As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[US Foreign Policy] A Generation of War

196979899100102»

• Options
    CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    *sniffs*

Smells like panic.

Nah. That's just winning.

Winning is panicking then lashing out wildly, right?

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    Politico posted excerpts from various newspaper reports and it is amazing how zero assed Trump was about plausible deniability but boy do they try to invent some

https://www.politico.com/newsletters/playbook/2019/09/21/behind-the-scenes-on-trumps-ukraine-pressure-campaign-479714
    EIGHT TIMES, via WSJ’s Alan Cullison, Rebecca Ballhaus and Dustin Volz: “President Trump in a July phone call repeatedly pressured the president of Ukraine to investigate Democratic presidential candidate Joe Biden ’s son, urging Volodymyr Zelensky about eight times to work with Rudy Giuliani, his personal lawyer, on a probe, according to people familiar with the matter.

“‘He told him that he should work with [Mr. Giuliani] on Biden, and that people in Washington wanted to know’ whether allegations were true or not, one of the people said. Mr. Trump didn’t mention a provision of foreign aid to Ukraine on the call, said this person, who didn’t believe Mr. Trump offered the Ukrainian president any quid-pro-quo for his cooperation on an investigation.” WSJ
    “Over breakfast in early July at the Trump International Hotel, Mr. Zelensky’s aide asked the State Department’s envoy to Ukraine for help connecting to Mr. Giuliani. Several days later, the aide discussed with Mr. Giuliani by phone the prospective investigations as well as something the Ukrainians wanted: a White House meeting between Mr. Zelensky and Mr. Trump.

“But if Mr. Zelensky’s goal was to reduce the pressure to pursue the investigations and win more support from the White House — not least for Ukraine’s fight against Russia — he would be disappointed.” NYT
    Who could possibly think there was quid pro quo over the President loudly suggesting they cooperate with his personal lawyer for purely personal political reasons?

The Trump line is now "NO U!" because projection.

Couscous on
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Trump's line is always the same

Honestly I don't need to know what he says at all these days. Because I already do. Because he always says the same thing; the dumbest shit possible

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    'Also, I fired a guy because he wouldn't stop investigating me. And I'm totes okay with soliciting election interference from foreign countries!'

• Options
    DocDoc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Solar wrote: »
    Trump's line is always the same

Honestly I don't need to know what he says at all these days. Because I already do. Because he always says the same thing; the dumbest shit possible

I feel the same way, but only because congress won't do anything about it.

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    "perfectly fine and routine conversation"

I'm glad Trump is sticking to the language of innocence.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    Desktop HippieDesktop Hippie Registered User regular
    The BBC are reporting that Boris Johnson, Prime Minister of the UK, has agreed Iran is responsible for the attack on Saudi Arabia and that the UK may send their military to Saudi Arabia to join the US led operation there.

• Options
    JaysonFourJaysonFour Classy Monster Kitteh Registered User regular
    A.K.A. Boris needs something in the media that looks any way decently positive because he's getting his teeth kicked in by the British media over Brexit shenanigans, just like how Donald needs a win in the polls and in something, anything, to make him look like a big, strong boy, capable of building walls in his little sandbox and the like, anything to avoid all the corruption talk and such.

Sounds like both of them are going to go for the oldest, easiest way to try and shore up political support: they want to find some bad guys and play world police.

steam_sig.png
    I can has cheezburger, yes?
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    I fully admit I don't have the best handle on british politics but won't he get his teeth kicked in even worse over middle eastern saber rattling? I seem to remember blair getting it pretty bad

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    I fully admit I don't have the best handle on british politics but won't he get his teeth kicked in even worse over middle eastern saber rattling? I seem to remember blair getting it pretty bad

The conservative party is trying to rekindle the days of empire, so that sort of thing is a positive for them.

• Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular

He did. After it was over though. Same with Bush.

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    Gotta wonder how enthusiastic the Saudi leadership actually is to escalate this. Didn't they just get shown how easily they can say goodbye to their oil wealth?

• Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    The BBC are reporting that Boris Johnson, Prime Minister of the UK, has agreed Iran is responsible for the attack on Saudi Arabia and that the UK may send their military to Saudi Arabia to join the US led operation there.

Mmmh yes, lick that tasty boot Boris

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular

Mmmh yes, lick that tasty boot Boris

Even after decades of evidence from Trump's business dealings and the three years of his Presidency there are still people out there who think they can do a deal with Trump that doesn't end with them getting a knife in the ribs. Backing the US on Iran isn't going to help get them a trade deal or support against the EU in negotiations, that's not how Trump works.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    So Boris, who is unelected and has no mandate of any kind, wants to send British soldiers to die for Saudi oil. I’m sure that’ll go over great, what with the uk feeling so good about their Iraq involvement and no other major catastrophes looming domestically to complicate things further

Prohass on
  • Options
    Desktop HippieDesktop Hippie Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    I haven’t seen it mentioned here, but over the weekend Trump took part in a downright bizarre rally in Texas with India’s Prime Minister Modi. From the Financial Times.

As well as tariff talk there was the usual anti-Muslim rhetoric, which many at the rally took as Trump siding with India against Pakistan.

Desktop Hippie on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    I haven’t seen it mentioned here, but over the weekend Trump took part in a downright bizarre rally in Texas with India’s Prime Minister Modi. From the Financial Times.

As well as tariff talk there was the usual anti-Muslim rhetoric, which many at the rally took as Trump siding with India against Pakistan.

To be fair, what's the likelihood that Trump thinks Modi is a Muslim?

• Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    Fencingsax wrote: »

He's brown, that's enough for Trump

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    Fencingsax wrote: »

He's brown, that's enough for Trump

Nah, it's not that, not in this case. It's that Modi isn't a bully. See, KJU isn't white, but he is a bully, and that scares inspires Trump, so he wants to be friends with North Korea's dictator great leader. Modi's not as openly ruthless and dictatorial, so Trump isn't afraid of him, so he deals tougher with him.

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Modi is a pretty ruthless and brutal guy, make no mistake about that.

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
This discussion has been closed.