Options

A very big [house] in the country

• Options
    sponospono Mining for Nose Diamonds Booger CoveRegistered User regular
    Refinance of our house complete, we're now at a 3.5% interest rate! Now to actually remodel our house a bit and uh...I should probably just get someone to come take care of our front yard to be honest.

We're supposed the finish the refi at 3.09 this month

They're just giving these things away. We're paying nothing to get 2.5 years taken off of our mortgage

640qocnq4ske.gif
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    edited May 2020
    bowen wrote: »
    Doodmann wrote: »
    Yeah assuming %50 to rent bc major metro area, either she makes ~160k a year or that's split between 2 people. Which is not all that crazy for NYC especially if either are in finance.

50%, and your travel costs have got to be essentially $0 or barely a rounding error in your budget if you're living midtown like that, especially if you work in finance.

So no car, no insurance, no gas, no random maintenance costs, and that's for potentially two people.

That's easily another $1000 a month you could throw at rent, if not more.

Dont forget parking which can be an apartment worth of money by itself.

In regards to robo vacs, the benefit i can see is that it lowers the general % of filth that accumulates. It doesn't replace doing it yourself, but your place is less dirty overall between those cleanings. Also if it can pick up animal hair, well thats huge right there.

webguy20 on
    Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    IronKnuckle's GhostIronKnuckle's Ghost This is also my fault Registered User regular
    spono wrote: »
    How often do you need to empty the dirt, refill the water, and change the pad?

Depends on the size of the space it's cleaning, naturally. For me it's cleaning about 1200 square feet of floor (worth noting my particular robot is too tall to go under the couch). I empty the dustbin after every run, cause I have about a 50/50 split between carpet and tile, and a couple area rugs. I also do a quick wipe of the filter when I do this. For mopping, the water tank on my L70 is pretty small and it will just barely be able to finish mopping without topping up the tank. I estimate it's about 600 to 700 square feet of mopping. The instructions say to clean the pad after every run, which is just simply running water over it and wringing it out in the sink until the water is clear, then letting it air dry for about a day.

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Yeah, like, $6k pm is obviously a wild amount of cash in objective global levels but in the us it’s still within the bounds of affordable rent even on mid-level tech /low end finance salaries, as long as you’re not trying to max out your savings.

With two people living there, you’re paying the same as you would for a much shittier place without a partner/roomie, so i can see people making that trade off for lifestyle reasons . It certainly doesn’t require trust fund income.

• Options
    tynic wrote: »
    Yeah, like, $6k pm is obviously a wild amount of cash in objective global levels but in the us it’s still within the bounds of affordable rent even on mid-level tech /low end finance salaries, as long as you’re not trying to max out your savings.

With two people living there, you’re paying the same as you would for a much shittier place without a partner/roomie, so i can see people making that trade off for lifestyle reasons . It certainly doesn’t require trust fund income.

Also with those floor to ceiling windows and that view? I'd definitely sacrifice a few things to live there, that's for sure.

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Real estate has to have "real" in the name because of how often people say things like "I can't believe this shit."

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    Homeowner thread

Do we have a garden thread?

I want to start some sort of flowerbed or garden or shrubbery or something in my girlfriend's small back yard

We're getting a small patio set this weekend

We live in plant hardiness zone 6

It's flat and shady and nice

The houses next door are condemned and abandoned

• Options
    edited May 2020
    Homeowner thread

I want to start some sort of flowerbed or garden or shrubbery or something in my girlfriend's small back yard

Check out the Plants! Thread. There is much knowledge there. If you want to do some gardening check out the book "Square Foot Gardening". It's SUPER EASY to set up and maintain, and takes minutes a week to weed and keep up.

webguy20 on
  • Options
    JansonJanson Registered User regular
    Honestly I was surprised by how nice that apartment looked, especially for the location! I’ve seen far worse for that price.

Alex and I lived on less than that rent in a similarly pricey city, though, so we were at the other end of the scale and boy it was tough.

• Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    Homeowner thread

A shrubbery?!

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    JimBobtheMonkeyJimBobtheMonkey Registered User regular
    I signed a contract this morning. I'm probably going to own a house in a month or so. I've never owned a house before. I hope this isn't a horrible decision!

First headache moment! As a first-time home buyer I was trying to get a grant to cover closing costs and whatnot. The income limit for the grant is $xx100, and my salary is $xx000 so I should be good right? But no! Instead of looking at my salary, they used my year-to-date income to calculate my yearly income and that came out to $xx440 or something. It's not going to be a deal breaker or anything, but it's a real bummer.

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Goody my neighbor put up a fence in my yard
    So sadly I have to contact the city about where the property line is again for her

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    sweet, you can take a shit while you're doing window-side pull-ups

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    I want to see how that towel bar is anchored into that brick wall. Badly. I've tried drilling into brick before and it is Not That Good or Easy.

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    I know that such things as brick anchors or concrete anchors exist but I've never needed to attach something to that kind of wall that much.

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Drilling into masonry isn’t that bad you just need the right drill bit and a drill with a hammer setting.

