Options

[Washington]🦀Tim Eyman fined $2.6M, banned from directing political cmte finances🦀

• Options
    AimAim Registered User regular
    edited June 2021
    It's the one at the bottom of this website: kcvredmond[url][/url]
    I'm kinda surprised that no one has sued on a seperation of church and state thing for this yet. Like, "my religion says gambling is a sin and the government is forcing me to gamble by entering me in the lottery drawing" kinda thing

I'm assuming you can reject any awards?
    [Edit] more precisely, you'd need to accept the award?

Aim on
  • Options
    nusunusu Registered User regular
    edited June 2021
    I look forward to the gift cards for WA businesses being Starbucks, REI, Costco, and Nordstrom. I hope they're getting small, local chain restaurants, smaller stores, like Dick's Drive In, Rinconcito, various Teriyaki places, smaller coffee stands, Cinerama, and other similar places.

nusu on
  • Options
    Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    edited June 2021
    nusu wrote: »
    I look forward to the gift cards for WA businesses being Starbucks, REI, Costco, and Nordstrom. I hope they're getting small, local chain restaurants, smaller stores, like Dick's Drive In, Rinconcito, various Teriyaki places, smaller coffee stands, Cinerama, and other similar places.
    In addition to the above incentives, the Washington State Department of Commerce partnering with the Association of Washington Business (AWB) and local Chambers of Commerce will be purchasing $1 million of gift cards to local businesses through local chambers of commerce to be given away at vaccine locations. Commerce and AWB will be sharing additional details soon about the locations and dates where this program will roll out.

It sounds like it will be up to the local chambers of commerce to spend the funds so I imagine it will be spent on places like the latter. At least outside of metro areas.

Jubal77 on
  • Options
    SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    https://medium.com/wagovernor/inslee-announces-vaccination-incentives-3a3fc36a0c27

WOO I CAN LOSE SOMETHING ELSE NOW!

Lottery cash drawings, with prizes totaling $2 million
    Higher education tuition and expense assistance
    Sports tickets and gear
    Gift cards
    Airline tickets
    Game systems and smart speakers

Spoilers for the actual list of things you can win!

Cash prizes
    Starting next week, the Lottery will conduct one drawing for $250,000 every week for four weeks for all vaccinated individuals. At the end of the four weeks, there will be an additional, final drawing for a $1 million prize.
    Vaccinated Washingtonians don’t need to do anything to be entered in the four drawings. The Lottery will automatically gather names from the DOH statewide immunization database.
    The governor was joined by Marcus Glasper, director of the Washington State Lottery, for the announcement.
    “Washington’s Lottery is proud to partner with the Governor’s Office and the Department of Health on this important promotion,” Glasper said. “As the state’s principal agency on conducting lottery drawings, we are honored to be able to play even a small role in administering a promotion that helps ensure that our state’s residents are healthy and protected as we continue to move towards ending the pandemic.”
    Higher education assistance
    Inslee also announced a suite of higher education incentives, including tuition and book assistance at institutions across the state.
    Nearly $1 million will be dispersed directly to the public four-year universities and two-year community and technical colleges to run their own drawing for free tuition and expenses for vaccinated students.
    The state will also be offering 30 prizes of one year of tuition college credits to 12–17-year-olds through the Guaranteed Education Tuition (GET program). These credits will go directly to families.
    Tickets
    Also included in the incentives announced today are various ticket prizes offered by Washington companies and sports teams.
    Potential prizes include:
    Alaska Airlines
    2 free airline tickets to anywhere Alaska flies
    Seattle Mariners
    4 tickets to an upcoming game
    Full suite to an upcoming game
    Seattle Sounders
    4 tickets to a game in August, plus two autographed jerseys
    Seattle Storm
    10 tickets a game for the rest of the season
    Seattle Seahawks
    4 club level seats, plus parking passes
    Seattle Kraken
    Concert tickets
    OL Reign
    Four 2021 season tickets, plus a team-signed jersey
    Game systems and smart speakers
    The governor also announced that several technology companies are offering technology and software to help the state’s efforts to get people vaccinated.
    Microsoft will be giving away 300 Xboxs and GamePasses to vaccinated individuals, and Nintendo will be giving away Nintendo Switches. Google will give away 25 Google Nests and Amazon will be giving away 100 Echo Dots.
    Gift Cards
    In addition to the above incentives, the Washington State Department of Commerce partnering with the Association of Washington Business (AWB) and local Chambers of Commerce will be purchasing $1 million of gift cards to local businesses through local chambers of commerce to be given away at vaccine locations. Commerce and AWB will be sharing additional details soon about the locations and dates where this program will roll out.
    The Washington State Department of Health will also have $500,000 in gift cards to give away over the summer as part of their Care-a-Van mobile vaccination effort. The gift cards will be for different kinds of retail offerings — from groceries to fishing gear to top soil.
    The Washington State Parks will also be giving away 80 “one week of free camping” gift cards, worth $250 each, and the Washington Department for Fish and Wildlife will be giving away 80 $100 gift certificates for fishing and hunting licenses. Also included will be 400 Discover Passes, which allow access to recreation on State public lands.
    “Choices have consequences. The vaccine is our best and safest chance to get back to pre-pandemic levels of activity,” Inslee said. “It is a personal choice, but one that affects the lives of millions. The choices we make affect our neighbors, our friends and our families. So, I hope more people make the right choice, to learn more about the safety and efficacy of the vaccine, and to get vaccinated.”
    If you or a loved one has yet to get vaccinated, make an appointment at VaccineLocator.doh.wa.gov.

