Krishnan handled it well and Redwood looked like a tit mumbling about "polls he's seen" but can't back up. He looked like a man caught in a lie he couldn't back up.

• Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    Casual wrote: »
    Personally I think Krishnan handled it well and Redwood looked like a tit mumbling about "polls he's seen" but can't back up. He looked like a man caught in a lie he couldn't back up.

It’s amazing how sometimes people look like exactly what they are

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    ArchangleArchangle Registered User regular
    H3Knuckles wrote: »

This is a continual problem of the current "Alternative Facts" era of politics. The interviewee throws out a "fact" in the middle of an exchange that the interviewer knows is blatant lies.

The problem is that the interviewer often isn't sure what the correct version is off the top of their head - they don't want to say "it's actually y" when they're only 70% sure it's y and potentially damage their credibility. The interviewer could try explaining the principle why the "fact" is wrong - but the adage "if you're explaining, you're losing" applies, as it comes across as "x COULD BE y if you do a, b, and c...(and the audience loses attention)" compared with the interviewee's succinct soundbyte "x IS z".

In an ideal world, the interviewer would be able to cite the statistics straight back and directly replace the lie with the correct information for the audience, but unfortunately it is exceptionally rare with the hundreds of issues and potential data points that get gish galloped that the interviewer can do this in the heat of the moment. Stephen Colbert had to stall for time with a commercial break for his team to fact-check when Chris Wallace started citing blatantly incorrect immigration statistics back in November, but in that case he had a captive interviewee who wasn't going anywhere in front of a studio audience. For most situations, the best the interviewer can do is say "no, you're wrong" and just shut the segment down because it's obviously in bad faith and unproductive - which is what happened in this case.

• Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    edited April 2019
    this has partly been caused by a particularly badly worded yougov poll

the yougov poll had a first choice brexit outcome - ie what is your preferred outcome for brexit:

kmk1mq7r5gej.png

however, what people were quoting when reporting on the poll was this specific question:

do6optif9v8o.png

ie what should we do if the eu refuse us an extension... which is if you think about it quite different, and more importantly has a monster chunk of dont knows

as a bonus

mv3wty0cv3jh.png

this is of course compounded by yougov pulling conservative in general but who cares, THE PUBLIC WANT NO DEAL LADS

also 13% think its an "acceptable compromise"

?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????? yougov.jpg

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    We live in the era of compromise meaning I get everything I want, so in that light no deal is a great compromise.

• Options
    CroakerBCCroakerBC TorontoRegistered User regular
    We live in the era of compromise meaning I get everything I want, so in that light no deal is a great compromise.

Poll actually only returned by one T. May, Downing St.

• Options
    FryFry Registered User regular
    I wonder if framing it as "deal or no deal" this whole time hasn't been a terrible idea. Numbers might look a lot different if it was "plans or no plans", "arrangements or no arrangements", etc

• Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    edited April 2019
    Fry wrote: »
    I wonder if framing it as "deal or no deal" this whole time hasn't been a terrible idea. Numbers might look a lot different if it was "plans or no plans", "arrangements or no arrangements", etc

"its just like a negotiation u have to be willing to walk away from the table" - one thousand idiots, the uk, 2019

EDIT: "im asking u for a bunch of favours; but if u dont give them to me... im willing to ask for NONE and get NOTHING... DARE U CALL MY BLUFF"

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    altidaltid Registered User regular
    It's both absurd and terrifying that this time next week we could have crashed out of the EU. Is it really that hard to understand that, even in ideal circumstances, this is a change so large and complicated that to do it would take years or decades to do? It's made all the more absurd by the fact that the UK hasn't made an ounce of progress or had any sense of direction since the damned referendum!

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    "pain or no pain"

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    I'm not feeling the same sense of dread anticipation that I was as March 29th approached, but honestly I think that's me feeling more fatalistic about it than any genuine sense that of course it will be averted. Even though it might. Maybe even probably will be.

I'm not posting in this thread all that much at the moment but I'm reading every post. You guys cover everything so well, I don't feel I have a ton to add besides the odd "agree" or "awesome". But I'm still here.

You lot are both my best information source and aggregator, and a bastion of sanity in a world that feels like it's gone completely mad. So thank you all.

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    altid wrote: »
    It's both absurd and terrifying that this time next week we could have crashed out of the EU. Is it really that hard to understand that, even in ideal circumstances, this is a change so large and complicated that to do it would take years or decades to do? It's made all the more absurd by the fact that the UK hasn't made an ounce of progress or had any sense of direction since the damned referendum!

Apparently, for a lot of people, yes.

