Options

A very big [house] in the country

• Options
    chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    Why???

• Options
    I ZimbraI Zimbra Worst song, played on ugliest guitar Registered User regular
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »
    I Zimbra wrote: »
    webguy20 wrote: »
    Jedoc wrote: »
    Man. I want a moon kitchen.

If I had a space obsessed kid this would be sold.

One of my friends growing up had their basement tv room walls covered with floor-to-ceiling panoramic pictures from the moon landing. It was the coolest fucking thing.

I had a little cubbyhole room in my closet that I covered in floor-to-ceiling antique pictures I stole from people's houses during parties when I was in high school.

Wait a minute....

• Options
    IronKnuckle's GhostIronKnuckle's Ghost This is also my fault Registered User regular
    Now, we don't have time to unpack all of that.

• Options
    Jedoc wrote: »
    Man. I want a moon kitchen.

If I had a space obsessed kid this would be sold.

One of my friends growing up had their basement tv room walls covered with floor-to-ceiling panoramic pictures from the moon landing. It was the coolest fucking thing.

I am remembering more about this bonkers house and wish that I had the foresight to take pictures:

-Also in the basement was a small rococo theater, complete with stage and projection room.
    -The house had a giant walk-in safe that was locked when they bought it. When they finally had someone open it years later it turned out to be full of antiques and jade pieces and shit.
    -It was in a fairly stodgy old-money neighbordhood and was painted bright pink
    -Full length Marilyn Monroe face mirror.

Hanging out with these people was the first time it occurred to me that it was possible to have too much money.

• Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited May 2020
    Now, we don't have time to unpack all of that.

Well at least we now know the origin of The Framer. Gordon can have all those innocent people released and their names cleared.

MichaelLC on
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    chromdom wrote: »
    Why???

Because it's the one thing you can't replace.

obv

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    edited May 2020
    chromdom wrote: »
    Why???

It took me wayyyy too long to remember where I heard this bit. My first thought was "MbMbaM"?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0dbJHppgrHc

Cambiata on
    Peace to fashion police, I wear my heart
    On my sleeve, let the runway start
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    edited May 2020
    Ok.... So code enforcement came by I do not know what was said. I tired to go to sleep but it was hard with the bang bang bang of them working on a metal fence
    After code enforcement came by she demanded I or my brother sign a piece of paper without letting us see what it was. Saying things like I am improving property values I am improving the neighborhood
    Sigh I can ill afford a lawyer but sadly it seems that is all I can do

And I forgot to say when I pointed out it was in my yard she said they are following the fence line

Brainleech on
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Brainleech wrote: »
    Ok.... So code enforcement came by I do not know what was said. I tired to go to sleep but it was hard with the bang bang bang of them working on a metal fence
    After code enforcement came by she demanded I or my brother sign a piece of paper without letting us see what it was. Saying things like I am improving property values I am improving the neighborhood

And I forgot to say when I pointed out it was in my yard she said they are following the fence line

Just don't sign the paper?

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    edited May 2020
    If the fence were on her property you wouldn't be signing anything.
    I guarantee you the paper is you saying you approve of the fence's placement/design. It honestly could even be saying you're agreeing to pay for (at least) part of the fence.
    Nothing you've described necessitates a lawyer

Psykoma on
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    Brainleech have you tried just saying "nah"?

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    edited May 2020

Just don't sign the paper?

I didn't I said I want to read it first to which I was told sign it! I am improving property value! I am improving the neighborhood! She had one of the two people building the fence come with her when she was trying to make us sign it
    In all it was just very odd
    really I feel I should go find the Neighbors thread and talk about this in H/A rather than here and I know this is a big part of the mess I have been in for years

As I have shown in pics the fence is well into my yard A few hours ago was the only time I have gotten to speak with her about the fence and all she said is I am following the fence line
    Really I contacted the county and got a email back about it {because of the social stuff against the virus they are asking people to contact them via email}

I was pointed to the city since I did not know who to contact yesterday and this is the follow up
    Thank you for your email. I was told you spoke with Jerry Ortiz, Code Enforcement Division Manager, and were told that it is a civil matter and given information about how to proceed. Because it is a property dispute, the City doesn’t necessarily get involved.
    So yeah I am know slept like shit because of the banging right outside my window but I kind of don't get it?