I hope the winners have the right to be anonymous.

Winning the lottery can seriously fuck up your life because of all the people who come out of the woodwork trying to take advantage of you even if you try to do everything right, and this is a lottery you enter without consent.

I suppose the winner can simply turn down the prize... but I don't think that's very likely.

• Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    Welp, this turned out to be the week the year to remind me why I hate living in a desert. God it was hot here this week. Broke a single day heat record on Wednesday, too, with a104F high. And with high winds pushing the heat away, now we get to be on alert of wildfires because they'll potentially spread fast as hell with the wind.

https://www.tri-cityherald.com/news/weather-news/article251868783.html

Combine that with a record dry spring we had, I predict a very smoky summer.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    How much are Mariner's tickets again? Is it possible to get into the game for < $20?

(from KUOW):
    The Mariners are offering another Covid vaccination incentive for fans at its games.

Fans who get their shots at T-Mobile Park between June 14-23 will get a free pair of tickets to an upcoming game and a $20 gift card from Amazon.

The team has been offering free vaccinations at the ballpark since May 4.

nusu on
  • Options
    TicaldfjamTicaldfjam Snoqualmie, WARegistered User regular
    How much are Mariner's tickets again? Is it possible to get into the game for < $20?

(from KUOW):
    The Mariners are offering another Covid vaccination incentive for fans at its games.

Fans who get their shots at T-Mobile Park between June 14-23 will get a free pair of tickets to an upcoming game and a $20 gift card from Amazon.

The team has been offering free vaccinations at the ballpark since May 4.

I absolutely love how the M's plans, always opens them up for a burn by @Preacher

• Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    I'd be more interested if for every fan that got vaccinated they force-vaccinated one Mariners player.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    admanb wrote: »
    I'd be more interested if for every fan that got vaccinated they force-vaccinated one Mariners player.

I mean shit maybe they can give them some steroids at the same time.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Hilariously either because of all the times I shit on the mariners or someone doing it as a joke. Now my personal email is getting like mariner deals emailed to me. Well played google/someone fucking with me.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    Preacher wrote: »
    Hilariously either because of all the times I shit on the mariners or someone doing it as a joke. Now my personal email is getting like mariner deals emailed to me. Well played google/someone fucking with me.

Don't look at me Preach! I wasn't the one, "Taking notes!"

Nintendo is right up the street. I blame them personally.

