Options

The [Anime] Strikes Back

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    bear with me as I say some stuff about Eva that everyone has already known for 20 years

I really appreciate how...quiet it is? It really lets things breathe and has you sit with the characters, and that lends a proper weight to what happens, especially with this 4th episode where some messed up stuff happens and the full episode is about Shinji just wandering around aimlessly grappling with it

Maybe I'm wrong and overestimating people's capabilities at grasping tone, but I cannot see this show even having the "wow cool robot" problem because all of these fights are so obviously harrowing and brutal

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Mr. G wrote: »
    bear with me as I say some stuff about Eva that everyone has already known for 20 years

I really appreciate how...quiet it is? It really lets things breathe and has you sit with the characters, and that lends a proper weight to what happens, especially with this 4th episode where some messed up stuff happens and the full episode is about Shinji just wandering around aimlessly grappling with it

Maybe I'm wrong and overestimating people's capabilities at grasping tone, but I cannot see this show even having the "wow cool robot" problem because all of these fights are so obviously harrowing and brutal

It's a deconstruction of giant robot anime, the super robot genre in particular (though it gets some licks in on the real robot genre too.) The whole point is to examine exactly how fucked up (and how fucked in general) the world would have to be to put a young teen into a mechanized weapon.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular

some people are really good at tunneling and just going "when do we get to the fireworks factory giant robot fights", especially I guess if they had no idea what eva was going into it at the time back in the long long ago

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    I may just have finished bingeing all the way through Dungeon Meshi.

It's real freaking good.

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    Naphtali wrote: »

some people are really good at tunneling and just going "when do we get to the fireworks factory giant robot fights", especially I guess if they had no idea what eva was going into it at the time back in the long long ago

Most people:

https://youtu.be/afWLwPZZv2w?t=10

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User, Moderator mod
    Naphtali wrote: »

Oh I was definitely going "when are they going to get to the fireworks factory" the first time I watched it when I was 12 or so, and was baffled by the episodes about Shinji running away and such. I kept watching because the wow cool robot battle scenes were SO wow cool robot.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    IronKnuckle's GhostIronKnuckle's Ghost This is also my fault Registered User regular
    I was approximately the same age as the characters when Eva came out. I have a decidedly different reaction to basically all of it, now.

• Options
    ElaroElaro Apologetic Registered User regular
    Actually, piloting the eva is, no metaphor involved,
    about channeling your love and affection in order to kill.
    It's a critique of
    I don't fuckin know, a lot of things? The use of emotional manipulation by the authorities? Japan's work ethic? Imperial Japan's "Greater Good" shtick? I don't know.

Children's rights are human rights.
  • Options
    NeveronNeveron HellValleySkyTree SwedenRegistered User regular

you know how the big meme is about how Shinji's a wimp because he doesn't want to get in the robot, and also really whiny and unmanly and whatever

yeah, I think it's fair to say that a lot of people completely missed any point NGE was trying to make on that front

• Options
    GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    Princess Tutu is good.

Old and made on a shoe-string budget but good.

• Options
    Dongs GaloreDongs Galore Registered User regular
    Evangelion is a deconstruction of how much i wanted to see boobies when i was 14

• Options
    ThegreatcowThegreatcow Lord of All Bacons Washington State - It's Wet up here innit? Registered User regular
    Neveron wrote: »

you know how the big meme is about how Shinji's a wimp because he doesn't want to get in the robot, and also really whiny and unmanly and whatever

yeah, I think it's fair to say that a lot of people completely missed any point NGE was trying to make on that front

Yeah watching eva now as I'm older, especially dealing with the heavy crap of life and depression, shinji's character makes a crapton more sense than it did to me back in school/college. I still don't dig the ending, but I do appreciate the metaphors and allegory used to illustrate Shinji's and the other character's suffering.

• Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Evangelion is a deconstruction of how much i wanted to see boobies when i was 14

Things have shifted in the interim, if your name tells me anything.

• Options
    GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    also one thing I think that everybody can appreciate about evangelion are its robot designs. they are sick.

also the music
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CHe9ks62m9s

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    We watched the Reigen OVA last night, and even though it was just a clip show, I really enjoyed the extremely corny overlaying of Reigen's head over other characters. Especially when it was Teru and his enormous hair.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    One person in chat said the music in Evangelion was really bad but that's okay, some people are allowed to be wrong about things.

