As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Castlevania & Bloodstained] sitting in a tree, S-L-A-Y-I-N-G

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
  • Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited March 2020
    Wow, that sounds absolutely awful to play... no thanks...

(Seriously, what is this obsession developers have with putting twitchy platformers on mobile with touch gamepads? They never work well)

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    It's $2.99 and supports controllers. Plus I just played through the Richter part and it doesn't control horribly.

• Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    Cool that they did it, but I'm definitely not picking it up.

Also, it's based on the PSP version, so no miserable little pile of secrets for you!

• Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    I like the PSP translation, myself.

• Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    edited March 2020
    Looks like Grimoire of Souls released too? Or was it always out? https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=jp.konami.castlevania - Oh, not available in my country. Just in Japan for now I guess.

KoopahTroopah on
  • Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    I don't know if I want to get my hopes up, but it's coming up on a year since the Castlevania Anniversary Collection launched. Could there be a chance we finally see some of the Metroidvania Castlevanias arrive on Steam?

• Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    Give us Harmony of Despair on Steam!

(they'll never do it, especially with Grimoire of Souls appearing to be a sorta follow-up to that kind of game)

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    I had a friend who's a huge CV fan who bought the game for me(and all the DLC) just to have someone to play it with. I can't say I loved it, but I respect what it was going for.

I hope S4/5 of Castlevania move onto Richter and Rondo/SotN, I think S4 is a good sendoff for Trevor and co.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    urahonky wrote: »
    It's $2.99 and supports controllers. Plus I just played through the Richter part and it doesn't control horribly.

I want to retract this statement. The touch screen controls are bad. I used the 8bitdo SF30 and it controlled flawless.

• Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    m5g73ovqoc5z.jpg

Season 3 baby!

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular
    SteevL wrote: »
    Give us Harmony of Despair on Steam!

(they'll never do it, especially with Grimoire of Souls appearing to be a sorta follow-up to that kind of game)

I'll gladly buy it on Switch!

Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo
  • Options
    BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    m5g73ovqoc5z.jpg

Season 3 baby!

My friends are arranging a viewing party and I went out of my way to import a bottle of Romanian booze for the hell of it, it's so silly how excited we are for this show

• Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    It's liiiiive.

I am approximately five minutes in and can already tell warren ellis wrote this season yet again. It's uh, distinctive.

I love warren ellis's writing.

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • Options
    Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular
    Watched the first episode before work and I am happy to report I thoroughly enjoyed everything about it.

Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo
  • Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    Only lingering fear is Netflix is known for axing perfectly well-performing shows after 3 seasons simply because their projected engagement metrics show diminishing returns won't be worth the effort

iirc the theory is that has less to do with projected engagement and more to do with that's generally when contract renegotiations generally come into play.

Or rather the PR line is "projected engagement" and the reality is "$"

Not sure if that comes into play with animation as much though.

I.E. something is so successful that they might actually have to pay the people making it next time? So they'd rather move on?

Sounds about right.

Either explanation is a seriously toxic approach to the creative process so good job Netflix I guess
    Anyway, hopefully Ellis and Co. have written their finales securely in the event the show does get shitcanned. I honestly felt pretty satisfied by S2's conclusion so I have faith they can do the same this time

You're not wrong but it's also not so much a Netflix thing as it's a television thing. Contract renegotiation is a hell of a thing somtimes.

• Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    Just about finished Season 3.

That was good. Be very interested to know how many of those were iconic monsters.
    also that was totally this series's take on Legion that Issac battled, wasn't it?

Also, trigger warning for people re: late episode 9 (Spoiler is as spoiler free as i can make it while still giving useful details)
    Episode 9 has a pair of what starts as consensual sex scenes sex scenes that turn into characters being physically assaulted & betrayed, so just be aware

• Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular

That was good. Be very interested to know how many of those were iconic monsters.
    also that was totally this series's take on Legion that Issac battled, wasn't it?

