Options

A very big [house] in the country

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    Adding fertilizer + water is a pretty reliable method, imo. No seed needed because grass is a persistent motherfucker. The fertilizer is what makes it thick.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited May 2020
    add some clover!

it's so much more rugged than grass alone, and great for bees and the environment too

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Clover will also improve the ruggedness of grass by holding water and fixing nitrogen.

• Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    I've got the same problem but I added clover last year. Even the clover looks pathetic this spring. I'm just wondering now if the previous owner salted the earth or something because I just can't get the grass to grow.

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    you do occasionally have to reseed it, unfortunately

it should last longer than a year though

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    My yard has got long stretches of dried grass like djmitchella's and yet I don't even have a dog as an excuse.

I did, however, see these crazy birds today though. They do like to scratch.
    o0vh48q2add4.jpg

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    you might have to plug and thatch the lawn as well. They need it every now and again.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    That's a possibility. Plus I probably don't fertilize it enough.

• Options
    damn those are some plump ass wild turkeys you've got there, I think we know where your clover went

• Options
    It was so funny watching the males because they would keep their tail fan facing the female at all times. Even twisting them selves around in case she looked up at any moment.

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    I used my fancy new battery powered weed eater and edger over the weekend, and folks, gas powered line trimmers are for chumps. You want to turn the thing on? Just hit the button. You want to turn it off while you do another task or move somewhere? Just let go and it's off.

Amazing stuff.

It's crazy how much more likely I am to actually get off my ass and do a chore when it's with a battery powered tool compared to a corded tool. For whatever reason there's a mental barrier attached to getting out the extension cord, plugging it in, dragging it behind me while I'm trimming or leaf-blowing or whatever, wrapping it up, unplugging, putting it away etc. Compared to grabbing the tool, loading a battery, boom. The time/effort savings can't be more than a few minutes, but it just seems so much easier to do.

It's the same reason having a cordless Dyson (or similar stick vacuum) makes me so much more willing to vacuum the whole house.

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    KalTorak wrote: »
    I used my fancy new battery powered weed eater and edger over the weekend, and folks, gas powered line trimmers are for chumps. You want to turn the thing on? Just hit the button. You want to turn it off while you do another task or move somewhere? Just let go and it's off.

Amazing stuff.

It's crazy how much more likely I am to actually get off my ass and do a chore when it's with a battery powered tool compared to a corded tool. For whatever reason there's a mental barrier attached to getting out the extension cord, plugging it in, dragging it behind me while I'm trimming or leaf-blowing or whatever, wrapping it up, unplugging, putting it away etc. Compared to grabbing the tool, loading a battery, boom. The time/effort savings can't be more than a few minutes, but it just seems so much easier to do.

It's the same reason having a cordless Dyson (or similar stick vacuum) makes me so much more willing to vacuum the whole house.

Yea when our shark finally dies, I'm totally going cordless. It's going on 8 years now though and still trucking along.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    djmitchelladjmitchella Registered User regular
    webguy20 wrote: »
    you might have to plug and thatch the lawn as well. They need it every now and again.

There's roving lawn maintenance people that come around the neighborhood pushing an aerator and knocking on doors, so we got that done last year, but it couldn't hurt to get it done again this year, you're right.

• Options
    IronKnuckle's GhostIronKnuckle's Ghost Registered User regular
    I took the plunge and got a robot vacuum a couple years ago, and even replaced it with a smarter one with a built-in mopping feature earlier this year. Great purchase, and now my house is vacuumed and mopped multiple times a week. Instead of just when I really, really got tired of the floors being vaguely gross.

• Options
    PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    I gagged

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    Brolo wrote: »

Honestly I have zero frame of reference for apartments in NY and what they cost. Yeah it's small and the apartment I used to live in when I was near the expensive folks in Downtown Dallas was larger and only cost me 12,000/yr, but that's DFW, it's cheap to live here even in the expensive areas.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    N1tSt4lkerN1tSt4lker Registered User regular
    That is a lovely little apartment with a stunning view. It’s also TWICE MY WHOLE PAYCHECK FOR RENT. What on earth does she do?