• Options
    PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    One person in chat said the music in Evangelion was really bad but that's okay, some people are allowed to be wrong about things.

I've listened to the entire S2 works soundtrack, and some of the music is not very noteworthy at all, but every once in a while

https://youtu.be/zDmG4nClXUM

Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Moriveth wrote: »
    We watched the Reigen OVA last night, and even though it was just a clip show, I really enjoyed the extremely corny overlaying of Reigen's head over other characters. Especially when it was Teru and his enormous hair.

I would probably have appreciated the OVA more if I hadn't just watched the entire first season over the previous couple of days.
    I ended up just reading on my phone during most of it, and eventually just skipping to the end where it gets back to the framing.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Moriveth wrote: »

I would probably have appreciated the OVA more if I hadn't just watched the entire first season over the previous couple of days.
    I ended up just reading on my phone during most of it, and eventually just skipping to the end where it gets back to the framing.

Yeah, we finished Season 1 pretty recently so we were definitely looking at phones for most of it, but the frame story was fun enough.

• Options
    MillMill Registered User regular
    Eva is one of the series, where even if you hate it, it has plenty of music that is worth listening to outside of it.

I think what kills the series for me at this point, is that I just can't stand Shinji. I get what the series is going for, but really can't stand the character that gets the most screen time in the series.

• Options
    JansonJanson Registered User regular
    My opinions on mecha anime in general were colored by Martian Successor Nadesico, which was actually the first anime I ever watched. I remember it being an excellent parody of the genre, and I need to rewatch it to see how it holds up.

• Options
    ThegreatcowThegreatcow Lord of All Bacons Washington State - It's Wet up here innit? Registered User regular
    Janson wrote: »
    My opinions on mecha anime in general were colored by Martian Successor Nadesico, which was actually the first anime I ever watched. I remember it being an excellent parody of the genre, and I need to rewatch it to see how it holds up.

Maaaan now that title brings me back. That was coincidentally one of the first shows I watched in our high school anime club. Time to track that down for nostalgia's sake. /oldweeb

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular

Maaaan now that title brings me back. That was coincidentally one of the first shows I watched in our high school anime club. Time to track that down for nostalgia's sake. /oldweeb

Crunchyroll has it.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    GreasyKidsStuffGreasyKidsStuff MOMMM! ROAST BEEF WANTS TO KISS GIRLS ON THE TITTIES!Registered User regular
    The Eva track “Decisive Battle” is so hype https://youtu.be/ehX878lCKmo

• Options
    Polaritie wrote: »

Crunchyroll has it.

Cheers thank you!

• Options
    LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular

It's a deconstruction of giant robot anime, the super robot genre in particular (though it gets some licks in on the real robot genre too.) The whole point is to examine exactly how fucked up (and how fucked in general) the world would have to be to put a young teen into a mechanized weapon.

I think this is a major aspect of it, but I think the deeper point is probably regarding depression and feeling isolated from those around you.

“The Hedgehog’s Dilemma,” Anno’s original lyrics and the finalized lyrics for Komm Susser Tod and the like all are fairly blunt about it

waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    also given Eva’s relationship in borrowing from Ultraman, the themes dealt with, and the Studio heritage, I have to say that SSSS.Gridman is a vital answer to the anxieties Anno is talking about in Eva

waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    Lanz wrote: »
    also given Eva’s relationship in borrowing from Ultraman, the themes dealt with, and the Studio heritage, I have to say that SSSS.Gridman is a vital answer to the anxieties Anno is talking about in Eva

3.33 spoilers:
    Isn't the thesis of 3.33 basically that friends and love aren't going to solve your mental health issues?

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular

3.33 spoilers:
    Isn't the thesis of 3.33 basically that friends and love aren't going to solve your mental health issues?
    especially when they're all screaming at you for stuff you did without them telling you what you did!

