As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Washington]🦀Tim Eyman fined $2.6M, banned from directing political cmte finances🦀

• Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    Incenjucar wrote: »
    Doc wrote: »
    I saw an interesting take on the electric car thing that I hadn't considered: what are people who only have street parking supposed to do? Especially as Seattle (and other areas) are allowing for more housing units without dedicated parking.

I'm still in favor of it, it's just an angle I hadn't thought of.

We should expect a lot of classism crap to go on involving asymmetric infrastructure development.

1000% percent. But at the same time, I don't really want them to go back on this, because we have to do fucking something.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    I saw someone just yesterday when we were in the way to the library who was parked on the streets and had an extension cord running over to their car. It wasn't downtown though, that's more feasible when you have a house or condo or similar.

kime on
    Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    knitdan wrote: »
    I’ll be honest I don’t know jack about Patty Murray’s record, which tells me she’s largely kept her head down and been a reliable Dem.

Unless I’m mistaken she doesn’t have a lot of national profile but for the Senate that’s not necessarily a bad thing

her record is Fine to Good, imo. for and against all the stuff you would expect a Democrat from Washington to be for and against, pretty much, with the added bonus that she voted correctly on Iraq. I've voted for her twice now and she's not given me any reason to regret it. her reputation amongst politicians and the courtier class, from what I've read about her, is that she's very serious and hardworking. it's still possible I might personally vote for someone else in the next primary, but pretty unlikely, and the two votes I've cast for her in elections proper haven't left a bad taste in my mouth.

maria cantwell, on the other hand...

I saw an interesting take on the electric car thing that I hadn't considered: what are people who only have street parking supposed to do? Especially as Seattle (and other areas) are allowing for more housing units without dedicated parking.

making EVs mandatory is a fairly regressive policy for this and other reasons. better urban and regional transit should be a higher priority, if you want to approach this from a quality of life perspective. if your bag is climate, well, all those EVs aren't gonna do a whole lot if our grid is still dependent on a bunch of dirty coal power bought from Montana.

• Options
    Changing where we get power from is a centralized problem and arguably easier to solve quickly than getting ICE cars off the road

Steam profile
  • Options
    David WalgasDavid Walgas Registered User regular
    I expect to be carless far sooner than I expect to have an EV, living in central Seattle. Guess I’ll rent one for those drives to the peninsula.

• Options
    AimAim Registered User regular
    Got my first poke at the Microsoft campus :)

Again yestrrday I went to their site, called the number on the bottom, selected the help with scheduling option, waited 40 minutes on the line and they scheduled it for today.

• Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    But this is Washington State we have one of the cleanest power generation structures in the world. We have two petroleum power plants making jack and squat between them and one single coal plant making 1400mw... In the entire state. We also sometimes buy power from a 228 MW plant in Montana(which is ending in 2025)... which makes our total Coal production a whopping 3% of electricity production. We do have a number of biomass power generation facilities but again, their generation is relatively low and also i don't really having a problem with burning waste for power.

Our carbon footprint in Washington State is almost entirely from two things

1) Natural Gas in the home for cooking/heating.
    2) Driving

I will give you one guess which one is the higher of the two.

If there is any place in the world where encouraging electric vehicle use would be beneficial its here.

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    Goumindong wrote: »
    But this is Washington State we have one of the cleanest power generation structures in the world. We have two petroleum power plants making jack and squat between them and one single coal plant making 1400mw... In the entire state. We also sometimes buy power from a 228 MW plant in Montana(which is ending in 2025)... which makes our total Coal production a whopping 3% of electricity production. We do have a number of biomass power generation facilities but again, their generation is relatively low and also i don't really having a problem with burning waste for power.

2) Driving

If there is any place in the world where encouraging electric vehicle use would be beneficial its here.

I guess PSE partially owns the plant in Montana...

Edit: I guess I'm not sure which numbers are more accurate. I see a blog post claiming 25% of Washington as a wholes electricity is from Coal/Natural Gas, but PSE self reports as 33% coal, 31% natural gas, which is significantly worse.

I guess the blog clarifies that Seattle City Light and Tacoma Power are already at 95% clean.

Brody on
    "I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

• Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    yeah I hope there ends up being some aggressive action building charging infra and/or we're able to snag up $$$ in federal grants (maybe easily since we're the only ones with this timeline?) cause otherwise this plan will get delayed and probably used as a right wing scare tactic for years

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    evilmrhenryevilmrhenry Registered User regular
    I’ll be honest I don’t know jack about Patty Murray’s record, which tells me she’s largely kept her head down and been a reliable Dem.