• Options
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-fv7HMD3n8U

this whole interview is worth watching

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    So apparently they've already started issuing British passports without 'European Union' written on the cover, since the passport office assumed for some reason that we'd be out of the EU by now.

Some people who've received them are apparently over the moon about it (while simultaneously being upset that they're still not blue, obviously), which just makes me think that could we just issue the new passports without EU on the cover and stay in that actual EU? It looks like that's what some people actually voted for.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited April 2019
    25:45 in that video is especially impressive: he explains that everyone in the EU expects the UK to be back at the negotiation table within weeks after No-Deal Brexit, desperate to try to move the UK closer to the EU again. It is wild to imagine that now, but a continued No-Deal Britain would simply disrupt the UK economy too much to be tenable.

Aldo on
  • Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    Aldo wrote: »
    25:45 in that video is especially impressive: he explains that everyone in the EU expects the UK to be back at the negotiation table within weeks after No-Deal Brexit, desperate to try to move the UK closer to the EU again. It is wild to imagine that now, but a continued No-Deal Britain would simply disrupt the UK economy too much to be tenable.

I'm not sure it really is, to be honest. Britain's massively divided about Brexit to begin with, and if there are immediate and visibly damaging negative consequences to leaving - exactly like you'd expect to see in a No Deal situation - then public opinion is going to swing dramatically against it.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Burnage wrote: »
    Aldo wrote: »

I'm not sure it really is, to be honest. Britain's massively divided about Brexit to begin with, and if there are immediate and visibly damaging negative consequences to leaving - exactly like you'd expect to see in a No Deal situation - then public opinion is going to swing dramatically against it.

There will be some that want to triple down, but "adequate food" tends to get the blood boiling

• Options
    SharpyVIISharpyVII Registered User regular
    edited April 2019
    The latest episode of Derry Girls is very relevant to the current Brexit discussion as it ends with the ceasefire being announced by the IRA.

Required watching for the Brexit nutters really.

SharpyVII on
  • Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GrZFRVd-cX4
    When Harold Wilson was Prime Minister, he said that anyone who claimed that membership of the European Community was a black and white issue was either a charlatan or a simpleton. [...] Which brings me to Mr. Boris Johnson.

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Head of the Army has released a video essentially bollocking the entire Army over these allegations

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mxLBLI1i-pM&feature=share

blimey haha

you wouldn't want to be those soldiers right now I reckon

• Options
    jaziekjaziek Bad at everything And mad about it.Registered User regular
    oh my god that is an awe inspiring telling off.

Steam ||| SC2 - Jaziek.377 on EU & NA. ||| Twitch Stream
  • Options
    halkunhalkun Registered User regular
    edited April 2019
    jaziek wrote: »

I want to preface this with letting you know I'm an American military veteran who did two deployments during the Gulf War. I also understand that military discipline is incredibly important. Lack of discipline within the armed forces can lead to breaks in cohesion, unit readiness, and can literally get people killed. I'm saying this because I want to get the point across that I understand what the Chief of the General Staff is saying. Using an image of Jeremy Corbyn, The Leader of the Opposition, for target practice serious business. These allegations are very severe.

I also understand that there is literally an ocean's difference between American and British military culture. Sometimes, what can be seen as quite normal, or appropriate may look strange to someone who does not participate in the culture proper.

All that being said, after watching the above video, I am having a good deal of difficulty articulating how absolutely silly this video looks to me, and I honestly thought it was a parody and was waiting for the joke. (This probably why they disabled comments on the video). I'm going to assume that the pose that the General is striking the the British equivalent of an American parade rest. No one in the American military stands like that unless they are pretending to be a 1940's super hero.

Another reason why this seems to strange to me, (and most likely other Americans was well), is because if this were to happen in the U.S., the person most likely to make a statement would be the Secretary of the Army, or Secretary of Defense. Both of these positions are held by a civilian who does not wear a uniform. They would also be making a statement from behind the White House podium with the Chief of Staff of the United States Army (A uniformed General) at their side who would take questions.

I also can't imagine the American public ever being directly addressed by a uniformed military officer unless some Very Bad Things were happening. (Something like if an armed change of management was going on).

I just wanted to say that to you guys, it was an incredible dressing down. To me, it was one of the weirdest things I've ever seen.

halkun on
  • Options
    altidaltid Registered User regular
    edited April 2019
    That statement is also addressing a serious sex assault case in the army:
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-47837499

It's an unprecedented statement, but a good move. At the very least it sends a signal from the top reaffirming what standards ought to be. My only disappointment is that he didn't mention the army's apolitical nature but I figured the video was aimed primarily at the sex assault case above. I did find his accent and delivery a bit unusual to say the least - the type of speaking doesn't really seem to be his forte, but points for the effort.