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    N1tSt4lker wrote: »
    That is a lovely little apartment with a stunning view. It’s also TWICE MY WHOLE PAYCHECK FOR RENT. What on earth does she do?

Spend inherited capitalist trustfund money, most likely.

• Options
    edited May 2020
    In terms of NYC apartments that one is rocking no mold and in-unit washer and dryer, and in like a super prime location. It's no wonder it's 6k a month.

If you're willing to compromise on all of those you can probably get something for 2k a month. DINKs in NYC are probably making in the ballpark of 150k+ a year, which you could easily afford putting 50% of your income away for something that doesn't look like it's not been touched since 1932.

bowen on
  • Options
    And work at as an unpaid intern in an exclusive position that perpetuates the class divide since no one else could afford to work for "free" in NYC.

• Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    3clipse wrote: »
    N1tSt4lker wrote: »

Spend inherited capitalist trustfund money, most likely.

It's amazing how little money this is for some people. Her parents probably make her monthly rent in passive income in like a day.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    GizzyGizzy i am a cat PhoenixRegistered User regular
    These are very weird assumptions everyone is making about this girl.

Switch Animal Crossing Friend Code: SW-5107-9276-1030
    Island Name: Felinefine
  • Options
    DrZiplockDrZiplock Registered User regular
    Gizzy wrote: »
    These are very weird assumptions everyone is making about this girl.

Right?

It's NYC. Shit is expensive, but pay is also better (yes, this is not a blanket statement). It's also a city where, much like LA and San Francisco, a much larger portion of you income goes to housing. And then if it's two people in the place splitting the rent? Yea...there's an almost uncomfortable amount of weird shade being thrown around in here.

• Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    Yeah assuming %50 to rent bc major metro area, either she makes ~160k a year or that's split between 2 people. Which is not all that crazy for NYC especially if either are in finance.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    GizzyGizzy i am a cat PhoenixRegistered User regular
    I got curious, she has a blog and instagram. She's married and worked in finance and slowly transitioned to working as a blogger. Parents immigrated here from Vietnam, father passed away 12 years ago and her mother supports their family back in Vietnam.

As a woman who works hard myself, the vibe in this thread made me really uncomfortable. But I guess as a result I'm now following an inspiring woman on instagram :)

Switch Animal Crossing Friend Code: SW-5107-9276-1030
    Island Name: Felinefine
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    Her individual story could be whatever, but if bet the vast majority of young people living in such places have substantial inhereted wealth.

Also we think of it as being a ton of money but for so many people this is throw away cash. It's less than they spend on eating out every month.

TheStig on
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    Well, that's my bad, but what I'm told by my sister (lives in NYC) is that the vast majority of folks living in those areas are doing so with family money, so that's what I based that on. /shrug

To be very clear, her being a woman had nothing to do with it - would have said the same about a man with no other context.

3cl1ps3 on
  • Options
    DrZiplockDrZiplock Registered User regular
    TheStig wrote: »
    Her individual story could be whatever, but if bet the vast majority of young people living in such places have substantial inhereted wealth.

Also we think of it as being a ton of money but for so many people this is throw away cash. It's less than they spend on eating out every month.

You're making some pretty wild assumptions not only about her, but about a lot of other people - all based on a tiktok video.

• Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    You can work your ass off in some specific industries, in some specific areas of the country, and make bank as a young person. It's not a universal experience but I'm not sure attaching a moral judgment to it is always fair to the people who make that choice.

• Options
    DrZiplock wrote: »
    TheStig wrote: »

You're making some pretty wild assumptions not only about her, but about a lot of other people - all based on a tiktok video.

Jokes on you. I didn't even watch the tiktok video.

• Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    Yeah, finance sounds about right. Note - those interns absolutely get paid (as basically all do these days) and paid well. Finance in NYC is literal center of the universe for Investment banking, which is 200k+ a year for income, if not millions once they have a few years in. Note that for the first 5-10 years in I-banking, you work 80-100 hours a week, so any reduction in commute has a material impact on your well being. Since you primarily work and sleep, location and comfort of apartment is worth almost anything you can afford.
    A friend of mine had a close friend that interned for one of the big i-banks - he apparently took taxis to work every morning so he could get 15-20 minutes more sleep and a relaxing commute in. It cost him $50 a day.

