As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Board Games] Cardboard Action at a Distance

• Options
    A Half Eaten OreoA Half Eaten Oreo Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    One of our group has been running away with the entire first half of the Rise of Fenris and we're legitimately worried about the balance for the rest of this campaign but Im trying not to get spooked and Google a bunch of spoilers on it to see if we'll be ok or not

We're on the last game and one player has won all but 1 game. IMO he doesn't seem to start any game in a particularly stronger position because of his wins. He's just better at Scythe than the rest of us.
    He's only ahead maybe one/two mods over last place(me). I've still manage to earn enough money every game to buy mods, he just gets to pick from one more.
    He ended up getting the Vesna faction, which honestly I think made him a bit worse since he wasn't used to it. I got Fenris (still managed to lose were I got them).

A Half Eaten Oreo on
  • Options
    HamHamJHamHamJ Registered User regular
    My experience with the Rise of Fenris was that winning games did not particularly help with winning future games. The bonus for winning is pretty minor and by the end of the campaign everyone had maxed out on mods and junk anyway. If anything randomly getting one of the really good ones early on was a bigger factor than anything.

While racing light mechs, your Urbanmech comes in second place, but only because it ran out of ammo.
  • Options
    MrBodyMrBody Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »
    Vyolynce wrote: »
    How does a Gaston / Shan Yu / Shere Khan Villainous sound to you guys? Team Apex Predators?

Who else is there:

- Bad guys in Pinocchio
    - Frollo
    - Cinderella's Stepmom (meh?)
    - Fat Cat
    - Clayton, the other hunter (meh)
    - The bad guys in each Toy Story movie
    - The bad guy in the Black Cauldron
    - Chernabog
    - The Space Police who want to capture Stitch
    - Alternatively, Stitch
    - The Bear in Brave?
    - Te Ka
    - Hans (meh)

The fact that they are just now dipping into CGI movies w/ Gothel is interesting. It'll probably be a while until they hit Pixar though.

I'd love to see the MCP from Tron

Oh geez if they open the door to live action they're literally going to need a Sentinels Collector's Case.
    The opposing trivia team from "The Computer Wore Tennis Shoes", Springfield State.
    The giant squid from "20,000 Leagues Under The Sea"
    A Black Hole.
    Travis Coates from "Old Yeller"

Pre-1976 copyright law

MrBody on
  • Options
    BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    Calica wrote: »
    I actually found the sleeved cards to fit perfectly in each of their cubbies. There's one for each deck. Although I gather there've been some QA issues with the sleeves and some people have gotten sleeves in varying sizes, so that might be an issue. I can't right now but in a bit I can get some photos of how I have my insert stocked.

Edit: Here we go:
    oz3cz5cpk1xz.jpg
    wsg0u9wye9ta.jpg
    nmx5l3u11vdl.jpg
    wskca8qjp74x.jpg
    hbrghsc4z5mf.jpg
    fq6dqa94ny0c.jpg

What did you do with the cardboard fishies and the extra species boards?

The extra species boards for 5-6 players are tucked in with the rest of them; it's a little tight, and that may not be permanent depending on how they wear over time, but it works for now. The cardboard tokens and player screens that got replaced with Deluxe Edition stuff I just sealed in a ziploc bag and stashed in my "spare board game bits" box.

• Options
    CalicaCalica Registered User regular
    Calica wrote: »
    I actually found the sleeved cards to fit perfectly in each of their cubbies. There's one for each deck. Although I gather there've been some QA issues with the sleeves and some people have gotten sleeves in varying sizes, so that might be an issue. I can't right now but in a bit I can get some photos of how I have my insert stocked.

Edit: Here we go:
    oz3cz5cpk1xz.jpg
    wsg0u9wye9ta.jpg
    nmx5l3u11vdl.jpg
    wskca8qjp74x.jpg
    hbrghsc4z5mf.jpg
    fq6dqa94ny0c.jpg

What did you do with the cardboard fishies and the extra species boards?

The extra species boards for 5-6 players are tucked in with the rest of them; it's a little tight, and that may not be permanent depending on how they wear over time, but it works for now. The cardboard tokens and player screens that got replaced with Deluxe Edition stuff I just sealed in a ziploc bag and stashed in my "spare board game bits" box.

The player screens got replaced?

...oh, that's what the bags are for, huh.

• Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    OMG that War of Whispers review on SU&SD!

Ran straight to the internet... to find it sold out everywhere. This aspect of the hobby sucks serious balls.

Found one website which might have it but I’ll give good odds in the stock listed just being inaccurate and them being sold out as well.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    OMG that War of Whispers review on SU&SD!

Ran straight to the internet... to find it sold out everywhere. This aspect of the hobby sucks serious balls.

