Options

[Xbox/XBL] Battlefront II SP Sucked (but Gavankar was great): A Retrospective

• Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    Reach is excellent and the characters are great, it's just odd they brought them out at all. I suppose it's a possible tie in for MCC on PC?

• Options
    chamberlainchamberlain Registered User regular
    I look forward to beating this game five times for every faction ending, and engaging in dumb relationship storylines in Greedfall.

edit: also need to go back and play The Surge... Elex too.

No no no. No one should play Elex. It's not the good kind of bad. It's just bad bad.

• Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    I look forward to beating this game five times for every faction ending, and engaging in dumb relationship storylines in Greedfall.

No no no. No one should play Elex. It's not the good kind of bad. It's just bad bad.

IDK, I think that Elex was a game whose reception somewhat suffered from "Souls-like" comparisons, because just the Venn barely overlapped the expectations were all there. I think the attack/defense system was also contrary to norms (you could 0 damage, right?), and leveling was bizarre too, from what I read.

Really thinking Remnant: From the Ashes, which releases tomorrow, is probably also going to eat it hard because it will be viewed as "SOULS WITH GUNS" and stuff. The Reddit already has a few complaints to that effect from the preview weekend. The biggest thing being it is a game that you literally cannot out-level new content. Every zone will be harder than your existing level, by design. You can also reroll (NG+) on demand.

Also kind of worried for Greedfall too, for a similar reason. Even though Bioware isn't really in favor right now, and CD Projekt Red doesn't really have something fresh in the water, it's going to run into people expecting that level, when it's a "49.99" game by Spiders.

tastydonuts on
    “I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    Yeah... I think Emile and Jun are the only ones that were memorable, and Jun (the sniper) only because he shows up in other media.

Come on now. Kat was also a really bad Warthog driver. Give her the credit she deserves.

• Options
    chamberlainchamberlain Registered User regular

IDK, I think that Elex was a game whose reception somewhat suffered from "Souls-like" comparisons, because just the Venn barely overlapped the expectations were all there. I think the attack/defense system was also contrary to norms (you could 0 damage, right?), and leveling was bizarre too, from what I read.

Really thinking Remnant: From the Ashes, which releases tomorrow, is probably also going to eat it hard because it will be viewed as "SOULS WITH GUNS" and stuff. The Reddit already has a few complaints to that effect from the preview weekend. The biggest thing being it is a game that you literally cannot out-level new content. Every zone will be harder than your existing level, by design. You can also reroll (NG+) on demand.

I don't remember anything souls-like about Elex. It was just an ugly open world-ish game with bad combat and worse controls.

But I will admit that slapping souls-like (or rogue-like) on a game is a great way to have me never play it, look at it, or give it the time of day.

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    I actually thought Kat was the most interesting member of Noble Team, if only for her dry-ish wit and prosthetic arm. It was kind of a low bar to clear, so that's no high praise.

And yes, she was a bad driver. Even by the standards of Halo 3.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Geoff Kieghley introduced Rod Fergusson as being from "The Collective" which, man, even professional shill Keighley can't be bothered to remember stuff about Gears.

• Options
    Geoff Kieghley introduced Rod Fergusson as being from "The Collective" which, man, even professional shill Keighley can't be bothered to remember stuff about Gears.

To be fair, it's among the most generic studio names

• Options
    edited August 2019
    The game The Station was produced by the studio The Station, because someone thought that was a good idea.

It's also Geoff Keighley. As long as I'v heard of him, going back to his TV days, I've never expecting him to be particularly good with details and names unless yours is "Hideo Kojima." Seems to be very good at running award shows though.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular
    if anyone is still holding out hope for a Sunset Overdrive sequel i've got some bad news for you, Sony have just bought Insomniac.

no real details about the deal just yet but i'm sure we'll hear more before long. and to bring it back to SO, the reason it was on Xbox was because Insomniac wanted to retain ownership of their IP, something which Sony weren't willing to agree to at the time. guess it didn't matter in the long run.

