As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

WHAT IS THE BEST CHEESE TO USE WHEN CRAFTING A GRILLED CHEESE SANDWICH

Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
I just had an awesome grilled cheese sandwich made with havarti and it was creamy and melty and the cheese stretched for like a mile.

Got me thinking... I think havarti is my favorite grilled cheese cheese. I wonder what everyone else's is?
pjop5feguvb0.jpg

WHAT IS THE BEST CHEESE TO USE WHEN CRAFTING A GRILLED CHEESE SANDWICH 126 votes

American
25%
MulletudeDrezNo Great NameMegaMan001bowenTheySlashThemPantsBUnbrokenEvaTallahasseerielMarathonChincymcchillaTravanCasually HardcoreHeadCreepsRorshach KringlePeenzekebeauPlatyjgeisNoisymunk 32 votes
Cheddar
23%
ShortyJavenKane Red RobeRear Admiral ChocochromdomUndead ScottsmanNightDragonPoorochondriacStraightziMaddocFuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudCentipede DamascuseddizhereMatevJedocSpace CoyoteOricalmDaebunzTheStigSkwigelf 30 votes
Havarti
7%
Raijin QuickfootAtheraalKetBraBucketmanRingoStationaryMidniteLucedesAnzekay 9 votes
Swiss
2%
SporkAndrewDarkPrimusXehalus 3 votes
Colby
2%
IvanIssacsSpeed Racerani_game_bum 3 votes
Monterey Jack
3%
Mysstph blakeMegaMekdemonfalldown 4 votes
Fontina
0%
Gouda
7%
ZeroCowSlacker71Mai-KeroTossrockbsjezzwebguy20balerbowerBlankZoeThe Escape Goat 9 votes
Gruyere
5%
ButlersarukunmrpakuMrMonroeDonovan PuppyfuckerEddyFleur de Alys 7 votes
SOME OTHER KIND
23%
#pipeMulysaSemproniusToxGarthorLindsay LohanastrobstrdProjeckjkylefultonFrylockHolmesXaquinOlivawRhesus Positivedarunia106mcpSpoitAngelHedgieTonkkaironsizideMortal SkyCaptain Inertia 29 votes

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Havarti
    If ever there was a time where I needed more than ten poll options.

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Gouda
    I usually use cheddar but if you're trying to get the best melt Gouda is the righr call

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    ANY CHEESE I HAVE AT HAND

• Options
    Havarti
    Ten poll options prevented me from putting Fromunda Cheese on the list.

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    SOME OTHER KIND
    I'm going to go with provolone, myself.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    Havarti
    Provolone doesn't have enough flavor for me.

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Gouda
    I'm going to go with provolone, myself.
    Provolone has too mild of a flavor for me to use it in a grilled cheese

It's fantastic in, like, sandwiches and whatnot but it can't be the centerpiece of a meal for me

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    More like Convalone

when it comes to grilled cheese sandwiches.

• Options
    edited March 2019
    Havarti
    OF COURSE @Rorshach Kringle uses American cheese.

Probably American Cheese Food Product.

Raijin Quickfoot on
  • Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    American
    Are there more interesting cheeses that I could use? Sure.

American cheese is my childhood nostalgia favorite though.

• Options
    PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    American
    Grilled cheese sandwiches are American so American it is

• Options
    masterofmetroidmasterofmetroid Have you ever looked at a world and seen it as a kind of challenge?Registered User regular
    SOME OTHER KIND
    I can't vote for two options at once but Colby Jack is such a top tier cheese for so many purposes

There are other fantastic options on the list but damn i'll eat so much Colby Jack

• Options
    Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    American
    why am i being attacked for being right?????

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    I love muenster, but it's pretty hard so it doesn't get the good melt you want for a grillcheese

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    SOME OTHER KIND
    Muenster, duh

• Options
    SleepSleep Registered User regular
    American
    ChicoBlue wrote: »
    ANY CHEESE I HAVE AT HAND

This is the real answer

• Options
    Havarti
    why am i being attacked for being right?????

You probably pair it with a Natty Ice!