Unless I’m mistaken she doesn’t have a lot of national profile but for the Senate that’s not necessarily a bad thing

her record is Fine to Good, imo. for and against all the stuff you would expect a Democrat from Washington to be for and against, pretty much, with the added bonus that she voted correctly on Iraq. I've voted for her twice now and she's not given me any reason to regret it. her reputation amongst politicians and the courtier class, from what I've read about her, is that she's very serious and hardworking. it's still possible I might personally vote for someone else in the next primary, but pretty unlikely, and the two votes I've cast for her in elections proper haven't left a bad taste in my mouth.

making EVs mandatory is a fairly regressive policy for this and other reasons. better urban and regional transit should be a higher priority, if you want to approach this from a quality of life perspective. if your bag is climate, well, all those EVs aren't gonna do a whole lot if our grid is still dependent on a bunch of dirty coal power bought from Montana.

Yeah, I'd say that for Seattle (and for most cities) the right solution would be an actual mass transit system, created with the explicit goal of being the main transportation option, then heavily restricting cars. Getting even a 120V plug next to many parking spaces would be expensive, and quite frankly a move to EV vehicles doesn't solve most of the environmental issues surrounding personal transportation. (Turns out that constructing a $10k vehicle has an environmental cost, as does covering the environment in pavement.)

Currently, I don't think anyone is really willing to push for that, and with the plague, I think mass transportation is going to be on everyone's shit list for a while in general.

• Options

Yeah, I'd say that for Seattle (and for most cities) the right solution would be an actual mass transit system, created with the explicit goal of being the main transportation option, then heavily restricting cars. Getting even a 120V plug next to many parking spaces would be expensive, and quite frankly a move to EV vehicles doesn't solve most of the environmental issues surrounding personal transportation. (Turns out that constructing a $10k vehicle has an environmental cost, as does covering the environment in pavement.)

Currently, I don't think anyone is really willing to push for that, and with the plague, I think mass transportation is going to be on everyone's shit list for a while in general.

I mean, with the way our state tends to be liberal, but only as long as it doesn't cost them anything, mass transportation has been on the shit list for years. Other than light rail, I can't remember if I've heard that a mass transportation option was being extended, only cuts.

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    King County and the rest if the I-5 corridor can do all you like to encourage electric vehicles and public transit, you’ve got the density to support both.

The rest of us don’t.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    my position on cars is that we should be working towards divesting ourselves of them entirely.

EVs are not a stepping stone on that path.

• Options
    my position on cars is that we should be working towards divesting ourselves of them entirely.

With the caveat that this is just in cities. Rural to semi-rural areas do not have the density to support mass transportation, just as cities are too dense to support cars. Still, mandating EVs isn't a useful step in moving towards mass transportation inside cities. (Unless the goal is to price everyone out of individual vehicles.)

• Options
    Placing a heavy tax on cars entering Seattle/Downtown and a push towards EV's is great, but a state level ban on cars entirely is ridiculous.

• Options

With the caveat that this is just in cities. Rural to semi-rural areas do not have the density to support mass transportation, just as cities are too dense to support cars. Still, mandating EVs isn't a useful step in moving towards mass transportation inside cities. (Unless the goal is to price everyone out of individual vehicles.)

oh, I know. sprawl needs to be addressed before cars.
    Brody wrote: »
    Placing a heavy tax on cars entering Seattle/Downtown and a push towards EV's is great, but a state level ban on cars entirely is ridiculous.

more regressive taxation is not a functional solution.

• Options
    Neither is perpetuating petroleum's government funded hegemony.

• Options
    King County and the rest if the I-5 corridor can do all you like to encourage electric vehicles and public transit, you’ve got the density to support both.

The rest of us don’t.

You don't need density for EVs.

Steam profile
  • Options
    DocDoc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Brody wrote: »

more regressive taxation is not a functional solution.

but it's all we know how to do

• Options
    apparently!

• Options
    nusunusu Registered User regular
    edited April 2021

2) Driving

I want to put solar on my house and rip out all the natural gas stuff (only furnace, water heater, fireplace in our house) and buy an electric car. Subsidize the hell out of me being able to do so, please (and even increase my taxes so others can get subsidized too).

nusu on
  • Options
    David WalgasDavid Walgas Registered User regular
    nusu wrote: »

2) Driving

I want to put solar on my house and rip out all the natural gas stuff (only furnace, water heater, fireplace in our house) and buy an electric car. Subsidize the hell out of me being able to do so, please (and even increase my taxes so others can get subsidized too).

Subsidize the hell out of landlords doing this too so my old ass apartment can stop using a gas stove and gas radiator! And tie it to not increasing rent cause otherwise those fuckers absolutely will use it as an excuse.

• Options
    We're in the middle of a bunch of tall trees. I feel like solar panels would be devastated by the falling debris pretty quickly :(. And the shade...