Ticaldfjam on
  • Options
    amethystoakamethystoak Registered User regular
    edited June 2021
    amethystoak on
  • Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    Does anyone know of decent Seattle area hikes that a three year old could handle? Preferably something that isn't going to be overly crowded? I used to do Tiger Mt, or Little Mt Si, but the first is now taken over by bikes, and the second was super crowded last I tried.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Brody wrote: »
    Does anyone know of decent Seattle area hikes that a three year old could handle? Preferably something that isn't going to be overly crowded? I used to do Tiger Mt, or Little Mt Si, but the first is now taken over by bikes, and the second was super crowded last I tried.

Have you considered the larger parks inside the city? Discovery Park and the arboretum are pretty kid-friendly walks with a lot of nature and not much in the way of crowds.

• Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    Discovery park? Frankly anything over a mile or I don’t think a 3 year old is going to handle without being carried

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options

Have you considered the larger parks inside the city? Discovery Park and the arboretum are pretty kid-friendly walks with a lot of nature and not much in the way of crowds.

I actually live a little ways south of the city, but I do have a couple parks in the area. I'll have to try and do that again soon (after hiding at our house all year), but also I miss being out in the woods/hills. Partly the issue is my dad/brother like to do logging roads, but those tend to be a little overgrown, and Sapling really doesn't like plants touching her.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

• Options
    edited June 2021
    Someone recently recommended a gnome trail in maple valley - it's pretty short, i think .6 of a mile, and has little gnome houses along the way. We haven't tried it yet. But sounds fun.

Aim on
  • Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    Aim wrote: »
    Someone recently recommended a gnome trail in maple valley - it's pretty short, i think .6 of a mile, and has little gnome houses along the way. We haven't tried it yet. But sounds fun.

We did part of that, it was fun yeah.

Important thing I think with toddler hiking is to enjoy the journey and don't worry about making it to the end. Let them have fun at their own pace and don't be afraid to turn around early

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options

I actually live a little ways south of the city, but I do have a couple parks in the area. I'll have to try and do that again soon (after hiding at our house all year), but also I miss being out in the woods/hills. Partly the issue is my dad/brother like to do logging roads, but those tend to be a little overgrown, and Sapling really doesn't like plants touching her.

The Park north of the Vashon ferry has some nice short trails as well.

• Options
    Red RaevynRed Raevyn because I only take Bubble Baths Registered User regular

Check out the kickass Japanese garden in Rainier Beach ("Kubota Garden") for another option with paths. It's very cool, free, and has ponds, fake mountains, waterfalls, etc.

• Options
    amethystoakamethystoak Registered User regular

Check out the kickass Japanese garden in Rainier Beach ("Kubota Garden") for another option with paths. It's very cool, free, and has ponds, fake mountains, waterfalls, etc.

We (@Brody & I) actually went there on a date for our first wedding anniversary and he got pooped on by a bird. XD

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    today in cop shitbird news:
    Eight Seattle police officers who registered to vote using the addresses of Seattle Police Department precincts instead of their home addresses—including Seattle Police Officers’ Guild President Mike Solan—will not face criminal charges. Instead, after an investigation by the Office of Police Accountability (OPA), two of the officers (including Solan) received one-day unpaid suspensions and three received oral reprimands; the remaining three officers retired or resigned before the investigation ended.

https://publicola.com/2021/06/14/morning-fizz-voting-police-shower-trailers/

• Options
    MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    Just because you resign doesn’t mean you should be off the hook for residency fraud

"Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
  • Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    Matev wrote: »
    Just because you resign doesn’t mean you should be off the hook for residency fraud

Doing crimes is ok if you're a cop.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    I think it's slightly less bad than that article made out... it's not a law in the city's jurisdiction so while technically the SPD could perform an independent investigation and then forward that info onto the county/state nobody really expected that.

Ofc it sounds like the county/state also aren't going to bother bringing charges but it sounds like that for invalid residencies they just tell people to fix it and never charge anyone.

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    evilmrhenryevilmrhenry Registered User regular
    The article indicated that this is a commonly violated and poorly enforced law, (I can see people not wanting their ballot to go to their house for the same reasons they don't want regular mail to come to their house, plus a few more besides) so I could see this as the kind of law where the default response to a first violation without any associated voting fraud is just to have someone come over and explain that this is illegal and they need to fix it. (Which is a reasonable type of law to have; not every broken law needs punishment.) I'll note that the actual punishments came from essentially "making the department look bad" instead of the actual law in question. So, this isn't an obvious case of police officers breaking laws without penalty that regular people would get prison time for.