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    edited June 2019

3.33 spoilers:

I think the thesis is more what it says on the title
    "You Can (Not) Redo"

Shinji's whole arc is basically having all the shit where he feels like he caused Third Impact*, and his goal is basically "I have to undo it and that'll fix everything!"

except he can't undo the apocalypse. All he can do is move forward in what remains, and I think him, Asuka, Mari and Rei is supposed to represent that. They're all kind of going off into an uncertain setting, but it's all they, or anyone else, really can

*I am still not sure exactly how much is his fault, considering aside from the immediate area of Tokyo-3, the world does not seem... particularly worse? Like folks certainly hadn't Instrumentalized into giant Eva-like things yet like in 3.33, and the Next Movie Preview has the whole thing with Kaoru taking his Eva into Terminal Dogma... so... maaaybe not actually Shinji's fault?

Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    I'm curious about Anno's feelings on 3.33. The film is apparently one whose production caused his depression to resurface again, but at the same time it feels like a... very bittersweet meditation on the above mentioned theme, moreso than the very, very bitter emotional tone of End of Evangelion.

waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options

3.33 spoilers:

I think the thesis is more what it says on the title
    "You Can (Not) Redo"

Shinji's whole arc is basically having all the shit where he feels like he caused Third Impact*, and his goal is basically "I have to undo it and that'll fix everything!"

except he can't undo the apocalypse. All he can do is move forward in what remains, and I think him, Asuka, Mari and Rei is supposed to represent that. They're all kind of going off into an uncertain setting, but it's all they, or anyone else, really can

*I am still not sure exactly how much is his fault, considering aside from the immediate area of Tokyo-3, the world does not seem... particularly worse? Like folks certainly hadn't Instrumentalized into giant Eva-like things yet like in 3.33, and the Next Movie Preview has the whole thing with Kaoru taking his Eva into Terminal Dogma... so... maaaybe not actually Shinji's fault?
    Sure, that all tracks with the mental health (esp. depression) metaphor.

• Options
    ElaroElaro Apologetic Registered User regular
    The music of Evangelion reminds me a whole goshdang lot of Thunderbirds. In fact, the whole EVA aesthetic reminds me of Thunderbirds a whole bunch. So much so that I keep forgetting that Eva doesn't have "pilot transitions into cockpit of vehicle" montages. The number of times I've dreamed of the Eva pilots going down chutes, tubes, etc into their cockpit is too high, considering it never happened.

Come to think of it, you know what would be an interesting adaptation of NGE? Remaking it using supermarionation. Okay, I'll admit it's a bad idea, but I like it so much!!! I can just see it now, the look on puppet Shinji's face, the chiaroscura, mm-mmm! Now the question is: do we do the EVAs as tokusastu or also as supermarionation?

Children's rights are human rights.
  • Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    i had a uh

very different mental image of what that word meant before i looked it up

https://youtu.be/xWUHkOyhR-M

uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    JansonJanson Registered User regular
    I’m just awesoming Elaro’s post for knowing about Thunderbirds. Looooved that show as a kid!

• Options
    BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular
  • Options
    crwthcrwth THAT'S IT Registered User regular
    garf.....

EzUAYcn.png
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Elaro wrote: »
    The music of Evangelion reminds me a whole goshdang lot of Thunderbirds. In fact, the whole EVA aesthetic reminds me of Thunderbirds a whole bunch. So much so that I keep forgetting that Eva doesn't have "pilot transitions into cockpit of vehicle" montages. The number of times I've dreamed of the Eva pilots going down chutes, tubes, etc into their cockpit is too high, considering it never happened.

Come to think of it, you know what would be an interesting adaptation of NGE? Remaking it using supermarionation. Okay, I'll admit it's a bad idea, but I like it so much!!! I can just see it now, the look on puppet Shinji's face, the chiaroscura, mm-mmm! Now the question is: do we do the EVAs as tokusastu or also as supermarionation?

As the Mother's Basement video I posted earlier notes, Eva took a number of design cues from the Gerry Anderson series UFO. As you're aware, Anderson was the person behind all the "supermarionation" series like Thunderbirds, Captain Scarlet, Terrahawks, etc.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    italianranmaitalianranma Registered User regular
    Enlong wrote: »

Things have shifted in the interim, if your name tells me anything.

Are we talking about Your Name again?! I’m feeling the stress of moving starting to build and that means it’s time for a good cry. I was about to pop in Your Name but then I remembered, “isn’t A Silent Voice on Netflix?” If I don’t post tomorrow I’ve probably cried myself to death, so don’t wait on me to make the next thread if that’s the case.

飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
This discussion has been closed.