Edit: Just to add that typically the defence secretary would make a statement to the commons on military issues like this. This video isn't aimed at the public though - it's aimed at serving members of the army.

altid on
  • Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    Also I don't think standing hands-on-hips is any kind of parade stance

It is a pretty universal (for the UK at least) shorthand for "I am incredibly pissed off with you specifically"

• Options
    whole new set of labour antisemitism stuff for the papers tomorrow- resting on leaked material from corbyns office showing suppression of antisemitism cases and lots of general nonsense

the story that will Never Die

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator Mod Emeritus
    halkun wrote: »
    jaziek wrote: »

I want to preface this with letting you know I'm an American military veteran who did two deployments during the Gulf War. I also understand that military discipline is incredibly important. Lack of discipline within the armed forces can lead to breaks in cohesion, unit readiness, and can literally get people killed. I'm saying this because I want to get the point across that I understand what the Chief of the General Staff is saying. Using an image of Jeremy Corbyn, The Leader of the Opposition, for target practice serious business. These allegations are very severe.

I also understand that there is literally an ocean's difference between American and British military culture. Sometimes, what can be seen as quite normal, or appropriate may look strange to someone who does not participate in the culture proper.

All that being said, after watching the above video, I am having a good deal of difficulty articulating how absolutely silly this video looks to me, and I honestly thought it was a parody and was waiting for the joke. (This probably why they disabled comments on the video). I'm going to assume that the pose that the General is striking the the British equivalent of an American parade rest. No one in the American military stands like that unless they are pretending to be a 1940's super hero.

Another reason why this seems to strange to me, (and most likely other Americans was well), is because if this were to happen in the U.S., the person most likely to make a statement would be the Secretary of the Army, or Secretary of Defense. Both of these positions are held by a civilian who does not wear a uniform. They would also be making a statement from behind the White House podium with the Chief of Staff of the United States Army (A uniformed General) at their side who would take questions.

I also can't imagine the American public ever being directly addressed by a uniformed military officer unless some Very Bad Things were happening. (Something like if an armed change of management was going on).

I just wanted to say that to you guys, it was an incredible dressing down. To me, it was one of the weirdest things I've ever seen.

As an American who was never even close to wanting to serve in the military (and also disqualified from ever doing so), it looked kind of weird to me too. As someone who is essentially Joe Public as far as this kind of thing is concerned, I would expect to see the highest-ranking member of the branch in question making a statement, but probably not necessarily aimed at troops. I would expect to see the message to the troops as part of an assurance to the public that This Shit Won't Fly. To be fair though, I wouldn't expect those people to give a shit, much less make a statement pretending that anyone does or that anything will be done. I don't think that's just 2019 cynicism either. I don't know that I would have thought differently 15 or 20 years ago. I would have thought to myself "boy it sure sucks that nobody is even going to do anything about that." I think there is likely also a sort of unspoken(-ish) worship of the armed services among many here, which probably contributes to that. I don't have the perception of that being the case in the UK.

I assume that to UK people this does seem appropriate and the way it ought to be done, and if that's the case then it's pretty awesome that the problem might be sought out and dealt with.

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I dunno if the American reaction is really pertinent at all tbh.

• Options
    I have complicated feelings about these allegations being taken seriously when historical allegations apparently don't need to be, but I'm pretty sure different people made that decision.

• Options
    tynic wrote: »
    I dunno if the American reaction is really pertinent at all tbh.

It is definitely not any more than any other non-British citizen's would be. It doesn't matter at all. I don't know if any non-British-Military reaction is, since I think that was where the statement was directed, if I have that right. It is only relevant as a reaction to the message given, even if it's not an important internal one.

• Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular

This isnt any new stuff. But leaked emails about old antisemitism scandals. Its staggering when its gathered in one place.

If you want to click through, the full thread has Gabriel summarising incidents.

Gabriel is a reporter for The Sunday Times.

• Options
    That is some heavy reading.

• Options
    My gut is to say "dangit Jeremy could you just not" but the problem is he did "just not".

Jeremy could you just

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited April 2019
    Gvzbgul wrote: »

This isnt any new stuff. But leaked emails about old antisemitism scandals. Its staggering when its gathered in one place.

If you want to click through, the full thread has Gabriel summarising incidents.

Gabriel is a reporter for The Sunday Times.

Holy shit those are some insanely brazen anti-semites.

This isn't "Corbyn has a few bad associations", this is "Corbyn ignoring full on goddamn crazy jew-hating bigots and nazis".

I'm not sure how this is defensible.

shryke on
This discussion has been closed.