• Options
    Brainleech wrote: »
    Goody my neighbor put up a fence in my yard
    So sadly I have to contact the city about where the property line is again for her

So this is my house as of last year
    sso6tjek36hu.png
    Sadly I had to take the pics at night as she has gotten weird about it
    fmlqepvfva7r.png
    57zn76mgrjsq.png
    The railroad ties are the fence the supports are in her yard
    So the fence she is attempting to build is definitely in my yard

• Options
    IronKnuckle's GhostIronKnuckle's Ghost This is also my fault Registered User regular
    Yeah, that's pretty clearly her in the wrong.

• Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Man. I want a moon kitchen.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    I can't believe the owner was able to resist dedicating the front of the house to... something

• Options
    Jedoc wrote: »

If I had a space obsessed kid this would be sold.

• Options
    "What if house, but Tardis?"

• Options

In Shining force CD there was a map that was a Japanese garden and then the porch of a Japanese house
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1AOKIiLjf0c
    About 9 minutes in
    Over the years I wanted to do this inside of house just how has been the problem as how would I raise shrubs and other plants indoors? If there is little to no natural light

• Options
    OptyOpty Registered User regular
    That house is just someone who really likes Animal Crossing making their in-game house a reality.

• Options
    djmitchelladjmitchella Registered User regular
    Those tweets are missing this one, which, just, wha?

ISb52iy0k6td4p0000000000.jpg

• Options
    Oh, that must be the Greeting Alien they talk about in the house description.
    Unclear if it comes with the property.

• Options
    Because the city/county office opens up by appointment and after 9am I was quite tired and asked my brother to call them
    He claims they did but we shall see
    Now the pictures in daylight!
    The front of the house
    hdvq30jyfxiq.png
    Ignore the pile of old wood the neighbor who's backyard fence you can see keeps tossing thier trash in my yard
    aickqd6echm8.png
    755wqy9ytc8q.png
    They left up the old support so you can see where the fence used to be
    bassically they did eminent domain for 8 inches around the house on either side it looks like I am not sure about the other neighbor they next to but they did really take about 8 inches of my yard for a fence
    I have no idea what they are doing as the uprights are metal and they did a meh job welding the cross beams in so I have no idea what this fence looks like and having a metal fence in this weather is silly
    bpbd34lksfr8.png

It does suck working nights when everything is basically 9 to 5 and in the current social efforts against the virus as I feel just frustrated I have to relay on others to fix this

• Options
    sigh the city is low balling it asking me for the address of my neighbor to see if they have a building permit

Still like my brother will point out the city is aware of the fight between between my neighbors and I and wants to quietly walk away as they know they became part of it [the stuff you find out in court is still amazing}

• Options
    PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    I feel like that's the city trying to find a shortcut.
    If she doesn't have a permit they can be like "well, no permit, no construction, send an order to tear down the fence; case closed, conflict resolved. Let's head for bevs, who's paying?

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    "but if I build a fence on my side of the property I lose inches of valuable room!" this lady probably

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    Ashaman42Ashaman42 Registered User regular
    I mean either way she's wrong but are the wooden uprights the boundary line or the horizontal sleepers? I'm just interested as to how wrong she is.

Either way it bloody sucks and you shouldn't have to be deailing with such nonsense.

• Options
    afaik most places in the US you must give about half a foot (or more) of clearance from your property line to a fence, unless you can get an exception because the neighborhood have their fence right at the property line, etc. However, you absolutely cannot encroach on someone's property no matter what.

What might be happening is she had a survey done and the property line was actually where the fence is now and she's trying to passive-aggressively take it back (because after enough time it would become leech's property at that point), and they city might have also approved it because they hate brainleech.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    No she hates us for various reasons
    This is the same woman on 3 different times tell my brother and I how our house is costs her 15k off her's and expects us to pay the difference in cash
    This is one of the two people who weaponized the city against me {which it took about 3 years for them to figure it out what was going on {and a lawsuit} where the city just wants to walk away from this mess as they got roped into a neighbor fight}
    She is having the fence built I feel so she doesn't have to see our house
    I don't think she had a survey done as I live at the end of a cul de sac so unless you are lost I can tell what cars are around
    And there are various dogs that voice their disapproval of people they do not know in the area

• Options
    Crazy neighbor trumps passive aggressive neighbor for sure then.

Surprised she hasn't set your house on fire yet.

• Options
    DrZiplockDrZiplock Registered User regular
    Dawn breaks upon day 4 of not having hot water.

No contact from the landlord or building management, three maintenance requests filed, and the entire building is out. I am displeased.

• Options
    I ZimbraI Zimbra Worst song, played on ugliest guitar Registered User regular
    webguy20 wrote: »

One of my friends growing up had their basement tv room walls covered with floor-to-ceiling panoramic pictures from the moon landing. It was the coolest fucking thing.

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    I Zimbra wrote: »
    webguy20 wrote: »

One of my friends growing up had their basement tv room walls covered with floor-to-ceiling panoramic pictures from the moon landing. It was the coolest fucking thing.

I had a little cubbyhole room in my closet that I covered in floor-to-ceiling antique pictures I stole from people's houses during parties when I was in high school.