Also, trigger warning for people re: late episode 9 (Spoiler is as spoiler free as i can make it while still giving useful details)
    Episode 9 has a pair of what starts as consensual sex scenes sex scenes that turn into characters being physically assaulted & betrayed, so just be aware

WTF? Did you just power through the entire season? I've heard of people that weekend binge Netflix shows, but this is something else entirely. :biggrin:

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    MNC Dover wrote: »

WTF? Did you just power through the entire season? I've heard of people that weekend binge Netflix shows, but this is something else entirely. :biggrin:

It came out like what, 4+ hours ago, or something (So like 8 pmish? Later? my time?), each episode is about 25 minutes, maybe less depending on credit/opening times? So i watched Castlevania and played doom.

It was pretty good, thoguh very, very grim. Some bits were a bit underbaked, the season in general felt... hmm. Interim, i think is the word i want? I'm not quite sure how to put it. Like dont get me wrong, it was good, but... (Spoilered discussion below)
    It was very obviously all about setting up stuff for Season 4 and moving characters into place for that - stuff that reinforces and doubles down on Issac's nihlistic viewpoint (Without exactly challgning him on the hypocrisy inherent in it). Stuff that's clearly setting up Alcuard to have a vastly more negative view of humanity moving forward - quite how that'll affect him i have no guesses - the only castlevania games i've played with Alcuard in them were the Soma ones. Heck, even stuff reinforcing Trevor's negative view, and tarnishing Sylvie's view of humanity.

Also stuff further developing Hector. I'll say this, as much as they're clearly monsters, i liked the vampire Coiterrre. Nice to have a lesbian couple. I'll give the show points for actually having a bisexual threesome - but major negative points for having that turn into brutal physical assault. Seriously, was that really fucking nessecary? I honestly thoguht we were seeing the seeds sewn for some far flung in the future stuff like the orginzations that help out in Soma's time.

We did get some interesting conformation that Dracula is in no way out of the picture yet. Curious to see the Demons actively trying to bring him back. Really liked Fungal doods design.

But yeah, in general the season felt like it was connective tissue, rather than a whole story in and of itself - like S1/S2 make a whole connected story that had a good end point, this feels like a "and here's the advnetures in between".

Presumably S4 is going to touch more on Carmilla's plans, issacs murdervengencebender + Belnades and Belmont all smashing on together. Plus whatever Hector does. PS hector, stop being horribly fucking naieve a bout vampires!

• Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    I almost forgot S3 was coming out today. I guess I'm watching some episodes while I sit on my elliptical.

• Options
    BeezelBeezel There was no agreement little morsel..Registered User regular
    edited March 2020
    I see they let Ennis out of his cage for episodes 9 and 10

E. My bad it was Ellis. How I keep confusing those two I'll never know

Beezel on
    PSN: Waybackkidd
    "...only mights and maybes."
  • Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    Bloostained is cancelling its Roguelike mode. Igarashi says its not possible.

They are replacing it with a Randomizer mode that is going to randomize everything. Crafting results, boss locations, enemy drops, shops, everything.

This will come out with the Zangetsu update.

• Options
    Viskod wrote: »

They are replacing it with a Randomizer mode that is going to randomize everything. Crafting results, boss locations, enemy drops, shops, everything.

We talked about it last page :razz: Randomizer sounds great though, I do love those in games. Adds a ton of replayability if you enjoy the systems of the game.

• Options
    TairuTairu Registered User regular
    I'm just shocked we got a full game out of the kickstarter and it was pretty much what I wanted. The roguelike would've been cool but a randomizer is great too.

• Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular

I thought Randomizer was next update, Zangetsu was pushed back an update.

• Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    Heffling wrote: »

I thought Randomizer was next update, Zangetsu was pushed back an update.

Uuggghhhhh....

• Options
    Romantic UndeadRomantic Undead Registered User regular
    Crossposting from D&D, first impressions of Castlevania Netflix (first 5 episodes):

I am actually impressed. They are hitting all the right characterization beats. Characters that, by all rights, should be abject cliches actually get humanized. There are a few bits of anachronistic humor that pop up here and there (don't worry, no pop culture references, just more like mannerisms and relationship quirks that stick out a bit in a medieval-style setting, especially between Trevor and Sypha) but it hasn't gotten too grating. The pacing is surprisingly slow for a modern-age show. Scenes are given time to breathe and, unless I'm mistaken, there are occasional episodes with NO action scenes at all! (I watched 5 episodes in a row, so it's possible I'm wrong). This is a good thing.