Anyway, abolish the police.

• Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2021
    yeah I mean ideally this would be the kind of case where you do enforce the law, cause cops are held up to a higher standard of accountability

wait why is everyone laughing

Aioua on
    life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Aioua wrote: »
    yeah I mean ideally this would be the kind of case where you do enforce the law, cause cops are held up to a higher standard of accountability

wait why is everyone laughing

we'll tell you when you're older

• Options
    DocDoc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2021
    Doc on
  • Options
    Doc wrote: »

Fuck those fucks. Put the full jail maximum to them. They can get their, "Shits and Giggles" from there when they are fodder for other inmates. Putting innocent people's lives at stake is not a game.

• Options
    Doc wrote: »

Fuck those fucks. Put the full jail maximum to them. They can get their, "Shits and Giggles" from there when they are fodder for other inmates. Putting innocent people's lives at stake is not a game.

Yeah that shit is dangerous and randomly kills people.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    Anyone here win a vaccine lottery prize? I'm curious if anyone's actually winning these drawings.

nusu on
  • Options
    Not I, but as I've said I've worked for the same job for 19 years and never won a door prize.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    How's everyone's AC situation? I tried to go find another portable (we just have a small one that worked well for a small apartment, but not so much for a 1600sf house) but couldn't find any in stock today in a store. I did try ordering one online from Costco, and supposedly it will arrive before the weekend. Stay cool out there.

https://kuow.org/stories/washington-state-climatologist-says-this-heat-wave-will-be-historic

• Options
    How's everyone's AC situation? I tried to go find another portable (we just have a small one that worked well for a small apartment, but not so much for a 1600sf house) but couldn't find any in stock today in a store. I did try ordering one online from Costco, and supposedly it will arrive before the weekend. Stay cool out there.

https://kuow.org/stories/washington-state-climatologist-says-this-heat-wave-will-be-historic

We have a small unit that sits on the floor with a pipe that runs to a window insert, and it manages one room that we can all hide in, but I've heard the units that you basically permanently install in a window are better for energy usage. Either way, we are looking at saving up for and AC/maybe a heat pump that can plug into our existing ductwork. Or maybe a multi-unit ductless option, but I don't like how the individual units end up looking.

• Options
    edited June 2021

We have a small unit that sits on the floor with a pipe that runs to a window insert, and it manages one room that we can all hide in, but I've heard the units that you basically permanently install in a window are better for energy usage. Either way, we are looking at saving up for and AC/maybe a heat pump that can plug into our existing ductwork. Or maybe a multi-unit ductless option, but I don't like how the individual units end up looking.

We have a similar style portable that is sitting in the middle of our upstairs, right near the intake vent for the ventilation/heating system, and we use fans to move as much as we can into our offices/bedroom. Hopefully we can add this 2nd unit to our bedroom and keep the upstairs area (where we are most of the time for work/sleep) cool.

I have already started the discussions about whole home/central air install as our potentially first major project in our new home, but if we do it we'll wait until the oct-march window when no one is installing AC. Our neighborhood has somewhere between 6-10 of the 72 dwellings with some form of central AC, I wouldn't mind joining that group.

nusu on
  • Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    Window units are better. If you must get a portable, a dual hose installation is considerably (IIRC like 30%?) more efficient

• Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    I was gonna get a highly rated small 8000BTU fridigair window ac for $280, until I saw a refurbished Toshiba 18000BTU monster that I could get for only $20 more.

I assume it will be much louder, but I already have a billion fans running and don't mind white noise.

• Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    I've got a portable AC unit. I refuse to sweat when I'm barely moving.

• Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    edited June 2021
    And just a warning, portable AC units are only nominally portable. I have one and I can roll it, but no chance of moving it up and down stairs without at least two people lifting it.

I also have to put a thick piece of cardboard under it to avoid leaving wheel shaped dents in my laminate flooring.

Orca on
This discussion has been closed.