As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Vampire: The Masquerade] Tremere and their BFFs, together at last

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    They know, they just can’t say yet.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    I wonder what the heck is going on over there.

• Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    I wonder what the heck is going on over there.

Mass staking incident, followed by accidental removal of roof while the surviving developers were sleeping the day away.

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    I guess the Alpha process hasn't gone very well then...or at least resulted in unfortunate feedback. Something has gone completely sideways though, if the tale gets told it's sure to be interesting
    Tube wrote: »
    I have never heard of this happening

iirc this is what happened with the FF7 Remake, it was farmed out to another studio and squeenix ended up canning them and taking the project back in-house.

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    Burnage wrote: »
    So we're all accepting that Bloodlines is a cursed series at this point, right?

I hate that this is an evergreen post

• Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    Well that's not good!

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    I have a feeling whatever happened behind the scenes here would make for a fascinating and/or horrifying documentary.

So, pretty on-brand for a vampire story?

• Options
    Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    This has been in my steam library since March 2019. Pretty sure by release (if that actually happens) that's gonna end up being some sort of pre-order record... >.>

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • Options
    Zombie GandhiZombie Gandhi Registered User regular
    Well, shit.

• Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    I’m like I trust Paradox to tough it out and do at minimum okay by a promise in the end. But that studio made the xbox 360 Blackwater game.

This might end up being a good thing. It’s not impossible. I don’t see anything in the studio’s history that indicates they were going to do a good job making this game.

PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    I guess the Alpha process hasn't gone very well then...or at least resulted in unfortunate feedback. Something has gone completely sideways though, if the tale gets told it's sure to be interesting

iirc this is what happened with the FF7 Remake, it was farmed out to another studio and squeenix ended up canning them and taking the project back in-house.

Same thing with Metroid Prime 4. It's certainly not a common thing, but it happens.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    They'll kick it around to a few different studios for a few years, never satisfied with results. Drop the project for a few years. Revive it. Have a lawsuit with the composer over music rights. And then ultimately sell the game and IP to Gearbox Studios.

• Options
    Trajan45Trajan45 Registered User regular
    I'd almost take this as a positive sign they want to get this right. Hardsuit doesn't have an extensive history of AAA games. Paradox could have just patched whatever they had up and released it for a quick buck. But instead it seems they didn't think the game play or something was where they wanted it to be and that Hardsuit wasn't equipped to deliver.

Origin ID\ Steam ID: Warder45
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    lwt1973 wrote: »

This late in the supposed process is mind blowing. Plus who is going to work on it now? They don’t know. Wow.

I suspect it's not nearly as late in the process as it was supposed to be, and that's why this is happening.

• Options
    Zombie GandhiZombie Gandhi Registered User regular
    Very curious what company they are lining up for completion though. Yeah, Hardsuit was always somewhat concerning given lack of track record. But I don't envy the group being subbed in, even if they likely pursued it themselves.

"Hi. Please save our troubled cult classic game with high expectations that has been in development, but maybe hell, and had notable developers that are nearly synonymous with the product, and also it's never looked all that good gameplay wise but like, here, just please we promise we locked way the monkey's paw, just please help us get something out of this IP."

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Very curious what company they are lining up for completion though. Yeah, Hardsuit was always somewhat concerning given lack of track record. But I don't envy the group being subbed in, even if they likely pursued it themselves.

"Hi. Please save our troubled cult classic game with high expectations that has been in development, but maybe hell, and had notable developers that are nearly synonymous with the product, and also it's never looked all that good gameplay wise but like, here, just please we promise we locked way the monkey's paw, just please help us get something out of this IP."

It probably won't help that the IP is connected to the Werewolf: The Apocalypse IP, which just had a fairly cruddy game get released with a wet fart.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    FiatilFiatil Registered User regular
    edited February 2021
    whoops double post

Fiatil on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    Yeah, I desperately crave an investigative post-mortem into whatever the hell was going on at HardSuit Labs.

I do agree that this at least makes it seem like Paradox is trying to make this thing work. I wouldn't blame them for cancelling the game entirely at this point, so uhh props to them for trying I guess.

So much for 90% complete I guess.
    cloudeagle wrote: »

It probably won't help that the IP is connected to the Werewolf: The Apocalypse IP, which just had a fairly cruddy game get released with a wet fart.