I mean, so far, all of the obvious bad guys have gotten screen time dedicated to explaining their motivations and even when they start ripping innocent villagers apart, I can't help but get a Chris Rock moment of "It ain't right... but I understand". There is a really great scene between Isaac and a ship captain which does an amazing job at humanizing Isaac, who is a character who literally
    kills innocent people and turns them into monsters by implanting their freshly dead bodies with a soul from hell

Favorite quote so far:
    Isaac, facing down a group of town guards who are trying to prevent him and his cohort of MONSTERS FROM HELL from walking through their town:
    You are all so FUCKING RUDE

3DS FC: 1547-5210-6531
  • Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    Oh, I forgot to watch that last night T_T

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    KarlKarl Registered User regular
    Castlevania Netflix S3 review

Fucking hell, that was one hell of a downer of an ending.

Alucard is slowly turning into his father which is the saddest part

• Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    S3 was real good, like, really really good. Ah man, shit, man!

So good.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    I ran into the spot you guys mentioned after getting double jump. I ran around for hours until I finally decided to go to a guide.

• Options
    SealSeal Registered User regular
    Karl wrote: »
    Castlevania Netflix S3 review

Fucking hell, that was one hell of a downer of an ending.

Alucard is slowly turning into his father which is the saddest part

Alucard
    just isn't currently equipped to deal with his new position in life and it's so goddamn tragic.

• Options
    never dienever die Registered User regular
    Watching Giant Bomb play Bloodstained:

How the fuck did I miss the lightsaber!?

• Options
    The benefits of the food are permanent?

• Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular

Yes. That old lady who eats all your exotic dishes must be lvl 999 after you're done with her quest line.

• Options
    NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    The first time you eat a food gives a permanent stat boost, yes. Further devourings only heal.

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    I could watch an entire episode of just Isaac and The Captain talking. I love the slow-burn dialogue.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Yeah, who knew most of us would be in on a Castlevania series for the razor-sharp dialogue?

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    It's 3AM and I don't think I've ever felt so haunted awake by a television show like I have for season 3.
    I have beef with some plot elements, but... holy shit the things I'm trying to process in my head are really fucking with me bad.

I'ma need a hot minute but I will say that them fucking with Alucard's arc like that super fucked me up.
    First thing I'll say is I was expecting the Japanese duo to get killed from the very beginning of Alucard's training. All the interaction was way too wholesome for the writers to not end up twisting the knife, but the betrayal (or rather the characters' justification for the betrayal) shocked me and not necessarily in a positive way.
    It was definitely an effective emotional gut punch to see all of it resolve with the two on pikes, the character writing is exceptional as always at making the cast likeable and empathetic.

But my main criticism of it is that the duo's justification seemed weak. They claim they feel like Alucard is purposefully withholding knowledge from them such as the teleporting castle but Alucard already explained to them and reasoned with them earlier and they acted like they accepted his explanation.
    This wouldn't necessarily mean incongruity if the story built an actual sense of growing mistrust or deceit, but what confuses me is that the show goes out of its way to fit in a few scenes with the duo by themselves, genuinely understanding or at least empathizing with Alucard's loneliness. It makes the bedroom scene feel like a more abrupt heel turn that doesn't feel as consistent with those characters - or at least, it feels like context is sorely missing.

Again, I'll say that the tragedy of it is still utterly compelling (and heart-breaking) and the season is another steep upwards trajectory for an already incredible show. But unless I missed some critical dialogue to the scenes, I felt for the journey the writers mapped for Alucard this season that the path from A to B was missing the same detail of escalation that the other story arcs had in absolute spades.

And I haven't even started gushing about the other story arcs or overarching themes revolving around human vice or good lord, the art/animation and performances and character writing. Christ

I will say it is fun watching sapphic Twitter go nuts over this show lol