• Options
    NosfNosf Registered User regular
    That's unfortunate.

• Options
    I'm happy for more Spidey, but sad about no more Sunset Overdrive.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Curious if Xbox tried to grab them first but they got hit with a "Sony gets first dibs" clause like what happened with Respawn.

• Options
    edited August 2019
    Well, at least we saw it coming. Like, from really far away.

I might just lack imagination, but even if Insomnia has complete control of the IP (since these sort of things can frequently have weird, hidden caveats that leave both parties constrained), I really don't see Sony asking them to make Sunset Overdrive 2 and making it a Playstation exclusive.

Mostly, I'm pretty sure they're going to become The Spiderman+Occulus Rift Novelty Games Company. Which isn't a bad thing! People really liked Spiderman, and god knows Sony does too.

I'm more upset we're not getting an XB1X-enhancement for SO, but again, lack of imagination. I don't think we're getting a SO2 anywhere, much less as an exclusive.
    Curious if Xbox tried to grab them first but they got hit with a "Sony gets first dibs" clause like what happened with Respawn.

Speaking of Occulus Rift vaporware...who else tried to buy Respawn besides EA?

Synthesis on
  • Options
    I'm curious if Sony would sell Microsoft the Sunset IP. Not that Microsoft needs two neon super hero open world franchises with middling reviews.

• Options
    edited August 2019
    I'm curious if Sony would sell Microsoft the Sunset IP. Not that Microsoft needs two neon super hero open world franchises with middling reviews.

Neither does Sony (there's only so much neon glowy sparks to go around, right?), but I'd guess they won't. So, presumably no more SO anywhere.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    Yeah, they're probably just going to churn out Spiderman games until Disney decides that they want to do those themselves.

It's also amusing that Sony owns their IP anyway now though, wonder what would come of that. Not that it matters to me anymore.

edit: The possibility of Microsoft buying the IP from Sony seems interesting. But unlikely given Insomniac was supposedly waiting for Microsoft to greenlight the next Sunset Overdrive, and even if they did, could they capture the same tone with a different team?

tastydonuts on
  • Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    The difference between Crackdown 3 and Sunset Overdrive is that Sunset Overdrive is good

ok Crackdown 3 isn't bad but still

• Options
    Crippl3 wrote: »
    The difference between Infamous Second Son and Sunset Overdrive is that Sunset Overdrive is good

I'm loving these parallels. Though at least Second Son made Sony a lot of cash....despite being mediocre.

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Unfortunately Sunset Overdrive sold so poorly I doubt anyone's even remotely thinking about touching the IP.

(I kinda liked the game)

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    Yeah, especially when they're sitting on Marvel's Spiderman. This is Sony we're talking about here--they put the font on their console back when the games were trash.

Now the games are really, really good (I don't personally like them, but I felt the same way on PS2). I'm pretty sure Insomniac has their work cut out for them for the foreseeable future--not that there's anything wrong with that either. Security is security.

• Options
    I'm comfortable calling Crackdown 3 a let down. I wish the original concept had been fulfilled with all the destruction.

• Options
    baudattitudebaudattitude Registered User regular
    Until this page of this thread, I legitimately thought Insomniac was already owned by Sony. That’s the Ratchet and Clank studio, right?

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    I forgot Crackdown 3 already came out.

And just have Microsoft buy Arc System Works, Guilty Gear finally on Xbox One

• Options
    The whole thing reminds me of what happened with Ninja Theory. Critical artistic acclaim aside, I distinctly remember Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice only being middling sales as a PS4 exclusive, leading up to the quiet release on PC and then Xbox. Admittedly, as a action third-person hack-and-slash game with puzzle elements, it probably didn't have particularly high expectations of it. Since then, Ninja Theory's being acquired, though their last in-development title is remaining multiplatform.

Who knows, we might see Sunset Overdrive re-released on PS4. Though probably not.