Brainleech on
  • Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    If someone tried to browbeat me like that I'd just start removing their shit from my property and force them to be the bigger man. It's your fuckin' property, you let people get away with taking an inch, you know what's next.

• Options
    edited May 2020
    It sounds like you're doing the right thing. The next step is just waiting for the city isn't it? I mean if it was me I would have started dismantling their fence on my property at like 3am. (don't do that)

TheStig on
  • Options
    I did say Code Enforcement did come over I think? But I think they handed her the permit and that is what she wanted us to sign
    Really I am confused what to do next as I think the city knowning where this is and the problems I have had because of her really just gave her the pass
    Either and do a follow up with the city or just get a city to show her where the property line is [I think it's the county but then again} really I feel gettting a lawyer to sue her to stop is the only option

• Options
    Why didn't the city show you where the property line was?

• Options
    I would go back to the county/city and demand a detailed blueprint/ground marking of the property line. That whole "it's entirely a civil matter, the city is not involved" is straight bullshit.

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    They probably told her she can only build the fence if she gets her neighbor's approval. So that's why she wants you to sign, and why you absolutely should not sign.

Peace to fashion police, I wear my heart
    On my sleeve, let the runway start
  • Options
    Cambiata wrote: »
    They probably told her she can only build the fence if she gets her neighbor's approval. So that's why she wants you to sign, and why you absolutely should not sign.

Absolutely this.

• Options
    TheStig wrote: »

They have said I need to pay for a survey of it
    I think I need to to the county and demand to get the lot or whatever of the area to proof she overstepped the line [I know she did as I did post one of the pics from the back where they left up the only post and the hole where one pole was well behind the current one they are building
    bpd1qgq8tw5f.png
    Ignore the old tree and other parts of a playground and stuff the neighbor behind me threw a lot of trash into my yard earlier in the year

• Options
    edited May 2020
    So as far as I can see, you have two options right now.

1 - pay for a survey
    2 - accept the new fence

Quite frankly at this point you don't know that the new fence is on your property. It's likely it is, but while you know that the new fence is closer to your house than the old fence was, nothing you've said guarantees that the old fence was 100% on the property line/on her side of the property line.

If you go through option 1, which I'll be honest is what I would do, understand that it is entirely possible the property line is closer to your house than you think. It's also possible it's even further away. The main point is that you just don't know right now.

Psykoma on
  • Options
    Psykoma wrote: »
    So as far as I can see, you have two options right now.

1 - pay for a survey
    2 - accept the new fence

Quite frankly at this point you don't know that the new fence is on your property. It's likely it is, but while you know that the fence is closer to your house than the old fence was, nothing you've said guarantees that the old fence was 100% on the property line/on her side of the property line.

If you go through option 1, which I'll be honest is what I would do, understand that it is entirely possible the property line is closer to your house than you think. It's also possible it's even further away. The main point is that you just don't know right now.

Let the fence be completed. Pay for a survey. Paint your new fence bright pink.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    TheStig wrote: »

They have said I need to pay for a survey of it
    I think I need to to the county and demand to get the lot or whatever of the area to proof she overstepped the line [I know she did as I did post one of the pics from the back where they left up the only post and the hole where one pole was well behind the current one they are building
    bpd1qgq8tw5f.png
    Ignore the old tree and other parts of a playground and stuff the neighbor behind me threw a lot of trash into my yard earlier in the year

Dude.

Guy.

Fella.

Tell her to remove the fence from your property, or you will do it for her and sell the steel for scrap.

• Options
    edited May 2020
    The onus of proof is on the person doing the construction. If she can't prove she's constructing on her property, you can do whatever you want with it. This isn't some SLAPP suit bullshit, it's common sense. You do the building, you front the cost of the survey. Period.

Pinfeldorf on
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    The onus of proof is on the person doing the construction. If she can't prove she's constructing on her property, you can do whatever you want with it. This isn't some SLAPP suit bullshit, it's common sense. You do the building, you front the cost of the survey. Period.

This, very much this.