Found one website which might have it but I’ll give good odds in the stock listed just being inaccurate and them being sold out as well.

Whenever they reprint it it needs to come with a glove raven.

• Options
    ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    I have to admit, I'm very hesitant about Matt's reviews. When SU&SD began I wasn't much for their reviews because they liked different games than I did. Over time I saw Quinns shift and I could better relate to his perspective, but Matt hasn't. He strikes me as a guy who basically likes everything. Even the games he's kinda "blah" on are either obviously "blah" or he's still generous to. Which is to say War Of Whispers looks decent - I'd certainly be curious to play it - but it seems oversold.

I really miss Paul. <_<

ArcticLancer on
  • Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    edited January 2020
    For me as a European all this "wow villainous is such a fun game" is really frustrating. On this side of the pond there is no villainy to be found it's villainous.

So I backed Oath and it looks crazy fun.
    I maybe will PNP it to test it.

@Dirtmuncher They have it [edit: Villainous, that is] on amazon.co.uk And my FLGS has the base game.

[Expletive deleted] on
    Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • Options
    LykouraghLykouragh Registered User regular
    I have to admit, I'm very hesitant about Matt's reviews. When SU&SD began I wasn't much for their reviews because they liked different games than I did. Over time I saw Quinns shift and I could better relate to his perspective, but Matt hasn't. He strikes me as a guy who basically likes everything. Even the games he's kinda "blah" on are either obviously "blah" or he's still generous to. Which is to say War Of Whispers looks decent - I'd certainly be curious to play it - but it seems oversold.

I really miss Paul. <_<

I think Matt is coming at the hobby from a different perspective, and it's one worth hearing. If you read other reviews of War of Whispers, they all say "it's too light and fast"- which is exactly what Matt likes about it.

Just keep in mind if you're like me and you like a 40 page rulebook with all sorts of factional asymmetry and a 6 hour playtime, that's not what Matt likes :)

• Options

I really miss Paul. <_<

I have Matt with Rahdo, as rewiers whose content I enjoy, but have learned better than to make any purchases based on their recommendations. I only so much storage space.

Personally I am similar to them, I have a really easy time enjoying and seeing the good side of most games that gets brought up at board game nights (the only games I’m ever vocally against playing are Munchkin variants).

• Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular

I really miss Paul. <_<

I really enjoy SUSD but I wouldn't put any stock in their conclusions

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    Tbh the real deciding factor for any expensive board game should probably be watching some sample play

The issue is that people make dreadful videos, yes, but it's so helpful to actually see the game in operation

I love written reviews too, but they're kind of sparse these days. SUSD sorta does them but I find most of their writing basically unreadable, since it frontloads that early 2000s offtopic goofiness

• Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular

I really miss Paul. <_<

I have Matt with Rahdo, as rewiers whose content I enjoy, but have learned better than to make any purchases based on their recommendations. I only so much storage space.

Personally I am similar to them, I have a really easy time enjoying and seeing the good side of most games that gets brought up at board game nights (the only games I’m ever vocally against playing are Munchkin variants).

You don't need storage space if you continuously keep expanding your house/apartment by making your walls out of board games. *taps temple* rollsafe.jpg

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    Lykouragh wrote: »

I really miss Paul. <_<

I think Matt is coming at the hobby from a different perspective, and it's one worth hearing. If you read other reviews of War of Whispers, they all say "it's too light and fast"- which is exactly what Matt likes about it.

Just keep in mind if you're like me and you like a 40 page rulebook with all sorts of factional asymmetry and a 6 hour playtime, that's not what Matt likes :)
    Oh that's true. He was hilariously cool on Cerebria, which I think is an interesting game. XD

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    lord give me the strength to light the straight, white males on BGG who wonder at whether we need to care about diversity in boardgames on fire

• Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    i can't give you strength but i can give you fire and what is fire if not strong warm

initiatefailure on
  • Options
    i'll take it

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    lord give me the strength to light the straight, white males on BGG who wonder at whether we need to care about diversity in boardgames on fire

Apparently Matt & Quinns made the color-scheme of their Cool Ghosts site pastel specifically to keep away these sorts of Gamers.

• Options
    edited January 2020
    Hey, new games worth talking about~

My copy of Isle of Cats arrived yesterday, so we gave that a try. It's really nice, and has the rare distinction of feeling different. It's got that interesting quality where it doesn't really do "It's like X, but Y", because the draft and the polyomino puzzle are seperate, yet connected, and more expansive than typically experienced. It doesn't feel like an "I'm going to play the everloving shit out of this!" sort of game, but it's very appreciable, very pretty, and certainly rife for easy, worthwhile expansions.
    Hilariously, the 5-6 player one that was part of the Kickstarter almost certainly isn't one of them. The game would gain nothing by having more people and more components sprawling the table. It's perfect with 4 (and probably still just as good with 3). I highly recommend people look more into this one if they like drafts or spatial puzzles (and if you like BOTH of those things ... well ...).