• Options
    American
    Isn't Gruyère expensive in America

Gruyère from Switzerland is expensive over here

Seems like an odd choice for a grilled cheese sandwich

• Options
    2 Marcus 2 Ravens2 Marcus 2 Ravens CanadaRegistered User regular
    Variety is the spice of life, bud. Same goes with bread.

I don’t often make a straight up grilled cheese anymore. A little rosemary ham and provolone whoops ass. Little carmelized onions and brie.

But plain white bread, American cheese and a bunch of ketchup is pretty perfect.

• Options
    Mr FuzzbuttMr Fuzzbutt Registered User regular
    all of the above

at the same time

broken image link
  • Options
    I'm gonna be honest, usually if I'm making a grilled cheese I'm trying to spend as little time, money, and effort as possible on a meal so in practicality, it's Kraft singles

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    Havarti

I don’t often make a straight up grilled cheese anymore. A little rosemary ham and provolone whoops ass. Little carmelized onions and brie.

But plain white bread, American cheese and a bunch of ketchup is pretty perfect.

That last part... Dear God.

• Options
    Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    American
    this is getting weird

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    American
    Yeah when did grilled cheese sandwiches became haute cuisine

• Options
    Havarti
    There's nothing wrong with a good cheap grilled cheese!

• Options

That last part... Dear God.

Which part? The ketchup?

Because I’m gonna dunk that fucker in ketchup. That, and fries, is what ketchup is for.

• Options
    I mean, traditionally you dunk the cheese into a bowl of tomato soup so I guess ketchup is in the same sort of general direction

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    edited March 2019
    I prefer shiny plasticky american for home made grilled cheeses. For restaurant grilled cheeses any are good.

Except one. The one time I had a grilled cheese at a restaurant and thought "well, that was not good cheese" was when it came with a blue cheese.

Psykoma on
  • Options
    SleepSleep Registered User regular
    American
    Grilled cheese is almost the only time where american cheese is first choice. It's just got the right melting point as compared to grilling time on your more standardized sliced bread. Other cheeses become more preferred with breads that deviate from the norm and toast differently.

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    edited March 2019
    Cheddar
    Cheddar is my go to. Cheddar cheese (generally a cheap extra sharp, as that's what I stock my fridge with), sourdough, maybe a touch of mustard, and butter.

Straightzi on
  • Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    I use mild cheddar, but that's just because that's the cheese I have for general use.

I do put a layer of cream cheese on the inside of one of the bread slices though.

• Options
    RanlinRanlin Oh gosh Registered User regular
    We usually use Colbyjack cheese, though that's probably more because it's our general go-to cheese we keep on hand.

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    edited March 2019
    I did not vote because the real answer is a combination of around three cheeses of varying types.

Librarian's ghost on
    (Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    I had no idea that wasn’t what everyone did. It’s how I was raised. Grilled cheese and ketchup.
    Platy wrote: »
    Yeah when did grilled cheese sandwiches became haute cuisine

I was a line cook for years so now I just keep all sorts of stuff prepped in the fridge. Carmelized onions are always on hand, as well as lots of other sautéed stuff, roasted whatnots, dips/sauces. Just slap it together and put it in a pan. I’d never do all that just for one sandwich.

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    I'm gonna be honest, usually if I'm making a grilled cheese I'm trying to spend as little time, money, and effort as possible on a meal so in practicality, it's Kraft singles

He said Cheese though

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    Cheese elitism is anathema to grilled cheese.

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Cheddar
    Psykoma wrote: »
    Cheese elitism is anathema to grilled cheese.

Grilled cheese was not a part of my childhood and I'm in no way attempting to replicate that when I make it

Like, I get that american cheese grilled cheeses are a nostalgia thing for a lot of folks

But that's not a universal experience, and trying to say that it's the only way to make grilled cheese always feels very weird to me

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    SOME OTHER KIND
    Bleu cheese

• Options
    RadiusRadius Registered User regular
    edited March 2019
    Grilled Cheese that isn't made with Government Cheese doesn't taste right to me.

Radius on
    Everyday we stray further from God's light
    Steam Switch FC: 2799-7909-4852
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Grated cheddar with a little bit of French mustard, black pepper, pickled Jalepenos and paprika mixed in.