• Options

I have asked the two people NOT to be in my yard they do the no habla
    I have asked them in Spanish to politely leave they stop then go back after 20 or so minutes

My brother pushes for me to sign saying write out signed under duress or to ask her to see it the paper she is pushing [she kept asking for us to sign I said I want ot see it}
    Basically my options are to get the county to give me the property deed from their end to show her where the line is {Zillow though a quick search puts it at the railroad ties so I know she is doing this on purpose}

• Options
    Build your own fence on the property line over night

• Options
    Just take a Sawzall to the posts on your property and cut them. She'll have to spend far more money repairing that than it's worth.

Like I said, being the bigger man in this position is going to be a bigger pain in the ass for you than it is for her, and she's already being a pain in your ass. You've gotta stoop. And since you, like me, are a giant man-ogre, you're going to have to stoop damn low for it to sink in. Though were I you, I'd also be throwing that shit your rear neighbor threw in your yard right back into his.

• Options
    StrikorStrikor Calibrations? Calibrations! Registered User regular
    Your brother is insane if he is trying to get you to sign ANYTHING whether you get to read it or not.

• Options
    Don't sign a fucking thing.

Put on your best drill sargeant voice and tell her and the workers to get off your property until she comes back with a permit and a survey, or you;re calling the cops.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular

I have asked the two people NOT to be in my yard they do the no habla
    I have asked them in Spanish to politely leave they stop then go back after 20 or so minutes

My brother pushes for me to sign saying write out signed under duress or to ask her to see it the paper she is pushing [she kept asking for us to sign I said I want ot see it}
    Basically my options are to get the county to give me the property deed from their end to show her where the line is {Zillow though a quick search puts it at the railroad ties so I know she is doing this on purpose}

Then you call the cops for trespassing. Don't say anything about fences or construction, they are trespassing. As soon as you mention the fence debacle the cops will handwaive it as "civil matter".

If your neighbor comes out and mentions they're her construction crew, just say they're trespassing and show him the proof that the city council has come out already.

You can sue her at this point in small claims to get her to stop, then ask for a survey to be conducted by her to prove it's on her property. You can probably retain a lawyer for a $100-200 to write a letter and tell her to knock it off if you need to but I doubt you'll need to if you just act like a glorious asshole about this.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    And, because it bears repeating, NEITHER YOU NOR YOUR BROTHER SHOULD SIGN SHIT. NO FUCKING PENS ALLOWED. ETC.

• Options
    It's really not onerous to require new construction to require a proper survey either. Happens all the time. If I want to build a shed or garage the village comes out and does a survey to make sure I'm not encroaching on other's property.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    Hey home thread: Is it possible/smart to install a dryer with minimal (like 2") rear clearance if you're using a side vent kit?

We're trying to upgrade and discovering that our laundry closet isn't really deep enough to accommodate most modern units.

• Options
    You can do it, just remember ever > 45deg turn reduces airflow and increases the need for you to clean it out. You'll want to clean it out at least once a year, if not more with something like that.

More than one 90 degree turn might reduce airflow enough to shorten the life of the dryer. But if the dryer manufacturer itself has made the kit you are probably fine.

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    Hey home thread: Is it possible/smart to install a dryer with minimal (like 2") rear clearance if you're using a side vent kit?

We're trying to upgrade and discovering that our laundry closet isn't really deep enough to accommodate most modern units.

as long as the vent run is straight, it should be fine (I'm guessing that's what the side vent kit is for?). I think 4" is pretty standard though.

• Options
    IronKnuckle's GhostIronKnuckle's Ghost This is also my fault Registered User regular
    How does one clean out the vent line?

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular

move the dryer once every 6 months I guess?

• Options

Generally you hire somebody to do it. You can by a kit to do it yourself, but you risk ending up like my former upstairs neighbor who lost a brush in her vent line and they had to cut through her floor to get it. Good times.
    Xaquin wrote: »

as long as the vent run is straight, it should be fine (I'm guessing that's what the side vent kit is for?). I think 4" is pretty standard though.

I'll have to check the measurements but I thiiiiink I can do it with one 90 degree turn.

• Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular

Use a long-handeled lighter to reach in and ignite. Keep a window open.

Yeah don't do that. There's big brushes you can use, or vacuum, but depending on the setup sometimes just easier to replace. Or hire someone.