Ehh they're proclaiming to be super different games. This game being developed had absolutely nothing to do with the strength of the Werewolf: The Apocalypse license. That other game is a trash tier brawler/stealth game with wooden everything; this game is shaping up to be a mess, but it has absolutely nothing to do with fan interest in Werewolf: The Apocalypse really.

Fiatil on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    LorekLorek Registered User regular

Yeah between that and seeing what happened to Cyberpunk when you release a buggy as hell game... I have a feeling the fact that the original is a janky mess as part of it's "charm" would not go over so well these days.

• Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    my secret forlorn hope is that maybe Paradox are handing the project to Harebrained Schemes, since they are a) studio owned by Paradox b) in the Pacific Northwest c) who make pretty good games and RPGs in particular

and also d) are good with money and project management. they are the only game devs I follow closely who seem to scope their projects correctly, largely because they aren't afraid to say no to fans and cut good but extraneous ideas to deliver a core product that works

if Bloodlines 2 was a victim of epic mismanagement as seems kind of likely at this point, that seems like what you'd want

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Not sure if HBS has FPS chops, though.

• Options
    Lorek wrote: »

Yeah between that and seeing what happened to Cyberpunk when you release a buggy as hell game... I have a feeling the fact that the original is a janky mess as part of it's "charm" would not go over so well these days.

There's nothing "these days" about it really. Bloodlines 1 became a cult classic because parts of it are amazing. But, the "janky mess" part of it....completely killed its original developers, Troika. It sold 5 copies and doomed them entirely. I'm pretty sure no one had any intentions of repeating that; it sure looks like fate is trying to make it happen though!

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    Jacobkosh wrote: »
    my secret forlorn hope is that maybe Paradox are handing the project to Harebrained Schemes, since they are a) studio owned by Paradox b) in the Pacific Northwest c) who make pretty good games and RPGs in particular

and also d) are good with money and project management. they are the only game devs I follow closely who seem to scope their projects correctly, largely because they aren't afraid to say no to fans and cut good but extraneous ideas to deliver a core product that works

if Bloodlines 2 was a victim of epic mismanagement as seems kind of likely at this point, that seems like what you'd want

Thanks for raising this as a possibility because now I'm going to be tremendously disappointed when it inevitably turns out that the game wasn't given to HBS.

• Options
    NecoNeco Worthless Garbage Registered User regular
    edited February 2021
    What a fucking trainwreck

Maybe the new dev will bring back the lead writers. Yeah, I didn’t think so either

Neco on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Yeesh.

To be fair, there's been several smaller releases that were well-received and well-written, but it seems like WoD is better suited to VNs than AAA-ish RPGs.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    Elvenshae wrote: »

Also, hopefully HBS is busy with a follow up to Battletech?

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    GONG-00 wrote: »

As much as I'd love Bloodlines 2 to be what it was going to be, they could do worse than making it into a Shadowrun Returns-like.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod

They're not :(

Development ended on Battletech last year (maybe 2019? Time is meaningless) and they had a big wrap-up Q&A livestream and basically said "we can't say what we're doing next, but we are done with Battletech stuff until further notice." Idk if the game underperformed (which seems weird but who knows) or if the endless legal battles with Harmony Gold made it unprofitable to continue or if they just want to move on and do new things or what. But, regardless, they still haven't announced what the new gig is.

I mean this is just me woolgathering, I don't seriously think that HBS is working on VtM 2 (although it would be rad).

But I will say that unless Paradox either spin up a new studio themselves, or wait till an existing studio has a clear slate, whoever they approach to do the game will be busy on something, so that doesn't preclude anything. The new developers will just be in hiring mode and shifting resources for a while.

• Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular

If Harebrained came out with a Vampire game in the style of Shadowrun: Dragonfall or Hong Kong, I'd be cool with it. Probably not what people would be hoping for when they hear "Bloodlines 2", so that's probably not what this hypothetical game should be called, but, y'know, it'd still be neat.

• Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    edited February 2021

vtmb had mechanics so bad that honestly thats not too much of a worry for me tho lol

this could actually be a good thing - one of those "get rid of the old ideas and give a fresh team the chance to construct something more limited but coherent out of the pieces"

but it really depends on how much paradox are willing to sink into it in terms of resources, i suppose

also i would imagine whoever they give it to understand the significance of the original game, and might possibly re-open communications with mitsoda et al depending on why they departed

who knows

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular

Development ended on Battletech last year (maybe 2019? Time is meaningless) and they had a big wrap-up Q&A livestream and basically said "we can't say what we're doing next, but we are done with Battletech stuff until further notice." Idk if the game underperformed (which seems weird but who knows) or if the endless legal battles with Harmony Gold made it unprofitable to continue or if they just want to move on and do new things or what. But, regardless, they still haven't announced what the new gig is.

I mean this is just me woolgathering, I don't seriously think that HBS is working on VtM 2 (although it would be rad).

But I will say that unless Paradox either spin up a new studio themselves, or wait till an existing studio has a clear slate, whoever they approach to do the game will be busy on something, so that doesn't preclude anything. The new developers will just be in hiring mode and shifting resources for a while.

The Harmony Gold lawsuit was settled in 2018?

• Options
    GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    Uttering another evergreen sentiment, fuck Harmony Gold.

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

The Harmony Gold lawsuit was settled in 2018?

sure, but it still happened, and it still cost the studio money, and may have contributed to the decision to sell HBS to paradox (or may not have, since jordan weisman is a serial entrepreneur)

Jacobkosh on
  • Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    I submitted my preorder cancel to Steam this morning, we'll see if they honor it since it's almost two years after I preordered.

I'll continue to follow the development just because it's so fascinating of a timeline, but yeah. All hope has sailed on this one for me. I'll probably purchase if it's ever released, but this has been some batshit developments.

• Options
    BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited February 2021
    As much as I credit HG for introducing me to anime, Robotech, mecha crap in general, and my interest in tech - I harbor nothing but contempt for them anymore.

Bigity on
  • Options
    I had no idea HG was involved in Battletech.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    cj iwakura wrote: »

They're not. Put very simply, the designs of certain Battletech 'mechs may have been based on Macross/Robotech designs which are probably owned by Harmony Gold. So Harmony Gold sued.

• Options

They're not. Put very simply, the designs of certain Battletech 'mechs may have been based on Macross/Robotech designs which are probably owned by Harmony Gold. So Harmony Gold sued.

Sheesh. Super Robot Wars being localized would have given them a coronary.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options

They aren't.

(super short version, in spoilers cuz it's hells of off topic):
    Back in the 80s, when Battletech was being developed, FASA licensed some of their original slate of mech designs (the Warhammer, the Marauder, the Rifleman, others) from various anime (Macross, Crusher Joe, and a third) through an Asian licensing conglomerate. A third party, not the original anime studios.

Harmony Gold, of course, had licensed some of the actual anime shows, particularly Macross, to produce Robotech.

Nothing happened with this for years and years but in the 90s, Harmony Gold kind of randomly decided to sue over this, claiming that they had exclusive rights to the visual representation of those designs in the NA market. FASA, looking at the documents, realized the licensing firm might not have actually have had the right to license those designs so settled or cut a deal out of court and agreed to no longer use those designs in visual media. Those mechs, many of which were iconic in the various Battletech books and art, became "unseen." They could be mentioned and talked about, their game stats were unchanged, but they could no longer depict them visually.

In the 2010s, Catalyst Game Labs, the part owners of the Battletech property and publishers of the TTRPG/wargame material, announced that they were moving forward with a retcon, a visual redesign of all the Unseen mechs that would take them out of legally dicey waters.

HBS announced when the Battletech game was Kickstarted that the game would be incorporating those redesigns. However, HG decided to sue anyway, and included Catalyst and also Piranha Games (the MWO dudes) in the mix. But Harmony Gold's own licensing status turns out to have been way shakier than previously thought (in the interim they'd fought some legal battles against the actual anime studios, IIRC to try and prevent the unedited Macross and Genesis Climber from being distributed in NA) and the court settled the issue with prejudice against the plaintiff, so they can't raise the issue in court anymore.

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular

Metroid Prime 4, as well. Started development at one studio til Nintendo took it away from them and gave it to Retro.

Supposedly.

It remains to be seen that it's an actual in-development project.

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126