• Options
    Yeah for me no amount of money is worth that but I recognize there are folks who really want them dolla dolla bills.

• Options
    Banzai5150Banzai5150 Registered User regular
    I took the plunge and got a robot vacuum a couple years ago, and even replaced it with a smarter one with a built-in mopping feature earlier this year. Great purchase, and now my house is vacuumed and mopped multiple times a week. Instead of just when I really, really got tired of the floors being vaguely gross.

How good of a job does it do? I’ve debated on getting one for years. And now with 3 cats and a Golden retriever there’s hair fluffs everywhere. I’d love for a robot vacuum to do a daily sweep.

50433.png?1708759015
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    Banzai5150 wrote: »

How good of a job does it do? I’ve debated on getting one for years. And now with 3 cats and a Golden retriever there’s hair fluffs everywhere. I’d love for a robot vacuum to do a daily sweep.

Yeah if one of those can handle the relatively tight confines of my 900 sq ft apartment I'd be interested. Having a small baby who is now crawling and eating random... things on the floor is really making me paranoid, we sweep like 5 times a day.

• Options
    mightyjongyomightyjongyo Sour Crrm East Bay, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    Refinance of our house complete, we're now at a 3.5% interest rate! Now to actually remodel our house a bit and uh...I should probably just get someone to come take care of our front yard to be honest.

• Options
    IronKnuckle's GhostIronKnuckle's Ghost Registered User regular
    edited May 2020
    Banzai5150 wrote: »

I have a Eufy Robovac L70.

In general I'd rate robots as not as good as doing it yourself, but incredibly convenient. My first one was a dumb model that simply bonked around the house until it ran out of battery (could rarely find its way back home for some reason), and my new one is a smart one that makes a map and updates it each time it runs to figure out efficient paths. Unsurprisingly the latter is far better about actually doing the job, and comes with a bit of an upcharge.

The main utility though is that the thing can run whenever you want, and I find that after a week or so you see a good difference in general cleanliness.

The mop mode is ok. The robot forbids any cleaner and only uses water and a cloth that drags behind the unit to do the mopping. Since most of my house is tile, having it do a mop run once a week has generally made my floors cleaner, but busting out the mop and doing it myself has far better results. I'd say the robot is good for maintenance work versus a proper cleaning.

I don't have pets though so I can't really speculate on how effective a robot would be. I do clean the dustbin and filters/brushes very regularly though, so probably you'd be fine as long as you're willing to pull fur out of the roller brush once a week.
    Brolo wrote: »
    Yeah if one of those can handle the relatively tight confines of my 900 sq ft apartment I'd be interested. Having a small baby who is now crawling and eating random... things on the floor is really making me paranoid, we sweep like 5 times a day.

I first used the dumb robot in a small apartment, and it did great. Since most models are round they don't get into corners all that well, so I still recommend using a regular vacuum for those.

IronKnuckle's Ghost on
  • Options
    sponospono Mining for Nose Diamonds Booger CoveRegistered User regular
    How often do you need to empty the dirt, refill the water, and change the pad?

640qocnq4ske.gif
  • Options
    I ZimbraI Zimbra Worst song, played on ugliest guitar Registered User regular
    spono wrote: »
    How often do you need to empty the dirt, refill the water, and change the pad?

The line between 'appliance' and 'pet' grows ever more nebulous.

• Options
    Doodmann wrote: »
    Yeah assuming %50 to rent bc major metro area, either she makes ~160k a year or that's split between 2 people. Which is not all that crazy for NYC especially if either are in finance.

50%, and your travel costs have got to be essentially $0 or barely a rounding error in your budget if you're living midtown like that, especially if you work in finance.

So no car, no insurance, no gas, no random maintenance costs, and that's for potentially two people.

That's easily another $1000 a month you could throw at rent, if not more.