As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Xbox/XBL] Battlefront II SP Sucked (but Gavankar was great): A Retrospective

• Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    So, it begins? (H/T Gizmodo):
    Disney and Charter Communications are teaming up to fight account sharing in an attempt to prevent multiple people from using a single account to access streaming video services.

If you buy a Disney service through Charter, be aware that the companies will work together to prevent you from sharing a login with friends. Disney and Charter said in their announcement yesterday that they have "agreed to work together on piracy mitigation. The two companies will work together to implement business rules and techniques to address such issues as unauthorized access and password sharing."

Disney fights streaming account sharing with help from cable industry

“I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    Disney and Charter Communications are teaming up to fight account sharing in an attempt to prevent multiple people from using a single account to access streaming video services.

If you buy a Disney service through Charter, be aware that the companies will work together to prevent you from sharing a login with friends. Disney and Charter said in their announcement yesterday that they have "agreed to work together on piracy mitigation. The two companies will work together to implement business rules and techniques to address such issues as unauthorized access and password sharing."

Since we basically stood by while Disney became a near-monopoly in the whole of media (because "OMG X-Men in Avengers PLZ!"), it'll be interesting to see how this may influence the deliberate and authorized sharing of accounts used by Microsoft on Xbox (and Sony on Playstation, though admittedly I'm not as familiar with that). The Xbox video store is still mildly popular and, more importantly, gets modern releases on par with what you'd see in the Apple store, etc.--pretty sure it operates on the same account-sharing model that games and (most) DLC work on.

• Options
    edited August 2019
    All the consoles should be getting a Disney+ app too, would it be locked/linked to your gamertag/microsoft account?

tastydonuts on
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    I guess my long term plan of never buying into a streaming service is paying off!

• Options
    edited August 2019
    All the consoles should be getting a Disney+ app too, would it be locked/linked to your gamertag/microsoft account?

I doubt it--but I always presumed it work would just like all the other content subscription libraries, with a Disney+ account and password. I assumed this meant that Disney would be taking a much harder line to enforcement of device limits, etc., the way Netflix has tried but largely failed.

Not that it affects me, I'm not going to be getting it. The only video service I have is Prime Video, and that's only because I'm a Amazon Prime customer. But I do feel bad for all the parents who've insisted "There's no choice but to get it." I remember watching anime reruns and Kasou Taishou growing up, but apparently a carefully curated blockbuster library is a much healthier option for children.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    Synthesis wrote: »

Since we basically stood by while Disney became a near-monopoly in the whole of media (because "OMG X-Men in Avengers PLZ!"), it'll be interesting to see how this may influence the deliberate and authorized sharing of accounts used by Microsoft on Xbox (and Sony on Playstation, though admittedly I'm not as familiar with that). The Xbox video store is still mildly popular and, more importantly, gets modern releases on par with what you'd see in the Apple store, etc.--pretty sure it operates on the same account-sharing model that games and (most) DLC work on.

I don't get the blame in this sentence. How did you or I "stand by" here? Were we court officials with the power to decide antitrust legislation?

• Options
    edited August 2019

I don't get the blame in this sentence. How did you or I "stand by" here? Were we court officials with the power to decide antitrust legislation?

It's true that very little could be done, but it as I've complained in the past, it's incredibly disheartening seeing people who've previously followed media monopolies with Viacom and others in the US, and opposed them, immediately become starstruck by "think of what Marvel and LucasFilm can do now," as if that were a good reason.

There's boycotting, I suppose--I haven't seen a Disney film in theaters for a year now, at least--but in nothing short of millions that probably means shit-all.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Disney is trashing LA just fine. Also, their own IP. MARVEL will follow eventually amd this will sort itself out.

But not future streaming restrictions. Those would be fucked no matter what.

• Options
    Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular
    Ori and the Blind Forest on Switch!

https://www.polygon.com/2019/8/19/20811965/ori-and-the-blind-forest-nintendo-switch-release-date

how many times have i said that Ori would be the ideal game MS to put onto the Switch? glad to finally see it happen.

• Options
    That was announced several months ago, right? Or am I just really terrible at remembering barely useful release schedule information.

I don't own a Switch, and Ori never really grabbed me, but it's a good fit. "Bayonetta II should come to Xbox"-good fit.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Sure you weren't thinking of the first game coming to switch earlier in the year?

• Options
    wait, was it already announced? gonna feel a bit stupid if i forgot about that.

• Options
    Wait...but Ori in the Blind Forest is the first one. Will of the Wisps is the sequel, and hasn't been announced on anything other than Xbox (and Xbox on Windows 10).

It certainly could come to Switch. If we ever get a Bayonetta III, which seems unlikely, it'd take a remarkable lack of common sense to keep it off Xbox (and Playstation).

I could've sworn the first Ori was announced for Switch earlier this year, and we discussed it on earlier threads. :?

• Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    No, it was never officially announced before. Just heavily rumored for like, 6 months.

• Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    It was announced I thought back around E3 times, at least I thought. Still, it's exciting. Probably will be on Game Pass whenever it launches on Switch.

Edit: oh looking into it, it was leaked back in Feb

Local H Jay on
  • Options
    Wait...but Ori in the Blind Forest is the first one. Will of the Wisps is the sequel, and hasn't been announced on anything other than Xbox (and Xbox on Windows 10).

Oh right, my bad.

Doing since quick googling, it suggests it showed up in some UK listings back in February, but wasn't confirmed after that

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2019/02/ori_and_the_blind_forest_for_switch_spotted_in_uk_wholesale_database1

• Options
    Wow, they took that long for an official announcement. For shame, Microsoft, Nintendo, and/or Moon Studios.

Jay-kay. I'll definitely need to check out the DF technical breakdown for the Switch release. Platformers in general lend themselves pretty well to necessary visual reductions, though Ori is extremely memorable just for its visuals (I should probably sit down and play the whole game properly), and the last few big multiplatform Switch releases have had technical issues lately.

• Options
    Inside Xbox kicking off now.

https://mixer.com/Xbox

• Options
    edited August 2019
    Wraith260 wrote: »
    Inside Xbox kicking off now.

https://mixer.com/Xbox

Top for a briefly helpful thread title update from me.

EDIT: And remind myself to sign back into Mixer on my Android Phone. :?

Synthesis on
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    Hey, Final Fantasy X-2 cosplay!

tastydonuts on
  • Options
    Shit, Ape Out, DMC5 and Blair Witch coming to Game Pass.

• Options
    Ah, Age of Empires... *has flashbacks of cutting down all the trees, mining all the resources and otherwise reducing the maps to ruin*

If only there were a salt-the-earth option.

• Options
    Shit, Ape Out, DMC5 and Blair Witch coming to Game Pass.

and Stellaris: Console Edition, and Age of Empires DE coming to Game Pass PC.

• Options
    I was always curious to try Kingdom Come: Deliverance, but the numerous technical issues on both console and PC kept me away. Wouldn't mind seeing how it runs on Xbox One X, since I'm pretty sure it was enhanced.

• Options
    Ah, Gears of War Funpop Mobile Edition. At least it's stupid cute.

• Options
    That was the cutest chainsaw decapitation I've seen in ages.

• Options
    edited August 2019
    At least it finally has a release date.

Edit: also it's weird seeing a fascist army and a race of genocidal monsters rendered in such a cartoony way.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    Idriz Elba, Rosario Dawson and more staring in NBA Gaem, the story moad!

and Ernie Hudson?! lol...

also Urkel?

tastydonuts on
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    At least it finally has a release date.

Edit: also it's weird seeing a fascist army and a race of genocidal monsters rendered in such a cartoony way.

Star Wars did it first, with the army of disposable cloned war slaves and all.
    Hey, Final Fantasy X-2 cosplay!

Hey, where?

Synthesis on
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Wildlands 2: Tom Clanicer Ghostier Reconiest Wildlands

Synthesis on
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    I can't believe Ghost has more awkward running animations than The Division

edit: also I truly hate First Person shooter game trailers that show a ton of Third Person action.

tastydonuts on
  • Options
    Are we STILL doing slow covers of pop songs for video game trailers?

• Options
    for a second there i thought there were putting a Battle Royale mode into Ghost Recon, but i guess they're just using the shrinking play space mechanic in one mode.

• Options
    I should know better, but I'm still holding my breath for something, anything, for Flight Simulator.

• Options
    I should know better, but I'm still holding my breath for something, anything, for Flight Simulator.

PC gaming is big in Germany, so i wouldn't be surprised if they show something. of course that's assuming they have anything to show. don't think we got much of an indication on how far along it is in development at E3.

• Options
    "What would happen if a live-streamer militarizes their fanbase" is a fucked question to ask after we've gotten mass murderers shouting "subscribe to pewdiepie" before, you know, shooting a bunch of people.

• Options
    Wraith260 wrote: »

PC gaming is big in Germany, so i wouldn't be surprised if they show something. of course that's assuming they have anything to show. don't think we got much of an indication on how far along it is in development at E3.

We really haven't, and it's not like a flight simulator is an easy thing to show off development of that isn't purely engine related.

• Options
    edited August 2019
    Cross-console support coming to PUBG. (Very) Slowly but surely things are changing.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    Okay, that dark blue (indigo?) controller...is pretty damn nice looking.

Also, video clip of a controller designed to confuse detection by German Uboats back in 1942.

9ninuz4t3vbh.jpg

Synthesis on
  • Options
    this mafia tactical game looks interesting, idk if I'd play it, but definitely neat.

This discussion has been closed.