Wavelength is the new kid on the Codenames/Decrypto/Trendy-Puzzly-Team-Game block. It's fucking exquisite. It bears resemblance to a Jackbox game about trying to figure out what kind of percentage to dial in. Except you're given the percentage and metric, and must give a clue to help your team pick that value. There's a lot of good going on with this one, and it even has a self-propelling means of keeping the downtime between clues low, because while the next person thinks about their card and dial value, everyone else will inevitably reflect on the last question. An interesting quirk is that it makes an interesting conversation starter, but you'll probably do better playing in teams of people who know one another and how they think. Highly recommended, though probably a bit expensive due to the somewhat overproduced (but kind of necessary for things to work) components. YMMV~

ArcticLancer on
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    I just spotted that War of Whipsers was a Kickstarter that didn't really blow up at the time. The developers must be facing a tough decision about how much to reprint. SUSD Recommends would mean crazy immediate sales but I wonder if the hype would be there after however long it takes to get copies in stores

Probably a good time for a second shot at the Kickstarter really.

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    We liked Isle of Cats quite a bit. The inside of the box cover was a dang ol' delight.

8-bit Attack did not fare so well. It's a good game but....eh. Nothing really grabs you about it.

• Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    I
    One of our group has been running away with the entire first half of the Rise of Fenris and we're legitimately worried about the balance for the rest of this campaign but Im trying not to get spooked and Google a bunch of spoilers on it to see if we'll be ok or not

My groups on the last game of fenris, and its been pretty much me and another guy with 3 wins each. not sure why your one guy is winning so hard, but there is nothing stopping you from actively working against him as a group, and some story events might make help you isolate him in that respect.

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    Fry wrote: »

Are they playing as Fenris? :P

that doesnt get unlocked early on so probably not.

• Options
    Dungeon Degenerates

f i n a l l y

arrived today, and I'm hugely stoked! The only stuff I didn't pick up through the kickstarter were the books, which seem neat but fairly superfluous. Some of them have missions, but I can leave that for the future. I also don't have any of the miniatures because, while they're cool, they seem even more superfluous.

It actually feels like it's been a long time since I got a messy, sprawling game which I had to puzzle over storage solutions for. It's kind of nostalgic? Reminds me of Arkham Horror, which was my first hobby board game.

Now to sit alone like a weirdo and play through a solo game or two to figure out these arcane rules before dragging people into this nonsense with me.

• Options
    WearingglassesWearingglasses Of the friendly neighborhood variety Registered User regular
    I ask you, ladies and gentlemen, are there board games with miniatures usable for D&D that provide the most bang for the buck (especially if they can be found on sale)?

• Options
    Custom SpecialCustom Special I know I am, I'm sure I am, I'm Sounders 'til I die!Registered User regular
    I ask you, ladies and gentlemen, are there board games with miniatures usable for D&D that provide the most bang for the buck (especially if they can be found on sale)?

I think you can occasionally find the D&D board games pretty cheap (Castle Ravenloft, et al).
    Also just wait to see if there's another Reaper bones Kickstarter. No game, but you get a massive variety of models for a good price.

XBL: F4ll0utBP | STEAM | PSN : CustomSpecial | Bnet: F4ll0ut#1636
  • Options
    edited January 2020

Back in the day my group used the minis from a friend's unwanted copy of the World of WarCraft board game... it was great then, but it's not exactly an economical option now :p

Ooh, I bet Runewars stuff is pretty cheap now. It already was a pretty good deal for the amount of plastic.

Edit: Yep, Amazon has the core set for just over 30 bucks, and it contains almost 50 miniatures. Granted, the core set is skeletons vs humans, so if you're looking for more variety, it may not be the best option.

BloodySloth on
  • Options
    MrBodyMrBody Registered User regular
    Finally got to try and finish Kosmos' Adventure Games: The Dungeon.

A very simplified T.I.M.E Stories meets Unlock type game. You get picture cards showing locations. You decide what to check out on a card and read the description in the book (or just let the narrator do it on the app). Sometimes you'll get item cards you can combine, similar to the Unlock system.

You can explain the rules in 10 seconds. The puzzles are simple. It's mostly about the exploration and story. Reminded me a lot of those old choose your own adventure RPG-lite Lone Wolf books.

If that sounds appealing, go for it. It's also perfect for kids who find typical escape room puzzles too difficult. If you want brain twister puzzles or an amazing story, you'll probably be disappointed.

• Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    Hurrah! I did indeed get what seemed to be the last easy to find copy of War of Whispers online in the UK.

Nice quick simple rulebook. Looking forward to giving it a spin.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    So Dungeon Degenerates is a hoot. The style of it ends up making nearly any weird combination of monsters and situations feel really cohesive, and that leads to a lot of fun randomly-generated storytelling. I've done the first scenario twice now, once solo and once with my wife; the second time we ended up completely and hilariously botching the quest:
    Mrs. Sloth's character caught a fungal parasite from a molding, mummified head we had to deliver to the cousin of a corrupt jailer who let us slip our prison sentence. After a fight in which she ended up also catching a respiratory infection from a ghoul in an old cemetery, we decided to stop at a nearby church for some medical aid.

Well, long story short, I left her to die on the road to the Holy Order after we were ambushed by a couple of heretics and a goat-man, and we realized after I escaped the battle that the aforementioned mummified head (key to the mission and the whole reason we were there) was on her body that was now lost. The rest of the mission was spent trying to get to a town far enough outside the law that we (my starting character and her newly rolled replacement character) could start our lives anew. We ended up in a stonehenge out in a swamp, nearly dead, having spent several consecutive turns bitterly fleeing from hordes of fish-men and mold-monsters, awkwardly explaining to a coven of mystics that the mummified soothsayer's head, considered to them a magical relic, was eaten by a goat on the other side of the country.

• Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Facebook informed me that 4 years ago today, the denizens of the Penny Arcade Board Games thread pooled together our resources and replaced almost all of @admanb stolen Netrunner collection. Just one of my favorite things about being part of this great community.

acv9vxxg4766.jpg
    uc7k3f9jdcwm.jpg

Keep being classy folks!

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    ironzergironzerg Registered User regular
    So I finally got my hands on a copy of Windspan. It sparks joy.

• Options
    Dungeon Degenerates is an absolute home-run. I adore that game.

We tried our first Villainous game yesterday. Maleficent uh... wins real quick don't she?

• Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular

We tried our first Villainous game yesterday. Maleficent uh... wins real quick don't she?

With the right draw she can but as soon as she gets 2 Curses down someone should Fate her into oblivion. As long as you flip a Hero that should set her back, but whiffs happen.

• Options
    edited January 2020
    So my group finished the scythe fenris campaign (All hail me, your new overlord. I degree everyone gets an extra potato a week).

Now I need to find out whats next to play. unfortunately my group went from 4 to 5 players before we started scythe so I've got to look for the elusive good 5 player games. I have Nemesis, we played it once as a four player when i first got my base kickstarter, and now i have the expansions so thats possible... but I need more choices.

Anyone seen a list of good (RECENT) 5 player games anywhere? the BGG site doesnt really let you search by number of players.

azith28 on
  • Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    azith28 wrote: »
    So my group finished the scythe fenris campaign (All hail me, your new overlord. I degree everyone gets an extra potato a week).

Now I need to find out whats next to play. unfortunately my group went from 4 to 5 players before we started scythe so I've got to look for the elusive good 5 player games. I have Nemesis, we played it once as a four player when i first got my base kickstarter, and now i have the expansions so thats possible... but I need more choices.

Anyone seen a list of good (RECENT) 5 player games anywhere? the BGG site doesnt really let you search by number of players.

BGG definitely lets you search.

https://boardgamegeek.com/advsearch/boardgame

Are you looking for more co-op stuff or anything? Tapestry is good and recent and goes up to 5.

• Options

With the right draw she can but as soon as she gets 2 Curses down someone should Fate her into oblivion. As long as you flip a Hero that should set her back, but whiffs happen.

Yeah I lucked out big time with the card draws. Won in 4 turns.

• Options
    JonBobJonBob Registered User regular
    azith28 wrote: »
    Anyone seen a list of good (RECENT) 5 player games anywhere?
    Do you have any further criteria for us? How heavy of a game do you want? Any mechanics or themes that interest you? What is your cutoff on "recent?"

Some that we've been playing a lot at 5 include Letter Jam, The City, Junk Orbit, Penny Lane, Time Chase... I can go on for a while but more criteria would help.

jswidget.php?username=JonBob&numitems=10&header=1&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
  • Options
    Well when i say recent, i mean the one i did find on BGG was a review dated in 2009. I just wanted recent games in the consideration.

I actually bought Tapestry (at a game swap meet) but i thought it was only 4 players. I'll be trying that one soon.

We like medium weight games, scythe was loved by my group, We played gloomhaven, and 7th continent a lot before the fifth person arrived. We played Nemesis once and it was fun so thats in the list as well (I got expansions since then as well).