• Options
    edited August 2019
    https://na.alienwarearena.com/ucf/show/2079495/boards/contest-and-giveaways-global/Giveaway/xbox-game-pass-for-pc-one-month-key-giveaway

Alienware is giving out free 1-month Game Pass PC codes, just under 5000 left as I write this.
    These codes give 20 days if you have Game Pass Ultimate.

Crippl3 on
  • Options
    As I think that a game in development getting dropped from multiplat to an exclusive would be exceedingly detrimental to the game's reception, I think they made the right move keeping whatever they're doing as it was. Plus there may be agreements and whatevers too at play that couldn't be changed.

I still haven't played Hellblade either, ha.

• Options
    As I think that a game in development getting dropped from multiplat to an exclusive would be exceedingly detrimental to the game's reception, I think they made the right move keeping whatever they're doing as it was. Plus there may be agreements and whatevers too at play that couldn't be changed.

I still haven't played Hellblade either, ha.

Most people haven't relative to its art-house fame. :P

And yes, keeping Bleeding Edge multiplatform (even though I don't think it's been formally announced for anything aside from PC and Xbox One) was probably a contractual concern, and even if it wasn't, probably a much, much safer bet for a multiplayer arena combat game.

• Options
    NitsuaNitsua Gloucester, VARegistered User regular
    https://na.alienwarearena.com/ucf/show/2079495/boards/contest-and-giveaways-global/Giveaway/xbox-game-pass-for-pc-one-month-key-giveaway

Alienware is giving out free 1-month Game Pass PC codes, just under 5000 left as I write this.

This is pretty awesome and a great find, but I think their account creation is broken because of this promotion. The email verification just keeps failing - page just won't resolve under any browser. Gonna keep checking though.

• Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    Honestly I loved sunset overdrive but I’m not exactly clamouring for a sequel, I’d be fine with a similar game with the same kind of vibe and gameplay, but nothing about the world itself was especially unique or gripping enough that I wanted to know more about the universe or anything.

A spiritual successor from another studio would be fine

• Options
    Nitsua wrote: »

This is pretty awesome and a great find, but I think their account creation is broken because of this promotion. The email verification just keeps failing - page just won't resolve under any browser. Gonna keep checking though.

I finally got it working...pardon my language, but those are some bitchy password requirements.

• Options
    edited August 2019

Witnesses noted that some employees seemed well aware of the news. Said another anonymous Insomniac worker, “Of course we weren’t owned by Sony. I worked my ass off for Sunset Overdrive, and that was Xbox-only. Remember?” However, an informal survey concluded that most employees did not remember Sunset Overdrive.

Crippl3 on
  • Options
    edited August 2019

Witnesses noted that some employees seemed well aware of the news. Said another anonymous Insomniac worker, “Of course we weren’t owned by Sony. I worked my ass off for Sunset Overdrive, and that was Xbox-only. Remember?” However, an informal survey concluded that most employees did not remember Sunset Overdrive.

FFS:
    The Hard Times is a very real punk news site that you should not question. Just absorb the information as truth and move on. The historic satire site was founded in December 1982 at 171A studios while the founding members were eating broken glass with The Bad Brains. It’s made by a group of punk and hardcore kids from all the different sub-genres of the DIY hardcore scene. Any resemblance to actual persons or band names is coincidental.

fake news! fake news!

tastydonuts on
  • Options
    I...assume it was intended to be satirical.

Note: satire is not required to be good or clever to be satire.

• Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    This one was pretty funny, though.

• Options
    Synthesis wrote: »
    I...assume it was intended to be satirical.

Note: satire is not required to be good or clever to be satire.

which is why we must stamp out bad satire with extreme prejudice!

• Options
    I thought it was pretty funny

• Options
    ArchsorcererArchsorcerer Registered User regular
    edited August 2019

That fake poll didn't even include Fuse. :P

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U-LKqt5eyhU

Archsorcerer on
    XBL - ArchSilversmith

"We have years of struggle ahead, mostly within ourselves." - Made in USA
  • Options
    RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    Did insomniac developed the playstation spider man games? If so I'd have assumed they were owned by sony

This discussion has been closed.