Options

[Chat] it is what's for dinner!

KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
I am at a Mexican restaurant and they are taking forever to get my food.

Ever run into the same problem?

• Options
    rockrngerrockrnger Registered User regular
    There beats within your heart the perfectly natural desire to eat the delicious chips and salsa in front of you now.

Suppress this desire

• Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    edited April 2019
    Once my brother and sister in law and I stopped at a moderately upscale italian chain eatery a couple hours before a basketball game we had tickets to. We informed the hostess immediately that we would be on a timetable and asked if they were busy and if we could be reasonably accommodated. She said "yes of course!"

The waiter didn't even show up at our table for half an hour at which point we just left.

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    Re: hallucinogens, I would like to try but I'm apprehensive

My specific experience of anxiety is about spiraling, detailed imagined scenarios that spin into vivid life from trivial stressors or none at all

This seems like a vulnerability

• Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    21st did you ever get your pc licensed up

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    A friend just called saying she couldn't make it to the seder. Which I knew but was confused why she said yes but wasn't worried I had the chairs.

It was very sweet of her.

Also man people sound so different over phones.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular

My specific experience of anxiety is about spiraling, detailed imagined scenarios that spin into vivid life from trivial stressors or none at all

It’s good to be cautious but I would say that they are going to be completely different than you think they are

Another thing to worry about, I suppose

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular

I mean

You'd know everything you were seeing wasn't real.

Unless you did a fuckload of it, but at that point you've probably got bigger problems.

• Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod

I saw a paper half remembered article headline about a paper on guided trips being useful for reducing anxiety about death.

It was in terminal patients, but I'd be very interested to try that, since I get a death fixation when I am stressed. It's ok, though, I've only been heavily stressed approximately 90% of the last six years.

• Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    No poll no vote

"and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2019
    You have to take a lot of anything to straight up see something that isn’t there

Most experiences are more subtle - things breathe, vision can be affected by the textures of things you’re holding, the ceiling is covered in spikes and there’s no gravity, etc

Vanguard on
  • Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    good evening butts.

this isn't my evening butt. As chat is classified only as semi-formal, I'm wearing my afternoon butt.

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    My wife is at Mconalds getting food and I didn’t know so I was like I had to pull over at a Starbucks and shit and it had the force of an F5 hurricane. “Hey babe the McDonald’s person doesn’t want to hear about that, and I could hear the laughing at the drive through.”

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    I have had actual bad hallucinations from different eras of my life due to a few things. I am not a fan of my unconscious brain. It is a dick. So I stay away from those.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »

I did not, because of reasons.

(The reasons are "lazy" written 56 times in large font)

• Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular

Given everything I know about you I think you have an artistic duty to humanity to take just a little bit too much acid and be placed in front of a keyboard for 8 hours

• Options

I did not, because of reasons.

(The reasons are "lazy" written 56 times in large font)

I can respect that.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s7tnTucP1UM

I refuse to believe this came out in 2018. It had to have been recorded in 1993 then hidden for 25 years, the band cryogenically preserved. It's the 90's-est indie rock thing that ever existed. The guitars, the lyrics, the vaguely west coast accent, even the blase vocal intonation. It's incredible.

nibXTE7.png
  • Options

I refuse to believe this came out in 2018. It had to have been recorded in 1993 then hidden for 25 years, the band cryogenically preserved. It's the 90's-est indie rock thing that ever existed. The guitars, the lyrics, the vaguely west coast accent, even the blase vocal intonation. It's incredible.

Snail Mail is decent

I don’t even think Lindsey was born in 1993 tho

• Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Also EM are you not hyper aware of your fallibility as a sack of meat? I feel like I already assume plenty of (minor) things are hallucinations.

• Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    Shivahn wrote: »

I saw a paper half remembered article headline about a paper on guided trips being useful for reducing anxiety about death.

It was in terminal patients, but I'd be very interested to try that, since I get a death fixation when I am stressed. It's ok, though, I've only been heavily stressed approximately 90% of the last six years.

Acid is not necessarily a pleasant experience but you also don't necessarily take it to be a pleasant experience (though it absolutely can be, like if you're out in nature or appreciating art or music), for me it almost kind of trained me in how to relax, because you become kind of fundamentally helpless against what you're going through

My first experience I would describe as the feeling of dying, but the experience was not painful

• Options
    rockrngerrockrnger Registered User regular

How weird would it be if Timothy Leary got vindicated fifty years later.

• Options
    You feel like you’re dying but you’re not and there no way off the ride but if the cops find out, you’ll be arrested

The LSD experience

• Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    Hmm

• Options
    navgoosenavgoose Registered User regular
    Zeph did the Starbucks toilet survive?

• Options
    Kid PresentableKid Presentable Registered User regular
    I became abruptly and exceedingly depressed as I was leaving work this evening

now I am drinking rosé that someone left in the fridge and watching Overwatch League
    which is, unbelievably
    not helping

• Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    edited April 2019
    rockrnger wrote: »

How weird would it be if Timothy Leary got vindicated fifty years later.

Well, he was right that psychedelics are generally a boon to humanity, validating millenia of practice by various indigenous peoples, etc etc etc

I don't think he'll ever be vindicated insofar as he painted a massive target on psychedelics at a time when Nixon needed a scapegoat, setting back science and culture by 50 years in a lot of respects.

TL DR on
  • Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Krathoon wrote: »
    I am at a Mexican restaurant and they are taking forever to get my food.

Ever run into the same problem?

Went to a restaurant for the first time. The waiter asked me what I wanted to drink. I asked for a soft drink. He brought it and I said not quite ready yet, give me one second on the food. He walked away and I waited for 35m. Finally I figured some emergency happened so I went up front to just pay for my drink. The hostess was on the phone with some like, delivery customer or maybe one of the gig economy companies, DoorDash or whatever? I waited a few minutes for her to get off the phone and I eventually just left. Stole that coke, I suppose.

• Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    edited April 2019

Snail mail is so good

You might like... Diet cig or Cayetana

Also check out Maggie Rogers which NYU kids are obsessed with but that's tangential

Eddy on
    "and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular

now I am drinking rosé that someone left in the fridge and watching Overwatch League
    which is, unbelievably
    not helping

sounds like it’s time to play everquest

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    This is your yearly reminder that y'all need to change your bed sheets more than once every 4 months.

• Options
    This is your yearly reminder that y'all need to change your bed sheets more than once every 4 months.

See, if you hadn't last reminded me 5 months ago...

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    @Krathoon you may be thinking of Najena with the creepy murder basement full of jail cells

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular

Your yearly reminder is presuming that I'm currently a functional human being

• Options
    TL DR wrote: »

See, if you hadn't last reminded me 5 months ago...

I mean you should be doing it once a week like me

but

it's okay I sometimes skip a week or two I won't judge if it's been longer

I start judging at a year

• Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Am I not supposed to glue the fitted sheet in place

• Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    by changing sheets do you mean like

buying new ones

• Options
    Organichu wrote: »
    Am I not supposed to glue the fitted sheet in place

that happens when the amalgum of cum, sweat, and vag juice finally soaks through the sheet and makes like a sheet paste.

• Options
    Kid PresentableKid Presentable Registered User regular
    edited April 2019
    Chanus wrote: »

which is, unbelievably
    not helping

sounds like it’s time to play everquest

I mean, 20 years of self-medicating depression with MMOs has gone great so far

Kid Presentable on
  • Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    Chanus wrote: »
    @Krathoon you may be thinking of Najena with the creepy murder basement full of jail cells

Yeah. I heard there was some creepy place.

This discussion has been closed.