Steam profile
  • Options
    Jubal77 wrote: »
    The legislation to ban gas cars by 2030 passed. Several plateaus to pass for it to take effect by then but yeah its heading to Inslees desk.

I'm kind of surprised they didn't stick a 2035 date on this, as that's when most manufacturers will be electric only.

• Options
    kime wrote: »
    We're in the middle of a bunch of tall trees. I feel like solar panels would be devastated by the falling debris pretty quickly :(. And the shade...

Yeah, I'm sad because my house doesn't get enough sunlight for solar to provide much.

• Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    @Aim or anyone else could you pm me the number you found for the microsoft vaccination site you used to get scheduled?

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    AimAim Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    It's the one at the bottom of this website: kcvredmond

Aim on
  • Options
    Moridin889Moridin889 Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    I got my second shot at the Microsoft Redmond site this week. Cant wait for the 5g to kick in

Moridin889 on
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    The hits keep coming for Eyman, ordered to pay the legal costs for the state AG office, to the tune of $2.9 million(make sure your ad blockers are on, the PI site is covered in ads):
    https://www.seattlepi.com/news/politics/article/Tim-Eyman-ordered-to-pay-an-additional-2-9M-in-16107438.php

nusu on
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    The hits keep coming for Eyman, ordered to pay the legal costs for the state AG office, to the tune of $2.9 million(make sure your ad blockers are on, the PI site is covered in ads):
    https://www.seattlepi.com/news/politics/article/Tim-Eyman-ordered-to-pay-an-additional-2-9M-in-16107438.php

I swear doesn't he previously owe court fees?

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Preacher wrote: »

I swear doesn't he previously owe court fees?

The existing set were civil fines; these are prosecution costs. (Apparently because of all his frivolous filings.)

• Options
    Kaiser got back to me scheduled for tuesday in port orchard. Wherever the fuck that is.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    Kaiser got back to me scheduled for tuesday in port orchard. Wherever the fuck that is.

Hop on a boat at Fauntelroy and you'll get over here pretty easily (or take the more scenic boat to Bremerton and drive a bit south). Both boat options are slower than just driving around, though.We had to go to south Seattle for our shots even though we're just outside PO since we couldn't find a shot anywhere near us at the time.

nusu on
  • Options

Hop on a boat at Fauntelroy and you'll get over here pretty easily (or take the more scenic boat to Bremerton and drive a bit south). Both boat options are slower than just driving around, though. We had to go to south Seattle for our shots even though we're just outside PO since we couldn't find a shot anywhere near us at the time.

Yeah I'm planning on driving it, its the more "consistent" route to get there. Its a 10:40 appointment, so I think I can make it there from where I live in basically 3 hours, but I'll shoot for being early all the same.

I am a little freaked out with how little information I provided to Kaiser how much confirmation info their website asked of me (addresses shared with my father, who the last person was who owned my condo before me) information age is scary.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    FeriluceFeriluce Adrift on the morning star. Aberdeen, WARegistered User regular
    First vaccine shot get! Got the Moderna in Grays Harbor County.

XBox Live= LordFeriluce
    Steam: Feriluce
    Battle.net: Feriluce#1995
  • Options
    https://www.seattletimes.com/education-lab/politics-race-determined-which-students-made-it-back-to-school-buildings-during-the-pandemic/

Sit down for this one, but it appears red counties opened up schools without regard for the science. SHOCKER!

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    ThegreatcowThegreatcow Lord of All Bacons Washington State - It's Wet up here innit? Registered User regular

Hell that issue is even happening north of Seattle too. I saw a couple of new condo/apartment blocks go up in the Shoreline area next to the 99 and I could distinctly tell there was no underground parking, nor enough space around the complex for a parking lot. It's probably going to get worse before it gets better.

• Options
    We're still building them with parking here, but the issue I have in my town is there is no place for the extra traffic to go. Like literally COVID saved city planners from having to answer "What are we going to do with 400+ extra cars with no new traffic flow?"

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    DocDoc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2021
    An update on the long-term care plan: you have through November 1st to find private insurance if you want to permanently opt-out.

The bill as passed

As of now there isn't any guidance on what requirements a qualifying private plan would need to meet.

Doc on
  • Options
    ArtereisArtereis Registered User regular
    It has been fun watching the Lynnwood housing market slingshot over the past year. Our house's estimated value is up 14% from when we bought it a year ago. The 3 houses in our neighborhood that went up over the past month are either sold or have pending offers. The nicest is a 1200sqft place that went for 100k over asking at 650k. The 900sqft house on a 15,0000 sqft lot is pending for 500k and the extremely dated foreclosure looks to be selling for around 550k.

This discussion has been closed.